Some general and specific questions

hybridgeek

Ok, so after 57 cache finds, I still find myself with a few questions relating to how-to things in geocaching, but also ettiquite.

Pocket Queries:

I have an Explorist 600, and I can only store 200 caches per file. Pocket queries generate up to 500 per file, which is great for paperless caching, but not so great for my GPS. I have tried GSAK, but haven't had too much luck with it's advanced features (or even accomplishing really basic stuff... a question on this will follow). For all intensive purposes, lets PRETEND pocket queries can only generate 200 at time, and my GPS holds 200 at a time. If I wanted the nearest 1000 caches, how could I tell it to generate the nearest 200 from a point, and then in a second query, generate the next nearest 200 from where it left off (after the distance of the previously 200th cache) in a circular pattern (as opposed to entering the zip codes of bordering areas and generating new arcs)? Now, if I were to say enter 200 caches (again, pretend this is the max), and tell it to generate caches within 1000 miles from a zip code, will it generate more than one file for me if there are more than 200 caches in that 1000 miles (this would be the idea)? Now, even working with real numbers here, generating 500 caches, and loading them into cachemate and breaking them down to 200 cache segments for my explorist, this still leaves me with distances to be desired. I would like to be able to fit it ALL in there... muahaha... No, really, I go to Frederick alot, and sometimes head out to Baltimore, and would really like to fit all the caches here and there and inbetween without having to manually go in and find them and such. This goes for any destination. If I travel somewhere, and happen to go caching, I'd like to be able to generate a nice big continuous arc of caches, especially if I'm not familiar with the area. I also prefer a method like this because I print out maps of the roads in the areas I head to before hand, and a continous arc gives me a reference point for mapping purposes. Could someone help me out with some info on doing this? Next question..

GSAK:

Is there a guide out there for working with GSAK basic and advanced features? I'm a computer networking tech major and have always been a geek, but something about the layout of the program or just massive amount of options is really confusing me. I figured out sending the caches to cachemate, and I figured out sending them in 200 cache sections to my Explorist, except that it kept on telling me caches 1-198 encompassed more than 200 caches. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Someone point me in the right direction if perhaps there's a good guide as to setting up the advanced features, or at least that tells what they are and whether or not I should touch them. I'm a fan of "if it's not broken, don't fix it", but if I don't know what it's doing, how do I know if it's broken? Or not working the way I want it to? I rather not find out I'm missing info in my files or whatnot while out in the field. Next question...

Cache log stuff:

From other cachers, I've figured out TNLN, SL, TFTC, and a few other acronyms, but I see a whole bunch of others I can't figure out. Is there a list out there? For signing a log, I see some people post they signed the log (in the their online log; SL), is this neccessary? I haven't been because I figured, if I'm claiming a find, it assumes I've signed the log to mark my presence.

Rehiding a cache:

I see some people complain about finders not rehiding a cache as good as it was. This is understandable, and I do at least this on every cache I find, but is it appropriate to rehide a cache (same location of course) better than before to keep it hidden from muggles, even if the rehide makes it completely out of sight? I can understand adding a little to the cache hiding spot, but should it be completely rehidden beyond all views?

Explaining geocaching to muggles:

I find it necessary when confronted by a security guard, cop, etc (any authority figure) to explain geocaching and what I'm doing. When you encounter someone who is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, should geocaching be explain thoroughly, or should an excuse be made to cover up geocaching? It sounds like a paradox to me. If you explain geocaching to a random person, it may bring them into the game by getting them interested, but at the same time, that person could call the police, or maybe investigate later and muggle the cache. I've been raised that honesty is always the best answer, and so that's usually what I stick to, but I'm always afraid someone who shows up at an unfortunate time for me, could risk damaging the cache location/game. I'm sure this is a personal preference thing, but I'm looking for a little feedback on what others do.

I'm sure I have some more to ask later, but for now I'll put this out for now to be scrutinized and quoted to death. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. And please, criticize my methods if neccessary, as I am just starting out and want to do everything in my power to have a good time but protect the game.

-Hybridgeek

Explorist: Beyond me, I use a Garmin :unsure: Though there is a way...but a maggie user will have to explain.

GSAK: I use about 1/100th of what this can do. It's got a steep learning curve. That probably means it's the greatest thing since sliced bread but I just can't seem to work up the enthusiamsto get through that curve. Others have and will fill you in.

Cache Log Stuff: Prime Suspect keeps a list of anacronyms.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prime.suspect/geolex/

Rehiding A cache:

Same location exactly. Better camo is usually ok. If you have to move it for any reason email the owner so they can check it out.

Explaining Geocaching to Muggles:

Don't get caught. If you do get caught normally the truth is the best policy. If your 6th sence tells you otherwise, lie. If you can't get away with lie and you think the cache is in harms way take the cache with you and email the owner with an appology about compromising the cache.

I only have the Explorist 210, but if you got Magellan Geocache Manager with your GPSr, you can do this:

Make your pocket query to get 500 caches. Download it. Open the file with Geocache Manager. You will see the full list of 500 caches. Highlight the first 200 entries, then hit transfer, and pick "Selection". Save it to one file. Then highlight the next 200, and transfer, using a different file name. This will quickly let you get all query files into your Explorist.

Mike (Mike & Kate)

I only have the Explorist 210, but if you got Magellan Geocache Manager with your GPSr, you can do this:

Make your pocket query to get 500 caches. Download it. Open the file with Geocache Manager. You will see the full list of 500 caches. Highlight the first 200 entries, then hit transfer, and pick "Selection". Save it to one file. Then highlight the next 200, and transfer, using a different file name. This will quickly let you get all query files into your Explorist.

Mike (Mike & Kate)

Yes, you can load 200 caches per file and yes you can load multiple files. Just remember you have to activate the file you wish to use. I have multiple folders for different states. Inside each state's folder I have multiple files for different general locations where I will be searching. Just today I wondered why a local cache I wanted to hunt wasn't being displayed, then I remembered I had switched to a file for another part of the state. All I had to do was activate the proper file. This helps to keep your screen from being so cluttered.

Now your problem. Are you using a SD card? or loading the cache info into the Explorist's internal memory? If loading into the internal memory you may have to first clear the old caches out prior to loading. The SD card is the way to go, you can not only load multiple cache files but also multiple maps (topo or road) the same way. Just have to remember to activate for the area you are in.

O and you can adjust your PQ to limit your results to 200. Good Luck

hybridgeek, thanks for the great questions.

I'm new to this as well and will be watching this to see what the veterans have to say.

As for the Explorist, I suggest doing what Mike & Kate, and SgtSue discussed. Once you get the folder/file system down it works beautifully.

If you're to Frederick or Baltimore (makes me homesick, used to live in Rockville, miss it terribly, sorry off topic) I'd look at doing using the "caches along a route" option. Is new, I'm still playing with it, but for your trips to and from, etc. it may be worthwhile.

Thanks all for the prompt and info-filled responses! You've answered all my questions for now, except for the biting one...

Is there is a way to make a pocket query that fills up 500 of the closest caches, and then creates another file (or however) that continues the cache listing in the same radius out from the first 500? (so I could create a cache file radius of x-miles with 1000+ caches in the radius)

I am using a SD card (1 Gb) to store my detail map and all my geocache points on. I frequently make multiple files, but I can't manage to mass produce large radius continous cache files (my current method is going through the search page and downloading 180 caches (sometimes I add one later and need the error room) to a file and name it by the radius, but it takes a long time and is a pain to redo (which is needed from time to time))

OFF TOPIC:

biosearch: that's cool that you lived in Rockville. I go to MC down there. I've been over in MV my whole life and love the area. Have you been back to Rockville lately? It is becoming built up massively!!

-Hybridgeek

Is there is a way to make a pocket query that fills up 500 of the closest caches, and then creates another file (or however) that continues the cache listing in the same radius out from the first 500? (so I could create a cache file radius of x-miles with 1000+ caches in the radius)

-Hybridgeek

Short version - No.

Long version - The PQ is a radius from a center point, therefore you can not keep creating further and further out as you describe. You instead use the filter feature in GSAK for distances. less than, greater than, between x and y. It is well worth the learning curve.

And don't forget to try the "cache along a route" new option that biosearch spoke of. You can even vary the distance from the road if you are willing to travel further out.

Rehiding a cache:

I see some people complain about finders not rehiding a cache as good as it was. This is understandable, and I do at least this on every cache I find, but is it appropriate to rehide a cache (same location of course) better than before to keep it hidden from muggles, even if the rehide makes it completely out of sight? I can understand adding a little to the cache hiding spot, but should it be completely rehidden beyond all views?

Make a reasonable effort to hide it completely from sight. Start with hiding it as you found it, and if necessary add to it, but not too much. If it's questionable, tell the owner.

I've found caches sitting out in plain site and yes, that's what the owner intended. Well, granted it had a couple sticks laying on top of it. Never try to get it closer to ground zero.

lets PRETEND pocket queries can only generate 200 at time, and my GPS holds 200 at a time. If I wanted the nearest 1000 caches, how could I tell it to generate the nearest 200 from a point, and then in a second query, generate the next nearest 200 from where it left off (after the distance of the previously 200th cache) in a circular pattern (as opposed to entering the zip codes of bordering areas and generating new arcs)?

You use date range for this - set up your center point and distance - then ask for caches PLACED BETWEEN Jan 2000 and Dec 31 2002 - preview your results, if that's 200 or fewer, good. If it's more than 200, narrow the PLACED date range, until you get the 200 cache results you want. Now build a second query from Jan 01 2003 forward to Dec 31 2004 preview, adjust dates... I hope this makes sense.

Ok, so after 57 cache finds, I still find myself with a few questions relating to how-to things in geocaching, but also ettiquite.

...snip...

Explaining geocaching to muggles:

I find it necessary when confronted by a security guard, cop, etc (any authority figure) to explain geocaching and what I'm doing. When you encounter someone who is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, should geocaching be explain thoroughly, or should an excuse be made to cover up geocaching? It sounds like a paradox to me. If you explain geocaching to a random person, it may bring them into the game by getting them interested, but at the same time, that person could call the police, or maybe investigate later and muggle the cache. I've been raised that honesty is always the best answer, and so that's usually what I stick to, but I'm always afraid someone who shows up at an unfortunate time for me, could risk damaging the cache location/game. I'm sure this is a personal preference thing, but I'm looking for a little feedback on what others do.

Print out many copies of the Geocaching Brochure: http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html

If you're stopped by the cops, follow their directions, then give them a copy of this brochure once they have determined that you are not a safety hazard to them. You'll probably get a convert. :)

Rehiding a cache:

That is exactly want I do. As for this question I think you are doing a great job, but hay I am a newbe to. :)