Handicaching on GUK

The guys at GUK have just made another enhancement to the site.

You can now with the help of the GUK site set up a basic handicaching rating for all the caches you own.

Ive just done all of mine in about 5 minutes.

You can of course still enhance this by going to the handicaching site to add more detail but ive gone from two rated caches to 12 in a matter of minutes.

Thanks guys another good addition.

You can of course still enhance this by going to the handicaching site to add more detail

You can actually do it all on G:UK - click the "Comments" button and, as if by magic, a text box for adding a full description of the cache will appear. The only thing you can't do is choose a different name for yourself, as this is automatically filled in with your G:UK login name.

Started to fill them in on the Hanicaching site, but lapsed...

This way makes it SO much easier!

Slowly working our way through the caches we've visited.

(Any way of putting more that 2 up at a time on the page? If you have a caching "numbers" session, it seems to take ages to go through the Handicaching descriptions 2 at a time...)

G

Started to fill them in on the Hanicaching site, but lapsed...

This way makes it SO much easier!

Slowly working our way through the caches we've visited.

(Any way of putting more that 2 up at a time on the page? If you have a caching "numbers" session, it seems to take ages to go through the Handicaching descriptions 2 at a time...)

G

2 at a time is a bit mean, I'd agree about it being increased if possible

[2 at a time is a bit mean, I'd agree about it being increased if possible

I didn't want to pester people too much on the MyStats page (and I've added an option in the preferences page for people who don't want to be pestered at all -- I know handicaching ratings aren't to everyone's taste). That's why I added a "click here for more details" link to a screen which shows 5 at a time. I could change that default 5 to a higher number, or if you wish you can modify the URL to get more -- eg...

http://stats.geocacheuk.com/mystats/handirate.php?limit=20

... will give you twenty caches per page.

[2 at a time is a bit mean, I'd agree about it being increased if possible

I didn't want to pester people too much on the MyStats page (and I've added an option in the preferences page for people who don't want to be pestered at all -- I know handicaching ratings aren't to everyone's taste). That's why I added a "click here for more details" link to a screen which shows 5 at a time. I could change that default 5 to a higher number, or if you wish you can modify the URL to get more -- eg...

http://stats.geocacheuk.com/mystats/handirate.php?limit=20

... will give you twenty caches per page.

I'm a little confused as this shows ALL my caches as unrated whereas I have already rated the disabled one on the Handicache website. Can't this be amended to only show 1) only those marked as wheelchair acessible in the attributes and 2) those that have not alteady been rated on Handicache website. Having to rate them twice makes no snse.

Can't this be amended to only show 1) only those marked as wheelchair acessible in the attributes and 2) those that have not alteady been rated on Handicache website. Having to rate them twice makes no snse.

It's not just wheelchair access for disabled, it can mean that the cacher can't walk too far.

Surely the more people that rate a cache, the better the averaged rating, which will give a clearer picture of any difficulties the cache poses?

G

(If you mean you've already rated the cache, and the site is asking you to rate it again -maybe thats a bug that needs to be fixed?!)

I'm a little confused as this shows ALL my caches as unrated whereas I have already rated the disabled one on the Handicache website. Can't this be amended to only show 1) only those marked as wheelchair acessible in the attributes

I don't know the ins and outs of this system, but I would of thought it would help to rate ALL caches, even if only to mark it as inaccessible.

and 2) those that have not alteady been rated on Handicache website. Having to rate them twice makes no snse.

again don't know the whole system, but as GeocacheUK is a seperate website to handicaching.com it can't know if you have already rated the cache elsewhere. It can however keep a track of ratings submitted via G:UK, and therefore once rated there it will not show again.

... combineing those two points it could also stop asking G:UK users to rate a particular cache once it gets a certain amount of consistant ratings, however as its a very quick process to add the rating dont really see the point....

Yes, people who are already users of handicaching.com will be presented with the cache again on G:UK. There's no way to avoid this, mainly because there's no real login system on HC.com (just an optional text field for name), however there's the "Remove" button on G:UK which allows people to remove from the list caches which they've already rated directly on HC.com.

This probably won't affect too many people as, sadly, the remoteness of handicaching.com from geocaching.com means that not many people actually rate their caches. In the first two days, G:UK users have added 1000 ratings to Handicaching.com -- compared with only 3000 worldwide ratings in the first two years of that site! B)

The majority of ratings will not include additional text comments. However the comments are probably more useful in many cases than the star ratings themselves. For this reason, as well as the averaging point above, I will continue the policy of seeking ratings for all caches a user has found, regardless of whether someone else has rated that cache.

I may add an option to the preferences to restrict the list to only those caches found in the last n days. Personally I find it hard to remember whether a cache I did 2 years ago had a kerb! B)

I may add an option to the preferences to restrict the list to only those caches found in the last n days. Personally I find it hard to remember whether a cache I did 2 years ago had a kerb! :)

Yes please!

Having done 300+ caches in 12 months, it does get a bit difficult to remember which cache had a stile to cross, and if we went the recommended route to the cache :) !

But it's an excellent way to "Do our bit", the fact "we" (GUK cachers) have added 30% to the rated caches in TWO days, well done! B)