Geocache Coordinates from PC to GPS, gotta be a way dear lord!

Hello,

I know that the "Truth is out there" and I'm quite certain that it's right in front of my nose, but if this question were a cache box I would have to label it, "Not Found!" :rolleyes:

Here goes, I just purchased and received my new Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. I downloaded and installed the "Mapsource" software that came with it and logged onto Geocaching.com and did a query for all the caches in and around town. :D

I downloaded about 15 different cache locations into one single folder on my PC and then I placed them into the mapsource program, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get them into mapsource faster then one at a time. I select one file and transfer it to mapsource then I have to downloaded it to the GPS unit before I start the whole process over again or else the first file disappears. ;)

Yes I tried to select all of the .gpx files from my folder at once using the control button and shift feature but it will only allow me to select one file at a time for transfer to mapsource.

I even stopped, counted to ten and said a little prayer, but to no avail.... :D

Can someone tell me how I can transfer a batch of .gpx files into mapsource (or any other program) so that I can then transfer them into my GPS unit at once?

Your knowledge, expertise and recommendations are greatly appreciated. :)

Ray

To get a batch of GPX files best to use a program like GSAK - Geocaching swiss army knife - $20 and worth every penny.

However, to make the whole process easier - goto your my account page and use a Pocket Query to get all the caches you want into a single GPX file.

I've got to second this suggestion. GSAK is a great program - easily imports Pocket Queries, lots of ways to parse the data (multiple databases, custom macros, etc) and seems to support nearly every GPS out there. Clyde (program author) is also a really nice guy. I find it's use a little bit quirky, but there's nothing better out there and it's always being improved.

To get a batch of GPX files best to use a program like GSAK - Geocaching swiss army knife - $20 and worth every penny.

However, to make the whole process easier - goto your my account page and use a Pocket Query to get all the caches you want into a single GPX file.

Correction, GSAK is free.

Of course, after 21 days you get those nag screens that get progressively worse, but it's still free if you can put up with them (I lasted about 30 days before I ponied up the cache....I mean cash. Yes, I typed it that way by accident....stupid addiction)

But the Pocket Query/GSAK combo is the way to go.

It sounds like you are downloading the .gpx file individually from the Pocket Query preview page. If you select a day for the PQ to run, you will recieve an email with an attachment. Save the attached file to your computer and after it is un-zipped you can open the .gpx file in Mapsource and have all the cache info loaded at the same time. Mapsource can then send the waypoints to your gps.

It sounds like you are downloading the .gpx file individually from the Pocket Query preview page. If you select a day for the PQ to run, you will recieve an email with an attachment. Save the attached file to your computer and after it is un-zipped you can open the .gpx file in Mapsource and have all the cache info loaded at the same time. Mapsource can then send the waypoints to your gps.

JPatton, Bingo! That's exactly what I was looking to do. I just set up my Pocket Queries yesterday and have them scheduled for Thursday. So, I had not seen the single file feature yet. To all the other replies, Thank You, I appreciate your time and info.

:rolleyes: TEAM WESTERN SKY RANCH ;)

In the interest of overloading you with information :anicute: here's another solution. If you use Easy GPS, you can open a bunch of gpx or loc files, they show up as tabs. Simply make a new one, copy and paste the info from the other tabs into that one, and upload that tab's info. Sounds more complicated than it is. That's how I do it when I'm just browsing the "find a cache" page and find several I want to save, and don't want to set up a query.

In the interest of overloading you with information :anicute: here's another solution. If you use Easy GPS, you can open a bunch of gpx or loc files, they show up as tabs. Simply make a new one, copy and paste the info from the other tabs into that one, and upload that tab's info. Sounds more complicated than it is. That's how I do it when I'm just browsing the "find a cache" page and find several I want to save, and don't want to set up a query.

Or you could use the Dos Copy command.

C:>copy *.loc all.loc

This will merge all the loc files into one file named all.loc

I'd also recommend PocketQueries and GSAK, but to answer your original question...

If you have separate files, only one can be loaded into MapSource at a time. You CAN highlight a waypoint, and copy it to your clipboard. Load your next file, and then in the waypoint window of MapSource, do a paste. Voila, you've got two waypoints in one file. Then, highlight both, do a copy, load the next file, do a paste... etc. Painful, but if you don't have the PQ capability or don't have GSAK, this works.