What is a bad cache?

Donmoore

I don't think there is any such thing - or if there is, they are very rare.

One of the great things about caching is the variety and style of caches you find out there, with something for everyone. You hear some people moaning about a particular cache or style of cache and then see another group of cachers who absolutely love that kind of cache. Variety is the spice of life :)

From our own point of view, we don't like caches that take us to an area we don't feel comfortable in (rough urban area with lots of loitering teenagers for example) or an area with lots of litter, but apart from that, we enjoy all sorts of caches and don't really have a preference.

I agree with the Bolas Heathens. It's the variety of caches (and cachers) that make geocaching what it is. And long may it continue.

I have caches I liked, and those I didn't, but I wouldn't say that they were good or bad caches; and a cache I liked on a lovely fine day with great views, I would probably have hated doing in the rain and fog.

It would also be soul destrying to set a cache (and I've only set one so far) and then have it described (or worse still, listed) as a bad cache. It would put me off setting others.

JustAlan

The worst cache I've ever done was behind a derelict knackers yard overlooking a sewage farm. :) I was spotted poking around by the landowner who wanted to know what I was up to - I explained and offered to remove the cache but he was happy for it to stay (I would have done the caching world a favour if I had removed it!)

I'd set off for a days caching and this was my fourth find - it was so bad it took the wind right out of my sails and I spat my dummy out and came home... :)

When I tried to rate it on GCUK the lowest I could give it was half a star - it didn't even deserve that...

I don't think there is any such thing - or if there is, they are very rare.

One of the great things about caching is the variety and style of caches you find out there, with something for everyone. You hear some people moaning about a particular cache or style of cache and then see another group of cachers who absolutely love that kind of cache. Variety is the spice of life :)

From our own point of view, we don't like caches that take us to an area we don't feel comfortable in (rough urban area with lots of loitering teenagers for example) or an area with lots of litter, but apart from that, we enjoy all sorts of caches and don't really have a preference.

Agree totally with the heathens....

litter and urban not as good as wide open spaces and up on the hills:-)

but very very few 'bad'caches, pointless ones maybe but they all count for a smiley... though there was one in worsley.............

Whilst out on a cache hunt day with the Bucks Pussy, oops - Posse when we were taken to a beautiful little park surrounded by houses. The park was ver nice, lots of places to hide a regular cache, albeit, maybe a small one. However, the cache was a micro. Not a crime in itself, just the fact that ******* SPOILER******* gur zvpeb jnf nggnpurq zntargvpnyyl gb gur haqrefvqr bs gur fzryyvrfg Qbt cbb jnfgr ova, rire! **** END OF SPOILER ****

Not only was this unnecessary, in my opinion it was unhygenic. Did not enjoy this at all, taking into consideration all the other places it could have been hidden.

Oss!

I once found a micro cache that was attached by a magnet to the underside of a dog poo bin!

After a few comments in the logs (no pun intended!) the owner moved the cache!

(again no pun intended, honest!)

I wont name the cache, but at least it was an extra find for us!

I think the worst cache though was the one where me and the missus set out on a fine sunny day, drove 60 miles to the car parking area that i'd worked out on the map.

As we parked the car, the heavens opened - thunder, lightning and all that - so, we decided to eat the packed lunch in the car till the weather was better.

Unfortunately, i'd forgotten the food, and realised that i'd also left the cache page printout at home!

No dinner, no cache coords, and i'd left the mobile at home on charge, so I couldn't phone a friend!

Not the fault of the cache, I know, but it was a dark day for me, and I stayed in the dog house all the way home - and then some!

The worst cache I have ever done was not in this country but managed to hit every button on how not to set a cache.

-It was on a blind bend at the side of a road and you had to stand in the road to do it

-It was 100 yards from policeman with guns looking for people behaving suspiciously

-It was hidden beneath a 100 yard hedge and it could have been anywhere in that hedge.

-It was in a carpark of an airport

I did it 15 months ago and amazingly it's still going and apparantly no-one has ended up in prison looking for it.

A "bad" cache is any cache which cannot be found within ten seconds of arriving at the co-ordinates, or for which you are the first to log a DNF in ten pages of "found quickly" logs.

A "bad" cache quickly becomes an "excellent" cache in the following days when one instantly locates it and realises that on the previous attempt the GPS was upside down!

A few caches have been cropping up near me that I think are pretty poor in terms of the cache itself. Some are cheap and nasty containers - old plastic takeaway tubs for instance. One cache owner even admitted on the cache page that the box 'contained nothing exciting' - that was an overstatement!

Lisa

A few caches have been cropping up near me that I think are pretty poor in terms of the cache itself. Some are cheap and nasty containers - old plastic takeaway tubs for instance

Lisa

When I come across the mention of the use of Take Away containers in cache submissions. I make a "REQUEST" that the container should be changed for something more suitable.

If anyone who has found this type of container being used as an cache container, wishes to contact me privately, I am prepared to contact the owner and make a "PRIVATE REQUEST" that the container should be changed for something more suitable.

[Request and Private Request have been emphasized to make it clear that they do not mean Temporarily Disabling or Archiving of the cache/cache submission.]

A magnetic breath strip attached to the bottom of a MINGING dog poo bin in a park where you could have put a micro just about anywhere else or, dare I suggest, a small?

I would not have done it, having spotted where it was, but another member of the caching posse went in after it that day.

It stank!

BAD CACHES errr ummm

I think it all comes down to thoughtfulness.

The better caches are always those in which it is apparent to those of us retrieving the cache that the person setting the cache:

1) took time to prepare, chose a suitable container (not in a bin liner)

2) chose a suitable location (and even an obvious reason for the location)

3) drafted an appropriate writeup

4) provided helpful clues and assistance as appropriate

5) and was prepared to maintain the cache.

To be fair to UK Geocaching, the vast vast majority of caches we have done are enjoyable and great fun. Even the few that are really quite unpleasant have often become so without the cache owner being aware of the 'fly-tipping' or 'building work' going on and the setter has often taken immediate remedial action. There are however just a few caches ( fingers of one hand ) which candidly should never have been allowed out the box - so to speak. Wimbledon Common ( now archived because

Hi, this looks like the cache needs some checking as the coordinates seem to be causing problems for visitors. Could the owner please undertake a maintenance visit to check it out and replace any damaged items. In the meantime I'm archiving it but I'll happily unarchive it if/when it's sorted assuming it still meets the guidelines. Thanks, Lactodorum UK Admin
was a classic. ) It was wrong when it was set, the owner was emailed several times to correct it. He worked for an outdoor pursuits shop and used it cunningly to promote the shop - and to cap it all couldn't get the GPS coordinates right.

Thankfully such caches are very very rare. Keep up the good work Reviewers - creep creep crawl <_<<_<

Whilst out on a cache hunt day with the Bucks Pussy, oops - Posse when we were taken to a beautiful little park surrounded by houses. The park was ver nice, lots of places to hide a regular cache, albeit, maybe a small one. However, the cache was a micro. Not a crime in itself, just the fact that ******* SPOILER******* gur zvpeb jnf nggnpurq zntargvpnyyl gb gur haqrefvqr bs gur fzryyvrfg Qbt cbb jnfgr ova, rire! **** END OF SPOILER ****

Not only was this unnecessary, in my opinion it was unhygenic. Did not enjoy this at all, taking into consideration all the other places it could have been hidden.

Oss!

A magnetic breath strip attached to the bottom of a MINGING dog poo bin in a park where you could have put a micro just about anywhere else or, dare I suggest, a small?

I would not have done it, having spotted where it was, but another member of the caching posse went in after it that day.

It stank!

Same one Ali!!! Glad you agree.

Oss!

A bad cache......hmmmmm

A climb of 1500 feet...nope, can live with that cos it said so in the description

Triffid like thistles on both the climb and the location....nope, cos that's the nature of the country

Goats faeces everywhere......nope, tis the nature of goats

Cache 18 inches from a sheer 600 feet drop....yeah that's a bad cache!!