What type of people are Geocachers

lacruz18

This is my first topic in this forum and I would like to open here a discussion about Geocaching in general and types of Geocachers. First of all excuse my poor english, as I am a German living on Tenerife island (Canary Islands) since nearly 7 years. I got to Geocaching accidentially by stumbling on it casually and I liked (and still like it) it very much, as I like to walk with and w/o my dogs. Initially I thought, that Geocachers are people, who like to walk, make nice excursions and see the really great places of a country/island/area. Meanwhile I realized, that this is NOT true for many (most?) of the Geocachers. They just like to make POINTS, quick and easy. The GREAT caches, that I placed on the Island (LACRUZ18- 20 Caches- 25% of all caches on the island) are visited very rarely, while the 'quick and easy' caches are visited quite often. Also I realized, that many Cachers do not really respect the work, which you have, in working out and placing a cache. They even do not hide the cache any more well after having logged it. I saw that too in caches, which I visited from other people. They have all the time to go there and write into the log, but afterwards they go away quickly, without respecting the work, you have put into the cache.

One more example, which I experienced. A cache has been wet for some reason. Instead of spending the time to dry it (just laying into the sun for half an hour) people go away, calling for cache maintenance. I actually would even have more examples, but hink that this is enough for the time being.

What are your experiences from different countries/people?

Really would like to get some reactions and

Saludos Paco (which is my first name here on the Island)

Edited by lacruz18

Geocachers are everyone, literally.

"What type of people are geocachers" is no more answerable than "What type of people are Germans" or "What type of people are Baptists".

I have seen every age group, every profession, every personality type you can imagine out there geocaching.

I know cachers who only enjoy long hikes and cachers who only enjoy lightpole micros and cachers who only cache alone and cachers who only cache with others, and every combination in between.

I see no way to typecast the geocacher demographic, other than white. For whatever reason I see very few black and latino cachers... other than that cachers are so different as to defy categorization.

I think the troubles you are seeing are troubles of a society, not just geocachers. I think you'll find the same experience with any group of people. Some will love extreme sports, some will be couch potatoes. Some will be kind and considerate, some will be brutish and inconsiderate.

Societies are different everywhere you go. I expect that GeoPirat in Germany has a different perspective, most of the folks in his area will likely be quite respectful of caches and enjoy the long hike. I have cached in 26 American states and can tell you that geocaching in Alabama is a far different experience than geocaching in Pennsylvania, the people just think and treat each other differently.

Ask yourself "what type of people am I living among" and you'll then know what to expect of geocachers in your area.

Ed

I have come to understand that most Geocachers are simply a cross section of society with a slight lean toward gadget geeks. Because of the diverse number, ages and physical fitness of geocachers, the in-town, easy access ones tend to see more traffic. Many of us do perfer the long walks and scenic vistas but not all.

Yes - you are right some folks enjoy this activity only for the find count but I think most cachers do enjoy something more of the actvity. I too have seen my caches poorly hidden by some but I never know exactly how they got that way. I often ask visitors to "hide as good as you found it" - however, if the wind or weather or animals uncovers it, then it slowly becomes more exposed. That and only the 1 person in 10 that slings it back into postion to run on to the next. I hope that 90% plus are thoughtfully re-hiding it.

While some geocachers are bad for the activity, I think far more go out of thier way to be kind, respectfully and willing help. Too many examples of that to mention here.

Yeah, I think you see a lot of cachers who are just for quick points, but I wouldn't classify people who cache as that. A variety of people are out there caching who do respect the work that you put in. Some are out to be FTF, some love seeing the country, some like trading for swag while others love geocoins or TB's. Some cache just for something fun to do, such as family outings (my daughter loves to go treasure hunting and she also loves being FTF; she's only 7). People in my area usually do a great job of rehiding the cache better than what the original cache did. I would say that geocachers are a very eclectic group of people and you must have an unusually high contingent of careless cachers for you to feel such a way.

As far as the wet cache goes, the containers are supposed to be waterproof and it is the owner's responsibility to do maintenance. I don't really care to set a cache out for a half an hour for a couple of reasons:

1. I would like to move on to a new cache.

2. Where am I supposed to dry out the cache, in the area so muggles can find it.

3. What if another cacher is looking for the cache while it is being dried out, then they might log as the cache being missing.

4. It is a lot easier for the owner to print a new log sheet as it would be for me to wait an hour at the cache site.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't dry it out, in fact we have one in the area that was wet I was going to go place a new log sheet, but forgot. So its not always about being lazy or careless, sometimes its just about being forgetful.

I can only answer for myself, as such it won't be much of an answer for the question of what kinds of people are cachers. I agree with those above that one can really not say what kind of people cachers are. I think that to some extent we can say what kind of people arn't cachers. Those that tend to do nothing but sit inside, hate the outdoors (of any sort), do not like or can not stand computers or some combination of the above. There are probably some other points that can be given and I leave that up to those that follow. As in science we can use the null hypothesis (to some extent, sort of), if you are looking for this you ask the opposite question. Once you have that answer the other is implied (again sort of, testing coaches call this POI, process of elimination).

As for rehiding caches. I put caches back exactly as I find them. Of course the problem with this is that I have no idea if the person before me did the same. I think that this is the responsibility of the owner. I'll explain. I have one cache hidden so far. I take pride in the fact that it was well place (I believe, and have had one of the three people that have found it say so), is the type that will have to be replaced exactly as it was set, there really isn't any other way to do it (the only other option is to place it out in the open on the ground, obviously not correct). It is, somewhat, a challenge to find and just happens to be in a completely open field in the city.

I enjoy those that have a great deal of thought behind them. Eight million lightpole micros are just not fun. The only problem is that one never knows what type of cache it is until you've gone to it. One way that I've found that can be some help is that many cachers have a tendency to produce the same sort of hides. I can walk up to an area for some of the local cachers now and know exactly where the cache will be, and this is with only a small number of caches under my belt.

That, to me, is the fun in it. Deep in holly trees, lightpoles, park and bus stop benches, these get very boring.

So I am taking my time on the hiding side of it. My next is already planned, found easily enough, far more difficult to find. Security from muggles the biggest issue. It will be a medium cache (ammo can) in the middle of a city and, from the right angle, completely visible. The right angle being the key here. I'm hoping that it will be a challenge and will challenge those in the area to work very hard to come up with some new challenging caches.

Just my two cents worth....

I think I understand your frustration. I hide a lot of my caches deep into the woods, and I hide a few that could be considered park and grab caches. THe P&G see a lot of traffic while the wilderness caches might be found once or twice a year, but such is life. I came up with a term for this, "Goat Leg or left leg disease". This happens when you use your left leg to often while stepping out of the driverside of your car to find a cache. This disease can become "big butt" disease. The cure is to use less fossil fuel and more human fuel. By walking the body will find it's ballance. Even though folks don't like to find my wilderness cache, I still place them. My hope is that it will irritate them just enough so that they have to go after them.

I think that it is funny that a cacher can hide as many caches as they wish in an urban environment as long as they have permission and the caches are spaced .1 mile apart. Is that not an Urban Power Trail. What is wrong with a wilderness cacher doing the same? I would much rather save the gas, and take it out of my ... well rear end. Don't any of you get tired of driving around town finding these caches?

My advice to you is that you play the game the way you like it to be played. Have pride in that. Let the rest sort it out.

Nuwati

"What type of people are geocachers" is no more answerable than "What type of people are Germans" or "What type of people are Baptists".

I am the type of person who geocache's. I am the type of person who is German. I am also the type of person who is Baptist. :):rolleyes:;)

Hey, me too! Well, I'm part German anyway, and I do geocache. But I'm not Baptist. Does this mean I don't get to learn the secret handshake?

I agree with Nuwati.... I do all of my geocaching either on foot or by bicycle. Of course there are more reasons for this than my deep desire to help the environment and keep in shape, but that is for another time. This makes geocaching in the city interesting. The other thing that makes it interesting is hitting only a couple a day and then hitting those in different parts of the city so that you do more riding then looking. And if'n they hid them just a bit better it might take a bit more than stepping out of the car to find them...

I see no way to typecast the geocacher demographic, other than white. For whatever reason I see very few black and latino cachers...

I'm guessing if I had been stopped by police for being "suspicious" just because I fit the description and was driving my car in the wrong part of town... the last hobby on earth I'd want to try would be one that involved sneaking around by myself in the woods near jogging trails filled with nervous white people.

just a guess.

:rolleyes:

Cachers do not really respect the work, which you have, in working out and placing a cache. They even do not hide the cache any more well after having logged it. I saw that too in caches, which I visited from other people. They have all the time to go there and write into the log, but afterwards they go away quickly, without respecting the work, you have put into the cache.

True. Are you going to change human nature? I have tried to make sure that the caches that will not be carefully replaced are close to my home. If you come up with a better solution, I hope you will tell me.

One more example, which I experienced. A cache has been wet for some reason. Instead of spending the time to dry it (just laying into the sun for half an hour) people go away, calling for cache maintenance. I actually would even have more examples, but hink that this is enough for the time being.

Half an hour is a lot to ask, especially in Maine where you could be eaten alive by mosquitoes. Better to try to guard against wetness in the first place.

Edited by Kacky

Hey, me too! Well, I'm part German anyway, and I do geocache. But I'm not Baptist. Does this mean I don't get to learn the secret handshake?

No secret handshake for you! But if you'd like a copy of my grandmother's chicken-n-spaetzle recipe, I believe you fit the qualifications. :rolleyes:

(Why is it that every German recipe contains at least half a stick of butter, by the way?)

Personally, I'm two different kinds of geocacher, depending on who I'm caching with. If I'm out there with my hubby, we like to get out of the city and do a bit of hiking and exploration! Even if we only find one or two caches in a day, that's fine; the important thing to us is having some "together time" away from phones and email and the constant sound of traffic. *happysigh* And we take lots and lots of photos.

On the other hand, if I'm by myself or caching with good buddy PandaPhil, we don't have the option of wilderness caching. Neither of us drives, so we'll choose a section of town that we're not very familiar with, print out a batch of cache pages, and do a whoooooole lot of walking. :) We generally manage five or six caches in six or seven hours, and usually walk anywhere from three to five miles in the process. This is very important to me, as Phil has heart trouble and I want to make sure my old friend sticks around as long as possible... geocaching is a great way to wheedle him into getting a bunch of good exercise. (If he's reading this, he's probably going to hit me. ;) Honestly, though, I didn't know that last week's expedition was going to be THAT vertical, sheesh! Up First Hill, down First Hill... up First Hill, down First Hill...)

Not sure if this is what the original poster was looking for, but I think the answer is going to be -- as previous folks have said -- that geocachers are every sort of people, and some of them have more than one style of caching.

Again, I can only speak for myself and somewhat limited experience. I like to chach in bunches if possbile, and I always do my best to re-hide as I found it. I get a kick out of the lap post covers - heck, I'm new, but mostly I'll go for the forest caches b/c there tend to be more of them in a group, and I can hit 5-6 in an outing. I also like hiking in the woods. I hate spider webs and burrs, but I like hiking.

But that's me..

I think the problem here is you have high standards and you made the assumption that other cachers would have the same standards as you do.

Big mistake in any area of life. People are simply too diverse.

The challenge then will be maintaining the standards you wish *for yourself* and not getting too down as you witness many cachers (and other humans) don't share your standards.

Place a cache and someone may not even bother logging it online.

Place a travel bug and someone may shelve it for 6 months (or forever).

Spend days planning a killer cache idea and many folks who bother to log will just say "TFTC, TNLNSL" or worse yet criticise the cache for being too hard or complaining that they had to walk through some prickly weeds.

Pay a maintenance visit to your cache and maybe you can't find it because someone decided they knew better than you how to hide it.

Put 10 pens in your cache to make sure everyone can sign the log and find that all the pens were mistaken for trade items.

Cultivate a sense of humor regarding the antics of others, you will need it or you will burn out.

Thanks a lot for all your opinions and experiences. If my initial post sounded a bit frustrated, which some of the Posters seem to think, it is not like that. Also I did choose some aggressive words, to get aggressive answers. I love Geocaching for many of the reasons stated in all the posts. May be I still thought, that people, who choose a sport like this, that has to do alot with nature, are a bit different than the 'usual' mix of people. But as some of you state, this is not true and I guess, I understood that meanwhile.

Place a travel bug and someone may shelve it for 6 months (or forever).

Cultivate a sense of humor regarding the antics of others, you will need it or you will burn out.

Interesting. Yes I have a TB out there (one of my three), that quickly moved over to the US from the island. The TB is in the hands of someone since February. I already had some E-Mail conversation with him/her 6 weeks ago. He/She promised to place it quickly in a cache, still not shown up in a cache. And of course I will not burn out for just a little but very interesting game, which I am participating.

As far as the wet cache goes, the containers are supposed to be waterproof and it is the owner's responsibility to do maintenance. I don't really care to set a cache out for a half an hour for a couple of reasons:

1. I would like to move on to a new cache.

2. Where am I supposed to dry out the cache, in the area so muggles can find it.

3. What if another cacher is looking for the cache while it is being dried out, then they might log as the cache being missing.

4. It is a lot easier for the owner to print a new log sheet as it would be for me to wait an hour at the cache site.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't dry it out, in fact we have one in the area that was wet I was going to go place a new log sheet, but forgot. So its not always about being lazy or careless, sometimes its just about being forgetful.

Of course they are supposed to be waterproof, but what if a previous visitor did not close the box correctly? I personally would of course take the time and dry the cache. Today for example I will go out and do maintenance for a cache, which is not mine. The owner of the cache is currently in Italy and will not return before End of November. Surely the situation on an island is different than the situation for example in North Carolina or Minnesota.

Even though folks don't like to find my wilderness cache, I still place them. My hope is that it will irritate them just enough so that they have to go after them.

Nuwati

I totally agree with you. This is exactly, what I am doing. I have a mix of 'Drive-In' up to Terrain difficulty 5 caches, which take from 5 Minutes to a whole day and it is just very interesting to observe people, coming to the island for a caching holiday. There are many, who just make the many 'quick and easy' caches and others, who make fewer but more interesting and challenging ones.

I think the problem here is you have high standards and you made the assumption that other cachers would have the same standards as you do.

Thinking a bit more about this... Yes you are right. When I was still in Business (I am quite an old man), I had much more control about the standards and forcing people to adhere to them. So, this whole discussion already helped me alot to see it more relaxed from now on.

Something else to consider, when somone is coming to the island for a holiday they are likely with family or friends, who may not want to geocache on thier holiday. So, those that can be grabbed as they move between sights or on the way to dinner are more apt to have activity than those that are going to require extra time and effort. Maybe include some dinner coupons or a visit to a day spa to entice the visitors to take the time to visit your other caches.

Thinking a bit more about this... Yes you are right. When I was still in Business (I am quite an old man), I had much more control about the standards and forcing people to adhere to them. So, this whole discussion already helped me allot to see it more relaxed from now on.

From your original post, I was ready to go into full flame-on mode, because geocachers are my favorite subset of humanity. I'm glad your responses, so far, have departed from your OP and that most folks didn't take your statements as hard as I did.

As for what type of geocacher I am.....

I'm more of I hider than a finder as my find stats will show after 3 1/2 years of caching.

As a finder, I pick and CHOOSE carefully.

I look for two things in a cache hunt....

1. Relative coolness, meaning other finders mention it often at events, or can't shut up about it. Or the online logs are mostly thoughtful, excited, or verbose. These are signs that I'm almost assured a quality geocaching experience.

2. CONVENIENCE! I like to find caches on trips whether long or short. I like a quick grab-n-go or just slightly longer hunt to stretch my legs at these times and I plan extra time into a trip to accommodate caching.

As a hider I'm exactly the same, (Coolness or Convenience) but I tryyy to err on the side of coolness. I tryyy to hide caches that that generate verbose logs, because I found out early in my caching career how uplifting a good log on one of my caches can be.

The caches of mine that get the best logs are mostly remote, in beautiful surroundings, and rarely visited. That suites me just fine.

Having hosted 11 geocaching events (including CITOs) and attended nearly 70, "What type of people are Geocachers" from MY experience?

I was quoted in a non-geocaching magazine for saying something like this:

In a nutshell, we're an eclectic group of people who share a few common

traits that most of the general public doesn't have in like quantity.

Most geocachers are above average in intelligence. They are creative. They

generally have well paying jobs. They share a love of computer hardware,

gadgets, and the outdoors.

It doesn't seem so special written down, but go to an event and observe it

in action. The sense of community among geocachers is like family.

Try hosting an event on your island. Post it about 60-90 days in advance to get the best attendance. You will find that, because we share many of the same traits, geocachers are the same where ever you go.

Edited by Snoogans

Try hosting an event on your island. Post it about 60-90 days in advance to get the best attendance. You will find that, because we share many of the same traits, geocachers are the same where ever you go.

Good point and I have of course already thought about that, but still was hesitating, as there are currently no more than 4 or 5 active Geocachers, who live on the island. But with some visitors at the same time, it could then be a group of up to 10 or even more participants. And by the way, it is not that I do not know any Cachers personally. I already met quite a lot during last year. And the ones I met were all very decent people.

Frankly I am more woried about what kind of cacher I am. people will be what they are I have learned one thing that is that you cannot change them its kinda like that serenity prayer thing

Naaaa, it's more like herding cats.

There is no sense in trying to dictate to geocachers how they should participate properly. Common sense is hardly common across ANY subset of humanity. Any attempts to enforce conformity to a caching standard will be met with frustration. Yoda gives the best advice about this situation: Let go Luke.

:anicute::anicute: