Switching to Macbook

bobkeenan

I have been geocaching for a few months now. I use a Dell laptop with windows XP, a Garmin 60Csx, a Palm pilot V, GSAK, and cachemate. Everything works great. I am using a software version of City Navigator 8 with one key used and one to go.

My main home computer is a older G4 Mac.

Well tonight my dell laptop is showing signs that it is near death. It nearly gave up the ghost a few months ago.

I was always planning on upgrading my home G4 to one of the new Macbooks.

I think it is time to do it now.

I also have an install disc for XP pro at home.

So here is the question...... will Mapsource, citynavigator 8, GSAK, and my palm V all work on the new Macbook if I load it with my Win XP pro (I think I can do this with apples bootcamp???).

So here is the question...... will Mapsource, citynavigator 8, GSAK, and my palm V all work on the new Macbook if I load it with my Win XP pro (I think I can do this with apples bootcamp???).

I don't see why not!

From what I heard you would be able to run any windows program thanks to the dual boot capability.

Yes, it will work just like any PC you would buy. I have tested both Mapsource & GSAK on a MacBook with Windows XP (SP2) and they work just fine, I'm sure that citynavigator 8 & Palm V would work as well. There is some Mac OS X software that works well too, Geocaching Menu, MacGPS Pro, GPSBabel+, etc.

The MacBooks do not just emulate windows, they run it flawlessly. You will be able to do anything that you might do on a windows computer.

Well... thanks for the advice. I got a macbook pro. Used bootcamp, then my XP pro.

Everything works!!

This is so cool....

Ok, I'm getting pissed off. I bought this shiny new powerbook g4 just a few days before they brought out the intel macs. I miss gsak terribly - I even used to run it in virtual pc but realized I was using about 5 gigs just to get smart waypoint titles on my 60c. My old computer just picked a lousy time to die.

Nothing personal really - enjoy your new computer!