Modified TSD V2 geocoin.

Team Sand Dollar

I really liked the way the TSD V2 coin came out and was thinking about making a trackable version of it. Assumming I leave the front untouched how much of a modification would be needed to make it a different coin. Since the original coin was trade only and the new one would also be for sale I did not want to take away from the percieved value of the original.

Would a complete redesign of the back be needed, a partial redesign, or just remove the date and add the Trackable at Geocaching.com be suficient.

Thanks

Team Sand Dollar

I really liked the way the TSD V2 coin came out and was thinking about making a trackable version of it. Assumming I leave the front untouched how much of a modification would be needed to make it a different coin. Since the original coin was trade only and the new one would also be for sale I did not want to take away from the percieved value of the original.

Would a complete redesign of the back be needed, a partial redesign, or just remove the date and add the Trackable at Geocaching.com be suficient.

Thanks

Team Sand Dollar

Well in my opinion since it is a custom shape I would say there isn't anything you could do to distinguish the difference between a trackable and a non-trackable other than do a totally differant coin design. Personally I don't think you should add to the confusion of reusing the same design and having two different versions.

If you insist on doing it this way you have almost limited yourself to the metal type since the first time around you used most of the metal types available. You could do an antique bronze only and make it trackable. By doing only one metal type that may offset the confusion since the only trackable Ver. 2 would be one metal type.

Well, since it is YOUR coin, I say make what YOU want, and let each potential buyer take it or leave it, as the case may be

That said, I think that people will like the concept and unique shape, and that such a coin will sell very well

If you are looking for an easy way to make the "same" coin, but want a way to distinguish it from the first version, howzabout making it a different size - for example, if V1 is 38mm (1.5in), make V2 44mm (1.75in)

Edited by Bhob

Well, since it is YOUR coin, I say make what YOU want, and let each potential buyer take it or leave it, as the case may be

That said, I think that people will like the concept and unique shape, and that such a coin will sell very well

If you are looking for an easy way to make the "same" coin, but want a way to distinguish it from the first version, howzabout making it a different size - for example, if V1 is 38mm (1.5in), make V2 44mm (1.75in)

or two inches. That would be some coin.

or two inches. That would be some coin.

Different sizes would require new dies, if you are going to pay for dies you might as well do a new coin.

Well, I'm pretty sure that if they undertake a new size, then TSD might as well design a totally new/different coin. A major consideration in re-using the existing size/design would be to avoid the 3-D design & Die fees as well as the iterations maybe required to make it come out clean.

What about making the trackable version have some specific metal highlighting? Like silver for the base of the coin and gold highlights around the 'holes'. The back should certainly be redesigned in any case. There you could do the metal highlighting.

If you did not want to redesign any side and reuse both dies you could have the trackable at and the number put on the edge of the coin.

To make them different than V1 do them in a different metal and maybe make them hard enamel or some other kind of special effect. (glow or sparkle, although those things really may not go with the design.)

As has been stated the front 3D design was a pain to get right and that is why I thought of staying with it.

I was planning on a new die for the back so this would in fact be different coin easily identifiable. I would also use different metals sush as bronze, frosted Gold, and/or forsted Silver again to easily identify the difference.

I thought of doing a remake since I had feedback on wishing it was a trackable coin. At this time I am only looking for feedback.

Team Sand Dollar

I loved that coin & I was disappointed that it wasn't trackable. Why hide it away in a binder. I'd rather get it out where others, lots of others can see it & enjoy it! I don't buy non-trackables. I had never done a trade before getting this coin. I think I would have traded a unit of blood for this one. I'm glad I did too! It was even more beautiful in person. I'd love to see it released as a trackable! I think it's important to keep as much of the essence of what made it special in the first place. A great idea was to make it bigger. But, I would keep it as close to the original as possible! And, please sell it this time. Those of us who are new to collecting these coins don't have anything to trade. Please, please do this! :rolleyes:

Based on the little input I got on this one was the only thing really needed was to make it distinguishable from the original and changing the metal type was what was needed.

My thoughts now would be to only remove the date and replace it with the "Trackable at Geocaching.com". and then have the coin produced in a frosted Gold, frosted Silver, and/or bronze.

Is there much interested in my doing this modified V2 coin.

Team Sand Dollar

The Team Sand Dollar V2 coins were my first ever trade and will always be one of my favorite coins. But not having my own personal coin to trade, I was lucky, because I had just ebayed a few coins on his want list.

These are truly awesome coins! I do not believe you will have any problems selling the quantity you need to make to get the tracking number. Resist the urge to mint much more than that and you will ensure continued value for both trackable and un-trackable coins.

B)B)

Looks like I will be going Foward with a Trackable Team Sand Dollar V2 geocoin. At this point only the back side will be slightly modified to remove the data and add the Trackable at. I plan on having them made in Misty/Frosty Gold, Misty/Frosty Silver and or Bronze.

Before I go any further I really want to know how much interest there will be in this coin if it is sold for $8 plus shipping.

As always I will also trade some of these.

Team Sand Dollar

Looks like I will be going Foward with a Trackable Team Sand Dollar V2 geocoin. At this point only the back side will be slightly modified to remove the data and add the Trackable at. I plan on having them made in Misty/Frosty Gold, Misty/Frosty Silver and or Bronze.

Before I go any further I really want to know how much interest there will be in this coin if it is sold for $8 plus shipping.

Team Sand Dollar

I would definitely want to trade. might I suggest new thread to guage the demand.

Team Sand Dollar

:D Hello there TSD: I am a lucky owner of your V2 coins. I would love to buy/trade at least one set of these coins most likely two. (If this helps with your decision, send me an invoice for the 2 sets :D, either two or three metals!)

:D:D