Bring yer writin' stick

Most of the caches that we have been to have been micros that don't even have room for a "writin' stick". We used our own ink pens, pencils, and rollerball pens. This weekend it rained here (which in Las Vegas is rare). Now I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't have used the rollerball pen because the ink would run in the caches that weren't "watertight".

Question:

What should one use to sign the logs?

Most of the caches that we have been to have been micros that don't even have room for a "writin' stick". We used our own ink pens, pencils, and rollerball pens. This weekend it rained here (which in Las Vegas is rare). Now I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't have used the rollerball pen because the ink would run in the caches that weren't "watertight".

Question:

What should one use to sign the logs?

#2 pencil.

Beyond the fact that El Diablo's right about caches being watertight... a recent Discovery Channel program highlighted the durability of the image left by a typical #2 pencil - more enduring than ink. Now, where's that sharpener???

I carry a 'Stabilo' brand pencil/crayon hybrid used in the graphics art industries - in red & in blue - writes on anything. And, for those who encounter the lovely 'rite in rain' paper logbooks - a pencil is best on that paper!

Ditto all of the above posts, but this does pose another question: If you place a micro, but don't care enough to put a writing implement in, should it be placed at all? With the exception of the magnetic pico-caches, pretty much anything can fit a cut-off pencil.

I've signed cache logs with mud and blood before, but prefer to use a pen that I generally remember to bring along...I stock my caches with tiny pencils that have 15 "points" built into them that can be pushed to the next sharp point when the one in use is dull...I like pencils because winters in my area can get down to 30 degrees below zero, and most pens don't work at that temp...

Jamie - NFA

Edit to add...I usually bring fresh log materials along with me, in case the current log is full or soaked...

Edited by NFA

These work and don't run.

Sharpies.

Space Pens

Unibal Power Tank's

Pencils.

Pencils don't write well on wet paper.

Sharpies are ok on damp paper, not so good writing on wet paper.

Space pens I've never messed with.

Power Tanks work ok on damp paper but not wet paper.

Once these have been used to sign the log though, the ink doesn't run.

... If you place a micro, but don't ...put a writing implement in, should it be placed at all? ...

I removed the "don't care enough". I'd rather have swag than a stub of a pencil that makes my already bad handwriting worse. Bring your writing stick is fair enough for a cacher to request. They run the risk of someone using a gel pen (writes great on soaking wet paper...it just runs...) and then the log being un-readable.

if the cache is too small for a pencil, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to leave one nearby.

never seen it, but I'd think it would be nice. I don't carry a bag with me, and when wearing tshirts, the only option for a pen is in jeans pockets, and that tends to cause them to break, which is bad. :)

typical option:

Pen

Pencil

Atypical:

Crayon (used yesterday - didn't have a pen or pencil)

Burned stick

Twig and dandelion leaf (had to do on a cache in K.C. - before I thought of a burnt stick)

blood - but then there is a whole 'nuther issue...

How about a stamp? Or a sticker with your handle on it?

I only use a fine point sharpie. Pencils and some pens just refuse to work for me on those wet & stinky logs.

The sharpie always writes and is permanent.

(I had a very bad habbit of forgetting to place the writin' stick back into the cache, only to realize I was still holding it while walking out of the woods. D'oh, back to the cache to put the pen back. Using my own pen, I never make this mistake anymore. :unsure:)

We use our new self-inking pen with our logo on it. If the log is big enough, we printed out a pageful (about 60-100 pp) of our own designed labels using a picture and our cache names. These are printed on a full size one piece label sheet. Then we cut them apart and put them in a film can in our fanny pack - works great! Peel 'em and stick 'em.

I've yet to find a cache log that my Fisher Space Pen wouldn't write on, include on that had been submerged in water for the last 2 days. I've got the Bullet pen with the PDA stylus tip, but this brand new one looks pretty sweet.

330kd7.jpg

I digress, but it must be said.

I saw a comedian talking about the "American Way" of thinking. He used the Fisher Space Pen as an example.

When the US needed something to write in space, they spent a million dollars and developed the Space Pen.

The Russians used a pencil.

When the US needed something to write in space, they spent a million dollars and developed the Space Pen.

The reason NASA didn't want pencils is graphite dust floating in the air fouling the equipment or getting in the eyes of the crew.

edit to add: The Space Pen wasn't developed by NASA, it was developed by private industry and private funding, and tested and approved by NASA for use in space.

Edited by hikergps

I've yet to find a cache log that my Fisher Space Pen wouldn't write on, include on that had been submerged in water for the last 2 days. I've got the Bullet pen with the PDA stylus tip, but this brand new one looks pretty sweet.

330kd7.jpg

I digress, but it must be said.

I saw a comedian talking about the "American Way" of thinking. He used the Fisher Space Pen as an example.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest getting your facts from comics or urban myths, though. NASA didn't develop the pens, or spend any money to do so. They never paid over $4.00 for one. This article makes interesting reading.

The Million Dollar Space Pen Myth is just that, a myth. The pens never cost a lot of money and were not developed by wasteful bureaucrats or overactive NASA engineers. The real story of the Space Pen is less interesting than the myth, but in many ways more inspiring. It is not a story of NASA bureaucrats versus simplistic Russians, but a story of a clever capitalist who built a superior product and conducted some innovative marketing. That story, however, is a little harder to sell to a public that believes what it wants to believe.