compass required

nfa

I am pro "needs special gear" requirement instead. Would that work?

Actually I am surprised that we are missing this attribute.

That sounds good, and would cover more situations than my original suggestion...

Jamie - NFA

this occurred to me today while driving...there are lots of offset and/or puzzle caches that require the use of a compass in order to find the cache container...what do you think?

ähm, why would i need a compass as long as i have a gpsr (unless i'm somewhere indoor or underground)?

this occurred to me today while driving...there are lots of offset and/or puzzle caches that require the use of a compass in order to find the cache container...what do you think?

ähm, why would i need a compass as long as i have a gpsr (unless i'm somewhere indoor or underground)?

Batteries die, GPSrs smash on rocks, float down rivers, get left sitting by a cache, reception gets lost. I had my old one fall off of my belt clip without me noticing until I was 1/4+ mile down the trail.

My old one broke on a cache because the batteries died, and when I pulled them out to replace them, the battery connectors snapped off and went flying into the weeds. I couldn't find them, but even if I could I wouldn't have been able to fix it then and there.

Also, not all GPSrs can project a waypoint using feet (my old one was limited to .1 mile increments).

Need I go on?

So in conclusion, a compass is a nice backup to have.

Edited by ThePropers

Also, not all GPSrs can project a waypoint using feet (my old one was limited to .1 mile increments).

Need I go on?

So in conclusion, a compass is a nice backup to have.

this was not about having a backup but about compass requirements.

if you need some short range projection your GPSr can't do, you might try to use a reciprocal heading by adding (or subtracting) 180° from the given course.

A compass has come in handing even on regular caches (tree cover can be a bear).

Can a new attribute be created under "Special Equipment" called "Other, See Listing"?

It doesn't make sense to have attributes for all of the weird stuff people may be required to bring with them for some caches, so a catch-all attribute would at least alert a cacher to double check the listing before they head out. Or if in the field with a pocket query, they know they may not be able to seek that one out.

No idea what the Attribute icon would look like though!