Garmin GPSMap 60C Routing Issue

BMudButt

Hey All,

I recently purchased a Garmin 60C and am having a problem with the routing...

Whenever I select a waypoint to find, and choose to follow the road, it tries to tell me to go on a highway, all the time, even when I have "avoid highways" checked. What's worse, it doesn't give directions how to get to the highway, or how to get from the highway to the waypoint. It ignores my currently location and the waypoint entirely, instead just finding the nearest highway and highlighting a portion of it as my route. It's basically saying, "Go to this highway and drive on it for awhile".

I experimented a little by setting a waypoint a few roads away from my home and then trying to find it... At most it would have been two turns to get there. It was about two miles away. The route it calculated started about 20 miles from my location at a highway and took me AWAY from the waypoint.

Even though this is my first GPS, I've played with my friend's (which I think is the same model) and it always gave great, mostly accurate directions. I'm assuming what's happening with mine isn't supposed to happen, so I must be doing something wrong.

I've updated the firmware, I've resent the maps, and I've even switched batteries. I'm completely baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow! What a quick reply! Thanks so much!

Yes... I have the Metro Guide (v 6.01), which is what our local hunting/fishing store had on sale with the GPS units. I tried it out on my pc, just by typing in my address and a waypoint location, and it worked great!

The maps *look* great on the 60C... It just doesn't seem to be routing correctly...

I feel like such a dufus. :unsure:

Does the new version of Metro Guide do auto routing? I use City Select, and the only time it takes me on a highway is when that is the only way to get somewhere. Your GPS is acting like it is using the basemap to auto route.

I did have a proble similar to yours once, but after further investigation I found that I had forgotten to load the map segments necessary to route through the area I wanted and it had reverted to the basemaps.

Does the new version of Metro Guide do auto routing? I use City Select, and the only time it takes me on a highway is when that is the only way to get somewhere. Your GPS is acting like it is using the basemap to auto route.

I did have a proble similar to yours once, but after further investigation I found that I had forgotten to load the map segments necessary to route through the area I wanted and it had reverted to the basemaps.

MetroGuide is not compatible with units that are auto-route capable, including the 60CSx. I think that is your problem.

The link to the Garmin website for MetroGuide is below:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/MetroGuideNT.jsp

You will want either City Select or City Navigator for the 60CSx.

Yep, they sold you the wrong map product if you want to autoroute. You need city select or city navigator.

about 110 bucks

Wow! What a quick reply! Thanks so much!

Yes... I have the Metro Guide (v 6.01), which is what our local hunting/fishing store had on sale with the GPS units. I tried it out on my pc, just by typing in my address and a waypoint location, and it worked great!

The maps *look* great on the 60C... It just doesn't seem to be routing correctly...

I feel like such a dufus. :unsure:

Wow! Thank you, everyone, for all your help! I didn't know that about the auto-routing maps and the auto-routing GPS being incompatable.

hogrod: Thank you for the link! I tried img2gps and it worked great! I do think I'm going to uninstall MetroGuide though, and purchase City Navigator. I'm usually cursed when it comes to free software, and I'd feel more comfortable with the right software.

andman: I bought Metro Guide for about $90, and my GPS was about $200/$250. Thinking back on it, I suppose I should have researched it all a bit more, but it seemed like a decent price and I'm a sucker for a sale. Ah well, live and learn, I suppose. I'll take it back, get my refund and buy the correct maps.

Again, thank you all for the help! :)

you can load your maps with img2gps to get autorouting out of those metroguide maps. whats happening now with your gps it's just routing the base map(so it only sees the hwy's). I agree with the above posts, you got the wrong maps.

THANK YOU FOR THIS TIP!!!

I just got my new Garmin 60CSx for my birthday yesterday, along with the metroguide maps. These are the maps my dad had (which he got without really knowing what he was doing, either) when he visited and turned me on to caching a month ago. I was getting the weird "go to the highway 10 miles away" behavior with his GPS, too, but I thought it was something weird about the rural area we were in.

I just downloaded the above software and the relevant maps and got instant *good* directions! Maybe not always exactly how I would go, but definitely reasonable, usable directions. Thanks so much!