Requesting 'Description Help' for existing category

Recently the "Official Local Tourism Locations" category passed Peer Review.

And one of the major sticking points for us during creation was How to identify if the location is an "Official Tourism Location" or not.

We tried looking for some template of how each city operates its local tourism website, but that didn't work.

It might sound strange... but we know what we want, we just don't know how to express it. It's kinda like we know what would make a good entry, but we need to put it into words so there is no confusion about expectations.

The general idea was to create a category for locals to build a list of things that tourists would visit if they came to town. If you went on a trip, you could look at the list and make your own vacation plans of what to see, where to get info and how long each item should take to visit.

Does anyone have a suggestion how we can improve our description to make it easy to know what belongs in it and what doesn't? I've turned off the "List in Directory" settings for the time being, hoping to get some feedback.

If this works, you can see the category at Official Local Tourism Locations

Please post any improvement suggestions in this thread.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Hmmm.. after mulling over the "Category" I came to the conclusion I might have to start all over again logging about every "Waymark" I submitted so far.

I think it would be easier if I "Waymarked" the city or town and added all the 'Waymark Links" to the attractions I have already submitted that are located within their bounderies. ;)

Is there no end to this "Game"? :rolleyes:

I can't see the category, but from what I remember the requirement was something like the site has to be listed on the location's official tourism site. A lot of those sites (such as chambers of commerce and convention and visitors bureaus) just list advertisers.

Maybe the waymark should be listed in, and referenced, to a guide book. Like AAA, Mobil, Michelin, Fodor's, Frommers, Lonley Planet, Time Out, Let's Go, Rough Guide, Moon Handbooks or a plethora of others (i.e. 'This place was mentioned in:__________').

I don't know if that will help you get what you're after or not. Too bad we don't have bookmark lists (yet).

...Paragraphs deleted...

Does anyone have a suggestion how we can improve our description to make it easy to know what belongs in it and what doesn't? I've turned off the "List in Directory" settings for the time being, hoping to get some feedback.

If this works, you can see the category at Official Local Tourism Locations

Please post any improvement suggestions in this thread.

B) The Blue Quasar

Is it still "Turned Off"? I just saw it in the Entertainment group. Maybe 2.0 turned it back on?

I've been thinking about this and still haven't come up with a solution. So many different people want to do/see so many different things. That's why we have so many different cats. I just checked on some of the smaller towns in my area and many of them don't have a web page. Some items in those towns are listed on local tourism web pages and in flyers that you pick up locally. But local tourism webs and flyers are paid for by sponsors (advertisers) so it is weighted in their favor. So many golf courses, hotels, private campgrounds, resturaunts, and other businesses are listed that you might miss that ONE item that you would use a vacation day to see. Or it wasn't included because it wasn't as "important" in their eyes. I did notice that there was a section for historic places/events on most of the sites. I was surprised that two items in two towns that I thought about for this Cat were both listed. And neither of them were historic items.

I had the same idea as Jake39, as far as re-Waymarking everything. But that's not the proper solution either. And I know Jake39 wasn't serious.

When it comes to tourism, everyone wants a share of the tourists money. They'll list anything that might bring in the cash. If they have nothing better, then it's " Come see the two-story outhouse - it is here!" (yes, it does exist, with a geocache next to it.)(No, it's not on the National historic places list.)

These were my thoughts, but I have no solution. What you have is the best that I could think of.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by 8Nuts&MotherGoose