Which RAM mount do I buy for 60CSX?

I have my 60CSX GPSr unit and I want to get it for my car. I want one that is able to carry from one car to another without buy extra base or anything like that. Just one that brings from one car to another.

Another question. Which RAM mount do you recommend for my 60CSX unit? There are two options I think suites me....

RAM Mount Aluminum GPSMAP 60C Series 3.25'' Locking Suction Cup

RAM Mount Aluminum GPSMAP 60C Series 4'' Suction Cup Mount

Anyone knows the difference between those two? I am not sure what difference are there...same price though.

I have a Neoprene Protective Carrying Case for Garmin. Neoprene Protective Carrying Case for Garmin GPSMap 60

Will the case fit into the RAM? or I have to remove it everytime I am in the car? Please let me know...I want to buy it, but I don't know which one is good for me.

Thanks advance for all the help!!!

Edited by beautyisgod

The difference is the suction cup. The "locking" suction cup is smaller. It sticks to the window by means of a little "lock" which increases the suction. The 4" suction cup is just a regular old, really big suction cup.

I've got the 4" cup. Works great. I'm sure the other model works great, too. RAM products are pretty good no matter what you get.

Jamie

I've got the 4" cup - it's not moved since attached to the windscreen some months ago. You have a choice of arms, 5" and 7" I believe. The 7" is more versatile, allows you greater choice of where the cup goes on the windscreen without the gps being too far away for viewing. ( I was able to mount it all without affecting the driving view). I am very satisfied with the product.

The screw in button that came with the gps has to be fitted in order to attach the gps to the RAM cup. This may prevent use of the protective cover.

Geoff

Thanks everyone for your help! This is what I got from the staff at GPSCITY:

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately no, the case will not be able to fit in with the cradle

of the unit.

The RAM-B-148-GA12U is not the same as RAM-B-166-GA12U. They both have

a suction cup, but the suction cup in the RAM-B-166-GA12U combination

is very very strong and the RAM-B-148-GA12U suction cup is not very

strong at all. I would recommend the 166-GA12U over the 148-GA12U anyday.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask! Thank

you.

Best Regards,

Guess I will go with the RAM Mount Aluminum GPSMAP 60C Series 3.25'' Locking Suction Cup :)

I have the following three things:

1 x 3.25" twist-lock suction cup mount

prod2817.jpg

1 x Universal adaptor plate for Garmin cradles

prod1983a.jpg

1 x Automotive Mounting Bracket GPSMAP60 Series

prod2183a.jpg

Actually just for the cradle, cradle-holder and pin part, I haven't seen that sold separately.

Together it looks like this, and fits on the windshield to the right side of me.

The GPSr is then below the lower edge of the windshield and blocks none of my view and is within easy reach.

gpsr-mount.pnggarmin-mount.png

I bought it in the UK on the Internet and it cost me just under 50 £

ProsperoDK/René

I have the following three things:

1 x 3.25" twist-lock suction cup mount

prod2817.jpg

1 x Universal adaptor plate for Garmin cradles

prod1983a.jpg

1 x Automotive Mounting Bracket GPSMAP60 Series

prod2183a.jpg

Actually just for the cradle, cradle-holder and pin part, I haven't seen that sold separately.

Together it looks like this, and fits on the windshield to the right side of me.

The GPSr is then below the lower edge of the windshield and blocks none of my view and is within easy reach.

gpsr-mount.pnggarmin-mount.png

I bought it in the UK on the Internet and it cost me just under 50 £

ProsperoDK/René

Cool pictures! But what model are those? they are not same as mine right? Those who purchase a RAM Mount, it would be wonderful if you put the model name or link it to the page so we can get details of it for comparsion and info.

I ordered mine for $52 ~ CAD currency. I am not sure how it works, do we suppose to put it on the windshield? is that the only option? or can we put on the dashboard? not sure how I should put my RAM in the car, until I get it, I will know. If anyone can take a shot of the RAM while inside the car for me to see, that would be great! As I am a very visual person, I can't understand much from text, and reading and instruction....better to see it with my own eyes

I would like to add one more option. The bean bag mount. I use it in my rental cars all the time. It is the easiest of all the mounts to transfer from one vehicle to another and it does not leave a mark on the windshields of the cars like my suciton cup mount did. It stays in place while I am drivin unless I drive off road on extremely bumpy terrain. It also has the added advantage of allowing me to put the whole thing on the floor out of sight while I was parked so no-one will view it and attempt to steal my GPS.

Edited by Night Stalker

I would like to add one more option. The bean bag mount. I use it in my rental cars all the time. It is the easiest of all the mounts to transfer from one vehicle to another and it does not leave a mark on the windshields of the cars like my suciton cup mount did. It stays in place while I am drivin unless I drive off road on extremely bumpy terrain. It also has the added advantage of allowing me to put the whole thing on the floor out of sight while I was parked so no-one will view it and attempt to steal my GPS.

I originally used the windshield suction mount and it worked well and I liked it. Then I found out that the California motor vehicle laws prohibit mounting anything on the windshield, rear window, or side windows. Can't figure this one out as the GPS only blocked my view of the hood. Am now using the beanbag mount and like it better than the suction mount. Much easier to take the GPS off and on. Adapts to other cars easily and can even pick it up and move closer to me to read if I need to. I also use it off road in 4WD situations and it works fine unless you are going fast or at steep angles. You can even use it on your table if you are setting up routes or waypoints. Took it on a houseboat trip and it was solid on the console. You might want to give this option a thought.

If your dashboard configuration permits, save yourself a lot of money and buy one of those cell phone button mounts. The adhesive type sells for about $4 and the kind that clips into the air vents runs about $8.

I have a Honda CRV and with adhesive button mount next to the steering wheel. Works just fine.

Here is the adhesive type:

afd8d3b0-2cac-413e-8c06-7f32beaf7484.jpg

And here it is in action:

30995da8-d5b7-4a37-b515-b8d0713d7d85.jpg

Yes the unit gets reception in that location and yes the mount holds. Its been in place close to 2 years.

Edited by briansnat

Cool pictures! But what model are those? they are not same as mine right? Those who purchase a RAM Mount, it would be wonderful if you put the model name or link it to the page so we can get details of it for comparsion and info.

Back from work today I could look up the parts:

The "1 x 3.25" twist-lock suction cup mount" is this one.

Part number: RAP-B-166

The "1 x Universal adaptor plate for Garmin cradles" is this one.

Part number: RAM-HOL-GA11U

The "1 x Automotive Mounting Bracket GPSMAP60 Series" is this one.

Part number: 010-10456-00

I am not sure how it works, do we suppose to put it on the windshield? is that the only option? or can we put on the dashboard? not sure how I should put my RAM in the car, until I get it, I will know. If anyone can take a shot of the RAM while inside the car for me to see, that would be great! As I am a very visual person, I can't understand much from text, and reading and instruction....better to see it with my own eyes.

It is supposed to sit on the windshield like this:

car-mount1.pngcar-mount2.png

ProsperoDK/René

Thanks ProsperoDK for that pix! So you got like 3 seperate parts? and you paid them seperately? how much total? I spent $50 ~ CAD.

Instead of getting the Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable (010-10085-00) $21.95 from GPSCITY

Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable

garcigadapt.jpg

Above picture: Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable (010-10085-00) $21.95 from GPSCITY

I got the USB Car Charger Adapter 12-24V cigarette for Cell phone $1.5 on ebay.ca.

USB Car Charger Adapter 12-24V

de_1_b.JPG

Above picture: USB Car Charger Adapter 12-24V cigarette for Cell phone $1.50

Shipping cost $6. So that costs like $7.50

I use that USB Car Charger in conjuction with the extra USB Cable from my Zen Creative Jukebox.

And for the RAM Mount, I got the RAM Mount Aluminum GPSMAP 60C Series 3.25'' Locking Suction Cup $39.95

ramb166ga12.jpg

If your dashboard configuration permits, save yourself a lot of money and buy one of those cell phone button mounts. The adhesive type sells for about $4 and the kind that clips into the air vents runs about $8.

I have a Honda CRV and with adhesive button mount next to the steering wheel. Works just fine.

Yes the unit gets reception in that location and yes the mount holds. Its been in place close to 2 years.

The way you hook it up...you couldn't bring it from one car to another right? It is dead lock for one car right? I want one that is able to carry from 1 car to another. Would yours work for my situation? anyway...I already purchased everything....spent around $60

Thanks ProsperoDK for that pix! So you got like 3 seperate parts? and you paid them seperately? how much total? I spent $50 ~ CAD.

At the current exchange rates I paid 93 $ (it was 50 £ including the shipping and handling from the UK to Denmark)

Instead of getting the Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable (010-10085-00) $21.95 from GPSCITY

Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable

I got the USB Car Charger Adapter 12-24V cigarette for Cell phone $1.5 on ebay.ca.

USB Car Charger Adapter 12-24V

The difference between the two is that the Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter will charge your rechargeable batteries in the GPSr, whereas the USB Car Charger will only function as an external source of power, the batteries will not be charged via the USB interface.

I heard of some people here in the forum that didn't like the RAM-mount cradle for the GPSmap 60 series, that's why I went for the Garmin cradle instead, but the suction cup part looks like the same as mine.

I think they said it was too hard on the rubber at the bottom of the GPSr.

ProsperoDK/René

Edited by ProsperoDK

The difference between the two is that the Circular 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter will charge your rechargeable batteries in the GPSr, whereas the USB Car Charger will only function as an external source of power, the batteries will not be charged via the USB interface.

I don't know where you heard that, but it's incorrect. The GPS won't act as a charger, regardless of which external power port is being used. Even if it could, it would be a bad idea. Charging a battery causes it to heat up quite a bit, and the memory card is right behind the batteries.

I don't know where you heard that, but it's incorrect. The GPS won't act as a charger, regardless of which external power port is being used. Even if it could, it would be a bad idea. Charging a battery causes it to heat up quite a bit, and the memory card is right behind the batteries.

Well, I guess I stand corrected ;) I was certain I had read it somewhere here on the forum though, but I guess not.

ProsperoDK/René

I originally used the windshield suction mount and it worked well and I liked it. Then I found out that the California motor vehicle laws prohibit mounting anything on the windshield, rear window, or side windows. Can't figure this one out as the GPS only blocked my view of the hood. Am now using the beanbag mount and like it better than the suction mount. Much easier to take the GPS off and on. Adapts to other cars easily and can even pick it up and move closer to me to read if I need to. I also use it off road in 4WD situations and it works fine unless you are going fast or at steep angles. You can even use it on your table if you are setting up routes or waypoints. Took it on a houseboat trip and it was solid on the console. You might want to give this option a thought.

Guys what are bean bags mount look like? where can we get it? can you please provide a link? I need to see PICTURES lol, are bean bags are like animals stuff?

Go to the Garmin website. It is basically a beanbag with a mounting base that you attach the GPSR that is mounted in an adjustable holder. Depending on your dash configuration it may or may not be secure. I use mine in a 1989 4Runner and 91 MR2. The suction cup mount may be more secure but the beanbag mount is really easy to use. If there is a seller in your area that handles Garmin products they should be able to show you one. I bought mine from GPSONSALE. Their website has pictures of it.

Trust me, I have been through roads/trails that I was much more concerned about my truck than my gpsr but it never failed me. It stayed where I put it. I can understand the concerns of some and the dash types. But for me it has worked flawlessly. My wife has a Honda CRV and I would not consider the bean bag mount for it, It would be like popcorn in a pot.

hey looking at the picture, i dont know how does it get balance in the car? how does it not fall over? if you hit a bumpy road, it does not fall over? does it have any adhesive on the bottom? can we bring from one car to another?

beautisgod,

Weight keeps it planted where you want it, Yes you can move from one vehicle to another in seconds. How well it works depends on your vehicle and the dash configuration. I go off road at times. No I don't Baja at 90 miles an hour, but I get into some rough terrain at times and have never had a problem so far. My only complaint is that sometimes when the sun is in my face, I have a problem seeing the screen. But, It's never fallen off my dash yet, and no, it does not have adhesive on the bottom. Take care and hope you can find the best one that works for you.

Trust me, I have been through roads/trails that I was much more concerned about my truck than my gpsr but it never failed me. It stayed where I put it. I can understand the concerns of some and the dash types. But for me it has worked flawlessly. My wife has a Honda CRV and I would not consider the bean bag mount for it, It would be like popcorn in a pot.

LOL, trust me. Real off roading will make the bean bag fly.

LOL, trust me. Real off roading will make the bean bag fly.

That's funny, cause you are right. I can just imagine what my little bean bag mount would have done for me years ago when I had some "high test fuel" in my blood. When I say off road these days, it pretty much means roads that are not on the map, may it be smooth dirt, gravel or rocks. I take it easy on these "roads" so I don't beat up my truck like I used to years ago. But thanks for bringing back some good memories. The bean bag mount might be better used for old farts like me. :P I see your point though.

I've been to multiple Targets, Walmarts, Radio Shacks, Circuit Citys, and Best Buys. I can't find that button mount anywhere! The closest I could find is one made out of steel that is made for CB radio microphones, but it doesn't fit right.

Anyone have experience with the RAM Flex Arm Twist Lock Mount? Looks kinda slick & less bulky than the other twist lock mount they have.

Jim

I just bought the flex arm mount for my 76csx. It is very easy to position the GPSr in exactly the right spot. The only problem I found is that there is quite a bit of screen vibration. The flex arm is very stiff and is 6" long. I'm not sure what is causing the vibration ( I think its the long arm ). I placed a block under the GPSr mount and it gets rid of most of the vibration.

Does the screen vibrate at all when using the rigid suction cup mounts?

Does the screen vibrate at all when using the rigid suction cup mounts?

I tried two different setups with my rigid arm suction cup. With the rigid arm resting on the dash and with the arm not touching the dash.

Its a 20 year old car that I have so it doesn't run as smoothly or vibration-less as a newer car, but for me the best was with the rigid arm NOT touching the dash. For the most part there's very little vibration except if I hit the resonance frequency of the arm, so I'm very satisfied with my choice.

ProsperoDK/René

So I got the RAM Mount Aluminum GPSMAP 60C Series 3.25'' Locking Suction Cup today. Now I jsut don't know how to put it together!! it doesn't come with an instruction. And the thing that suppose to lock onto my GPSr, it doesn't come out! it is so hard to pull off!!! I almost disconnect the antenna from my GPSr cuz I pull it too hard...my gosh, how to you remove it? and plus I do not know how to put the components together, the suctions goes where??? no idea....I gotta go shopping now...will write more later tonight

I got the same thing just a few days ago. Maybe this will help:

1. Connect one of the diamond plates to the bracket using the screws and nuts. The nut goes into a slot inside the bracket and the screw goes in at the back of the bracket.

2. Connect the other diamond plate to the suction cup using only the longer screws.

3. If you loosen the middle nut of the aluminium arm then you can pop both the plates in.

4. I kept the looser one attached to the bracket and the tighter one to the base.

5. To put the 60CSX in and take it out, you'll need to attach the belt mounting nut which came with the 60CSx.

6. When putting it in or taking it out, push the top of the bracket back. It will flex enough so you can pull the 60CSx off. There is absolutely no damage to the 60CSx rubber when you flex the top part of the bracket enough.

Cheers,

krsnad

p.s: Heres the list of components I got:

1. Suction cup base

2. Aluminium arm

3. Two diamond plates with balls

4. Two long screws to attach plate to base

5. Two screws and corresponding nuts to attach plate to bracket.

6. Bracket

This is what it should look like when assembled:

ramb166ga12.jpg

A. You should have received one of these:

RAP2241.jpg

B. Two of these:

RAMB238.jpg

C. One of these:

RAMB201.jpg

D. And one of these (plus 4 nuts and 4 screws):

RAMHOLGA12.jpg

Match the diamond plates of the suction cup "A", and one of the ball plates "B", and screw them together with the provided screws.

Match the diamond plates of the GPS cradle "D", and the other ball plate "B", and screw them together with the provided screws.

Turn the knob on the arm "C" to open the spring-loaded side of arm. Open it just enough to insert one of the balls "B" (but don't). Squeeze down on the spring-loaded side to open up the other side, and clip it on one of the balls. You can then turn the knob to open up the spring-loaded side, and clip it on the other ball. Now tighten the knob so that you have a bit of "grab" on both sides.

The unit is assembled. Attach to windshield (or whatever), position the arm, and tighten the knob to lock it in place.

Also, the belt clip button attachment on the GPS cradle is very tight. I took a rat-tail file and filed the cradle's tab down a good bit, so that it still held firm, but would release when I pushed on the release tab on the back of the cradle.

Guys thanks for all the inputs! I have more questions, I will attach a picture and I have questions regarding the pix.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9237/ramxo1.jpg

#1 on the pix in blue color...I am writing to say that it wont remove from the cradle!! it stuck so hard, why do they design it like that? cuz I thought I should be able to remove it on and off EASILY!!! and take it with me to any place I want. If I am done with it in the car, I want to be able to remove it off the cradle quick and painless as possible, with the design so far, I am stuck with it with. I just can't remove it, and if I am albe to remove it, I want to be able to put it on easily, but it was difficult to put on the cradle also!

Prime Suspect, what is a rat-tail file look like? I guess I can use the finger file to sand it down? but how much should we file it down? so far, I can't even remove it to file it down a bit...this is really terrible design for me.

Blue question mark with one of it only (?): those screws are really sharp!!! i think it will damage the hole if I screw it in!!! my gosh, what kind of things they are sending me? lol this is really bad...I think they send me the wrong screw also! That is the longest screw and sharpest of them all...and where do they go into? I have no idea. I have a total of SIX (6) screws and not 4 like Prime Suspect says

And the screws that suppose to go into the suction part...it wont fit also, it just wont screw inside

Blue question mark with two of it (??) This is a really weird circle thing...I am suppose to get two diamonds ball thingy...but they send me one and one other circle one...see? This is really wrong parts they are sending me right???

ps sorry for the huge picture, I have removed the image in here, you will have to copy the link and paste it in another window for best viewing

Edited by beautyisgod

If you can't get the cradle to release, you just need an Allen Wrench (hex wrench). You can insert it from the back, through the hole in the cradle, and unscrew it.

It looks like they sent you 1 correct ball attachment, and 1 incorrect one. They should both have a diamond shaped plate.

A rat-tail file is a thin, round, tapered file. Because they're thin, they're useful for shaping inside holes and the like.

filingtheinsideofhoopuv8.jpg

Edited by Prime Suspect

The way you hook it up...you couldn't bring it from one car to another right? It is dead lock for one car right? I want one that is able to carry from 1 car to another. Would yours work for my situation? anyway...I already purchased everything....spent around $60

Of course I could bring it from car to car. I just need another $4 mount for the other car.

If you can't get the cradle to release, you just need an Allen Wrench (hex wrench). You can insert it from the back, through the hole in the cradle, and unscrew it.

It looks like they sent you 1 correct ball attachment, and 1 incorrect one. They should both have a diamond shaped plate.

A rat-tail file is a thin, round, tapered file. Because they're thin, they're useful for shaping inside holes and the like.

filingtheinsideofhoopuv8.jpg

I do not have an Allen Wrench.

And I do not have a rat-tail file too, where could I find it? boy....talk about bad luck little me

So I wrote them and they said I still could use the circle ball plate thing, or if I want I can have it change for the diamond plate....which do you think I should keep? the diamond plate or the circle ball thing? it actually fits...but I want to know which is better for my purchase decision? Please advice me on this.

p.s my cradle is still stuck lol I cant remove it!!!

So I wrote them and they said I still could use the circle ball plate thing, or if I want I can have it change for the diamond plate....which do you think I should keep? the diamond plate or the circle ball thing? it actually fits...but I want to know which is better for my purchase decision? Please advice me on this.

p.s my cradle is still stuck lol I cant remove it!!!

You could use some coarse grit sandpaper around your finger to sand it down. As for getting it off, you can get a cheap set of standard hex keys (Allen wrenches) at any hardware store for 3$ or 4$. Or go to your neighborhood bicycle shop, and they'll probably do it for nada. But if you get it stuck again...

Edited by Prime Suspect