New geocacher looking for a GPS to buy

Hey everyone,

I am new to the geocaching game (5 found so far) and I have been looking for a good handheld gps system. A few of the people I went geocaching with a few weeks ago have suggested for me to buy an eTrex Vista unit. I have been reading a lot about the eTrex Vista, and all of it's great features including the electronic compass and altimeter, but I have also read quite a few posts that the reception is poor because it uses a patch antenna (please correct me if this is wrong). I have also read a few user's reviews that a quad-helix antenna would get better reception in heavily wooded areas.

For what it's worth, I live in florida and as you all know there aren't many hills or mountains where I'm at, but some heavily wooded areas (which is why im concerned about reception on the gps unit).

So I have been looking on the Garmin website for GPS units with a quad-helix antenna, and reading the forum comments to get a feel of what people would suggest. A lot of people seem to be sold here on the GPSMap 60CSx, and I would love to have one of those units, but I honestly can't see myself dishing out $400 for a state of the art GPS unit (I know, you all can call me cheap). This has lead me to looking into the GPSMap 60Cs.

I realize that the GPSMap 60CS has been discontinued, but I can still find some brand new units for sale, which I have found for around $250. I heard it has some unique features built into the software especially for geocaching. But what I am really looking for is satellite reception. The last thing I need while out in the woods is for my GPS unit to lose signal, then I will be really "up the creek without a paddle".

So, fellow geocachers, I realize this is a long-winded message but what do you think I should do? Get an eTrex Vista (perhaps users of this unit haven't had the reception problems), or try to buy a GPSMap 60cs, or really burn my wallet and get a GPSMap 60CSx?

Thanks!

Edit - I mean the black and White Vista. Not the C or CX models. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by steedaq155

Which Vista are you talking about? The B&W unit, the Vista-C or the Vista-Cx ?????

90 percent of finding geocaches isn't about the unit but about the skills of the finder. Any unit will get you to the geocache but won't help you find it.

Okay with that out of the way....

The 60CSx comes with the SIRFIII chip which will keep a lock in deep woods better than the 60Cs which doesn't come with it. And of course, the 60cs doesn't have SD card capability although that's a non-factor unless you are planning to buy and load up tons of mapping.

If you are talking about the Vista B&W - get the 60cs.

If you are talking about the Vista-C - get the 60cs as long as the price isn't that much more. The display of the 60 is larger than the Vista-C as is the unit. All of Garmin color units come with a geocaching mode including the color Etrex units.

If you are talking about the Vista-Cx - then it depends if having a micro SD card is worth it.

As far as the quad-helix antenna being better, it's a slight push with them being better in the woods with the exception of the 60CSx (SIRF technology) which is superior. Away from deep woods, all GPS units are equally as accurate, even the lowest priced ones will be within 15 feet accuracy. Quad Helix antennas work best with the unit being held in a veritical position while patch antennas work best in the horizontal position.

Another Garmin GPS units to consider that have the Quad-Helix antenna is the Garmin 76 series.

Which Vista are you talking about? The B&W unit, the Vista-C or the Vista-Cx ?????

90 percent of finding geocaches isn't about the unit but about the skills of the finder. Any unit will get you to the geocache but won't help you find it.

Okay with that out of the way....

The 60CSx comes with the SIRFIII chip which will keep a lock in deep woods better than the 60Cs which doesn't come with it. And of course, the 60cs doesn't have SD card capability although that's a non-factor unless you are planning to buy and load up tons of mapping.

If you are talking about the Vista B&W - get the 60cs.

If you are talking about the Vista-C - get the 60cs as long as the price isn't that much more. The display of the 60 is larger than the Vista-C as is the unit. All of Garmin color units come with a geocaching mode including the color Etrex units.

If you are talking about the Vista-Cx - then it depends if having a micro SD card is worth it.

As far as the quad-helix antenna being better, it's a slight push with them being better in the woods with the exception of the 60CSx (SIRF technology) which is superior. Away from deep woods, all GPS units are equally as accurate, even the lowest priced ones will be within 15 feet accuracy. Quad Helix antennas work best with the unit being held in a veritical position while patch antennas work best in the horizontal position.

Another Garmin GPS units to consider that have the Quad-Helix antenna is the Garmin 76 series.

Thanks for your informative response. Is the SIRF chip worth the extra $150 investment? I forgot to mention this earlier, but I would really like to buy a unit that I could use for years.

I used a 60CS for over a year. Then bought a 60CSx when they came out.. I have yet to lose satellites in the woods. One of the first caching trips with it, my son had the old 60CS and was always losing satelllites while the 60CSx didn't. To me it is worth the extra money. The micro-SD card is just a bonus. If you can afford it, go for it. Better than wishing you did.

Just went through your thought process. I Started looking for a very cheap unit like a used yellow ETREX. When caching with a friend his unit pointed in the direction we need to go.... 20 miles away in the country so which raod to take. Now I wanted auto routing. I started looking for a used Legend but didn't find any used in my area. Found a new legend C (which is discontinued) at a good price and went ot buy it. Store also had a 60cx demo for $50 off plus another $50 rebate. So for very little more (after rebate and discount) I got a new model that had the SIRF, the quad ant and will be supported for a long time. The Legend C is patch ant and is discontinued so support will be declining fast.

As for the reception, have not yet lost signals even in a wet forest.

I chose to buy once and not have to upgrade soon.

GPS Derek,

Sounds like you got a great deal. I would have done the same given the circumstances....

However....

The 60CS does not have the new SIRF chip in it. Only the 60 & 76 series X series (the ones that take a SD chip) have the new SIRF technology. And the 60CS is also discontinued, like the Legend-C is.

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html#mapping

However Garmin has a good record of supporting handhelds that are no longer manufactured. You shouldn't have to worry about that.

But you did get a great deal which I would have taken also. The 60CS is still a wonderful unit with better reception than the Legend-C in denser environments.