Public vs Private Property

4 Walls

What is the difference? I have heard from various local cachers that they consider the parking lot at a mall public property.

I contend it is private property, with public access.

I also believe since it is private property that permission is required to place a cache.

What do you think?

Dan

What is the difference? I have heard from various local cachers that they consider the parking lot at a mall public property.

I also believe since it is private property that permission is required to place a cache.

What do you think?

Dan

When you click on the link to place a cache, GC.com is putting ALL responsibility on the cache placer to determine that they have PERMISSION to place the cache, regardless if it is public or private property.

If everyone actually tried to get permission, the total caches would probably be cut by a third.

A parking lot is private property.

And there are many caches placed on "public land" without permission, even though many have restrictions.

Some people think that just because no one complains, that it's ok, but often that's not the case.

isn't this the same as your other thread?

B)

lol

I guess he couldn't wait the 14 minutes for an answer. (I didn't even realize I had replied to him in two different threads)

But I do find it interesting that so many fun lovin' family type folks put out caches "assuming" that they have permission to place caches wherever they think is a "neat place"...

There's a funny quote about "assume" - it makes an ___ out of _ and __...

Any place of public accomodation is a valid location to consider placing a cache.

Places of public accomodation may or may not be private. They also may or may not require permission. Public lands are more likely to accomodate the public. However that's not writ in stone. Lastly just because it's a place of public accomodation doesn't mean it's a good place to put a cache.

Any place of public accomodation is a valid location to consider placing a cache.

Places of public accomodation may or may not be private. They also may or may not require permission. Public lands are more likely to accomodate the public. However that's not writ in stone. Lastly just because it's a place of public accomodation doesn't mean it's a good place to put a cache.

I'm truly curious (I really don't know about public accomidation), does GC.com say that?

[...I'm truly curious (I really don't know about public accomidation), does GC.com say that?

I stole it from letterboxing. But as far as I know GC.com merely addresses the adequate permission angle which covers all land types and ownership. Technicaly you can get permission to place caches in areas that don't accomodate the public or which are not good locations for a cache regardless. Public accomodation, suitability, and adequate permission work hand in hand.

Edited by Renegade Knight

[...I'm truly curious (I really don't know about public accomidation), does GC.com say that?

I stole it from letterboxing. But as far as I know GC.com merely addresses the adequate permission angle which covers all land types and ownership. Technicaly you can get permission to place caches in areas that don't accomodate the public or which are not good locations for a cache regardless. Public accomodation, suitability, and adequate permission work hand in hand.

If what you say is true, then GC.com is a farce.

Placing a cache somewhere just because you think you can is idiotic in the extreme.

If what you say is true, then GC.com is a farce.

Placing a cache somewhere just because you think you can is idiotic in the extreme.

This thread is similar but rather than ask multiple questions in a thread I thought I would break them apart.

Also, I would say the guidelines of GC.com are very carefully written. The intent that they are written for I will let you decide.

Dan

You must live in fear. I place caches where I can. That's a world of difference from where I think I can. When I need permission I obtain it, where I don't, I don't. Thus far with more than 50 caches placed and 1000 found it's worked.

Private property is all well and good but if the world is reduced to a narrow corridor between my house and work and I can only leave that road for legitimate and legally authorized business purposes, what the heck would be the point? Private property taken to an extreme is every bit as bad as communism and no private property at all.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Ok, I am not very familiar with that either. But I take it to mean an area that the public can enter or access without paying a trespass fee, admission, have to obtain permission to enter etc is public accomodation. Thereby making a parking lot at the mall public accomodation. Is that correct?

If it is you still have areas a parking lot in which public accomodation do not apply. These areas may be sprinkler control boxes for the medians, the shrouds on lightposts, access panels on signs and lights etc. Additionally would it not be necessary to obtain permission to attach anything to any of these things. Public accomodation does not give carte blanche.

Dan

You must live in fear. I place caches where I can. That's a world of difference from where I think I can. When I need permission I obtain it, where I don't, I don't. Thus far with more than 50 caches placed and 1000 found it's worked.

Private property is all well and good but if the world is reduced to a narrow corridor between my house and work and I can only leave that road for legitimate and legally authorized business purposes, what the heck would be the point? Private property taken to an extreme is every bit as bad as communism and no private property at all.

Fear? No.

I have Respect.

Respect for others and other's property, be it public (mine and yours), or private.

Putting your own property on anothers just because you think that's your right is just silly in my mind.

You "place caches where you can"? If you tried to place a cache in my front yard without my permission, you might want to wear one of those fancy vests.

If you want to start getting all technical - most parks are "owned" by some government entity and they "accomadate" public access. Just because the Government owns it doesn't mean the public can go there. (reference area 51)

In that light, I see little difference between a parking lot and a park where Geocaching is concerned.

Not that I geocache in parking lots as a general rule but it has little to do with permission.

What do you think?

Dan

Most parking lot caches suck :) .

Outside of the issue of is/isn't it private, there is the more important question of 'will the reviewer ask if I have permission, or just assume I did what i'm supposed to do?'

Per the guidelines it says..........

if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the notes for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.

It seems that seldomly does a listing show a statement indicating permission. Unless the listing shows Adequate permission was granted on any private property it is suspect and in my opinion should not be listed and if listed should not be sought by ethical cachers.

Dan

Places of public accomodation may or may not be private.

If it is you still have areas a parking lot in which public accomodation do not apply. These areas may be sprinkler control boxes for the medians, the shrouds on lightposts, access panels on signs and lights etc.

Unless the areas you refer to are fenced off, public accomodation DOES apply; it is not illegal for a member of the public to be on the parking lot next to such items, or even to touch/handle them (as long as there is not signage saying "Do Not Touch").

That isn't the same as tampering with them in a way that would cause a hazard or prevent their proper use, which IS illegal.

WRT the shrouds on most light posts, tucking a film can or small magnetic box under them does NOT present any hazard nor interfere with their function. The function of those shrouds is to protect the bolts which fasten the pole to the base from weather, and it does no harm to have a film can sitting under there. There is no exposed wiring or other hazard.

Similarly, sticking magnetic objects to the outside of wiring boxes of various sorts is not tampering unless the object is placed in such a way that it would interfere with access to the interior, or create a hazard.

What do you think?

Dan

Of course you are 100% correct. Could a group of 5 teenagers skateboard there without permision? Could they play a game of paintball? More importantly, could they do it outside of normal business hours, as most parking lot micro cache descriptions apparently invite people to do? But I've been ranting about this for years, and no one cares. The parking lot micro is here to stay, and will eventually become the dominant cache type in urban and suburban areas, if it isn't in many already. Get used to it

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the notes for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.
It seems that seldomly does a listing show a statement indicating permission. Unless the listing shows Adequate permission was granted on any private property it is suspect and in my opinion should not be listed and if listed should not be sought by ethical cachers.

You might want to take a quick read of Lep's and Criminal's posts in this or the similar thread (I keep getting them confused. The threads, that is, I can keep Lep and Crim straight. ).

Edited by sbell111
... The parking lot micro is here to stay, and will eventually become the dominant cache type in urban and suburban areas, if it isn't in many already. Get used to it
You know, people have been saying that for the last four years. Surprisingly, when I run a PQ of all non-micros in my area that I haven't found it gives me 500 options in my local area.

I'm not that concerned about parking lot micros taking over. Ever. For them to take over, you would have to be willing to stop hiding and seeking other kinds of caches. When do you think that's going to happen?

Dan

Given that any cache owner listing a cache has indicated that they have adequate permission for the cache, Ethical cachers can seek caches listed on this site. They only need to be aware that nothing is fool proof even if the cache owner has explicit written permission from any conceivable party of interest and has posted a photo of the signed permissions to the cache page.

As a matter of policy I don't list my permissions status on the cache page. All you need to know to seek a cache I list is the coordinates and the information I do present. If I feel something is important I'll call it out on the cache page. It doesn't need to be lost among all the other things people feel should be on the cache page. Most of which should go without saying so the critical things can stand out.

"This cache has stinging Nettle surrounding it" stands out. In the warning below it doesn't.

This cache was placed with permission, a copy of the permission form may be obtained by sending a SASE along with a 25 cent photocopy fee to 123 Anystreet, anytown USA. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Warning this cache may kill you. There are pesticides in use on the nearby farms. They may grow peanuts, and ragweed has been observed in the area. The fisherman that may be present can be crotchety if they think you are scaring the fish or worse horning in on their fishing hole. The adjoining farmer sometimes is in the fields and keeps a wary eye on strangers in this spot as if he owns it. He has a gun rack in his truck and more often than not it's got a gun in it that should be assumed to be loaded. Kids use this area as a party spot and you may cut yourself on the aluminum cans and broken bottles. Cito some of the debris out as you leave. This is rattlesnake country, and bees and wasps can be nesting nearby. Water Moccasins are not unheard of but rare. The water is wet, and does cause drowning, plus it can buch up your underwear and rub your crotch raw if you get too wet. Swimmers itch has been reported in the gravel pit and if you drink the water you may have to deal with beaver fever, cryptosporitiam, giardia and a bunch of other things I can't spell. Bums frequent the area and if you step in human scat beware that the risk of Hepatitis A and B exists. If you eat the raspberries you may risk e-coli and since you are by water mosquitoes should be assumed to carry west nile. The rest area across the street may or may not contains men looking to pay you some special attention, do not make eye contact and walk into the bushes or you may have to explain yourself. If in fact you frequent the rest area and happened to notice the cache beware of STD's, and bring a blanket as the thorns from the raspberry bushes can be rather prickly. Oh and by the way there is stinging nettle by the cache.

What do you think?

Dan

Yes, the mall (or Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc) parking lot is private property. The public is allowed to be there, generally for the purposes of patronizing the business(es) that provided the parking area. If you're looking for a cache on your way to or from the store, there isn't really much the management can do. You are a customer there and have their permission to be in that location.

If you are not there for that purpose, you may be considered to be loitering. If you don't move along when asked, you may be cited for it.

Yes, the mall (or Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc) parking lot is private property. The public is allowed to be there, generally for the purposes of patronizing the business(es) that provided the parking area. If you're looking for a cache on your way to or from the store, there isn't really much the management can do. You are a customer there and have their permission to be in that location.

If you are not there for that purpose, you may be considered to be loitering. If you don't move along when asked, you may be cited for it.

More than once I've ended a cache day at a lame ol parking lot micro just so I was close to a source of liquid refreshment and junk food. What better way to end a cache day than to be able to parch your thirst and slake your hunger.

Cachers are customers and vice versa.

... If you are not there for that purpose, you may be considered to be loitering. If you don't move along when asked, you may be cited for it.
Then again, how long does it take to log a lamp post micro?

Exactly.

Most store owners don't mind if you buy something and spend a few extra minutes in the parking lot. In fact, the longer you are there the more likely it is that you might buy something else.

The problem is when there are so many "extra" visitors to the location that aren't there to buy things. The owner isn't getting reimbursed for the wear and tear on the area (it costs money for them to maintain the parking lot and landscaping). If the owner feels that they want to enforce their property rights and the loitering laws, then it is not going to be a good place for a cache, regardless of how long said cache has been there. You can still park there if you have business, but the owner may be on the lookout for those that are only visiting the cache location. Whether the owner knows there is a cache there or not doesn't matter, all they are concerned with is whether you are a customer or something else.

... If you are not there for that purpose, you may be considered to be loitering. If you don't move along when asked, you may be cited for it.
Then again, how long does it take to log a lamp post micro?

Exactly.

Most store owners don't mind if you buy something and spend a few extra minutes in the parking lot. In fact, the longer you are there the more likely it is that you might buy something else.

The problem is when there are so many "extra" visitors to the location that aren't there to buy things. The owner isn't getting reimbursed for the wear and tear on the area (it costs money for them to maintain the parking lot and landscaping). If the owner feels that they want to enforce their property rights and the loitering laws, then it is not going to be a good place for a cache, regardless of how long said cache has been there. You can still park there if you have business, but the owner may be on the lookout for those that are only visiting the cache location. Whether the owner knows there is a cache there or not doesn't matter, all they are concerned with is whether you are a customer or something else.

That may be true for other chain stores, but from what I've heard, Wal-Mart has made a stand more than once against placing any type of cache on their property for "security reasons" and that they *will* prosecute anyone placing one or trying to retrieve one...at least according to one of the logs that was left by "wal-mart security" for a cache that has been archived. I can't figure out which one it is right now though. I don't know if it was someone posing as security or if it was valid. I work there and the impression that I get is that they really don't care. I guess it all depends on how much power one of those little nitwit children that they hire as managers want to feel like they have. :)

there's a city owned college campus near here.

They receive millions of state and city tax dollars each year for the campus. Taxes which they have no problems collecting from me.

According to the assessor map I use, a portion is campus, and another part is owned directly by the city. This area is a beautiful forest area with several different types of forest tall pines in one area, beautiful deciduous trees in another. And there are some interesting caves as well. A walking trail goes near the area. It's just a great place for people to visit.

They will not allow caches there, in fact, they claim that noone is even allowed on the campus grounds unless they are a student of the colleges located there.

This really made me mad. I'm expected to pay for this facility, but I'm not allowed to even set foot on it, when there is a very valid use for it?

"adequate permisssion" are those weasel words favored by the caching community. It gives us cachers the "cover" we need to hide and seek caches where we pretty much want too. It also give geocaching.com the cover it needs to allow the maximum number of caches and fee's-paying cachers. It is a business after all.

If you find yourself thinking twice or looking over your shoulder, chances are you don't have "adequate permision".

Fear? No.

I have Respect.

Respect for others and other's property, be it public (mine and yours), or private.

Putting your own property on anothers just because you think that's your right is just silly in my mind.

You "place caches where you can"? If you tried to place a cache in my front yard without my permission, you might want to wear one of those fancy vests.

Someone leaves you a free ammobox in your yard, and you get all bent out of shape?

GET A GRIP,MAN! :(

...I have Respect.

I'm not seeing your respect in these forums.

There comes a time in every date where you either have to go for the kiss or recognize it's a lost cause and move on. When is that moment? It's sure as heck not when you think you can't. It's probably closer to when you think you can. You will know soon enough if you read all the variables correctly.

Kissing a date and geocaching are different in that the signs and the goals are different. Where they aren't different though is that there are signs that you have to read, and rules you should know about. In the end you are still stuck either placing the cache or stealing the kiss because the time has come when you think you can.

When you talk about rights, things change. I have no god given or constituational right to steal a kiss or place a cache. I have the freedom to read the signs, learn the rules and know when it's ok. I have the responsiblity to live up to my actions.

Your front yard is safe from any of my caches and always has been. I'll leave it to you to figure out where in these threads I gave you the information that would let you figure that out.

That may be true for other chain stores, but from what I've heard, Wal-Mart has made a stand more than once against placing any type of cache on their property for "security reasons" and that they *will* prosecute anyone placing one or trying to retrieve one...at least according to one of the logs that was left by "wal-mart security" for a cache that has been archived.

Interesting, considering they'll let people park all sorts of trailers, motor homes, etc. overnight. Admittedly, I've neither done that myself, nor explicitcly ask if I would have permission to do so. :D

That may be true for other chain stores, but from what I've heard, Wal-Mart has made a stand more than once against placing any type of cache on their property for "security reasons" and that they *will* prosecute anyone placing one or trying to retrieve one...at least according to one of the logs that was left by "wal-mart security" for a cache that has been archived.

Interesting, considering they'll let people park all sorts of trailers, motor homes, etc. overnight. Admittedly, I've neither done that myself, nor explicitcly ask if I would have permission to do so. :D

As for the RV's and 5th wheels camping on Walmart lots it is not universal. Some stores do not allow overnight parking for various reasons, whether it be local regulation, smaller sized parking lots, or regional/local decisions to not allow overnight parking. The same applies for geocaching, store managers, district managers etc have the freedom to decide if this is an activity that best suits the interests of the individual stores. So manager Bob at store "A" may say yes to geocaching, Manager Sue at store "B" 4 miles away might say no.

Dan

Absolutely! The biggest argument against all the "micro spew" is that many are placed "just because you can". It does not make for a quality cache and has much potential for run-ins with the law. Anything done "just because you can" is "idiotic in the extreme". I would be willing to bet almost all the readers of these forums "can" commit murder. I doubt that justifies it (except when a forum poster DARES to disagree! :):):P:D:D:D (Is that enough smileys to indicate I am not serious about the murder thing?)

Here we go again with the Wal-Mart dead horse! It amazes me that this cache cannot be left to rest in peace. The whole issue was a farce in the first place. No one even knows for sure that the log was actually from a person of authority and I would LOVE to see Wal-mart make a case to prosecute a cacher either "leaving" or, especially, "trying to retrieve" a cache on property they have specifically provided for public access.

I guess they could prosecute a customer for leaving their purchased property in a cart in the cart-corrall? Makes about as much sense all-in-all.

Does that mean it is OK to put caches in wal-mart parking lots without permission? No. But give it a rest! there are many that exist with NO OBJECTION and no reason to believe that specific permission should be required.

Hey! neat idea for a Wally world cache: A micro attached to a cart. Puzzle cache: "coordinates are for the Wal-Mart parking lot. Now you just need to find the right cart". ;)

The same applies for geocaching, store managers, district managers etc have the freedom to decide if this is an activity that best suits the interests of the individual stores. So manager Bob at store "A" may say yes to geocaching, Manager Sue at store "B" 4 miles away might say no.

Dan

Yes, but of course almost none of them are ever asked. :laughing: All the while, the spewers are lying to the reviewers while they check those two little boxes before hitting "submit", and the reviewers are looking the other way with the assumption of adequate permission policy :unsure:

I'm no lawyer, and so can't state this as fact, but my understanding is that the public is invited to business properties for the purpose of doing business, period.

This does not mean that you have permission to play frisbee, race R/C cars, set up a campsite or geocache - it means that you can come there during business hours to do business with the property owners.

I believe that if the business is closed so also is the parking lot.

I hope someone with knowledge of the law will step up and clarify this issue, correct me if I am wrong, but I see an awful lot of folks state that WalMart parking lots are public places and I do not believe that they are... they are private property where the public is only invited to come do business and go away!

Yes, some WalMart's do allow overnight camping in RVs, but even then that camping is regulated and by invitation, not because they are public campsites. Campers who overnight at WalMarts have to seek permission of store management.

Ed

I'm no lawyer, and so can't state this as fact, but my understanding is that the public is invited to business properties for the purpose of doing business, period.

This does not mean that you have permission to play frisbee, race R/C cars, set up a campsite or geocache - it means that you can come there during business hours to do business with the property owners.

I hope someone with knowledge of the law will step up and clarify this issue, correct me if I am wrong, but I see an awful lot of folks state that WalMart parking lots are public places and I do not believe that they are... they are private property where the public is only invited to come do business and go away!

Yes, some WalMart's do allow overnight camping in RVs, but even then that camping is regulated and by invitation, not because they are public campsites. Campers who overnight at WalMarts have to seek permission of store management.

Ed

One of the best responses I have seen. I wish more people would understand what you are saying. I don't understand how people can believe they don't need permission to place a cache in a parking lot and that they think because it is a public place that it is not private property.

Dan

Ed

One of the best responses I have seen. I wish more people would understand what you are saying. I don't understand how people can believe they don't need permission to place a cache in a parking lot and that they think because it is a public place that it is not private property.

Dan

Yes, that was an outstanding post by Ed!!!

Of course me and Dan might be the only two people in America who agree with it :laughing:

But fear not. Just today The OP of this current thread has vowed to put a stop to all parking lot micros :unsure:

Dan

Of course me and Dan might be the only two people in America who agree with it <_<

But fear not. Just today The OP of this current thread has vowed to put a stop to all parking lot micros :)

Well, I posted this last statement as a joke yesterday, but it does look like the ranting disgruntled geocacher referenced in the closed thread above is in fact going to contact Wal-Mart corporate HQ regarding geocaching. Although I think his threats, rants and methods give those of us who have been intelligently pointing out for years that Wally World micros are on private property without permission a bad name ;)

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Dan

Of course me and Dan might be the only two people in America who agree with it <_<

But fear not. Just today The OP of this current thread has vowed to put a stop to all parking lot micros :)

Well, I posted this last statement as a joke yesterday, but it does look like the ranting disgruntled geocacher referenced in the closed thread above is in fact going to contact Wal-Mart corporate HQ regarding geocaching. Although I think his threats, rants and methods give those of us who have been intelligently pointing out for years that Wally World micros are on private property without permission a bad name ;)

Frankly I hope he's successful. As far as you folks that have been "intelligently pointing out for years that Wally World micros are on private property" you should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't you know actions speak louder than words? Besides flapping your gums, what actions did you take to help prevent the placement of caches in Wal-Mart parking lots? I'm glad to see a new cacher taking charge no matter what type of heat he takes. Cache on!!! Geo-Solo!!!!

Edited by eagletrek

Dan

But fear not. Just today The OP of this current thread has vowed to put a stop to all parking lot micros :D

Well, I posted this last statement as a joke yesterday, but it does look like the ranting disgruntled geocacher referenced in the closed thread above is in fact going to contact Wal-Mart corporate HQ regarding geocaching. Although I think his threats, rants and methods give those of us who have been intelligently pointing out for years that Wally World micros are on private property without permission a bad name :)

Frankly I hope he's successful. As far as you folks that have been "intelligently pointing out for years that Wally World micros are on private property" you should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't you know actions speak louder than words? Besides flapping your gums, what actions did you take to help prevent the placement of caches in Wal-Mart parking lots?

You're right, all three of us should hang our heads in shame ;) I just didn't want my feelings hurt by having people call me "the geo-police" :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Frankly I hope he's successful. As far as you folks that have been "intelligently pointing out for years that Wally World micros are on private property" you should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't you know actions speak louder than words? Besides flapping your gums, what actions did you take to help prevent the placement of caches in Wal-Mart parking lots? I'm glad to see a new cacher taking charge no matter what type of heat he takes. Cache on!!! Geo-Solo!!!!

whatever.