2.0 Bugs Thread

RE my earlier post: "In the Train Depot category there were two waymarks in the que for review that had not been approved. They have vanished".

Another member of our group approved one and rejected one. I was looking for the one that was rejected because I was going to bring it up with other officers to discuss. I didn't recognize the other that was approved when I checked the list so..... what I am saying is I'm a goob and there is no (real) issue here. Is there a waymark approve/deny history in the works that would help with issues like this?

Thanks Lackeys for a nice great improvement once we get by the initial bumps in the road.

RE my earlier post: "In the Train Depot category there were two waymarks in the que for review that had not been approved. They have vanished".

Another member of our group approved one and rejected one. I was looking for the one that was rejected because I was going to bring it up with other officers to discuss. I didn't recognize the other that was approved when I checked the list so..... what I am saying is I'm a goob and there is no (real) issue here. Is there a waymark approve/deny history in the works that would help with issues like this?

Yes, we are looking into putting a list of past group transactions on the group sections. Still ironing out the details, however.

Thanks Lackeys for a nice great improvement once we get by the initial bumps in the road.

Thanks!

On home page the list of newest categories lists the 2 newest and then lists 297th, 298th and 299th newest. Same error when the "view all newest categories" link is clicked. The order of the "view all newest categories" list not ordered on subsequent pages either.

If you have a location selected, the newest waymark list returns the newest waymarks within a specified radius of your selected location. If you want to see the newest waymarks for the entire site, you can clear your location.

The following is the list of newest categories I show

View Newest Categories:

* Underground Railroad sites (2)

* Starbucks Stores (6)

* Disguised Cell Towers (58)

* Water Mills (52)

* Airports (164)

I know that is not right... If it is location driven how do I get to screen to clear location (I saw the button last night while crusing through but can't find it now)

Sorry Bruce, I was mistaken. I thought you were looking at the newest waymarks link. It's actually the newest category list you are looking at. And yes, it's screwy. Give me some time to check it out, I'll see what's up.

Yes, we are looking into putting a list of past group transactions on the group sections. Still ironing out the details, however.

Thanks!

You just gotta "Love" those guys. :)742cd934-c1fc-425e-8f70-c3c083c1866f.jpg

Nasty, nasty, nasty bug!!!! :)

I spent 1/2 hour putting together a waymark and the hit save without submitting. For whatever reason, I was thrown out of the site and put back at the login page. The worst of it, all my work was lost.

Please fix this nasty behavrior. (It appears to be intermitant).

P.S. - this is the second time I got booted during this session.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

With respect to that layout bug on the home page I mentioned earlier, I checked on Safari 1.3.2 on OSX 10.3.9 and it was there. A solution that works for me on Safari is:

1. In #homepage_logowrap and #homepage_bc_wrap, change width to 100%
  2. Change #homepage_bc_wrap's padding to 0px
  3. Change #homepage_breadcrumb's padding to 0px 0px 0px 5px
  4. Change #homepage_login's padding to 0px 5px 0px 0px

I don't know how that will look on other, more important browsers, however. And of course you'll need to adapt that for #logowrap and #bc_wrap and the non-homepage elements as well.

I hate CSS. :)

Waymark data is not updated.

Exhibit 1

I have updated the waymark information (e.g. Quick Description and Long Description) but it does not appear updated on the waymark page. Please fix.

Oops, did something with this and it did finally update. Seems to be some flaky behavior.

O.K. Here's another case.

Exhibit 2

Edited by RakeInTheCache
Nasty, nasty, nasty bug!!!! :)

I spent 1/2 hour putting together a waymark and the hit save without submitting. For whatever reason, I was thrown out of the site and put back at the login page. The worst of it, all my work was lost.

Please fix this nasty behavrior. (It appears to be intermitant).

P.S. - this is the second time I got booted during this session.

Did you try the "Back" button on your browser? I've had it happen where I've done something goofy and wanted to recover, so hitting "Back" til I got to where I needed I could copy the appropriate data.

:)

first, thanks bootron, whatever was wrong is fixed now. im on.

no 'time' to actually read above posts, but i scanned for my immediate concern.....(which led me to others.)

i recieved an email about a fountain that was archived (the instigation for the non-fountain cat), but it appeared back in the que after the update.

i clicked the link 'to edit' [rearchive it], but i went to the home page (several times).

so i then went to my waymarks, and sorted CBA (then ABC), trying to navigate--using the page # direct links at the top of the screen--but each time the 'linked page' loaded it was back in 'newest' order. (a great sorting option when you just forgot something you can go back with fewer clicks, but not when i was trying to just go to a letter. so how about instead of having pages at the top, there are the letters of the alphabet; ie: i go to 'my marks', then can click an 'm' and see all my marks with the first character being an m.) [sorry im getting off topic]

what about having another 'waymark list link' for my unapproved marks (next to 'my unfinished marks')

Is it safe to submit Waymarks or to save them without submitting? I'm sorta leary of doing any and my notes are getting cold.

I'm working on the save without submitting functionality right now. I'll get back to you when I figure out what the issue is.

On home page the list of newest categories lists the 2 newest and then lists 297th, 298th and 299th newest. Same error when the "view all newest categories" link is clicked. The order of the "view all newest categories" list not ordered on subsequent pages either.

If you have a location selected, the newest waymark list returns the newest waymarks within a specified radius of your selected location. If you want to see the newest waymarks for the entire site, you can clear your location.

The following is the list of newest categories I show

View Newest Categories:

* Underground Railroad sites (2)

* Starbucks Stores (6)

* Disguised Cell Towers (58)

* Water Mills (52)

* Airports (164)

I know that is not right... If it is location driven how do I get to screen to clear location (I saw the button last night while crusing through but can't find it now)

Ok, this is fixed now. Sorry for the delay!

Is it safe to submit Waymarks or to save them without submitting? I'm sorta leary of doing any and my notes are getting cold.

Sean just made another update with some changes he *thinks* will fix some of these login issues. Go ahead and try submitting one. Perhaps you should just enter basic information first and then save without submitting. If you do have trouble let us know the exact steps you took so we can try to reproduce the error.

I also have an archived fountain that came back to life but I can't find it to rearchive (new word?) it.

This was a caching issue that Sean has fixed. The first time you archived the waymark it did take, which is why you couldn't find it again.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! We'll have things running smoothly in no time with your help.

WRT the "logging out" issues:

One thing to keep in mind is that Sean is constantly upgrading the site today (and in the next couple days). We think this may be the reason some of you are being intermittently logged out when paging around the site or entering new waymarks. Annoying, yes, but if you save your work in notepad before submitting you'll avoid losing it.

These updates would normally occur only once in a day at most, but given the magnitude of certain errors he's having to do them more frequently. Saving your work before submitting (or composing in notepad to begin with) is a good habit to get into, regardless.

When you have uploaded several photos to the waymark page several thumbnails show up just below the default photo(cool feature) under the gallery link. If you click on these thumbnails it swithces the default photo (I think temporarily). If you click on the fourth photo in the lineup it selects the fifth photo instead of the fourth. Follow?

This waymark hasn't been approved yet so not everyone can see it but here is the link to the waymark I found it on.

I received a notice that a waymarker found my waymark. I get a error page not found message when I visit the log entry and I get a large map of downtown Portland when I visit the waymark using the addresses on the notification. I locate the waymark. I wish to thank the waymarker however I am rerouted to my profile page instead of accessing the waymarker's profile page.

In every email I forgot to add a crucial part of the link...so overnight each of the waymark emails was messed up. I have now updated the site with the fix, so hopefully all these types of problems will be taken care of. If you find a broken link in any email dated after 9:20 AM on 10/11/2006, please report it to me at sean [at] Groundspeak.com. We can't afford to have these not working.

Thanks,

Sean

that explains it, but then which 9:20 am, yours (west coast) or mine (east coast)?

Request:

I like the new option to filter out Waymarks that I've already visited. Can we get the same for the ones I own?

lol... I know, visit my own

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

You have that option now.

[uPDATE]

Actually, I misunderstood the question at first. You can't presently filter out the waymarks you own. However, if you have visited your own waymarks, you can select the "exclude visited waymarks" option in the "my waymarks" section and view only the waymarks that you haven't visited yet.

yes, i too visit my marks, but it might be able to have both 'mine' and 'visited' searches and options--how many marks owned by others in an area have i been to?

I also have an archived fountain that came back to life but I can't find it to rearchive (new word?) it.

This was a caching issue that Sean has fixed. The first time you archived the waymark it did take, which is why you couldn't find it again.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! We'll have things running smoothly in no time with your help.

i had a national park (it wasnt run by the NPS) archived that came back to life; at least i think this was the reason, i did not see it on the wamark page.

The link in the Category Accepted in Peer Review to review the comments generates a 404 error.

This is the link I recieved:

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/peer_revi...b3-f766c843ddc0

Can someone give me a good link for the comments or email me them. I am interested in what my peers had to say for the Sit-by-me statues.

In same message the last link is missing a / between the .com and cat

http://www.Waymarking.comcat/settings.aspx...b3-f766c843ddc0

Edited by BruceS

I guess I'm just too stupid to figure it out, or just tired of trying to figure it out, but I can't find how to search for nearest Waymarks.

First, select a location by either typing in an address, city and state (or city and country), zip/postal code, or all three into the textbox at the top right corner of the site. Or, you can select a saved search from the combobox right below the address textbox. This will filter your directory so that only categories that contain waymarks in that general area are displayed. Right below the filtered directory you will find a list of nearest waymarks. If you only want to see the waymarks and not the directory, you can click the "display waymarks only" checkbox right below where you typed the address. As you navigate to the various subcategories, you will see waymarks of only that category (and also its subcategories) ordered by closest distance to the location you selected.

You can also sort these waymarks alphabetically or by date, but the logical choice is to view by closest. You also can opt to only display waymarks that contain images or to exclude waymarks that you've already visited.

You can return to the full directory at any time by selecting "clear location" link at the top right, or right above the directory. You can also change your location at any time. We recommend you doing this often. It isn't intended to be like the "you are here" of the old site. We expect you to change your search location regularly.

Edited by bootron

I can go back to a waymark that I have visited that does not belong to me, browse the gallery, select my visit photo (I always upload a visit photo), and select it to be the default photo for that waymark. According to bootron I should only be able to do that if I'm visiting a waymark I own.

What's interesting is that in many of these visited non-owned waymarks, I tagged the image as being the default image (I thought I was tagging it as the default image for my visit, so I did it as a matter of course,) and now when I pull up the visit image it has the "default image for waymark" box checked. I think this is a data migration issue.

Edited by WalruZ

Something got taken away that I used a lot. I dont know if this was deliberate or just lost in the update.

I used to be able to just go on Waymarking and click on my categories to see if I had any that needed to be approved. In other words, I could manage them. I got lazy and stopped looking at my email verifications of waymarks that needed approval. Now I cant do that. Unless there is a way and Im not seeing it. Is there a way to manage my categories without having to go through the email? Can this be restored?

Added in later:

I played around with it hoping I could find a way to manage my categories without having to click on every single email I get from Waymarking. And I cant. So now I have to click on all my Waymarking emails to see if any are not approved yet. It was much easier to just go to my categories and then see which ones had waymarks pending approval. Please fix this or tell me how to do it.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Please fix this or tell me how to do it.

The My Categories link is still available on many of the Waymarking pages (under the Lists tab). Just click the link, and you can manage your categories from there. Categories with waymarks waiting for approval are identified with the exclamation point icon (alert.gif).

Works pretty much like it always did. The only major difference I can see is that my list of categories all used to appear on a single page, but now they are spread out onto several pages.

First off, I think the new site is fantastic and the work you've put into it is obvious to me.

Yesterday, I had no issues at all with Waymarking because I went Geocaching all day... it was a nice change. :unsure:

Okay.. I'm kidding around, but the site is great guys, and your very fast repairs yesterday were excellent.

Some things that I have yet to find are:

The improved 'search' features to improve the navigation of the site. At one time TPTB had indicated that there would be new tools to help people figure out how to find Waymarks. Has that been added yet?

Increased "MY GROUPS" from five to ten was also something to occur. Am I able to form another Group yet? There isn't a link in the My Groups area that I can find.

There was talk of a new Forums area for each Category, is that something else that is still in the works?

Well... gotta run along and "visit" all of my waymarks so I can filter them out. :blink:

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

I was disappointed in the site until I discovered the problem. I have a Sony Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I am using AOL 9.0 which will not correctly format the new site. For example, a large map covers the entire center of the page. So installed Mozilla Foxfire 1.5 and the site looks great. I plan to upgrade to Service Pac 3.

Edited by Rose Red

I guess I'm showing my age or something, but I find it almost impossible to read the "Search for" area in the directory. Why are the fonts so small, and why were colors chosen that don't contrast?

I guess I suddenly got younger (I wish). Looks great now. I didn't do a thing.

Actually, I misunderstood the question at first. You can't presently filter out the waymarks you own. However, if you have visited your own waymarks, you can select the "exclude visited waymarks" option in the "my waymarks" section and view only the waymarks that you haven't visited yet.

When I click this, close the page, then open up Waymarking again, it does not stay clicked.

I tried to download the loc files for a weekend trip I am doing. I selected a waymark in the area I am going to visit (one of mine) and checked all the waymarks on the first page of returned results. I had excluded the ones I had visited already by selecting that checkbox. When I clicked the download button it took me to the homepage and I don't know where the results went. I tried several times using different selections each time ie. include all waymarks etc and each time it directed me to the home page with no download apparent. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug that needs to be addressed.

I was disappointed in the site until I discovered the problem. I have a Sony Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I am using AOL 9.0 which will not correctly format the new site. For example, a large map covers the entire center of the page. So installed Mozilla Foxfire 1.5 and the site looks great. I plan to upgrade to Service Pac 3.

AOL 9.0 has a lot of compatibility issues which we're not especially keen to delve into. Firefox is vastly superior, IMO, but if you need any further convincing re: AOL 9.0 you should read this.

:) WOW ! <li> - Bullets have been added! THANX !

One question -- are "Gallery Photographs" from Waymarks the only ones displayed on the --> * View Gallery (latest 5000) pages ?

...and only the ones submitted since 17/9/2006 ? :)

Visit image uploads are included as well, and only the most recent 5000 images are shown (i.e. 5000 images have been uploaded since September 17th (!)).

The improved 'search' features to improve the navigation of the site. At one time TPTB had indicated that there would be new tools to help people figure out how to find Waymarks. Has that been added yet?

This would be the combining of "you are here" and the location filter. Basically the google maps and address search, plus the keyword search for categories or waymarks.

Increased "MY GROUPS" from five to ten was also something to occur. Am I able to form another Group yet? There isn't a link in the My Groups area that I can find.

At the top of My Groups there is a link to "create a new group" (it used to be at the bottom).

There was talk of a new Forums area for each Category, is that something else that is still in the works?

This is still in the works and "coming soon".

I tried to download the loc files for a weekend trip I am doing. I selected a waymark in the area I am going to visit (one of mine) and checked all the waymarks on the first page of returned results. I had excluded the ones I had visited already by selecting that checkbox. When I clicked the download button it took me to the homepage and I don't know where the results went. I tried several times using different selections each time ie. include all waymarks etc and each time it directed me to the home page with no download apparent. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug that needs to be addressed.

Hmm... no one else seems to be having this problem. Have you indicated your agreement to the download policy on geocaching.com by any chance?

Check here.

As always... thanks Nate!

As for navigation, since I've been here at Waymarking so long, I wouldn't know if it changed or not as I am quite used to moving through the site. You could put a whole new way to navigate and I would miss it because I would be 'doing what I usually do'.

For finding new categories, it is the same as before, which worked just fine IMHO

For finding new listings, once I 'visit' all my own, it will be a snap!

All good on my end :) (well... except {you know} :) ). Can't have everything, but 98% is great!

:) The Blue Quasar

Hi,

As approval officer I used the Google Maps very, very often (in the previous Waymarking version).

The present tiny Google Map, shown in the upper right corner, is no longer of any use because it's not detailed enough and not clickable. (to get a zoomed or more detailed view)

In case of approving "ANWB Paddenstoelen" the aid of a detailed "Google Map" is crucial.

Please, can we have back the detailed Google maps from the previous Waymarking version? I.e. could one click on the tiny map open a new browser-instance (as in Geocaching.com) with the detailed Google Map?

We, ALaddIN, Barjon and Tijgetje, love the Waymarking 2.0 site and wish you good luck in fixing the bugs.

Regards, Barjon.

Hi,

As approval officer I used the Google Maps very, very often (in the previous Waymarking version).

The present tiny Google Map, shown in the upper right corner, is no longer of any use because it's not detailed enough and not clickable. (to get a zoomed or more detailed view)

In case of approving "ANWB Paddenstoelen" the aid of a detailed "Google Map" is crucial.

Please, can we have back the detailed Google maps from the previous Waymarking version? I.e. could one click on the tiny map open a new browser-instance (as in Geocaching.com) with the detailed Google Map?

We, ALaddIN, Barjon and Tijgetje, love the Waymarking 2.0 site and wish you good luck in fixing the bugs.

Regards, Barjon.

Thanks for the compliments, Barjon. I'm glad you like it. As for the google map, we're planning to add similar functionality as the geocaching site "gmnearest" tool in the future, as well as bring back the links to alternative map sites on the waymark pages. The map links should be there by the end of today.

I guess I'm just too stupid to figure it out, or just tired of trying to figure it out, but I can't find how to search for nearest Waymarks.

First, select a location by either typing in an address, city and state (or city and country), zip/postal code, or all three into the textbox at the top right corner of the site. Or, you can select a saved search from the combobox right below the address textbox. This will filter your directory so that only categories that contain waymarks in that general area are displayed. Right below the filtered directory you will find a list of nearest waymarks. If you only want to see the waymarks and not the directory, you can click the "display waymarks only" checkbox right below where you typed the address. As you navigate to the various subcategories, you will see waymarks of only that category (and also its subcategories) ordered by closest distance to the location you selected.

You can also sort these waymarks alphabetically or by date, but the logical choice is to view by closest. You also can opt to only display waymarks that contain images or to exclude waymarks that you've already visited.

You can return to the full directory at any time by selecting "clear location" link at the top right, or right above the directory. You can also change your location at any time. We recommend you doing this often. It isn't intended to be like the "you are here" of the old site. We expect you to change your search location regularly.

Thanks, I thought that was what I was doing but maybe I wasn't looking past the Catagories. Anyway, it is good and I think all my questions have been put to rest. Thanks again for the good work.

Mike

If I go to a waymark that I don't own in a category that I manage, I see the edit waymark button on the right hand side. If I click it I get a nasty error.

This is the URL.

http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/?aspxerrorpath=/wm/edit.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
	<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
	<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Uh-oh, I see something I don't like at all. It appears that every Waymark has a visit now with the approver showing up in a visit log. I like to go through the new Waymarks and read the visit logs. Guess it don't really matter, I'm just nosey that way I guess. But that's out if I have to click every Waymark to see if there's a real visited log.

I would like to see someday an option to see more than 10 Waymarks on a page.

That's all, nothing serious and I could be missing something.

Thanks, Mike