ebay

johninvandergrift

I was hooked on ebay long before geocaching. Yes, I got my GPS'r from a vendor on ebay. There are a lot of geocoins available there too. I've read enough posts here to know that coins often dissapear after being placed. Should I or shouldn't I buy geocoins from ebay? Should I be concerned about ownership of these geocoins? I wanted to get some for FTF awards in caches I place. Thoughts? :rolleyes:

I think ebay(in my opinion) is a great place to buy older coins. The only problem is that they tend to go for a much higher price. I would only buy coins from people with higher rating (100+). And make sure that they state that they are Unactivated and Trackable. If they do not state this, there could be a good chance that the are coins that someone has removed from a cache.

Also - Communicate with the buyer. If a seller is not willing to communicate with you, I would be very carefull before buying.

You can find a lot of coin on ebay that you can not find else where. Once you get a small collection going, start trading with other geocoin collectors.

Have Fun!

I have purchased a fair number of coins off e-bay and have had one minor problem. I also know a lot of ebay sellers and the all work very hard to do a great job. You need to be alittle cautious but it is a good place to get coins that are otherwise not available.

Occassionally there are even bargins on ebay. I have purchased several coins there that went for less than the orginal sale price. But generally, it is best to purchase them from the orginal seller when they are first issued.

I think if you have trade items then you could look for people on here to trade with or some of the "coin trading" sites.

I have bought and sold geocoins on ebay and have yet to have a problem. I think the majority of the people who take the coins from the field are taking them for there personal collection rather than selling them. I think they would get caught that way??

I look on craigslist every now and again but I dont think geocoins have caught on there yet.

Anyways the best way is brand new with the links the cachers posted earlier.......

I have sold a few of my extra coins on ebay after trying to set up trades for them that diden't work out :anicute: Just to get funds into my paypal account to buy more coins. I did try to set up trades for them before I desided to list them on ebay,and will probaly keep doing the same as well if I can't trade them . :anicute:

I had one of my traveler coins end up on ebay. It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. But I have to admit there are legitimate sales on ebay for coins that are both current and the older hard to find ones.

For newest coins, I'd really suggest looking for the buy-it-now sales.

There are many collectors that post here and sale their extra coins on ebay. Since these are being sold by a legitimate source, they are an excellent chance to get that coin you just have to add to your collection.

A problem arises from people selling coins that were never meant to be sold. There are quite a few personal coins out there that were only meant for trading or geocache traveling. If you have any doubts as to which coins fall into the "shouldn't be sold" category, do a little bit of research here in the geocoin forums. Quite a few threads have popped up here where coin releasers have stated they don't want to see their coin sold. (I'm wondering now, how long before I'll be adding a database to my site's list of collections with that information.)

Most personal coins reflect the cacher's name, from there it would be quite easy to track them down on the site here and PM them about a questionable sale.

That's great information Jake, if only all cachers were that thoughtful. I hope some think about it after reading your post!

I sell (and buy) coins on the "e" place on a regular basis.

Never had any problems.

I do communicate with buyers and sellers if need be.

If I sell a personal coin I always ask the originator of the coin if they have a problem with it.

If so, I don't sell but try to trade.

I have even changed my "e" name to my caching name so buyers and seller know who they are dealing with.

The last coin I sold (yesterday) went for 10x what I payed for it.

I have no problem with that. (I bought some expensive coins myself on the "e" place too.)

It helps me to keep "building my collection" affordable.

I think it is a great medium to get coins that are hard to find / trade.

Edited by Twin Peaks

I am one of the people who sell on ebay - R3&BH does as well...

You can simply send a message to the seller and ask for their GC.com nick & they SHOULD give it to you... I simply try to be as honest & open with anyone who asks...

I sell my Getting There coin for $7.50 on eBay... I usually put on 5 at a time... I try to offer more out there if the bidding gets over $8 because that means they are wanted by more than 5 people. I'd rather just sell them HERE, but eBay is easier!

ok i have a question regarding reselling the coins on there. What if I get my coins, activate them (to get the icon) and then decide down the road that I am broke and I need to sell them. Is that a problem? Obviously you can transfer ownership but is that enough?

Jayman11

ok i have a question regarding reselling the coins on there. What if I get my coins, activate them (to get the icon) and then decide down the road that I am broke and I need to sell them. Is that a problem? Obviously you can transfer ownership but is that enough?

Jayman11

As the owner of the coin, and the one that activated it, you can initiate the transfer of ownership to someone that bought the coin off of you. Coins that were purchased from the creator usually don't have a stigma on them about reselling them. It's the coins that were only available for trade.

Of the coins that are only available through trade from the originator, they may or may not have an icon or be trackable. They still shouldn't be placed on for sale unless you have the express permission from the originator of the coin. Some originators went to the added expense to place tracking numbers an icons associated with their coins. Out of respect for their additional expendature, you should always contact them before re-selling those coins.

Coins that were placed for sale by the originator, usually have no limits on how many you can by. This may have been to promote traveling by cache, but generally doesn't place a no resale rule on the coins.

Once again, when in doubt contact the coin originator.

I was hooked on ebay long before geocaching. Yes, I got my GPS'r from a vendor on ebay. There are a lot of geocoins available there too. I've read enough posts here to know that coins often dissapear after being placed. Should I or shouldn't I buy geocoins from ebay? Should I be concerned about ownership of these geocoins? I wanted to get some for FTF awards in caches I place. Thoughts? B)

If you would like some coins at fixed prices, go HERE ....no bidding required.

I was hooked on ebay long before geocaching. Yes, I got my GPS'r from a vendor on ebay. There are a lot of geocoins available there too. I've read enough posts here to know that coins often dissapear after being placed. Should I or shouldn't I buy geocoins from ebay? Should I be concerned about ownership of these geocoins? I wanted to get some for FTF awards in caches I place. Thoughts? :)

If you would like some coins at fixed prices, go HERE ....no bidding required.

:):D I see my coin on that list :DB)

B)

Jayman11

That's enough. Just make sure the buyer knows it's been activated. Unactivated coins are worth more than activated coins. Maybe for some it's vice versa, but it does make a difference.

Hi! Just for the record, check geocoin stores before buying them off ebay, my/our coin is currently on sale on one of the geocoin stores and they are being sold on ebay for way more then they are being sold for in the geocoin store. I'm also up for trading if someone wants to offer I'll see if I'm open for trading.

Cache Agent

Hi! Just for the record, check geocoin stores before buying them off ebay, my/our coin is currently on sale on one of the geocoin stores and they are being sold on ebay for way more then they are being sold for in the geocoin store. I'm also up for trading if someone wants to offer I'll see if I'm open for trading.

Cache Agent

This is probably the biggest single reason I started the Geocoin-info.net site. I wanted to give people a listing of sites to check before jumping into an auction for a coin that is still being sold at a set price.

There's a sucker born every minute, but there could be a bigger gap of time if people did a little research before they buy.

Cache Agent

This is probably the biggest single reason I started the Geocoin-info.net site. I wanted to give people a listing of sites to check before jumping into an auction for a coin that is still being sold at a set price.

There's a sucker born every minute, but there could be a bigger gap of time if people did a little research before they buy.

Thanks a ton for this site. We just started collecting and it is exactly the info we need. Thanks!

as a person having alot of experance with this I'd say

1) i'd say that an activated coin would peobably go for alot less then the same coin un activated. i dont think i've ever came across a coin on ebay that was being sold as activated.

2) I've definatly found coins for cheeper on all the other web sites thos site has a list of all the places you can find them. http://www.geocoin-info.net/index.html Alot of the time coins on ebay turn into bidding wars just because 2 people with too much money both want it, and some coin thats worth $10 bucks goes for $100.

3) becareful of who you buy off. I was sold a stolen coin buy a not so respectible self proclaimed "great" caches.

him and his friend sold me a stolen coin, and I didnt find out till I tried to find the activation code. I was treated very poorly by them, and had to have ebay, paypall and the police involved. it turned into a huge hastle over some $3 coin.

if you want to know who not to buy from email me and i'll be glad to share my story.

CHECK THE SELLERS FEEDBACK BEFORE PLACING ANY BIDS

I have bought and sold a lot of coins on EBAY. I never had one that did not arrive and the only one I sold that did not arrive, JaredL bought. I replaced it, still do not know where it went... I bought a lot of activated coins on EBAY too, that were advertised that way and transferable by the owner. It is a good place to find coins that I do not have. Glen

We have bought several coins & a PDA on ebay without any problems. We never bother with bidding & only buy with the buy now option. We have set up an RSS favourite page so I can look att all of the new buy now coins. To show what a small world it is, we live in Australia we just bought a coin on ebay for whom the vendor is the brother of another cacher that we know in kansas.