What's the record for getting muggled?

Sioneva

I'm feeling really discouraged here. I put out a CD exchange type cache only four days ago, one person found it three days ago, and when I went to check on it today, it's not in the spot where I hid it. I know the FTF would not have stolen it, I just thought I hid it well enough no muggle would ever accidentally stumble over it.

Teaches me to put good stuff in caches. I had four CDs and a nice game in there. :) What's the record for shortest muggling?

Edited by Sioneva

seems that all caches will be broken or stolen at some point.

if they are muggled within a couple of months, they simply weren't hidden well enough.

try again, and find a more out of the way spot. I don't know that CD caches will have as much of a life expectancy, as the temptation to steal them is obviously higher than a box full of broken mctoys.

Don't be discouraged - you simply found a spot that didn't work out too well. I have a hard time believing that a cd exchange cache would be more apt to be stolen than any other. I have a books on cd cache that is along I80 (far west Nebraska) and it has been in place for 3+ years.

Find a new spot, use better camo, think about how the spot will look in all 4 seasons. Find a good container - and try again. Best you can do.

It happens. It took a bit to get it though my head that cool spot means high muggle factor and that the ugly spot 100' over was perfect for the cache. Cachers will still check out what you want them to see but muggles will not venture over the 100'. YMMV.

In one spot I lost a larger cache. I replaced it with a smaller cache within 6" of the same spot and it lasted for years.

I'm feeling really discouraged here. I put out a CD exchange type cache only four days ago, one person found it three days ago, and when I went to check on it today, it's not in the spot where I hid it. I know the FTF would not have stolen it, I just thought I hid it well enough no muggle would ever accidentally stumble over it.

Teaches me to put good stuff in caches. I had four CDs and a nice game in there. :) What's the record for shortest muggling?

I'm sure there could never be an official record for fastest muggling, but there was one in my area that was muggled and archived before ever being found. Didn't sound very pleasant anyways :)GCK9VC

Sorry to hear about your cache, getting one muggled definately sucks. You'll bounce back though.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I had a cache that disappeared after only two days, during which time only one person found it. I went to replace the container in a slightly different spot at 1:30, another finder came by at 5:30, but within a timespan of only 4 hours it had disappeared again! :) I changed it to a full-sized container and moved it into the woods 15 feet away, and it wasn't bothered again for almost 3 years.

I have a cache that was stolen 4 times!

Oh... you mean how quickly?

Well anyways, I re-hid the cache right back where it was stolen from, and it was stolen again.

...and again

...and again

...After the 4th time of it being stolen, someone suggested I move it somewhere else.

I'm certainly glad they told me that, otherwise it might just get stolen again. :)

The funny thing was, it was a rusty altoids tin with a piece of paper in it :) . Silly people. :)

I have a cache that was stolen 4 times!

Oh... you mean how quickly?

Well anyways, I re-hid the cache right back where it was stolen from, and it was stolen again.

...and again

...and again

...After the 4th time of it being stolen, someone suggested I move it somewhere else.

I'm certainly glad they told me that, otherwise it might just get stolen again. :wacko:

The funny thing was, it was a rusty altoids tin with a piece of paper in it <_< . Silly people. <_<

Wow, I can ditto that! Altoid magnitized under a stairway.......and I gave up after 3 replacements. Wasnt anything good in it....just the log....oh, and the magnets, which I kept using bigger and stronger ones of before saying FORGET THIS!

On the other hand......I have had caches get muggled that make NO sense! Well hidden, place no one is going to really be, I go check, and cache is gone. Huh? These are almost always ones that I use a unique cache container for. Stands to reason, doesnt it. If it was an easily replaceable say.......film container in a lamp post, that one will stay for years. Geo life is not fair.

I placed a cache near a scenic location requiring a 1/4 mile swim and a steep hike that was found by two muggles in the week I put it out prior to listing it. They took the FTF prize and logged in, leaving the cache (it was chained in place to discourage incidental movement). Naturally, I removed it and am still working on a less obvious location and/or better camo.

If there's a location you think might be problematic, leave the empty cache container there with a dollar bill or quarter for a while before actually placing it. If it's gone, you don't have to go through the disappointment of placing an entire cache, listing it, and archiving it.

I did this on my cache that's literally one foot away from Muggles' view in a well-used park, and it turned out to be a great spot. On the other hand, I just placed a new cache in an out-of-the-way underused unlisted forest preserve with camouflague to match the surroundings, and it was muggled (contents thrown about) within a week. Go figure.

If there's a location you think might be problematic, leave the empty cache container there with a dollar bill or quarter for a while before actually placing it. If it's gone, you don't have to go through the disappointment of placing an entire cache, listing it, and archiving it.

I did this on my cache that's literally one foot away from Muggles' view in a well-used park, and it turned out to be a great spot. On the other hand, I just placed a new cache in an out-of-the-way underused unlisted forest preserve with camouflague to match the surroundings, and it was muggled (contents thrown about) within a week. Go figure.

That's a great idea! I'll have to keep that one in mind for next time.

I imagine that a CD exchange cache would have a higher likelihood of disapeering than, say, a McToy trading cache.

I have a Mickey D's toy cache that has never been muggled. Of course it is in the trashiest area. I am always afraid some one will clean up the area and the cache will go.

On a serious note, when I place a cache it will often sit for 3-4 weeks before I post it online just to see if it gets muggled. I test it by putting out the container with just one dollar in it. If it survives, so far they all have, I stock it with the real stuff and post it.

Three of my caches have been muggled. After replacing each one they have survived for a long time. No remuggling.

Loch Cache

I had one muggled by a squirrel before it was found the first time (GCRV6Y). I've replaced the container several times and moved the hiding spot around a few times but the little rascal is still at it. :unsure: Fortunately it's a nice bike ride to the location and it's now in a matchbox container which should be a little harder to break into than a film canister.

Had one cache where the container was muggled before the cache was even listed. The container, a large plastic drybox showed up 5 months later found by cachers looking for another cache in the same park, but nowhere near the general area of the original cache placement. I used this same container when I hid my next cache and it again went missing but showed up 2 months later about 100 feet from where it was originally placed with a log note from a hunter. My "popular" cache container has since been retired!

Edited by TMOCM

I have a cache called Orange and Blue, at a very busy (cars and pedestrian) location in Gainesville, FL. It has been muggled about a half dozen times, and has had

1. A bright orange M&M tube attached to an orange post of the same color

2. A US Army green pill vial hidden in a palmetto

3. A black 35 mm film container attached to a black fence post

4. A grey 35 mm film container attached to a grey post

5. One of those ultra small nanos with its own super magnet

6. And now (I hope) another 35 mm, painted olive green and back in the palmetto

I give it about a week until it is gone again. The good news is that it has about 40+ finds and it is at a location I drive by almost every day.

I've read of caches that were stolen before they were even listed.

I placed a nicely camouflaged ammo box in a hollow stump in the middle of the woods where seemingly nobody should ever have normally been. The morning that the cache was going to be listed (I scheduled it with the reviewer to be listed after a kick-off event that morning) I went out to seed it with a few travel bugs, only to find it gone.

I was stunned that anyone would have found that spot, much less the hidden cache.

I ended up making a rushed trip to Wally World for a roll of camo tape and a cheapo plastic container to get the cache replaced before everyone started hunting for it later in the day. I'm glad I didn't have the travel bugs in there earlier, as they'd be gone as well.

I'm not sure if I was more pissed about losing the nice ammo box or the $50 in swag that was inside (It was the final of a 17-stage series.)

So yes, it really can happen.

We have a cache at the end of our driveway called Big Log, which is really a six foot long log with a hole in it for a sharpie marker. The idea is that you drive up and sign the log with the marker. The same day it was listed I came home from work and found the marker destroyed and the pieces strewn about. The log was obviously too heavy to walk away with. I replaced the pen and it has not been tampered with since.