Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Lost Brews

Fox Hunt Cache

I am looking to design a cache that uses a signal to help find it like in "Fox Hunting" Does anyone have a design for a small trasmiter that i could some how keep on all the time, The cacher would have to build a small antena for triangulating in on the radio signal. Do any of you think this is possible i do know it is a very specialized cache. Thank

Lost Brews

I had fun building this UHF Fox Transmitter & Programmer. (A UHF antenna is of course smaller and more manageable in the woods.) Here is a link to a nice RDF site and believe it or not here is a link to an excellent GeoFox Hunting site. Wait.. but there's more on Fox Hunting here. I don't remember where I saw it but I have seen Fox transmitters powered with re-chargeable batteries connected to solar panels. Good luck on your project... sounds like fun!

I am looking to design a cache that uses a signal to help find it like in "Fox Hunting" Does anyone have a design for a small trasmiter that i could some how keep on all the time, The cacher would have to build a small antena for triangulating in on the radio signal. Do any of you think this is possible i do know it is a very specialized cache. Thank

Lost Brews

Try looking at the animal tag suppliers. They can supply very long life radio beacons that would be ideal for tagging caches. They can also supply suitable DF receivers. It may be possible to use the same technology but operating within the ham bands.

Lost Brews

You didn't mention if you were a ham or not.

If so then if a Ham xmiter you need to be able to ID, keep legal. etc.

If not a Ham, as somehow it seems from the post thne you can't xmit in the ham bands.

Why not use one of the small IPOD style FM xmiters?

Rig it to some small solar cells and rechargeable battery. For me the hardest part would be feeding audio - if you could use a solid state voice chip or such that just did endless loop of Cache cache would be nice.

I'd keep power real low and co-ords no closer than 100 yards. Get them close then use radio to find.

n8PFF