Ultimate Tool (for caching+)

I've found that your brain is about the best tool you've got!

Unfortunately not all brains are created equal! :P:)

As has been said before you shouldn't put yourself in a possition that depends on technology but at the same time there are occasions that require it. Not many of us could free dive to 100 feet so having a scuba tank and regulator is required for most people -- fair to say you GOT to depend on it. Maybe that's why I'm not a scuba diver! OTOH, anytime you drive your car you depend on your brakes -- can't stop without them!

Brian

I may be in the minority but when I buy a cell phone that is all I want it to do, make and receive phone calls. My PDA is just a PDA, doesn’t take pictures or play videos. My MP3 player just plays music, doesn’t play videos or store pictures and my digital camera only takes pictures (well okay it could do a few minutes of video buy I have never used it for that).

I'll join you in the minority. There are times I use my PDA when I don't want my GPSr, or use my camera when I'm not caching. So why should I have one bigger, heavier unit when the smaller, lighter indivual items are carried at different times? But if that's what YOU want... Besides, it's easier to talk the wife into four $200 items (spread out over time) than one $800 item.

Once again, nobodies forcing you to sell your seperate devices and requiring you to buy my device -- to each his own.

I pointed out that the makers of cell phones are incorporating more features every year and the PDA folks are doing the same. You may not want these additional features but many do. The subway (Tube) bombing in England last year was photographed and video'd by passengers with, you guessed it, cell phones. Many people that have been in car accidents have taken pictures of the accident with, that's right, there cell phone. A good number of criminals have been apprehended because a passer by snapped there picture with -- wait for it -- there cell phone. I've seen people in stores like Fry's use there cell phone to take pictures of products and the prices and features for it so they can compare.

I've had a camera phone for over three years and have taken at most 20 pictures with it so I'm not all that worked up about having that feature but if it didn't effect the cost much why not have it on the chance it might prove useful. Most of the newer point-and-shoot digital cameras will also take pretty decent video and almost none of the new ones are picture only so you don't have much choice here, but even if you don't plan to use it for video it's nice to know it's there. It's a fact that the additional cost and weight of these features is pretty minimal as most of the feature is the programming of the uP anyway and that doesn't add any weight and very little price if the unit volume is high enough.

Brian

Like I said, if that's what you want...

I was just expressing why I don't want something like that. From what I've seen, those extra features aren't as good as a dedicated device - my camera does take video shots, max of 30 seconds, I can't zoom while shooting, and it's a "pain" to switch back and forth.

I was just expressing why I don't want something like that. From what I've seen, those extra features aren't as good as a dedicated device - my camera does take video shots, max of 30 seconds, I can't zoom while shooting, and it's a "pain" to switch back and forth.

Well I certainly wouldn't expect the built in camera to match the FF sensor of my Canon 1Ds Mark II DSLR and have no intentions of selling my DSLR and lenses if I had the device I've been talking about. On the other hand there are situations that aren't well suited to carrying a large DSLR and f/2.8 lens and in those situations the less capable but much smaller P&S digitals are a better choice. A camera like the Canon SD700 IS or SD800 IS is pocket sized, has 6MP or 7MP, can shoot pretty decent video and can be taken places my 1Ds Mark II can not.

Similarly, having a camera in a cell phone or PDA may provide you an opertunity to capture shots you couldn't with the DSLR when it's not with you. Just last night an A-10 dropped a flair into a north Las Vegas neighborhood by accident and the only pictures of it were from a few teens with, need I say it, cell phones.

Brian

Well I certainly wouldn't expect the built in camera to match the FF sensor of my Canon 1Ds Mark II DSLR and have no intentions of selling my DSLR and lenses if I had the device I've been talking about. On the other hand there are situations that aren't well suited to carrying a large DSLR and f/2.8 lens and in those situations the less capable but much smaller P&S digitals are a better choice. A camera like the Canon SD700 IS or SD800 IS is pocket sized, has 6MP or 7MP, can shoot pretty decent video and can be taken places my 1Ds Mark II can not.

Similarly, having a camera in a cell phone or PDA may provide you an opertunity to capture shots you couldn't with the DSLR when it's not with you. Just last night an A-10 dropped a flair into a north Las Vegas neighborhood by accident and the only pictures of it were from a few teens with, need I say it, cell phones.

Brian

You can find examples to "prove" just about anything, though I wonder if the only pictures were from cell phones - When St Helens blew (I'm dating myself when I admit being around when that happened) for a couple of days people were almost in a panic because "nobody got any pictures". With all the pictures that eventually showed up, I think a lot of people were holding out trying to get a better price from the media. I can't say for sure that's the case here, but then, who cares, it's all off topic. :laughing:

I did have a funny thought - if your "ultimate tool" became the norm, it's a good thing locationless caches aren't allowed. Can you image the fun of trying to take a picture of it with it? :o:(:)

So have fun designing it, I hope you can get someone to build one, and maybe you become a millionaire from it. Just don't expect all of us to fall over ourselves trying to get one. Most of the time I'm wanting to get away from it all and enjoy nature as God made it - not carry everything with me. I don't carry a cell phone, so every Tom, Dick and Harry can't interrupt; I don't carry the lastest tunes as the woodpeckers never get the beat right and the meadow larks don't know the harmony; I don't want video capability as nothing compares to what I can see around me. So you enjoy the world with your toys, I'll enjoy it with mine. The key there is "enjoy".

You can find examples to "prove" just about anything, though I wonder if the only pictures were from cell phones - When St Helens blew (I'm dating myself when I admit being around when that happened) for a couple of days people were almost in a panic because "nobody got any pictures". With all the pictures that eventually showed up, I think a lot of people were holding out trying to get a better price from the media. I can't say for sure that's the case here, but then, who cares, it's all off topic. :P

I did have a funny thought - if your "ultimate tool" became the norm, it's a good thing locationless caches aren't allowed. Can you image the fun of trying to take a picture of it with it? :D:):D

So have fun designing it, I hope you can get someone to build one, and maybe you become a millionaire from it. Just don't expect all of us to fall over ourselves trying to get one. Most of the time I'm wanting to get away from it all and enjoy nature as God made it - not carry everything with me. I don't carry a cell phone, so every Tom, Dick and Harry can't interrupt; I don't carry the lastest tunes as the woodpeckers never get the beat right and the meadow larks don't know the harmony; I don't want video capability as nothing compares to what I can see around me. So you enjoy the world with your toys, I'll enjoy it with mine. The key there is "enjoy".

Well I don't always carry my cell phone either and I haven't worn a watch in years. Of course, working in the clean rooms ( semiconductor industry ) broke me of any habit to wear watches years ago.

I have no expectation of being able to build this device as the tooling cost to make a device like this is too high for non-corporate type short of Gates to fund from there own pockets. Also, it a guy like me goes to a company that is in the possition to make it what chance is there that they'd take my idea and show me the door? No, the reason I brought this up was that I wanted an idea if those here would be interested or not -- looks like not.

Brian

edited

You still don't get it. I got all that and more. You missed the point of the humor and that part you obviously don't want to get.

So 1.4 lbs isn't close enough to 2 lbs for you. It is more than a mere 12 ounces, but that's pushing shot glasses back and forth. That's ok too. Like I said, it was a dusty memory but it still was a more accurate target than your 12 ounces.

Cheers! Here's hoping you find yourself lightening up soon.

I've made the case for 12 ounces and haven't had to change my guestimation three times in doing so. A device such as I detailed would weigh about 12 ounces -- not 1.4 pounds, not 2 pounds and not 6 pounds! You refuse to accept that FACT that adding the features of a cell phone does not require adding a cell phone -- just the features! You've not mentioned my observation that adding the features of these seperate devices does not require having 4 cases, 4 batteries, 4 displays, etc. You make snide comments about my 'superiority' but fail to chalenge the fact that integrating more features into silicon doesn't require REQUIRE additional weight or battery consumption. You site a number of examples (6 pound laptop) that imply you're a smart guy but the examples you site argue against that assumption. The average laptop may well be about 6 pounds but there are versions larger and smaller (<4.3 pounds). But, once again, the laptop was never the point of comparison I was using so why you chose to pick it is anyones guess.

We've hastled over this point for the better part of a week and you hide your refusal to accept your errors with a pretend smilly face -- you we're not joking and everything you have said since confirms that fact. You implore me to 'lighten up' while at the same time continuing to argue, in error, "... So 1.4 lbs isn't close enough to 2 lbs for you. It is more than a mere 12 ounces..." I can take a joke as well as anyone but I can also see when a joke isn't a joke.

But, just in case anyone else is reading along and is still here let me give you a few examples where such a device might even save a life:

* You're hiking along and you come upon a snake you're not familiar with, perhaps you're bitten by it, what do you do? Well you might look up snakes in the encylopedia and efter a minute or two you match it with a picture and discover its poisonous. You contact 911 or similar, give them your lat/lon/alt and within 25 minutes a helicopter picks you up and delivers you to the hospital BEFORE you die. The emergency staff knows what snake it was because you identified it with the encyclopedia and you took a picture of it with your digital camera, and they are able to give you the correct anti-venom.

* You're a ranger and have been told of an emergency. You look at your device and are able to see both your possition and that of the emergency and are able to determine the quickest route to get there.

* You're a the leader of a Boy Scout Troup and one of your kids is missing. You contact him and determine his location because he has the device and you are again able to plot the quickest route to rescue him.

Brian

You are a dumbass! Who gives a s*** about your stupid multifunction device. A joke is a joke. The fact is with all of the "functiality" it would be bulky, it would be heavy, and it would be expensive. Its a dream anyway. No company in there right mind would ever make such a beast. And I am not refering to all of your combining product claims. I am refering to your original list. No one would make it! So just let it go. Calm down. And get over it. Jesus! You such a baby.

edited

You still don't get it. I got all that and more. You missed the point of the humor and that part you obviously don't want to get.

So 1.4 lbs isn't close enough to 2 lbs for you. It is more than a mere 12 ounces, but that's pushing shot glasses back and forth. That's ok too. Like I said, it was a dusty memory but it still was a more accurate target than your 12 ounces.

Cheers! Here's hoping you find yourself lightening up soon.

I've made the case for 12 ounces and haven't had to change my guestimation three times in doing so. A device such as I detailed would weigh about 12 ounces -- not 1.4 pounds, not 2 pounds and not 6 pounds! You refuse to accept that FACT that adding the features of a cell phone does not require adding a cell phone -- just the features! You've not mentioned my observation that adding the features of these seperate devices does not require having 4 cases, 4 batteries, 4 displays, etc. You make snide comments about my 'superiority' but fail to chalenge the fact that integrating more features into silicon doesn't require REQUIRE additional weight or battery consumption. You site a number of examples (6 pound laptop) that imply you're a smart guy but the examples you site argue against that assumption. The average laptop may well be about 6 pounds but there are versions larger and smaller (<4.3 pounds). But, once again, the laptop was never the point of comparison I was using so why you chose to pick it is anyones guess.

We've hastled over this point for the better part of a week and you hide your refusal to accept your errors with a pretend smilly face -- you we're not joking and everything you have said since confirms that fact. You implore me to 'lighten up' while at the same time continuing to argue, in error, "... So 1.4 lbs isn't close enough to 2 lbs for you. It is more than a mere 12 ounces..." I can take a joke as well as anyone but I can also see when a joke isn't a joke.

But, just in case anyone else is reading along and is still here let me give you a few examples where such a device might even save a life:

* You're hiking along and you come upon a snake you're not familiar with, perhaps you're bitten by it, what do you do? Well you might look up snakes in the encylopedia and efter a minute or two you match it with a picture and discover its poisonous. You contact 911 or similar, give them your lat/lon/alt and within 25 minutes a helicopter picks you up and delivers you to the hospital BEFORE you die. The emergency staff knows what snake it was because you identified it with the encyclopedia and you took a picture of it with your digital camera, and they are able to give you the correct anti-venom.

* You're a ranger and have been told of an emergency. You look at your device and are able to see both your possition and that of the emergency and are able to determine the quickest route to get there.

* You're a the leader of a Boy Scout Troup and one of your kids is missing. You contact him and determine his location because he has the device and you are again able to plot the quickest route to rescue him.

Brian

You are a dumbass! Who gives a s*** about your stupid multifunction device. A joke is a joke. The fact is with all of the "functiality" it would be bulky, it would be heavy, and it would be expensive. Its a dream anyway. No company in there right mind would ever make such a beast. And I am not refering to all of your combining product claims. I am refering to your original list. No one would make it! So just let it go. Calm down. And get over it. Jesus! You such a baby.

Wow, talk about should let it go. This thread had been untouched for over a month.

:anitongue: ok the most handy geocaching tool is a blackbery it has your cell phone gps blue tooth pda capabilities you can listen to xm or sirus over the interned which is included you get a gps with turn by turn directions if wanted can probubly get one for less than 200 dollars with the 2 yr agreement. everyone at my dads work has one and he lends it to me but 2 months ago his work had a day where they all did a geocaching activity basically a giand multi puzzle deal so they installed all that extra stuff on the black berys they are sure one piece of work

I've found that your brain is about the best tool you've got!

Yes.. someone is thinking along with me while reading this thread.

Essential tools:

1.Brain

2.Good coordinates

3.Map with GZ marked

4.Compass

Optional extras:

Flashlight, Camera, Walking stick.

Edited by edscott

If anyone in this thread needs to calm down and get over it, that would be the person who resurrected it after a month just to demonstrate their distinct lack of social skills!

Edited by VeryLost

I may be in the minority but when I buy a cell phone that is all I want it to do, make and receive phone calls. My PDA is just a PDA, doesn’t take pictures or play videos. My MP3 player just plays music, doesn’t play videos or store pictures and my digital camera only takes pictures (well okay it could do a few minutes of video buy I have never used it for that).

Right, and in the meantime, you lok like Batman with your utility belt walking through the forest. Yes eggs, basket, but that's what backups are for. And I don't mean a backup ipod, camera, etc. I'm talking back GPS and (maybe) cell phone. All the rest is just gravy and won't get you out of a life threatening situation.

Trust me, If I lost my Treo, I'd be lost...and probably cry. But at the end of the day, I do pretty much what the OP wanted and I only carry 2 devices.

P.S. Takeing notes, while on a call? Talk on the phone, and open mome pad or other Word Processor, and type on the built in qwerty keyboard. Go on speak if you must, but I'll use my bluetooth.

It's true therte are no devices with EVERYTHING the OP wants, but IMHO the treo is the closest. Biggere screen would make the phone to clunky to use, HDTV is just not necessary from a stricly caching perspective, I could go on...

--MGb

these do-it-all devices usually all fall into this cliche - "Jack of all trades, master of none"

That I can certainly agree with. My treo - which is better than a blackberry, but that's a whole other Forum post :laughing: - definitely falls into that category. The camera is bad by today's standards, the screen is small, by PDA standards, the keyboard is too small, etc. But overall, it's a good device that does a lot. I love my phone...I need....my phone...

--MGb

Since you've asked what *I* would want in such a unit, I've edited your list as needed:

1. An iPod sized or slightly larger PDA like device with... No music/video on MY machine.

2. A 3x4 inch high resolution (1280x1024) display

3. A 100GB or larger HD with 4GB or so of flash memory and perhaps 1GB RAM to reduce the HD activity A drive large enough to hold all of Garmin Mapsource products (TOPO USA, TOPO Canada (if it exists), some maritime info and all of the 1:20 Park maps). A bit more for custom maps and .GPX files, but not really a lot. maybe 5GB. Also the ability to store way more waypoints, tracks and routes than is done now. Enough memory to handle all of the above.

4. A high quality sound system with ability to output no only stereo to headphones but also HDMI and 5.1/7.1 though the later features are less 'necessary' Ugh. No.

5. Ability to output HD video to onboard display and also output it No.

6. Cell phone features ACK! NOOOOO!

7. GPS features with baro altitude and compass

8. PDA/Handheld PC with flipout keyboard capable of marrying all the above features and do -- MAPPING and moving maps at that. Keyboard can stay or go - BUT I WANT A TOUCHSCREEN!

9. A 6MP digital camera feature would be nice also but not absolutely necessary Why? No thanks. I can barely stand the digital camera I have now. Gimme a separate digital SLR with real knobs and no menu system.

10. WiFi and Bluetooth comm. USB cable.

11. OK, why not sat radio (Sirus/XM) Because I don't want that in my GPS.

12. High capacity battery (LiIon) with ability to swap out fresh one without tools. Most definitely.

Remember - you asked what -I- would want.

Right, and in the meantime, you lok like Batman with your utility belt walking through the forest.

On the flip side of the argument, some of us actually LIKE having all that stuff, just because we like the gadgets themselves. I recently went out caching when some threatening weather was on the way. I took an iPod, Palm, GPSr, cell phone, digital SLR camera, and a police scanner. And I wasn't even really leaving the suburbs.

And if I had had an all-in-one device, I would have taken it as well :laughing: