Silly Question regarding Virtuals

mgbmusic

So I just found my first Virtual cache and multi cache today.. yippee! anyway. THe description says "You will not get credit for this until you tell me XX info about the site". ok fine, so I emailed. When do I log the cache? Now? or do I wait until I hear back? Just curious...

Happy Trails.

--MGB

Log it straight away -- simplest reason being that if the cache owner is no longer paying attention to the responses, you might totally forget about it, and not realize that no one ever emailed back.

I'd say log it right away too, but for basically the opposite reason. If the cache owner is actually paying attention, its probably easier for them to compare things if they get the log notice and the requested info at the same time. Instead of waiting to see if the person is slow in sending the info, or trying to remember if this person or that emailed them weeks ago or not :anicute: .

I have found several virtuals, earthcaches, and some traditionals that require email verification. When I am on a cache run and a cache pops up that requires emailing, I write it down! Then, when I get home and start logging my finds...I get all my logging done, and then go back and email the required emails. I don't think cache owners are going to flip out and see the log in their inbox before the email from you giving them the answers. I own a traditional cache that requires emailing me for an answer to a question, and more times than not people log before emailing....and to me that is okay!

If you email the cache owner and immediately log the find so that you don't have to risk forgetting that you found it then that is okay....because if the cache owner sees that the answer was incorrect and feels that you do not get credit for the find, they can delete your log with only three clicks of the mouse.

I wouldn't worry about what order you do things in and whether or not you log your find right away....as long as the required question is answered, then you should be fine.

Edited by Super_Nate

Log it straight away -- simplest reason being that if the cache owner is no longer paying attention to the responses, you might totally forget about it, and not realize that no one ever emailed back.

Ooh! I like this excuse!!!! Good one! Of the fifty one virtuals I've done, I think I've gotten responses back for fifteen or twenty owners. Several owners have not logged into geocacing for years. I'd still be waiting if I chose to wait for a response.