Hunters in the woods

markp99

After talking to my teacher today I realized my figures were way off the state estimates that hunters contribute 1mill a day in taxes and fees that go DIRECTLY back to the conservation department not distributed throught the state tax base. All this money can be spent on is concervation. So thats 365 million a year 366 on leap years. They are not including the other money we contribute such as gas lodgeing and food we spend while hunting.

PyroDave

Yeah, right. Someone can't even do basic math.

Your teacher says hunters in New York generate 365 million dollars a year in fees and taxes that go directly back to the conservation department. Assume there are 1 million licensed hunters in NY. That means each hunter spends 365 dollars a year on fees and taxes. If they pay on average, $65 dollars for fees and licenses, that means every hunter pays $300 a year in special taxes that go directly to the DEC. Now assume the tax rate, beyond state sales tax is 10% on whatever hunters buy. That means that each hunter must spend $3,450 to be taxed that $300. So each hunter must spend $3,515.00, in fees, and special taxable items such as ammunition to generate that $365 million. That works out to a total expenditure by hunters of 3.65 billion dollars a year in the state of New York alone.

Perhaps my math is off, so feel free to show these numbers to your teacher. I would love to read the response.

BTW, you must have purchased ammunition in New York. What percent is the DEC tax on a box of shells?

11% additional already figured into a box of shells and guns. Knowing some of the hunters i do 3,515 is low for how much they spend a year inbetween multiple guns and ammo for those guns,scopes, bows arrows ect. I know one student that has multiple guns that are well over $1000 each I also know many people with over 20 guns each. I've spent close to 1000 this year so far and hunting seasion and I have only a small % of what I will spend this year I still need another shootgun rifle and a scope for it so when its said and done I will easly spend that much. Also the licences most people buy are eather the sportsmans licence at $45 i belive or supper sportsman at $65 so the $19 license is rarely bought and thus the feas from licenceing alone generate alot more money. Not to mention all the ammo I use for target practice and just for fun. So yes I'll run it by my teacher but he is getting his info right from the state and I doubt that when I run your numbers by him he'll disagree that your math is right but I think he'll say the same thing you underestemate the amount of money we spend in a year.

As for the blaze issue in ny there is no law that you have to wear it. Most huntters during gun seasion for deer whear it out of common sence but during bow season most will go full cammo because they must get alot closer for there shot and there arrows dont travel as far. during turkey noone whears blaze cause the eye sight of a turky is so good that they would run away. Even when I'm not huntting if I'm in the woods I still where blaze out of common sence.

PyroDave

PyroDave

:)

I'm waiting for the day deer finally smarten up and get their own guns!

What gets me is when I'm driveing a 4 door car with its lights on going 55mph deer jump right into it but when im in full camo not moveing a muscle for hrs and useing a gun that shoots a projectile 1000+fps I can't get one. This year I'm slowing down my bullets and wearing lights :)

After talking to my teacher today I realized my figures were way off the state estimates that hunters contribute 1mill a day in taxes and fees that go DIRECTLY back to the conservation department not distributed throught the state tax base. All this money can be spent on is concervation. So thats 365 million a year 366 on leap years. They are not including the other money we contribute such as gas lodgeing and food we spend while hunting.

PyroDave

Your teacher says hunters in New York generate 365 million dollars a year in fees and taxes that go directly back to the conservation department. Assume there are 1 million licensed hunters in NY. That means each hunter spends 365 dollars a year on fees and taxes. If they pay on average, $65 dollars for fees and licenses, that means every hunter pays $300 a year in special taxes that go directly to the DEC. Now assume the tax rate, beyond state sales tax is 10% on whatever hunters buy. That means that each hunter must spend $3,450 to be taxed that $300. So each hunter must spend $3,515.00, in fees, and special taxable items such as ammunition to generate that $365 million. That works out to a total expenditure by hunters of 3.65 billion dollars a year in the state of New York alone.

Perhaps my math is off, so feel free to show these numbers to your teacher. I would love to read the response.

BTW, you must have purchased ammunition in New York. What percent is the DEC tax on a box of shells?

11% additional already figured into a box of shells and guns. Knowing some of the hunters i do 3,515 is low for how much they spend a year inbetween multiple guns and ammo for those guns,scopes, bows arrows ect. I know one student that has multiple guns that are well over $1000 each I also know many people with over 20 guns each. I've spent close to 1000 this year so far and hunting seasion and I have only a small % of what I will spend this year I still need another shootgun rifle and a scope for it so when its said and done I will easly spend that much. Also the licences most people buy are eather the sportsmans licence at $45 i belive or supper sportsman at $65 so the $19 license is rarely bought and thus the feas from licenceing alone generate alot more money. Not to mention all the ammo I use for target practice and just for fun. So yes I'll run it by my teacher but he is getting his info right from the state and I doubt that when I run your numbers by him he'll disagree that your math is right but I think he'll say the same thing you underestemate the amount of money we spend in a year.

PyroDave

Here's a link that indicates about 500 Mil in 2000-2001 expenditures in NYS Dept of environmental Conservation of which only $36 mil is directly related to fishing and hunting support. Only some of the $36 comes from licenses.

http://www.nynjtc.org/news/2000/nysbudget.html

All the other money whether for back trail or purchasing and improvements to land comes from general tax revenues. So even if hunters are spending thousands of dollars on guns, the sales tax just like a person who buys a new car, goes into the general tax revenue fund. So the new car owner's taxes goes to the upkeep of those woods just like the hunters. Yes it is true that licenses and other such fees may go directly to the $36 Mil but those are mainly for services that benefit the hunter and fisherman directly.

The idea that licnese support the "woods" is pretty much like the idea touted about that Off Track Betting revenues will go for education when everyone now realizes that the money just goes into the general tax revenues and are spent on whatever the legislators decide.

None of this of course gives the right of non-hunters to interfere with the activities of hunters. That's just common courtesy. I sometimes fish and don't appreciate it if a motorboater speeds past by rowboat while I'm fishing. It's just common courtesy and has nothing to do with with license fees or how taxes are spent. Oh, and I buy a fishing license as well. :)

PyroDave

Your teacher says hunters in New York generate 365 million dollars a year in fees and taxes that go directly back to the conservation department. Assume there are 1 million licensed hunters in NY. That means each unter spends 365 dollars a year on fees and taxes. If they pay on average, $65 dollars for fees and licenses, that means every hunter pays $300 a year in special taxes that go directly to the DEC. Now assume the tax rate, beyond state sales tax is 10% on whatever hunters buy. That means that each hunter must spend $3,450 to be taxed that $300. So each hunter must spend $3,515.00, in fees, and special taxable items such as ammunition to generate that $365 million. That works out to a total expenditure by hunters of 3.65 billion ollars a year in the state of New York alone.

PyroDave

Here's a link that indicates about 500 Mil in 2000-2001 expenditures in NYS Dept of environmental Conservation of which only $36 mil is directly related to fishing and hunting support. Only some of the $36 comes from licenses.

http://www.nynjtc.org/news/2000/nysbudget.html

All the other money whether for back trail or purchasing and improvements to land comes from general tax revenues. So even if hunters are spending thousands of dollars on guns, the sales tax just like a person who buys a new car, goes into the general tax revenue fund. So the new car owner's taxes goes to the upkeep of those woods just like the hunters. Yes it is true that licenses and other such fees may go directly to the $36 Mil but those are mainly for services that benefit the hunter and fisherman directly.

The idea that licnese support the "woods" is pretty much like the idea touted about that Off Track Betting revenues will go for education when everyone now realizes that the money just goes into the general tax revenues and are spent on whatever the legislators decide.

None of this of course gives the right of non-hunters to interfere with the activities of hunters. That's just common courtesy. I sometimes fish and don't appreciate it if a motorboater speeds past by rowboat while I'm fishing. It's just common courtesy and has nothing to do with with license fees or how taxes are spent. Oh, and I buy a fishing license as well. :)

I'm brand new here but I do spend a lot of time "out" when I can.

I also possess a sporting license(hunting & fishing.)

Not common courtesy in Mass.

Law.

Illegal to harrass hunters in MA.

"Hunter harrassment is against state law. Report violations to the Office of Law Enforcement 1-800-632-8075 or state or local police and prepare to provide a description of violators."

MA 2006 hunting abstracts. Page 6.

Stay out of hunting areas during hunting season. (500 feet from a dwelling or 150 feet from pavement?)

Or hunt.

Mid Sept to mid Dec.

Common sense.

(Widespread absence of that in this world 12 October 2006)

Edited by tag05

Tag05: Since you just joined geocaching two days ago, and this is your only post, your opinion would have more substance if you had a couple of caches under your belt. We invite you do do some caching first to see what it's about before telling cachers they should stay out of the woods during season. Otherwise you come off as a troll.

Just got back from my hunting trip. I didn't shoot any geocachers or get drunk. Wow, I guess that blows the stereotype :unsure:

(snipped pics for bandwidth saving & end statement as not revelant to my response.)

Welll well well, imagine what? I'm a ex postal carrier, city & rural, I'm ex war time/THofOps vet & a former NRA member. Do I carry a pistol on me, nope. Does my home bristle with guns, nope. I own all of...

1 old 20 ga single shot, 1 .22 cal target rifle single shot bolt action & a .22 cal pistol with 10 clip.

Anything can kill if the dope behind the rifle is as accurate as the dope on the sights, a m16 is around the same as a .22 cal basically.

Oh yeah, not on meds for depression, dont have depression nor been diagnosed as a danger to anyone so someone want to try & trot out the old postal employee adage?

If someone mistakenly decided they want to make a assumption from _my_ post that all hunters are drunks then guess what you made an 'a**'umption of yourself & not me. I have decent hunters around here but we like anywhere else have our share of 'jerk hunters'. 'Tourists' here are out-of-staters/upstaters who come here & decide they want to stay & then try changing everything. As far as any post made by IC he's on my personal ignore list as I could care less for what he says.

Around here there are very few of us who stand up for our rights to protect our land from trespassers, I spent all day yesterday reposting my land because some jerk decided they wanted to rip down my signs so let them try ripping down metal signs sunk in with 6" screws. Hehe, I'll catch em before they get 1/2" out of the tree.

And yup, I put out corn & apples for the deer deep in my land so they will be safe from spotlighters & people coming on without permission. Already seen a couple small bucks, lots of does & yearlings.

The OP's did ask about wearing orange while out caching, I guess like anything this thread has disintegrated into hunters against anti-hunters or whatever. Could care less but had to respond to the 'anti-sterotypical' comment.

I'm out as this thread doesnt seem to be making any headway.

Diane

Proud Vet, former Postal employee & gun owner (you'll get my guns after I die & not before)

This weekend I ran into 3 bowhunters on different trails here in NH. These guys were seriously camo'd and looking a lot like Rambo. I was dressed like a typical hiker in jeans, boots, backpack and treking poles
I was going to suggest being courteous and not caching deep in the woods during prime hunting season. For bowhunting the prime season is during the rut which typically runs from late October through early November. I used to bowhunt. It is a lot of fun but it takes a lot of effort to be successful. If we all thought about each other a little more this world would take a big step in the right direction. :unsure:
a m16 is around the same as a .22 cal basically.

.22 LR Standard, 40 grain HP, Velocity at muzzle = 1070 fps, velocity at 100 yards = 890 fps, bullet energy at muzzle = 100 foot pounds, energy at 100 yards = 70 foot pounds.

.223 FMJ, 55 grains, Velocity at muzzle = 3240 fps, velocity at 100 yards = 2759 fps, bullet energy at muzzle = 1282 foot pounds, energy at 100 yards = 929 foot pounds

15 grains heavier, 3 times as fast, 10 times the energy.....

Yeah, I can see they're almost identical. Perhaps some firearms education is in order? Comparing a .22 long rifle to a .223 is like comparing a bicycle to a Ninja motorcycle. :huh: Maybe you could stick to arguing things you know something about, such as the pros/cons of first class mail vs. third class mail?

If someone mistakenly decided they want to make a assumption from _my_ post that all hunters are drunks then guess what you made an 'a**'umption of yourself & not me.

Nope. I think the only assumptions made by your post is that you think it's OK to shoot trespassers.

As far as any post made by IC he's on my personal ignore list as I could care less for what he says.

Who's IC? How do I get on that list? :unsure:

Just got back from my hunting trip. I didn't shoot any geocachers or get drunk. Wow, I guess that blows the stereotype :unsure:

I camped about 1/4 mile from the only cache in the area, imagine that!

Ha - I've got you beat, the boy and I went out last weekend and got us a nice Ford Bronco II, checked on some of my caches and the oldest in the state. Bumped into a couple of other hunters, all in all we had a great afternoon.

Saturday I am climbing a steep hill toward a cache and from right above me I hear "good morning". it is a bowhunter many feet above me in a camoflaged tree stand. I apologize for coming right under him but he laughs it off and doesn't seem the least bit upset. He then asks me to check out a nearby scrape for him to see if it has been freshened up over the last day or so.. I confirm the recent visit for him and go on my way. This is a normal meeting of hiker and hunter. Tomorow we could reverse roles as I may decide to fill the freezer instead of hunting tupperware. For the vast majority of us there is no controversy but we still have a 100+ post thread going. :unsure:

Edited by edscott

I was going to suggest being courteous and not caching deep in the woods during prime hunting season. For bowhunting the prime season is during the rut which typically runs from late October through early November. I used to bowhunt. It is a lot of fun but it takes a lot of effort to be successful. If we all thought about each other a little more this world would take a big step in the right direction. :unsure:

My point exactly.

See above.

I know some who wait the whole year just for "The trip."

Not about to go out a ruin a hunt that some wait the whole year for.

And there is a percentage.

A small one.

Who should not be allowed to walk unsupervised, let alone possess a firearm or a bow.

I don't want to be shot in the back.

Tha's not trying to stereotype anyone.

Or trying to start an arguement.

Self preservation. Instinct. Common sense.

It only takes one shot.

Never thought I'd get scolded for recommending common sense.

And for the record I joined here after doing a search on "survey benchmarks."

Found a lot just walking. Map & compass. GPS has hardly left the house.

Edited by tag05

For the vast majority of us there is no controversy but we still have a 100+ post thread going. ;)

I agree. As the OP, I was simply looking for ideas how to handle myself in the woods in the fall.

I made a big expense today and forked ove $5.27 for a blaze orange hunting vest. The thing packs as small as my wallet so it will fit in my pack without even knowing it's there. I'm going back to get a $0.99 youth vest for the outside of my pack.

I'm gonna need sunglasses for myself. That stuff sure is bright!

Maybe the 'no hunting on Sunday rule,' is so that hikers and others can have a day in the woods, without filling up the emergency rooms. Of course the jerry springer partipant gene pool may not care about what day it is.

Hmm... This was my response to the question as to why hunting was banned in New Jersey on Sundays: You guys have six days a week to hunt. We hikers only have one day a week to hike safely.

I stay out of hunting lands during hunting season, except on Sundays. I had met several hunters during my more naive days. The hunter who said Hi, from several feet above my head. The guy in camo with a crossbow on the AT on Sunday. (He had me really worried.) I shouldn't have been hiking the AT in Pennsylvania State Hunting Land on a Saturday. At the top of Lehigh Gap. Six hunters were carrying a deer out. Ooh. This is a toxic waste clean-up site, due to pollution from zinc smelting in Palmerton. "Do not drink the water here." "Young children should not visit this area more than twice a year." The views are great! There are no trees, nor have there been any for decades. I wouldn't want a deer that was in this area.

The hunters in Orange County, New York. "Where you going?" I'm climbing back up this mountain, and hiking five miles to get back to my car. "Better you than us!"

Then there were the hunters in upstate New York. My parents owned eighty acres of land. It was posted against hunting. There is a pipeline intersecting the land. Thirty degree slope coming down the hill. There's a Pinto (it was several years ago.) with a deer on the roof, and two Jeeps trying to pull him out. "Sorry. This is posted land. You are not permitted to hunt here." "It's a pipeline. It's public property." "No, it isn't. And it is posted." I can't swear that they did it, but someone drove over our mailbox that night. Obviously, not all hunters have common sense (the same is true of hikers and geocachers.)

Discretion being the better part of valor, I avoid hunting lands during hunting season, except on Sundays.

Side observation: In New Jersey, we have 'Wildlife Management Areas'. In Pennsylvania, they have "State Hunting Lands'. Euphemism versus Truth in Advertsing?

No hunting on Sundays because of the Blue laws.

Same reason you couldn't buy beer on Sundays.

New England, NY & NJ

300-400 year old Puritan law.

Not even allowed to target practice on Sundays in MA.

Still.

Now.

And a Pinto for a hunting vehicle?

Like I said; small percentage that shouldn't be allowed to walk.

Saturday I am climbing a steep hill toward a cache and from right above me I hear "good morning". it is a bowhunter many feet above me in a camoflaged tree stand. I apologize for coming right under him but he laughs it off and doesn't seem the least bit upset.
I guess he didn't mind you putting fresh human scent all over (for those of you that don't know...bowhunters take great care in covering up their own scent). That should have kept the deer away from his hunting spot for several hours. But I have to admit that it was always nice to sit out there and take it all in for a few hours. ;) Edited by TrailGators

I used to hunt with a .243. I had anybody that wanted to know the difference between that and a .22 stand closely behind me at the range when I fired it! RINGGGGG!! ;)

I still remember "that ring."

The campground I usually go to has a sand pit.

The owner brought up one of his......

One shot.

RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.......................................

Then he taps me on the shoulder and says I really should have been wearing ear protection.

Thanks.

I have a chronic tinitus anyway(ringing)

That just turned the volume way up.

For only three weeks.

I used to hunt with a .243. I had anybody that wanted to know the difference between that and a .22 stand closely behind me at the range when I fired it! RINGGGGG!! ;)

I still remember "that ring."

The campground I usually go to has a sand pit.

The owner brought up one of his......

One shot.

RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.......................................

Then he taps me on the shoulder and says I really should have been wearing ear protection.

Thanks.

I have a chronic tinitus anyway(ringing)

That just turned the volume way up.

For only three weeks.

I know what you mean. I owned a Ruger Super Blackhawk for a couple of years. I forgot to wear ear protection just one time at the range and the hearing in my left ear has never been the same. Edited by TrailGators
Maybe the 'no hunting on Sunday rule,' is so that hikers and others can have a day in the woods, without filling up the emergency rooms. Of course the jerry springer partipant gene pool may not care about what day it is.

What a load of codswallop. Incidents of non hunters being killed by hunters are so rare as to be statistically near 0. The carnage of hikers and others enjoying the woods does not exist and to intimate otherwise is disingenuous.

I'm not now, nor have I ever been a hunter, but when I see ignorant posts such as this one I think the record needs to be set straight.

On a hunt this past Saturday a sign at the park STRONGLY RECOMMENDED blaze orage for hikers and such. Went back to the car to get a safety vest I carry in the trunk. Didn't want to become a statistic. Also, since I don't hunt, I don't keep track of the seasons. But didn't see or hear anybody else in the woods. I stuck to a trail all the way to ground zero. If there were any hunters, their camo was real good and they stayed quiet!

:rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the day deer finally smarten up and get their own guns!

What gets me is when I'm driveing a 4 door car with its lights on going 55mph deer jump right into it but when im in full camo not moveing a muscle for hrs and useing a gun that shoots a projectile 1000+fps I can't get one. This year I'm slowing down my bullets and wearing lights <_<

That works. That's why it's probably against the law in your state. :unsure:

Where orange.

If you are in an area where hunting is allowed I would assume you don't want to get shot so where orange. More proactively, determine which season it is. In many states there are several seasons for several species of animals. Also, don't forget that people also hunt for more things then mammals (i.e. geese, grouse, etc.). Every year a few hunters accidentally shoot other hunter so it is best to give a poor reason to shoot you. This would include 1> being seen, 2> not scaring the 18 point buck from their gun site. Also, we don't need any

I grew up in a deer hunting region and would never go out without being able to be seen when I know hunters are around. Here is a good link

New Hampshire Hunting Seasons

For example in October 2006 the seasons in New Hampshire are:

started - November Black bear/end dates vary for method and WMU

started - Jan. 2007 Waterfowl/dates vary by species and zone

started - Dec. 15 Deer/archery (end dates may vary by WMU)

started - Dec. 15 Fall turkey/archery

Oct. 16 - Oct. 20 Fall turkey/shotgun (in certain WMUs only)

started - March 2007 Small game/dates vary by species and region

Oct. 1 - Dec. 31 Pheasant

Oct. 21- Oct. 29 Moose (by permit only)

Oct. 21 - Oct. 22 Youth deer-hunting weekend

Oct. 28 - Nov. 7 Deer/muzzleloader

Also a link from the NH F&GD

Hunter Education

Good luck and stay safe.

What gets me is when I'm driveing a 4 door car with its lights on going 55mph deer jump right into it
I learned why that happens a while back. When but a deer sees your headlights, it turns to run the other way. But as soon as it turns, it spots its own shadow right next to it. That really spooks it, so it immediately will turn and run towards the less scary car headlights. So when you approach a deer on the side of the road at night, the chances are that its going to run in front of you!
What gets me is when I'm driveing a 4 door car with its lights on going 55mph deer jump right into it
I learned why that happens a while back. When but a deer sees your headlights, it turns to run the other way. But as soon as it turns, it spots its own shadow right next to it. That really spooks it, so it immediately will turn and run towards the less scary car headlights. So when you approach a deer on the side of the road at night, the chances are that its going to run in front of you!

lol ya had it hapen 2x's both in areas where the houses are to close to hunt the park and the deer population is out of control.

When it comes to hunting seasions depending on what you hunt you can almost hunt year around but deer seasion is the seasion that has the most hunters in the woods at a time. Right now in my area its duck season, turky season, bow huntting for deer, squirl and rabiitt season.

One thing I would say is stick to the trails as much as possable most hunters avoid setting up on man made trails.

PyroDave

I found this web site which lists the "orange" requirements of every state: http://www.ihea.com/stateinfo/hunter-orange-req.php

In MD, they require hunters to wear an orange hat or a vest. I'll likely buy the hat even though I'm not hunting, as people will be looking for them.

Great link! Califonia doesn't require that even hunters wear orange. They only "strongly recommend" that they do. Yikes! I know when I was rifle hunting I constantly checked for orange in my shooting lanes. If some idiot was walking around in the woods without orange, I most likely would have spotted him/her but I can see how some other hunters might not especially if the person blended in. I hunted with a bolt action rifle. That forced me to take super careful aim because I basically only got one shot. I never did like being around hunters that unloaded 5-10 shots. I think it takes the sport out of it and it also makes it more dangerous. Anyhow, I think anybody walking around in the woods during hunting season without orange is nuts!

For your own sake -- DON"T make a lot of noise -- you want to tick a hunter off -- run off all the wild game.

You can buy a very lightweight plastic blaze orange vest (I have left several of these in caches) at Walmart for around $2. I would also recommend a blaze orange hat.

Hunters may be there at any time of the day, but wild game moves the most right around sunrise and sunset, so those would be the best times to stay out of hunting areas.

Know your areas hunting seasons, and if it is a rifle season, don't hunt that area until it is over, and/or you take careful precautions.

As both a hunter AND a geocacher, I can see both sides of the coin here.

Personally, I would be very quiet, avoid the high traffic times, and wear the orange. :P

Califonia doesn't require that even hunters wear orange.

On a similar note; Florida requires 500 square inches of blaze orange worn above the waist while hunting deer or accompanying someone hunting deer. I got in an argument with a Game Warden once for not wearing orange. I explained that I was hunting hogs, not deer, and as such, the rule did not apply to me. He finally contacted his supervisor, who told him I was right.

Yeah, I did a lot of stupid things in my youth. :unsure:

I now wear orange during hunting season even if I'm only killing time. I've found over the years that I'm allergic to bullets.

Good Grief! I have bowhunted for many years! Most bowhunters have to be within 40yds of their target to hit/kill it and usually much closer. I am sure they will "recognize" you as not being "legal" game. Now hunters from NY City with guns - that is a whole different story....

This weekend I ran into 3 bowhunters on different trails here in NH. These guys were seriously camo'd and looking a lot like Rambo. I was dressed like a typical hiker in jeans, boots, backpack and treking poles

It's pretty rare to bump into anyone in the woods around here (except during an FTF hunt), so seeing these guys gave me a a bit of startle. I have noted a few caches around here have suggested wearing ORANGE during hunting season. This is my first season caching during the fall; I'm guessing it's OPEN SEASON.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dayglow orange atire? I really don;t want anything too bulky or heavy, but I also don;t want to be mistaken for a black bear or a deer. I hear those razor-tipped arrows are SHARP. :laughing:

I've also thought to make human-like noises while deep in the woods - whistling, banging pots & pans, whatever.

Any ideas to help me keep from beeing SHOT while hunting for tupperware filled with wet stinky geojunk?

Thanks!

I am both a hunter and geoCacher, Wearing hunters orange is best, as far as making noises to interfer with Hunters you might want to check State law as in many states you can be arested for interfering with a hunt!

Just keep in mind if you interfer with a hunter's hunt and do not respect his rights why should he respect you"re Geo Cache if he finds it!

For exsample if was to make loud nosies and scare off Game, Then why should he not destory youre Geo cache.

The Forest is there for all to enjoy each in his own, but must respect each other.s rights or lose those rights.

In indiana you need State DNR permision to put Geo Cach in state forest or State property, Hunters only need a Hunting License, So if Conflict araise I can see State property manager refusing you Geo Cache, its there option to allow to put one on property.

You may want to consider State Parks if you want to go into the woods instead of State Forest, especiallty doing months of Mid Oct to Mid Decmber ( Deer season )

On topic! Wear the orange and if possible avoid the opening days or weekends of rifle hunts. In Arizona I notice that opening day and weekends are heavily hunted then most folks return to work. I have been out caching over the last month when our hunting season is in full swing as a hunter myself I tend to be aware of all the surroundings not just the arrow on the gps'r. If I see a hunter enroute I simply retreat and come back another time. As mentioned before avoid the early and late hours of the day. Last but not least check the web for the agency in your state responsible for hunting it will have a ton of information.

I too am a hunter and a geocacher ! Just to remind you that as said above, we shoot at identified targets, be it with a gun or a bow. The issue could be if you are in the background but here too, we always shoot in such a way the bullet if it pass through game will hit the ground. Problem could be with bullet fragments or change in trajectory as it passes through. The likelyhood is very small. Besides game will spot you and be spooked. It is how we can determine someone is around. Geais and mag pie will also rat on you and inform the hunter of your presence. We can also make the difference between the noise you make and the noise from an animal. For the smell, on the other hand, we can't !

Regarding the bow, I do not know of any case where a passer by has been injured. Bowhunter needs to be camouflaged as shot are at very short range, max 30m and the bow range is very short. In addition most bowhunters hunt from a treestand.

Of course, wear blaze orange as an added safety measure, at least a cap.

Keep in mind that hunting is a legal activity, that often the hunter has to rent the place he hunts and therefore has a right to be theretoo, so you have to be respectfull of their activity as they are of yours.

Now, the most dangerous time, the one I fear when I hunt or geocache is when I drive my car to the place ! :rolleyes:

Statistics show that hunting is with card playing, one of the least hazardous activity (except for game)! B)

There are far more reckless drivers than reckless hunters, besides how do YOU behave on the road ?

Edited by Suscrofa
What a load of codswallop. Incidents of non hunters being killed by hunters are so rare as to be statistically near 0. The carnage of hikers and others enjoying the woods does not exist and to intimate otherwise is disingenuous.

I'm not now, nor have I ever been a hunter, but when I see ignorant posts such as this one I think the record needs to be set straight.

Yes it does.

The story starts:

A 60-year-old Keswick man has been charged after a hiker mistaken for wild game was shot dead this week.

Autopsy results released Tuesday show 67-year-old Marianne Schmid, of Adjala-Tosorontio, died of a single gunshot wound to the abdomen on Monday.

Her family said Schmid avoided hiking during hunting season in the public Simcoe County Forest because she was wary of shots aimed at deer and wild turkeys.

But she didn't realize the season had begun on Monday, and despite wearing a red turtleneck sweater, was shot dead that afternoon as she strolled through the forest near her home west of Tottenham, Ont.

And the link:

HERE

Yes it does.

The story starts:

A 60-year-old Keswick man has been charged after a hiker mistaken for wild game was shot dead this week.

Autopsy results released Tuesday show 67-year-old Marianne Schmid, of Adjala-Tosorontio, died of a single gunshot wound to the abdomen on Monday.

Her family said Schmid avoided hiking during hunting season in the public Simcoe County Forest because she was wary of shots aimed at deer and wild turkeys.

But she didn't realize the season had begun on Monday, and despite wearing a red turtleneck sweater, was shot dead that afternoon as she strolled through the forest near her home west of Tottenham, Ont.

And the link:

HERE

We don't claim there are NO accident, although in this case it is the stupidity of a guy taking a shot at a unidentified target. The fact is that these are very rare, usualy blown out of proportion by a press that lives on these extreme case. Look at the stats.

To give you an example, in the country I live, France, there are more death due to mushroom collected in the woods than death by hunting accident and hunting let me tell you is wilder than in the US.

Private swiming pools, skiing, boating kils a lot more, passer by included !

Hunters have to take an insurance that covers for an unlimited amount in case of death and it costs 30 bucks a year !