city navigator

I have just bought the 76CSX and was looking at additional software. Need something to show small rivers and waterways for local kayaking, any ideas? But was also thinking of the City Nav for road travel and have no idea if that would serve my purpose for kayaking. Anyways, after reading reviews on Amazon I am weary now of plunking down over a $100.00 dollars for this software. Seems 8 out of 10 users have major problems with their pc not loading the programs or problems unlocking the maps. Perhaps someone can help me with my choices here.

Seems almost ridiculous to have to pay for additional software to get use out of the GPS I paid over $400.00 for and even more unbelievable if the software won't load. B)

Thanks

I have just bought the 76CSX and was looking at additional software. Need something to show small rivers and waterways for local kayaking, any ideas? But was also thinking of the City Nav for road travel and have no idea if that would serve my purpose for kayaking. Anyways, after reading reviews on Amazon I am weary now of plunking down over a $100.00 dollars for this software. Seems 8 out of 10 users have major problems with their pc not loading the programs or problems unlocking the maps. Perhaps someone can help me with my choices here.

Seems almost ridiculous to have to pay for additional software to get use out of the GPS I paid over $400.00 for and even more unbelievable if the software won't load. B)

Thanks

I have been using Garmin software for years now, and have never once had a problem with it. Ever. Every single time I have "fixed" a customers software problem (and there has been a lot of them in 7 years), it has been a system problem or an operator problem...Not a software problem.

Now as to your "ridiculous" statement...

If you buy a new MP3 player, do you get the music with it? If you buy a DVD player, do you get movies with it? If you buy a new laptop, do you get software (don't worry, you even paid for Windows!) with it? What's so surprising about not getting maps with a GPS that works just fine as a GPS without any maps. Garmin makes no secret about the fact that if you want detailed mapping to go along with your GPS, it will be an additional cost.

Just as many people use this site as a reference for hardware/software other sites offer the same info including Amazon and I am going by their experiences. I am just saying it's not a good feeling knowing so many people are having problems with software that I know I must purchase to get the most out of my GPS. Perhaps it is ridiculous for me to think a unit should have sufficiant software out of the box, but it is not ridiculous for me to think that it should work flawlessly after what garmin charges.

Thanks

I have been using Garmin software for years now, and have never once had a problem with it. Ever. Every single time I have "fixed" a customers software problem (and there has been a lot of them in 7 years), it has been a system problem or an operator problem...Not a software problem.

If you buy a new MP3 player, do you get the music with it? If you buy a DVD player, do you get movies with it? If you buy a new laptop, do you get software (don't worry, you even paid for Windows!) with it? What's so surprising about not getting maps with a GPS that works just fine as a GPS without any maps. Garmin makes no secret about the fact that if you want detailed mapping to go along with your GPS, it will be an additional cost.

Just as many people use this site as a reference for hardware/software other sites offer the same info including Amazon and I am going by their experiences. I am just saying it's not a good feeling knowing so many people are having problems with software that I know I must purchase to get the most out of my GPS. Perhaps it is ridiculous for me to think a unit should have sufficiant software out of the box, but it is not ridiculous for me to think that it should work flawlessly after what garmin charges.

Thanks

and that's my point...It has always worked fine for me, and every time I have seen it not work, it was the customers system that was corrupt, or the user him/herself. Never once have I had to do a refund because there was anything wrong with the software. Every time I have ever faced a "software" problem, it has been solved without Garmin even getting involved.

It has always worked fine for me, and every time I have seen it not work, it was the customers system that was corrupt, or the user him/herself. Never once have I had to do a refund because there was anything wrong with the software. Every time I have ever faced a "software" problem, it has been solved without Garmin even getting involved.
I can confirm that. The map software is o.k.

Sometimes there are early firmware problems if one buys a brandnew unit, but because a GPSr is nothing less than a complicated navigation computer, this can be expected. Bugs are fixed over time and the unit will work well at the end (e.g. when I bought my 60csx in february, there were some major problems, and now they are fixed).

Your question: If you need maps for kayaking and hiking AND car navigation, you will possibly need topo maps AND city navigator. Maybe CN is enough for kayaking, because rivers and creeks should be there also, but there are no topografic details and no trails there, only streets.

You could also stay with CN, because it covers the whole US, and just add a topo of the area where you are interested in more topografic details.

Edited by NewZealand

[and that's my point...It has always worked fine for me, and every time I have seen it not work, it was the customers system that was corrupt, or the user him/herself. Never once have I had to do a refund because there was anything wrong with the software. Every time I have ever faced a "software" problem, it has been solved without Garmin even getting involved.

in fact, i did have a problem with my topo-software. the cd was kind of bad and would not load. but garmin switzerland was quite cool about it, they replaced the cd and now it works just fine. no additonal cost, except sending it in to them. to encounter something like that, probably the chances are one in a million. but nevertheless, it can happen.. but as stated, now everything is cool..

I have had no problems at all with garmins software, but I will say that city navigator may not be what your looking for. If you need something to show you small rivers and waterways for local kayaking garmin topo software maybe a better choice. city navigator is auto-routing software for street use.

also most users that have problems with loading maps probably failed to read that the software comes on DVD, so if you don't have a dvd drive in your pc your SOL. garmin topo software is still on cd though.

Edited by hogrod

For sure you dont want city navigator for waterways and streams. I was just on a canoe trip and the river no way matched the map. You know how rivers change course over decades...well, what city select used for rivers must be decades old. I dont know about their topo software ...anyone care to comment on river accuracy????

I have had no problems at all with garmins software, but I will say that city navigator may not be what your looking for. If you need something to show you small rivers and waterways for local kayaking garmin topo software maybe a better choice. city navigator is auto-routing software for street use.

also most users that have problems with loading maps probably failed to read that the software comes on DVD, so if you don't have a dvd drive in your pc your SOL. garmin topo software is still on cd though.

Never had a problem with garmin mapping products (CS, CN and Topo), nor have I heard of any of my friends having problems. Bad news travels fast, and a good place to look for bad news is on Amazon reviews B) You can take heart that garmin support is second to none, so if you did run into problems, it WILL be fixed.

The topo map data is old, but I'm sure the accuracy is going to be better than CN for natural features for kayaking. I've seen problems mainly with lakes, where the lake shores are not like reality B)

You could kill two birds with one stone and find a copy of MetroGuide 4. It will give you the ability to auto route with your GPSr as well as having significantly greater geographic detail and accuracy than City Navigator. I have Garmin Topo, MetroGuide 4, City Select 6 and 7 and City Navigator 8. Trust me on this one... you will be MUCH happier with MetroGuide 4 (other versions will not auto route on the GPSr) than CN8.

You could kill two birds with one stone and find a copy of MetroGuide 4. It will give you the ability to auto route with your GPSr as well as having significantly greater geographic detail and accuracy than City Navigator. I have Garmin Topo, MetroGuide 4, City Select 6 and 7 and City Navigator 8. Trust me on this one... you will be MUCH happier with MetroGuide 4 (other versions will not auto route on the GPSr) than CN8.

Oh I second that! If I am doing anything off the pavement at all, I will reach for MG4.01 every time! It may not list "Betty's Pottery Barn" down the street, like City Select, or City Navigator would, but the coverage it has for rural roads and features is awesome! Combined with its ability to autoroute, I would never go exploring with out it. I consider my MG4.01 to be as essential to exploring and rural traveling as Topo is. They are almost always loaded concurently with each othr.

Oh I second that! If I am doing anything off the pavement at all, I will reach for MG4.01 every time! It may not list "Betty's Pottery Barn" down the street, like City Select, or City Navigator would, but the coverage it has for rural roads and features is awesome! Combined with its ability to autoroute, I would never go exploring with out it. I consider my MG4.01 to be as essential to exploring and rural traveling as Topo is. They are almost always loaded concurently with each othr.

Hmmm. Will MetroGuide 4.x work on new etrex Venture/Legend/Vista cx and support autorouting on those etrex units? (Only MetroGuide Canada is listed as compatible on the Garmin site.)

Does the reference to "Betty's Pottery Barn" mean that MetroGuide doesn't include any POIs, or just fewer of them?

How old is ver. 4? Current version seems to be 8.

TIA,

-ArtMan-

Hmmm. Will MetroGuide 4.x work on new etrex Venture/Legend/Vista cx and support autorouting on those etrex units? (Only MetroGuide Canada is listed as compatible on the Garmin site.)

Does the reference to "Betty's Pottery Barn" mean that MetroGuide doesn't include any POIs, or just fewer of them?

How old is ver. 4? Current version seems to be 8.

TIA,

-ArtMan-

MetroGuide 4.01 will work on those units and will autoroute. AFAIK It was the only Metroguide USA product with the ability to route on the PC and the GPS. It does have POIs in it, but as the software is older they are not very up to date.

I would guess that it would work on any (Garmin) unit that has AutoRouting capabilities. It has the POI's that were current at the time, it just might not list the most recent Starbucks or latest subdivision, but 99% of the time (IMO) I find that it is great. Add that with the significantly better geographic detail and you have a winning combination... not to mention no unlock codes to deal with. So as you change and upgrade your GPSr you will not be buying new unlock codes.

Here is a screen shot of Theodore Roosevelt Island near you ArtMan. Check out the detail for the trails on the Island on MG4 and then on CN8.

Sorry if the images are large... trying to show some detail. ArlingtonVACN8800.jpg

ArlingtonVAMG4800.jpg

Edited by PhntmArcher

Nice comparison. How about the same shot with Topo (I'm at work without my copy loaded)?

I read elsewhere that you can make Metroguide versions later than 4 autoroute on GPSr with some jiggerypokery. How does the detail on the later versions compare to v4?

Edited by Maingray

Thanks for all the help here on the different maps, still not certain at what I need. Let me ask, will the maps overlap eachother on the GPS or do you see just one at a time? Also, is their a difference in the format the map comes in as far as less problems when loading, etc. Dvd or flash card?

I would guess that it would work on any (Garmin) unit that has AutoRouting capabilities. It has the POI's that were current at the time, it just might not list the most recent Starbucks or latest subdivision, but 99% of the time (IMO) I find that it is great. Add that with the significantly better geographic detail and you have a winning combination... not to mention no unlock codes to deal with. So as you change and upgrade your GPSr you will not be buying new unlock codes.

Here is a screen shot of Theodore Roosevelt Island near you ArtMan. Check out the detail for the trails on the Island on MG4 and then on CN8.

Sorry if the images are large... trying to show some detail. ArlingtonVACN8800.jpg

ArlingtonVAMG4800.jpg

BTW, nice comparison, if we could find shots of all maps to compare I think it would be easier to decide. Looks to me here that CN8 has more detail unless I am wrong and the metro map is the bottom?

Thanks for all the help here on the different maps, still not certain at what I need. Let me ask, will the maps overlap eachother on the GPS or do you see just one at a time? Also, is their a difference in the format the map comes in as far as less problems when loading, etc. Dvd or flash card?

ArlingtonVAMG4800.jpg

You can only show one at a time.

The newer maps (CN) come on either DVD or flash card

I would imagine that the older versions of Metroguide would be on CD. The newest is on DVD.

Topo comes on CDs.

BTW, nice comparison, if we could find shots of all maps to compare I think it would be easier to decide. Looks to me here that CN8 has more detail unless I am wrong and the metro map is the bottom?

Yes, you are incorrect.. Metroguide is at the bottom. You can see it in the Mapsource dropdown menu, top left.

OK, I see Metro USA V8 is on Garmin web site. Would I be correct in saying this would be/should be better then V4? Ready order as soon as I hear from someone with experience..........

Yes, you are incorrect.. Metroguide is at the bottom. You can see it in the Mapsource dropdown menu, top left.

OK, I see Metro USA V8 is on Garmin web site. Would I be correct in saying this would be/should be better then V4? Ready order as soon as I hear from someone with experience..........

Remember, it will not autoroute on the GPS out of the box. V4 does.

metorguide v4 does have better offroad detail than cityNavigator V8 or metroguide V8, but the offroad detail doesn't compare with topo at all. so for offroad software for rivers and such topo is what you want. also remember city navigator V8 can autoroute, where metroguide V8 can't(V4 metroguide could).

Now to address everyone recommending metroguide V4, yes it does autoroute, yes it does have some side roads that even the newer CNv8 doesn't have. I would NEVER recommend this older version of metroguide to anyone. it's autoroute calculation data seems very poor in comparison to the newer software, also it has TONS of roads that have never exsisted and more roads named wrong.

In short if you want autorouting buy city navigator V8, if you want offroad details buy topo software.

The versions of MetroGuide after v4 have reduced land features, metroguide v8 will have the same detail as city navigator v8.

Since you could pick up metroguide v4 pretty cheap, it might be an acceptable alternative. Otherwise if you want detail streams/lakes you would need to buy US Topo, and if you wanted road navigation you would also need to get City Navigator v8.

But was also thinking of the City Nav for road travel and have no idea if that would serve my purpose for kayaking.

City Navigator is great for road travel, but you will find it sorely lacking for kayaking. For kayaking look into Inland Lakes or Recreational Lakes and Fishing Hotspots. Even Topo would be better than CN.

Check out the Mapsource viewer on Garmin's website. It will give you an idea as to what each software package shows, so you can figure out which is best for you.

City Navigator is a must. I run it along with Topo on my unit, but if I were a kayaker I'd probably also get Recreational Lakes or Inland Lakes.

As far as issues installing Mapsource programs on my PC, I've yet to encounter one. Works great for me and I've installed it on several PCs.

Just for another comparison, here is the same shot from Google Earth. It looks to me like the image in MetroGuide is more accurate than CS8 or even Topo. Notice the channel going up the island and the shape of Little Island. Albeit, MG4 doesn’t provide elevations like Topo, but how critical is that info most of the time?

ArlingtonVAGoogleEarth800.jpg

MG4 doesn’t provide elevations like Topo, but how critical is that info most of the time?

Here in Norway where it mountain everywhere, its wery good to have a detailed topo map.

And the new Topo PRO that just came out is outstanding. Like goinf from Black and White to Color.

Hogrod, Where are you getting your information about the Autoroute Calculation being “very poor in comparison to the newer software”? And could you give me some of the “TONS” of roads that never existed in MetroGuide?

I created a couple of routes from my home town (Wheaton, IL) to your home town (New Glarus, WI). I have created routes using City Navigator 8 and MetroGuide 4 and included both the Fastest and the Shortest routes. MetroGuide 4 produced both Faster and Shorter routes than CN8.

NewGlarusWheatonRoutes2.jpg

I agree partly with alphawolf on paying for the maps. Taking his example a little further while I indeed expect to pay for MP3 files I expect them to work on ALL MP3 players, as I expect Windows compatible software to run on any machine running Windows. I consider the proprietary non-standard mapping approach a rip off. We the consumers would be better off if there was an agreed on mapping standard used by all GPS makers and then we could buy our maps from any source, putting some competition into the system, and thus insuring better maps at better prices.

After playing with the 76csx for just a bit for the first time I must go back to my original post and respond to Alphawolf's response. The mapping that comes with this is a joke, it shows only a few major highways and thats it. Places me in an open field...Everyone has different needs which I understand. but you can't tell me Garmin couldn't allow the user to download a region of their choice with the purchace. It might even incline the user to buy the full version.

As far as the different software we been disscussing here, I have viewed maps on Garmin and as far as waterways, including the lakes mapping, I see little if no difference.

I agree partly with alphawolf on paying for the maps. Taking his example a little further while I indeed expect to pay for MP3 files I expect them to work on ALL MP3 players, as I expect Windows compatible software to run on any machine running Windows. I consider the proprietary non-standard mapping approach a rip off. We the consumers would be better off if there was an agreed on mapping standard used by all GPS makers and then we could buy our maps from any source, putting some competition into the system, and thus insuring better maps at better prices.

After playing with the 76csx for just a bit for the first time I must go back to my original post and respond to Alphawolf's response. The mapping that comes with this is a joke, it shows only a few major highways and thats it. Places me in an open field...Everyone has different needs which I understand. but you can't tell me Garmin couldn't allow the user to download a region of their choice with the purchace. It might even incline the user to buy the full version.

As far as the different software we been disscussing here, I have viewed maps on Garmin and as far as waterways, including the lakes mapping, I see little if no difference.

I 'yak.

To me, the question is what do you need a map to do for your kayak trip planning? The only place I know to go to look for detailed river running info is clubs, books and other specialty sources that specialize in river running. I don't think you are likely to find this kind of info in the available software. BrianSnat's suggest of the fishing maps is a good one that I haven't personally investigated.

When planning a trip, what I want to know is where are there public accessible launch areas, and how far to other launch areas so I can plan a good trip, and know where to leave the vehicles. I also want to know if there are any major obstacles along the way or alternatively, where the interesting parts are going to be like rapids, inlets and so on.

I use TopoFusion for trip planning. I will use the draw track tool (the pencil) to plot a track along the center of the river. TF uses the TerraServer topo maps all the way down to 2M and you can also toggle to the NASA arial photos at 1M resolution. Using the 1M arial photos, I can mark riffles and rapids and other items. I can also move the track to direct it on one side of the river or another. The resulting tracks and waypoints can be downloaded to your GPS. You need a pretty big river to make out these kinds of details, on smaller rivers you really have to rely on other's input. There is definitely not enough detail to tell if you should take the right or left shore or where the big snaggers are. For that you have to rely on your own judgement of when to get out and scope from shore.

I 'yak with my old GPS V that I can slip under the deck rigging and the screen still faces to me (I also use a 'biner clipped to the rigging in case I go over, which I do from time to time. Any hairy stuff and the GPS gets zipped in the spray skirt pocket). It is nice having waypoints marked of rapids and the take-out, and the track gives me a look ahead of which direction the river is headed. I never thought about it before, but this kind of info would be good to add to TrailRegistry for other 'yakers to use.

TF costs $40. The maps can not be downloaded to your GPS, but the tracks and waypoints can be.

That is how I do it. Nothing beats the knowledge of a club, good guide books and other research.

Happy 'yakin. I'm going out Sunday. It's gonna be cold up here in Jersey, but the leaves will be in full color. Time to pull out the neoprene booties and the splash jak!

I agree, companies have no right to make a profit for their hard work and huge investments.

Ah, I don't think they are starving.

I agree, companies have no right to make a profit for their hard work and huge investments.

The best solution is to buy 2 pieces of software. I use Topo and City Select. The topo software shows the waterways including smaller creeks. It also shows things like campgrounds, springs and other POI's that you might want to know about while hiking or kayaking. It also seems to be very accurate, though testing it today I found that the roads were really out of date. Roads that are at least 15 years old do not show on the map, but all the rivers swamps etc were right where they said they were on the maps.

For good roads and auto routing you want city select or if you have one of the new x models with the expandable memory City Navigator. This will give you pretty current street maps and the ability to auto route. I am using version 6 whic is out of date and except for areas where there have been recent changes it works very well. I have used it all over the western United States to find my way around and have always gotten whereI needed to go.

I have never had a problem with installation. Maybe this is because I read the directions, and followed them when installng the software. Everyone that I have read having a problem were taken care of by Garmin's customer support. it believe that good customer support is as important as the software itself.

I like your thinking on the MP3's. I am not looking foward to the DRM & HDTV era. My old fashioned cable TV just works. HDTV thanks to DRM will require 5 times the money for half the result. I'll probably go back to the airwaves.

Back on topic. If the GPS makers created an association for the purpose of common mapping products they could focus on GPS features and the maps would be cheaper, as good as if not better than what we have, and they would be able to make more money from them. The only downside is that we would not be locked into a single GPS line if we were using a lot of mapping software. Of course the price of map upgrades just about negates that anyway.

Even more on topic:

The GPS V came with maps. They quit doing bundles for some reason.

More on topic Still.

What Night Stalker said.

Edited by Renegade Knight

There is a major difference between CN and the other mapping products when it comes to showing waterways. CN is missing all but major rivers lakes.

I agree that the base maps are a joke, but it's that way with all GPS mfrs. You get the same thing with Magellan and Lowrance.

Even more on topic:

The GPS V came with maps. They quit doing bundles for some reason.

Actually the Quest units are bundled with City Navigator. In fact the Quest II comes with all of CN V8 in memory.

Edited by briansnat

Ah, I don't think they are starving.

And it's your right to decide.

Down with free enterprise! Evil capitalism! Evil freedom!

Hogrod, Where are you getting your information about the Autoroute Calculation being “very poor in comparison to the newer software”? And could you give me some of the “TONS” of roads that never existed in MetroGuide?

I created a couple of routes from my home town (Wheaton, IL) to your home town (New Glarus, WI). I have created routes using City Navigator 8 and MetroGuide 4 and included both the Fastest and the Shortest routes. MetroGuide 4 produced both Faster and Shorter routes than CN8.

I own metroguide 4 along with metroguide 6, topo us and city select 7. every small town in my state the roads are as bad as the topo US maps(missing lots of roads). a few weeks back I was going to a town due north from where I live, with shortest route set on the 60cx metroguide 4 wanted me to drive 20miles out of my way around a lake when I could have just stayed on the road I was on and got to my destination quicker. (at the same location city select 7 worked great).

I sold my metroguide 4, so I can't show you some of the errors. I will speculate the reason metroguide 4 routes to New Glarus are faster and shorter they are using the non-exsistant roads I was talking about. mostly these roads are little connection roads shown between hwys, auto routing software is useless if it trys to get you to turn on roads that aren't there.

Anyone who wants the most accurate roads NEEDS to buy the newest software. Metroguide 4 road data is from 2002 so you can imagine how bad it is compared to the new road data(the new data does have errors too). Wisconsin is always improving road routing and making more lanes, it may look like your routing to the same destination when actually the road has changed allot since 2002(including ramps round-abouts ,ect.).

Thanks for the info Hogrod. Could you tell me the coordinates of your destination? I would like to try to route it and see what happens. I have had similar problems, but with CN8. I have a waypoint to a customer that I have been going to and both MG4 and CS7 got me there with no problems. When I upgraded to CN8 and navigated to that same waypoint, it had me drive right past my customer, get on the hiway, get off at the next exit, get right back on the higway (going back the way I just came from) and then to my customer. All of a sudden CN8 doesn't recognize that there is an intersection where MG4 CS6&7 did. I did report this to Garmin. I do recognize that CN8 does show some of the newer roads and subdivisions. I have been running several comparisons with the different maps.