Winter Caching

jimjax

I know I am a newbie to geocaching..... but is there different criteria for winter caching? I would prefer to look for cache that are in trees or some how above ground. I don't think that my gps is accurate enough for the under the snow stuff (I could be digging for days <_< ). Living in Northern Minnesota, the snow is expected sometime this week. <_< Let me know what you think. Thx JimJax and the 3 dogs.

First of all, welcome to the game, Jim!

I think you'll find that caching in the winter has its own challenges as well as rewards. Your GPS will probably function better since the leaves are all gone and there's no tree cover.

You might even prefer the lack of bugs and spider webs. :anibad:

I know snowfall in Northern Minnesota is going to be quite a bit different from what we expect down here in Illinois, but if you're already used to life in the outdoors up there, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

I wrote this article a couple years ago. You might want to check it out for a few tips:

Caching Through The Snow

Bret

I think you'll find that caching in the winter has its own challenges as well as rewards. Your GPS will probably function better since the leaves are all gone and there's no tree cover.

I know snowfall in Northern Minnesota is going to be quite a bit different from what we expect down here in Illinois, but if you're already used to life in the outdoors up there, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

I wrote this article a couple years ago. You might want to check it out for a few tips:

Caching Through The Snow

Bret

This will be my first winter geocaching too! I am looking forward to it!

Thanks for the link to the article. I am heading off to read it now!

Caching Through The Snow

Bret

Bret:

Thanks for the article! You have renewed my hopes of feeding my new addiction. We have snow expected later this week and I can hardly wait until the weekend for the challenge.

Jim

Hi JimJax -

Usually if the cache hider feels the cache can be found in the winter they'll mark it with the winter friendly attribute (the snowflake). Sometimes though a cache that can be found in the winter will have a totally different way to get to it (longer hike, snowmobile, etc). Winter friendly caches are typically above ground level although they could still be under a little snow too.

Normally, as you can imaging, finding a cache under 3 feet of snow is pretty hard.

- Pear Head, Duluth

http://www.MnGCA.org

I would rather cache in the snow, i hate the heat and weeds

Ditto that for me too.

That winter attribute is very subjective. I have seen no definition. To me it could be whether the park is open in the winter months, or if the cache is high above ground, and not likely to be hidden under a foot of snow. Definately not a time to be hunting micros in the woods.

Another vote for a nice winter caching article. I see Mr. Cybret is one away from 1800 finds. Do we suspect some snow caching at the end of the week for you!? :rolleyes:

Brad

Another vote for a nice winter caching article. I see Mr. Cybret is one away from 1800 finds. Do we suspect some snow caching at the end of the week for you!? ;)

Brad

Nope

It was a nice warm fall day, actually! :)

As much as I hate the snow I'm looking forward to winter caching too. No bugs, better tree cover.

Of course, winter caching does have its share of dangers.

ad568f40-8607-4419-b767-1ae396ceb798.jpg

:rolleyes:

Bret

I do have a suggestion for winter caching - steel toed boots.

Not a good idea if it gets really cold. With less insulation and a STEEL plate, you will get frostbite a whole lot faster on the toes than non-steel toed boots. They're your feet, do what you want, but I like having all of my toes, and pink(not black)! :anicute:

Not a good idea if it gets really cold. With less insulation and a STEEL plate, you will get frostbite a whole lot faster on the toes than non-steel toed boots. They're your feet, do what you want, but I like having all of my toes, and pink(not black)! :unsure:

Polar Fleece or Wool socks are good, but I've never had a problem. If you keep moving enough, usually you'll build up a bit of body heat hiking to the location so frozen toes aren't an issue.

Edited by P3nGu1N

A big enough snow can hide anything, but if you find it despite the snow you can feel twice as great.

I do a one question I'd like to ask and I don't want to start a thread for it,

how do disposable cameras hold up in caches during the winter? I have one out and I'm wondering if I should pull it during the winter or leave it in, I would hate to lose a single picture it might have.

I've never known there to be a problem with a disposable camera left out over winter. You might want to check the instructions on the side of the camera, though. I'm sure if there's a problem they would mention it there.

What you do have to be careful of is pens freezing and exploding, or simply not working at all in the winter. That's one reason to put pencils in your caches instead of pens.

Bret

Don't forget, on the weekends, you are almost guaranteed a find...just follow all the other cachers footprints, they usually go right to the cache!

Brad pointed out to me that I have NEVER found a cache in the month of December. (I HATE COLD & SNOW!) Looks like I may have a new challange for myself!

I've never known there to be a problem with a disposable camera left out over winter. You might want to check the instructions on the side of the camera, though. I'm sure if there's a problem they would mention it there.

What you do have to be careful of is pens freezing and exploding, or simply not working at all in the winter. That's one reason to put pencils in your caches instead of pens.

Bret

I prefer pens but I know they freeze from loooong experience, I went out last weekend and replaced the pen with a mechanical pencil, no need to sharpen. Forgot to leave extra lead though, but what it has should last through many signings anyway.

Picked up some quality SWAG for my two new caches, one location is firm, I'm still scouting around for the perfect spot for the second. Nay wait to list them until my birthday, November 18. That just may be cool. :P

Don't forget, on the weekends, you are almost guaranteed a find...just follow all the other cachers footprints, they usually go right to the cache!

Brad pointed out to me that I have NEVER found a cache in the month of December. (I HATE COLD & SNOW!) Looks like I may have a new challange for myself!

Long range forcast for this winter is warmer than normal, could be your year. :P:)

The other side of this is if you're hiding caches (or have a cache you hid during the summer that people have said the coordinates are off) winter is the perfect time to get much better accuracy for cache coordinates.

2qwerqE, very nice photo, but you're killing me posting it this close to deer season. :)

I find hiding in the winter to be the challenge. Especially when you want the FTF chase to be worth it. I've added a considerable hike to a cache I placed in winter, just so I wouldn't leave tracks right up to the cache.

We did our first winter caching last year. When I was 9 months pregnant with Ali Kat, darn Coin Quests!! But I figure if I (who am always cold, believe it's not warm until it's well into the 80s, and was about to pop out a kid can go caching in the snow) ANYONE CAN!! And the GPSr recpetion is AMAZING in the winter, also a good time to grab caches that some sick people put near swamps....there's no bypassing the marsh in the winter...

Winter caching has both positive and negitive factors. On the positive side, few muggler problems to report, snow can be your friend as footprints can be more help then any clue given.. The swaming bug factor is gone. Like other cachers have said, the umbrella of leaves are not a factor with your GPS, making locating the place easier On the negitive side, long wet walks can be almost not do able. Snow can make for good cammo, but so can leaves and overgrowth. But the biggest factor has to be the cold, a nice 2 mile walk on a 70 degree day would be crazy with a -20 degree wind blowing by your nose. Best advice, read the posting and logs, choose your caches wisely and winter caching is a lot of fun. Those caches that seem wild for the winter will be waiting for you on that 1st spring day.