Meridian Gold vs Explorist 400/500

supertbone

I do not agree that lack of firmware support is an issue. The Meridians have had several generations of firmware updates and they work well. I have had the base model Meridian Green, and it has worked flawlessly for 3.5 years. It does not need a firmware update, it it very functional. The gold is a full featured GPSr that works very well.

That said, I also have the 500 and like its more advanced file/memory system, USB connection, color screen, battery system, size.

I've had the Gold for the last 8 months and really like it. Part of its apeal to me is the larger screen, old eyes don't like small screens, and larger controls, same for larger hands. I use it in the car on 12 volts a lot traveling up and donw the east coast to my daughters and the gold has been trouble free so far. I would think they had the bugs out by now or hope so. I alsohave a Garmin Legend C and like it also, but the smallest of itanoyes my eyes and hands. In winter I need to remove my gloves to play around with it and I need my glasses on to read it. At some point I see a new 60 series Garmin, but only if one of these units quits and I can't get it repaired, or I just find a good deal on a new one I can't turn down. Truth is, I carry both the Meridian Gold and the Legend C together. The Gold is on in the car until I get to target. Then its a toss up. In summer leaf cover, the Gold gets it done better. Both are pretty good units. Now that the weather is cooling off, I can get back out there and enjoy it again. The bugs here in CT will driv eyou nuts in the summer. Just started back up again hunting them and the addiction has resurfaced.

SwampYankee