gpsmap60csx bearing 30° variation when holding not on level

freeday

my calibrated compass (from the csx) is on bearing of a direction sometimes 30° of the course

i hold it towards right or left, and there is still no warning-message

But how is it possible to hold it on level outside.

offset of bearing is often 5-15° (sometime 30° to one side, so from left to right it is an area of 60°)

The WARNING MESSAGE should be more precisely.

The eXplorist 600 has a much better compass.

Suunto has a small spirit-level to be right.

The CSX would also need such a spirit-level.

ANY TRICKS to get a good bearing?

Edited by freeday

my calibrated compass (from the csx) is on bearing of a direction sometimes 30° of the course

i hold it towards right or left, and there is still no warning-message

But how is it possible to hold it on level outside.

offset of bearing is often 5-15° (sometime 30° to one side, so from left to right it is an area of 60°)

The WARNING MESSAGE should be more precisely.

The eXplorist 600 has a much better compass.

Suunto has a small spirit-level to be right.

The CSX would also need such a spirit-level.

ANY TRICKS to get a good bearing?

I agree that the 60CSx should include a spirit or bubble-type level indicator for the compass.

One thought I had while reading your post is to try and "steal" a spirit level from an old tool that you could carry in your pocket and then set on the screen when using the compass to get a bearing. Low tech, but cheap and probably effective.

Rockler.com has a 5" level with shirt pocket clip and two screw driver tips for $5 if you want to go fancy.

I agree that the 60CSx should include a spirit or bubble-type level indicator

That would take up as much or more space as an actual compass, which would probably be more accurate than the electronic one in the CSx model, definitely cheaper.

I don't quite understand - I have a bubble level on the stock of my electric drill that is the size of a shirt button. There is one on my camera tripod that is even smaller. Both work great at their intended purpose and probably cost a few cents each.

The compass on my 60csx works just fine, better than the receiver actually. The compass bearing is spot on, it's the distance measurement that is way off.

If I just used my GPS for geocaching, I would not spend the money for the electronic compass. In five years of occassional geocaching I have never had the need for a compass, electronic or otherwise. I use my GPS for a lot more than geocaching and find the electronic compass quite handy. Irregardless of whether you *need* the compass built into the GPS, if being level is important to performance, then a better visual indication of plumb would be a valuable upgrade (and probably pretty cheap, too).

I agree that the 60CSx should include a spirit or bubble-type level indicator

That would take up as much or more space as an actual compass, which would probably be more accurate than the electronic one in the CSx model, definitely cheaper.

I don't quite understand - I have a bubble level on the stock of my electric drill that is the size of a shirt button. There is one on my camera tripod that is even smaller. Both work great at their intended purpose and probably cost a few cents each.

The compass on my 60csx works just fine, better than the receiver actually. The compass bearing is spot on, it's the distance measurement that is way off.

If I just used my GPS for geocaching, I would not spend the money for the electronic compass. In five years of occassional geocaching I have never had the need for a compass, electronic or otherwise. I use my GPS for a lot more than geocaching and find the electronic compass quite handy. Irregardless of whether you *need* the compass built into the GPS, if being level is important to performance, then a better visual indication of plumb would be a valuable upgrade (and probably pretty cheap, too).

My point is that the electronic compass is no more accurate than a small conventional compass. Instead of putting a bubble level on the GPS to keep the electronic compass semi-accurate, it would be less expensive and more accurate to just put a conventional compass there (take up as much room, too).

My point is that the electronic compass is no more accurate than a small conventional compass. Instead of putting a bubble level on the GPS to keep the electronic compass semi-accurate, it would be less expensive and more accurate to just put a conventional compass there (take up as much room, too).

The advantage to an electronic compass is that the GPS can communicate with it, and use it to automatically set the arrow at the right bearing. It also allows the unit to do such things as to automatically orient the map in the correct direction.

The advantage to an electronic compass is that the GPS can communicate with it, and use it to automatically set the arrow at the right bearing. It also allows the unit to do such things as to automatically orient the map in the correct direction.

Correctly - thats is the reason why i would prefer the electronic compass of the 60csx.

But it works only exactly in horizontal position.

And a horizontal position is not easy outside.

For "sight'n go" an external compass using the electronic map would be a misery.

Correctly - thats is the reason why i would prefer the electronic compass of the 60csx.

But it works only exactly in horizontal position.

And a horizontal position is not easy outside.

For "sight'n go" an external compass using the electronic map would be a misery.

I agree with you on both points - the built in compass is a valuable feature, especially when you are using the GPS in conjunction with a paper map. I also agree that the compass is hard to use in the field because it must be level and that is hard to gauge "by eye." Whether it is a bubble level or the electronic equivalent Garmin could upgrade the unit by providing a better guide to help the user keep the unit level.

Perhaps in a future software update ...