Lock n Lock?

TrekMan27

They are the second best geocache container available. Basically plastic containers with locking lids. They are popular because they are inexpensive, reasonably watertight and come in a variety of sizes and shapes.

Here are a few examples. Some are some decked out with camo tape, but plastic spraypaint also works pretty well. The one on the right in the upper photo isn't a real Lock n Lock but a dollar store knock-off. Inexpensive, but they don't seem to work quite as well.

d1831752-3d35-4f66-b7c5-dc7963649532.jpg

c08906d5-f035-4012-a6f0-c9aeefa315fc.jpg

Edited by briansnat

For the benefit of any UK 'newbies' ... :anicute:

also available in the UK as Addis Clip and Close, which I found in my usual supermarket when I actually bothered to look.. having wondered for years where to get them, LOL

http://www.addis.co.uk/category_content.php?cat_id=22

I just need to find where our local cache placers get those snazzy logbooks from now.. ringbound with the elastic doodah that keeps them closed...

they are very nice containers for being plastic. great seal.

not good for areas with wildlife though, as they tend to get chewed on.

the rubbermaid ones with the rubber ring on the outside of the lid seem to be the best choice for plastic containers near wildlife, as I've seen several of those chewed on by squirrels/mice/whatever and survived it because the rubber on the outside keeps them away from the actual plastic.

they are very nice containers for being plastic. great seal.

not good for areas with wildlife though, as they tend to get chewed on.

the rubbermaid ones with the rubber ring on the outside of the lid seem to be the best choice for plastic containers near wildlife, as I've seen several of those chewed on by squirrels/mice/whatever and survived it because the rubber on the outside keeps them away from the actual plastic.

or just get an ammo box, few mice can chew threw steel :anicute:

I have yet to have one used by teething critters.

But it is a good idea to use only new containers, never the old ones from the kitchen.

One of the advantages of the Lock-N-Locks is that they come in so many sizes.

Always one that will fit the space.

Yes, Lock n Locks were explained best in that first post. xD I have 2 L&L caches, both are exposed to lots of rain, and they stay perfectly dry. I agree that they are the best containers around... although there are some Nano containers on ebay that are much easier to hide, and harder to find... *cough*Lasik*cough* Anyway, L&L's are a great investment. (And they're cheaper than ammo boxes. xD)

... (And they're cheaper than ammo boxes. xD)

Um... no. At least not here :). To get an actual big one (2.5qt and up) is like five bucks or which, which is about the cost of an ammo box. Don't get me wrong, Lock n Lock are good containers, especially for plastic, but I see them as an alternative when ammo box aren't possiable. Maybe you just can't find them in your area, or maybe whatever park has the crazy idea that ammo boxes will scare people :) , etc.

woah, that's expensive. Here an Ammo Box (the cheapest one possible) costs $5.50, and that L&L costs $4.75. Well, it all depends on where you live then. :)

definitely worth an extra 75 cents to get teh ammo box. :)

Other problems with locknlocks is the tabs tend to break off in cold weather, and they don't hold camo paint very well.

Caches get used and abused heavily over time, you rarely see one that doesn't look like it's been dragged by a bus. Plastic containers, even good ones, just aren't built for that kind of abuse.

woah, that's expensive. Here an Ammo Box (the cheapest one possible) costs $5.50, and that L&L costs $4.75. Well, it all depends on where you live then. :)

definitely worth an extra 75 cents to get teh ammo box. :)

Other problems with locknlocks is the tabs tend to break off in cold weather, and they don't hold camo paint very well.

Caches get used and abused heavily over time, you rarely see one that doesn't look like it's been dragged by a bus. Plastic containers, even good ones, just aren't built for that kind of abuse.

True which is why they are the second best container. I have however had good results with paint using a plastic primer and regular spraypaint over it. Its held up quite well so far. Before that I just used camo tape as you can see in the above photos.

The difference is that I can go to any number of stores around here and pick up Lock and Locks. Ammo cans, I'd have to mail order.

Ammo cans aren't as obvious, but they are around. Check sporting goods and hunting stores. I drove 100 miles looking for a "surplus store" unsuccessfully, only to find a big chain superstore right in my town that had a pile of 50 cal ammo cans for $ 3.99 in the hunting department.