2.0 Bugs Thread

I tried to download the loc files for a weekend trip I am doing. I selected a waymark in the area I am going to visit (one of mine) and checked all the waymarks on the first page of returned results. I had excluded the ones I had visited already by selecting that checkbox. When I clicked the download button it took me to the homepage and I don't know where the results went. I tried several times using different selections each time ie. include all waymarks etc and each time it directed me to the home page with no download apparent. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug that needs to be addressed.

Hmm... no one else seems to be having this problem. Have you indicated your agreement to the download policy on geocaching.com by any chance?

Check here.

Yes I agreed to it long ago. I tried again and could download the loc files from a general page that I picked at random but I can recreate the error each time I try using this method.

1. I select a waymark that I own in the area I am going to visit. In this case I started here I got here to this page using a page that Says Filtered By: Seal on Nye Beach, Newport Oregon at the top (don't know if the link works in this manner but I tried).

2. Next I click nearest waymarks

3. I select the exclude found waymarks checkbox to get rid of the ones I own.

4. I download. At this point it takes me back to the home page. :)

Edit to add that if I do the same process using someone elses waymark I get the same error. I am wondering if it is associated with my method of selecting the nearest waymarks using the link on the page?

And again to add that those files that I downloaded using the origin search worked sometimes. I was able to get a download three times then using the same method it all of a sudden it didn't work. Then when I tried to open it in 2 seperate loc file management programs it produced an error. In Easy GPS it is this;

Error 0xC00Ce513 on line 11, position 32

Reason: Whitespace is not allowed at this location.

The Magellian geocache manager simply says unexpected format.

both of these programs worked on the one

download that I did from a randaomly picked waymark search. Very odd.

Thanks again.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

I tried to download the loc files for a weekend trip I am doing. I selected a waymark in the area I am going to visit (one of mine) and checked all the waymarks on the first page of returned results. I had excluded the ones I had visited already by selecting that checkbox. When I clicked the download button it took me to the homepage and I don't know where the results went. I tried several times using different selections each time ie. include all waymarks etc and each time it directed me to the home page with no download apparent. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug that needs to be addressed.

Hmm... no one else seems to be having this problem. Have you indicated your agreement to the download policy on geocaching.com by any chance?

Check here.

Yes I agreed to it long ago. I tried again and could download the loc files from a general page that I picked at random but I can recreate the error each time I try using this method.

1. I select a waymark that I own in the area I am going to visit. In this case I started here I got here to this page using a page that Says Filtered By: Seal on Nye Beach, Newport Oregon at the top (don't know if the link works in this manner but I tried).

2. Next I click nearest waymarks

3. I select the exclude found waymarks checkbox to get rid of the ones I own.

4. I download. At this point it takes me back to the home page. :)

Edit to add that if I do the same process using someone elses waymark I get the same error. I am wondering if it is associated with my method of selecting the nearest waymarks using the link on the page?

And again to add that those files that I downloaded using the origin search worked sometimes. I was able to get a download three times then using the same method it all of a sudden it didn't work. Then when I tried to open it in 2 seperate loc file management programs it produced an error. In Easy GPS it is this;

Error 0xC00Ce513 on line 11, position 32

Reason: Whitespace is not allowed at this location.

The Magellian geocache manager simply says unexpected format.

both of these programs worked on the one

download that I did from a randaomly picked waymark search. Very odd.

Thanks again.

Thanks for that detailed explanation - we figured it out. There was one waymark in your list (HMSC Webcam...) that somehow was not assigned an owner. It should work now. If anyone else sees this behavior please let us know!

Thanks for that detailed explanation - we figured it out. There was one waymark in your list (HMSC Webcam...) that somehow was not assigned an owner. It should work now. If anyone else sees this behavior please let us know!

Your welcome and thank you. Now I'll try try again.

Edit to say: It is working fine for me now. Tell Mikey if he is there that I like it. Thanks again.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Don't know if this is an error or operator error. I can't seem to look at all the waymarks in a category anymore. I can adjust this up to 200 miles but this does me no good,as waymarks in a specific category are usually several hundred miles apart.

Clear your location (link above the directory or above the map) and try again. You should see them all.

Don't know if this is an error or operator error. I can't seem to look at all the waymarks in a category anymore. I can adjust this up to 200 miles but this does me no good,as waymarks in a specific category are usually several hundred miles apart.

It looks like you can't see all the waymarks in a particular category when you have a location filter set (which actually makes sense to me). The location filter is limited to those waymarks which can be found within 200 miles.

To see all the waymarks in a category, clear the location filter (click the "clear location" link), then set the "since" pulldown to 3 years while doing a regular (not location filtered) category view.

Might be a repeat...

Clicking on "Nearest Waymarks on Waymarking.com" from any Geocache Listing gives a "404 Swinging Signal"

:) The Blue Quasar

Hmm, I thought this had been taken care of already. I'll have to discuss with Raine in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

This isn't necessarily a bug, but it nearly gave me a heart attack. I came over to one of my categories (Walt Disney World Benchmarks) to see two new waymarks that I was told had been created, and when I got to the page, those two were the only ones I saw. Yikes--where were our other 65 marks??! I noticed that the design of the page had changed, so I came over to the forums to see what had happened since my last visit to the site.

I found a discussion here about the Location filter, but I had no location filter set. However, I then noticed the "Since" field, with settings of One Week, One Month, 6 Months, and 3 Years. I reset that from the default One Week to 3 Years, and all the marks appeared. Whew!

A couple of questions about the "Since" field:

* "Since" what? Since the waymark was created? Since it was last logged? I tried changing the cutoff date to figure that out, but couldn't see a pattern to the results.

* "3 Years" is currently equivalent to "All," but what happens when Waymarking is more than three years old? Will there be any way then to see all the waymarks in a category? I guess that would put a strain on Groundspeak's search and display software in many categories, but in the Disney benchmarks categories, there are never going to be more than 100 or so total, so I'd like to retain the ability to view them all. But maybe that won't be a feasible possibility as other categories get huge.

* Is "One Week" the best choice for the default? I'm probably not the only person who didn't notice that tiny "Since" field right away. How many other people might think that a category has very few waymarks because they don't realize that the display is being restricted to a very short period of waymark creation or logging?

Aside from that scare....I like the new site very much! I especially appreciate the inclusion of "Logging requirements visible on waymark detail page," given that we've recently had a couple of people who didn't pay attention to the logging requirements. Now they have no excuse for not seeing them!

Thanks Groundspeak folks for the excellent site update.

Patty

Someone visited one of "my" waymarks:

http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/details.aspx?...;tp=2&gid=3

I got an automated "visit" mail with 2 links:

This is an automated message from Waymarking.com

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of the 20007 - Laren waymark.

FerryStreens&Fairyglitters visited 20007 - Laren on 10/13/2006 12:25:40 AM and posted the following comments:

"FTF, deze staat wel heel erg dicht bij #1. "

Visit this log entry at the following address:

http://www.Waymarking.com/logs/details.asp...mp;id=29001/001 - Laren&tp=2&gid=3&LogGUID=6fa8fc5d-6133-4dc0-aa0e-f2a50b5d8e5b

Visit the '20007 - Laren' waymark at the following address:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/details...amp;t=4&id=29001/001 - Laren&tp=2&gid=3

The owner of this log will have one hour from the time of the initial posting to edit this log. After this hour has expired, the posted log will no longer be editable.

Both links are faulty. First one gives an incomplete screen, second one brings me to the wrong waymark. Beside this, the spaces in the link(s) "break" the link, if you understand what I mean.

Please re-investigate what's went wrong.

Barjon

Unfortunately I dislike the visit log / visit page, because 1) the screen is rather empty and 2) you have to go on clicking to see the photo('s) in real size. On the tiny one is hardly anything to see and it has no 'one click zoom'.

My wish: at least 1 photo (first uploaded one?) should be presented in normal size at the first appearing visit screen. Space enough.

Please, go on debugging and implementing wishes. Thanks!

Barjon.

Edited by Barjon

It looks like you can't see all the waymarks in a particular category when you have a location filter set (which actually makes sense to me). The location filter is limited to those waymarks which can be found within 200 miles.

To see all the waymarks in a category, clear the location filter (click the "clear location" link), then set the "since" pulldown to 3 years while doing a regular (not location filtered) category view.

There must be a lot simpler way to get ALL the waymarks to see. 1 Click should be enough.

A "see all" button or something like that. I dis-like the fiddling with miles/kilometers.

Barjon.

Edited by Barjon

This isn't necessarily a bug, but it nearly gave me a heart attack. I came over to one of my categories (Walt Disney World Benchmarks) to see two new waymarks that I was told had been created, and when I got to the page, those two were the only ones I saw. Yikes--where were our other 65 marks??! I noticed that the design of the page had changed, so I came over to the forums to see what had happened since my last visit to the site.

I found a discussion here about the Location filter, but I had no location filter set. However, I then noticed the "Since" field, with settings of One Week, One Month, 6 Months, and 3 Years. I reset that from the default One Week to 3 Years, and all the marks appeared. Whew!

* "Since" what? Since the waymark was created? Since it was last logged? I tried changing the cutoff date to figure that out, but couldn't see a pattern to the results.

* "3 Years" is currently equivalent to "All," but what happens when Waymarking is more than three years old? Will there be any way then to see all the waymarks in a category? I guess that would put a strain on Groundspeak's search and display software in many categories, but in the Disney benchmarks categories, there are never going to be more than 100 or so total, so I'd like to retain the ability to view them all. But maybe that won't be a feasible possibility as other categories get huge.

* Is "One Week" the best choice for the default? I'm probably not the only person who didn't notice that tiny "Since" field right away. How many other people might think that a category has very few waymarks because they don't realize that the display is being restricted to a very short period of waymark creation or logging?

Aside from that scare....I like the new site very much! I especially appreciate the inclusion of "Logging requirements visible on waymark detail page," given that we've recently had a couple of people who didn't pay attention to the logging requirements. Now they have no excuse for not seeing them!

Patty

I had that scare too but figured out how to get all of the waymarks to show. Could "3 years" be changed to "All"? I think "All" makes more sense. And would it be possible not to have to click the "update" button? I wasn't sure why, when I clicked on "3 years", nothing was happening. I saw the "update" button but wasn't sure if it was a "Go" button. Turns out it is, but it's confusing.

I'm impressed with all the work that has gone into the upgrade. Well done, and with all this additional feedback it's going to get even better. <_<

J.A.R.S.

Sorry, there's a temporary bug that I've accidentally introduced to the mix. On the category pages it's displaying all the wayamrks for that category. It'll be fixed in acouple of minutes.

OK. fixed now. I've made some stored procedure optimizations today that appear to have increased the speed of the entire site enormously. As a result, I've decided to increase the number of waymarks and categories displayed per page from 10 to 25. If you have an argument against this, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Have a good weekend!

Sean

I went to my categories. One of them indicated someone needed to review a waymark. I click on triangular icon and it sends me to the home page. I click on the name of the category. It sends me to the home page. All other categories send me to the appropriate links except the one that has a waymark pending approval.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I am beginning to sound like a broken record but I am still trying to thank the waymarker who found my waymark a few days ago. I am rerouted to "My Page." I want to reach the waymarkers page not "My Page."

I'll check this out on monday. You haven't been forgotten. Sorry for the delay.

Please fix this or tell me how to do it.

The My Categories link is still available on many of the Waymarking pages (under the Lists tab). Just click the link, and you can manage your categories from there. Categories with waymarks waiting for approval are identified with the exclamation point icon (alert.gif).

Works pretty much like it always did. The only major difference I can see is that my list of categories all used to appear on a single page, but now they are spread out onto several pages.

it would be nice if there was an option to 'show all' on category listings. it is so much easier to scroll to find something that to have to figure out what page it is on. yes, long pages take longer to load, but they need not go 'forever'--how long would it take a page of ALL 1000+ marks i own? and longer pages cause problems when printing the pages (aren't we trying to be paperless? but i do print things for 'posterity' and refrence). along these lines, in the update the 'search result pages' (nearest, category, etc) rows have been altered. it appears that the frames have large margins compacting the contents. this then causes fewer results on each page and/or printing issues.

Check here.

i went to 'my logs' to see if the log i posted could be found (see 'log before waymark creation' below). i clicked on >> (last page) since it was in 2004. This took me to my profile.

i also use the magellean software. i have found that you have to download each cache by itself to download ALL the information possible. i have not been able to use '.loc' in that program either. i have to compile them in a formatted excell file and import into my POI. i have not expreimented with downloads here yet (none other than mine, and other things to 'deal with').

Uh-oh, I see something I don't like at all. It appears that every Waymark has a visit now with the approver showing up in a visit log. I like to go through the new Waymarks and read the visit logs. Guess it don't really matter, I'm just nosey that way I guess. But that's out if I have to click every Waymark to see if there's a real visited log.

I would like to see someday an option to see more than 10 Waymarks on a page.

That's all, nothing serious and I could be missing something.

Thanks, Mike

i too saw this. if a mark get approved/denied several times would each show as a log? with the last showing in the waymark details? the denials should show for only group members and waymark owner. the text of these logs could be the comments associated with the action--'thanks' or 'please fix'.....this way you might not be told to do the same thing multiple times, but all the thanks are welcome. these approved logs should not show up in any stats, other than 'marks 'i' approved' (a tap on my profile?). it should not influcance the number of visits/notes (unlike geocaching pages), nor 'marks visited'. the more results on the page the better.

Patty

in trying to find the mark (also in the 'log before mark creation date' below) mentioned above i went to the category (using several different avenues) and used the display by creation date option. once i had changed the selection and updated, the results were the same.

and the selection options are a bit lacking. it would be nice to see something like: today, last week, month, 3 mos, 6 mos, year, ever

iryshe is .... well, maybe I shouldn't say.

Perhaps if you check his profile, things will come more clear.

;) The Blue Quasar

But why did his name replace the original decliners is my question. Nothing clear to me.

the last person to take action is displayed in the waymark details. see if there are multiple logs as discussed above.

--------------------------------------

'logging before a waymark was created'--mark created in 8/2006, visit was in 2/2004.

--this is NOT a discussion of the 'ethics' of such a log, but i DO have sufficient proof.

i got an approval today for a world national park that i had visited in 2004. i constructed a wonderful log and found all my pics from the visit to post 'the best ones' (out of over 100 pics; much in the manner of my Mammoth Cave waymarks owned).

i constructed the log and clicked 'submit'. this took me to a page that looked like it was the proper format, but the area where it would say the standard submition page, with a link to view the action taken (waymark/log).

i then tried to navigate to the mark to see if the log was accepted. this led me to the sort by submition issue discussed above. my log was not to be found.

--is this a logging issue? is it because my log was dated 2004; logging a previous date was possible before the update AND they are available as options when creating a log. is it because the mark was created in august, but not approved until october?

ETA - now I'm really confused. Apparently, when posting a visit log, you can specify that your visit photo is the default photo for the waymark. Thus, any visitor to one of my waymarks can upload a visit and say that their photo is the default photo for the waymark. Or something. Good night.

If you post a log to your own waymark, you are given the option to make it the default photo for the waymark. If you don't own the waymark, you aren't given this option (or at least you shouldn't be given this option). If you notice otherwise, please get back to me.

ok. that makes sense. i wish there were some option (someday) to reverse that selection. I've made it on many of my visits. I suppose i could delete and re-upload the pix?

It's been happening to some of my waymarks, too - other people (not the owner) are uploading pix and making them the default image for my waymark.

I'm trying to create a new category. I have my 3 officers, and I clicked on "Create new Category". I filled in all the blanks, and I can't see anything I'm doing wrong.

The Category is "World War Two Memorials".

Every time I hit the "Add new Category" button at the bottom, however, it takes me back to the Waymarking home page and nothing I do will get it to actually create the category. I've tried changing the name, changing my "tags", removing all the HTML, and several other things, but every time it takes me back to the Home page.

I checked the group to see if the category created anyway, and no, it did not.

Please help!!!!

It's not doing it every time, but the waymark image and text are merging with Opera 9.02.

Here is one example from the home page:

untitledtruecolor02lg6.jpg

It doesn't do it in Firefox 1.5 that I can tell.

Now I'm not really complaining, if you were to tweak the text color and layout a little it could look pretty darn cool to have the waymark image as a sort of background.

It's not doing it every time, but the waymark image and text are merging with Opera 9.02.

Here is one example from the home page:

untitledtruecolor02lg6.jpg

It doesn't do it in Firefox 1.5 that I can tell.

Now I'm not really complaining, if you were to tweak the text color and layout a little it could look pretty darn cool to have the waymark image as a sort of background.

i just had this overwriting happen....

i was browsing my categories looking for marks to review and i saw that the sphinx category had the 1st 2 lines of the short description displayed on top of the category name...[the first letter was NEXT to the star stating rankings are enabled, and the second line was just below it]......

would ths be because i used html when making it?

I am still bothered by the fact that non-waymark owners can make their image the default image for the waymark and sometimes it happens without their intervention. It wasn't so bad when it was my kids' picture on Walruz's waymark, but when he pointed out that his visit pictures were showing up as the default waymark picture on some of my waymarks, I figured it was time to post again. This waymark... here is an example of his visit photo being set as the default image for the waymark. I'm hoping I won't have to go check every Waymark I have listed. sigh.

I am getting very frustrated with some of the new features. Specifically the radius and location filters. What ever was last selected in any category is automatically selected on any other category that you go to.

For example, I was browing the Airports category. Only 2 waymarks showed up. I selected the biggest radius possible (200 miles). Ok, 4 waymarks showed up. Ok, how do I get to see them all. Where do I click to get rid of the location filter. It is nowhere to be seen. Finally, I uncheck the "display waymarks only" on the right hand side. Then and only then do I get the option to clear my location filter near the top of the page.

I propose that ANY time you go to a catgeory by title, that it shows ALL of the waymarks as a default. No location filter. Sorting should DEFAULT to newest as well.

It is VERY counter intuitive to have to unclick "display waymarks only" in order to clear the location filter. I cannot stress enough that this should be changed.

I am getting very frustrated with some of the new features. Specifically the radius and location filters. What ever was last selected in any category is automatically selected on any other category that you go to.

For example, I was browing the Airports category. Only 2 waymarks showed up. I selected the biggest radius possible (200 miles). Ok, 4 waymarks showed up. Ok, how do I get to see them all. Where do I click to get rid of the location filter. It is nowhere to be seen. Finally, I uncheck the "display waymarks only" on the right hand side. Then and only then do I get the option to clear my location filter near the top of the page.

To clear the location filter look above the map on the right side of the screen. There is a link there to clear location. If there is not a link then a location has not been set.

The problem may not have been the location filter but rather the filter for the "age" of the waymarks. Right above the listing check and see if was set to "1 Week" or "1 Month". If you want to see all the waymarks listed change to 3 years and click "Update" button to the right.

I have tried three times to approve a waymark in "Where's In A Name?" category, including a note with the approval. It was not sent all three times. So I tried contacting the other members in my group. I was not able to contact them either. If my group members read this, please contact me at my e-mail address.

Edited by Rose Red

I am still bothered by the fact that non-waymark owners can make their image the default image for the waymark and sometimes it happens without their intervention. It wasn't so bad when it was my kids' picture on Walruz's waymark, but when he pointed out that his visit pictures were showing up as the default waymark picture on some of my waymarks, I figured it was time to post again. This waymark... here is an example of his visit photo being set as the default image for the waymark. I'm hoping I won't have to go check every Waymark I have listed. sigh.

Someone evidently confused Vancouver, BC with Vancouver, WA and logged a visit for my Octagonal Building with several photos of another building. The photos did not entirely disappear when I deleted the log. Imagine my surprise when the photo became the default image! I have not found any way to get rid of the errant photo as it shows up as the default photo or in the row of photos but not the gallery photos. I ended up checking some of my waymarks but I am not convinced that a default photo will stay a default photo.

Edited by Rose Red

Tomorrow I'll make sure this doesn't continue.

I have tried and tried this evening to approve (with notes) a waymark for "Where's In A Name?" The waymark was not approved and instead I get the home page.

I wonder if that's related at all to my "create a category" issue - I had the same problem trying to create a new category. Not created, and I got the home page.

I can approve waymarks today, though.

I have tried and tried this evening to approve (with notes) a waymark for "Where's In A Name?" The waymark was not approved and instead I get the home page.

I wonder if that's related at all to my "create a category" issue - I had the same problem trying to create a new category. Not created, and I got the home page.

I tried again. I still get the home page after I push the approve button. I am not trying to go through AOL which does not work with the new 2.0. I have a Sony Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pac 2 laptop computer. The Browser is Foxfire 1.5. Wherein lies the problem?

Edited by Rose Red

I tried again. I still get the home page after I push the approve button. I am not trying to go through AOL which does not work with the new 2.0. I have a Sony Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pac 2 laptop computer. The Browser is Foxfire 1.5. Wherein lies the problem?

Give me some time, I'm working on your issues as we speak.

I have been trying to thank the waymarker who found my waymark a couple days ago. Every time I am rerouted to "My Page." I want to reach the waymarkers page not my page.

Can you tell me which user you are trying to thank? I can't reproduce this error with the users I've searched for. They've all worked so far.

*UPDATE*

I have been able to re-create a similar error with a logged out account. If you aren't logged into the website when you try to contact these people an error occurs. Is this what you were seeing? A similar error was happening on the approve pages. I believe these are both fixed now.

*UPDATE 2*

Ok, we have found the problem now. It was the link in the visit. Should be fixed now.

Edited by bootron

I propose that ANY time you go to a catgeory by title, that it shows ALL of the waymarks as a default. No location filter. Sorting should DEFAULT to newest as well.

It is VERY counter intuitive to have to unclick "display waymarks only" in order to clear the location filter. I cannot stress enough that this should be changed.

The key is to use the "clear location" link right above the map control. Or, you can use the clear location button right above the filtered directory. Unfortunately we haven't included one for people who are only showing their waymarks and not the directory. We are going to make this more prominent in the future. The main thing to remember is that we aren't expecting you to persist the same location for a lifetime any longer like we had you do with the "you are here" of the old site. You still can persist your location as long as you'd like, but if you want to see everything in a time context (instead of a location context), you should clear your location using one of the options I mentioned above.

This issue should be fixed now. Those who post images for their visits (logs) are no longer able to set their photo as the default for the waymark.

Thanks!

This issue should be fixed now. Those who post images for their visits (logs) are no longer able to set their photo as the default for the waymark.

Thanks!

You rock! Thanks....much better!

Ok, next issue. :-)

I go to the McD category, I view the category gallery. I locate a familiar face which is most likely a visit to one of my waymarks. I double click on the image to open it up. When I open it up, the make default, archive, etc text is up over the picture. If I refresh or update, it seems to be fine from then on. Once I do update it however, I have an extra unlabeled checkbox above the default and archive boxes. See examples....

271805673_da99c188b0.jpg

271805672_d59ac827c1.jpg