Disabling Travel Bug Prisons (Hotels)

Hula Bum

Sorry to say, but if the coins aren't yours and are meant to travel, then that is what they should be doing, travelling without restrictions placed by people that don't have the right to restrict them.

I think that what your doing is with the best of intentions, as you just want people to get to see coins, but they're still not yours to put rules on.

so what do you guys think of my cache??

GCVW9T B)

I'd say you were very lucky. And from my experience a car is the very worst place to be during a tornado. But we try.

As for the trade restrictions, whatever, you know what's been discussed. Did you tell these coin owners that you were using their coins for this project? People release travelers to travel, if you want to change that goal maybe you should clear it with the owner first.

i started the cache with my own coins and that is all i ever put in there peolple love this cache and tommy trojin even sold me a coin for being a good sitter for his coin while they are there I take them out and get there pictures taken and if they are there for more that three weeks I move them and replace them with my own!! I hope people dont think this is a prision!!

I'm assuming that people have to trade your coins with other coins they picked up along the way.

If it's a 'you have to own the coin that you drop to take one' kind of cache, go for it!

If people are dropping coins purchased and released by other people and you restrict its travel by requiring the next cachers to drop coins purchased and released by other people, then yes it’s a prison.

Bottom line: If you don’t own it, you don’t set the goal. and if you are saying that people can't move my coin unless they meet your requirements, then you are trying to take over control of my coin.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ok, I didn't feel like going through the pages of hotels with rules, but I went through some and here are a few results. Very true, some "prisons" have a good open door and the bugs move through nicely, others on the other hand......

GCRTV1

9 Bugs total

7 of 9 have been in there longer than 5 wks

one has been there since june and two since july

last visit to this cache on 9/26

GCNX7W

8 bugs total

5 of 8 been there >4 wks

two have been there since may

last visit 9/28

GCK2G8

8 bugs total

3 of the 8 have been there more than 3 months

last visit 10/9

GCKGGB

6 bugs total

2 or the 6 been there >5 weeks

1 has been there since june

last visit 10/1

GCTMHZ

11 bugs total

8 of 11 >5 wks and 4 of them have been there more than 2 months

2 have been there since may

last visit 10/8

And as far as being an "anarchist"......... I don't see how you, or anyone else has any right to impose rules on TB's that do NOT belong to you. I'm talking about a rule to PROTECT and help MOVE Travel Bugs and. After all, we bought the tags with goal of having them move (note the word travel in their name) and people who put these restrictions are hampering that.

It is very true that these "hotels" get hit often, however bugs also get stuck in them, sometimes for months because of these "trade" rules.

Have you visited these caches to verify the 'facts' you are presenting?

Could it be that a(several) newbie(s) took some of those TBs, and have yet to figure out what to do with them?

As far as I'm concerned, every cache is as much a TB hotel as the next (assuming they are big enough to hold one!)

If the owner wants to proclaim their cache as a place to leave TBs, then I will make sure to leave at least one in the cache, but I might take some and not drop any from my inventory...it depends. This is as a courtesy to other cachers who will be coming after me and expecting to get a TB for their effort, and NOT because of any owner imposed 'rules'.

I doubt anyone has had their legitimate log deleted due to not following TB trade rules, but I could be wrong.

The problem is that beginners (and probably even experienced cachers!) are afraid of loosing that precious smiley for not following the 'rules'.

If I owned a TB Hotel/flophouse/B&B/spaceport/motel/rest stop, I certainly would not want to get anyone riled up by deleting their valid log!

If my log gets deleted because the owner doesn't like my TB protocol... :(

I have had several people that don't follow trade even rule heck I have even had people take coins and not write it in the logbook just on the site and have never deleted them people dont trade even all of the time not a big deal I just buy more coins and put them in so 95 percent of the time the coins in the cache are mine I bought!! The way I figure it is it is A GAME FOR FUN so we have fun trading bugs and coins and everyone has there own opinion!

I must be missing something here. As an owner of several Travel Bugs I know I get a lot more fun out of following the one that made over a dozen stops on a journey of over 10,000 miles, crossing the country twice, than wondering what happened to one stuck in a South Carolina cache for 6 months. The object of these things is to TRAVEL, not sit in one cache. The reward to the owners is to SEE them travel. I would far rather go to a TB motel and find it empty than see a bunch of TB's sitting and dissapointing their owners. Either I have not read the fine print on the TB hotels I have visited or have not hit a prison. If I do find one my philosophy is simple, moving the bug toward his goal and helping his owner enjoy his TB comes first.

I must be missing something here. As an owner of several Travel Bugs I know I get a lot more fun out of following the one that made over a dozen stops on a journey of over 10,000 miles, crossing the country twice, than wondering what happened to one stuck in a South Carolina cache for 6 months. The object of these things is to TRAVEL, not sit in one cache. The reward to the owners is to SEE them travel. I would far rather go to a TB motel and find it empty than see a bunch of TB's sitting and dissapointing their owners. Either I have not read the fine print on the TB hotels I have visited or have not hit a prison. If I do find one my philosophy is simple, moving the bug toward his goal and helping his owner enjoy his TB comes first.

Amen to that. I get so frustrated when I see that someone visits a cache (not necessarily even a TB hotel) containing one of my TB's and then writes in their log, "Didn't take the TB because I had none to leave" or something of the sort.

I don't think that the general caching population understands that a TB is not a swag item therefore does not need to be traded. These TB hotels that have restrictions of "trade one for one" or "take one leave one" or "there must be a minimum of three TB's in this cache at all times" do nothing to promote the TB as a non-trade item to the general geocaching community.

And I, for one, would rather see someone pick up my TB and move it to another cache without concern for its goal than have it sit in the same cache for months because none of the visitors had a TB to "trade" for it.

But that's just my $.02.

Cheers

Butterfly, I think it's a kewl cache. Don't be disillusioned by the vocal minority. It's no more a prison than any other cache. I recently rescued a bug that had been left in one of my own caches for 7 months. (no, it's not a TB hotel) Does that make my cache a prison? This is a game. Enjoy it. If you ever reach a point where you stop enjoying it to such an intense degree that your only option is lashing out at others through forum based insults, please find another hobby. This game can be angst free, if you let it.

Oh Please... nobody is lashing out, and it is the majority not the minority that are pointing out the facts that if your cache holds bugs by trade rules it is a prison. It is not opinion, it is fact, that nobody but the owner of the bug has the right to place rules on their bug. It's really that simple.

And with that, would a moderator please close this thread as it seems to have run its course?

So let me see if I have this right. GC sells us a travel bug that is sold under the ideal of being a trackable item that moves from place to place, picking up stories along the way. TPTB state pretty clearly that travel bugs are meant to travel, hence the name. So everyone from the buyer to the seller are on the same page. Now GC allows cache owners to put stipulations on their cache pages which appear to supercede the travel bug owners rights. Sure there will always be a few people who won't adhere to the cache page rules, but aren't we suppose to as good cachers? Seems to me the only thing we are lacking is TPTB stating this practice is no longer acceptable. Worked fine when they got rid of pocket caches. How about it GC? Seems rather simple to me.

Still nothing with my thoughts on it. Doesn't GC have an obligation to the buyers to help protect the TBs from cache owner's rules?