Problem accessing geocaching.com website

chameleon family

Maybe some smart computer person can help me out. Up till last night I was able to access the geocaching.com webiste. When I try to connect it gives me the "a connection failure has occured" error message. I have two macs one running OSX 10.3.9 (safari and Internet Explorer) and the other OS9 running Internet Explorer and I am on high speed cable. I can access any other website, e-mail is working fine, I have tried restarting, clearing my cache (computer that is) history to no avail. I can access the site via my remote access through work. So what gives? Any thoughts? Dont tell me they have gone anti mac!!!

Maybe some smart computer person can help me out. Up till last night I was able to access the geocaching.com webiste. When I try to connect it gives me the "a connection failure has occured" error message. I have two macs one running OSX 10.3.9 (safari and Internet Explorer) and the other OS9 running Internet Explorer and I am on high speed cable. I can access any other website, e-mail is working fine, I have tried restarting, clearing my cache (computer that is) history to no avail. I can access the site via my remote access through work. So what gives? Any thoughts? Dont tell me they have gone anti mac!!!
Nope, I don't think they've gone anti-mac. I browsed the forums this morning with Firefox and MacOSX 10.3.9 with no problems.

Since you see the problem on OSX and OS9 on different Mac's, it would seem like the problem lies upstream (unless you've got 3rd party firewall software on OS9). I would try connecting one of the mac's directly to your cable or dsl modem and see if the problem persists. If it does, you can probably declare your router innocent.

My next troubleshooting step would be to use an alternate DNS service (OpenDNS is quite good) to see if your ISP's DNS services are the problem (I'm presuming you'd use a different DNS server at work).

At that point, I'd be out of ideas. Let us know what you find out?

Jon

BTW it just occured to me that you might only be talking about difficulty with the cache pages. Do you have the same problem accessing the forums or just the cache pages?

Edited by jon & miki
Nope, I don't think they've gone anti-mac. I browsed the forums this morning with Firefox and MacOSX 10.3.9 with no problems.

Since you see the problem on OSX and OS9 on different Mac's, it would seem like the problem lies upstream (unless you've got 3rd party firewall software on OS9). I would try connecting one of the mac's directly to your cable or dsl modem and see if the problem persists. If it does, you can probably declare your router innocent.

My next troubleshooting step would be to use an alternate DNS service (OpenDNS is quite good) to see if your ISP's DNS services are the problem (I'm presuming you'd use a different DNS server at work).

At that point, I'd be out of ideas. Let us know what you find out?

Jon

BTW it just occured to me that you might only be talking about difficulty with the cache pages. Do you have the same problem accessing the forums or just the cache pages?

I just tried connecting directly to my modem, still no luck. I called my provider and they couldnt figure out the problem either, apparently they could access the sites ok. I just found another site. apple.ca and apple.com that I cant access, whats going on!!!??

oh, I also have problems access any pages to do with Groundspeak.com