Hunters in the woods

markp99

First things first, wearing orange is a very, very good idea. Best advice though, is to stick to caching on Sundays when hunting isn't allowed. Making noise is a very, very bad idea as it might cause a normally rational hunter to go over the edge so to speak (I'm a hunter and wouldn't think of acting like this, but I'm also pretty tolerant of cachers :rolleyes: ). Lastly, while we have equal rights to public lands like state parks, state game land is an entirely different matter with entirely different rules.

Read the free information about the hunting rules available for free online and at your local courhouses/administration buildings and sheriff departments. If you wear orange and ringing bells in state gamelands near a hunter who is actively hunting in the area you may end up being fined and or arrested for impeding a hunt.

You might think I'm joking, but just call your local game commission and they will confirm it (in Pennsylvania anyway). It has happened more than once in our area when local animal rights activists tramped about in the woods wearing bright colors and making noise. They tried to defend themselves claiming their right to hike in the woods and were promptly told the laws strictly prohibit exactly that kind of activity during open seasons for big game.

So protect yourself with orange in the parks, avoid the gamelands except on Sunday (at least for the next few weeks) and use a little common sense. You should be just fine and the last thing we need are hunters stirring up commotion with cachers.

Being a bowhunter myself, I would have to say...

Top of the line bow with ALL assessories $1499

Scent-Lock Real Tree camo outfit $349

Climbing treestand $269

Shooting a geocacher who scared away my

buck of a lifetime by banging pots and pans....

priceless

Seriously... wear the orange, be quiet, live longer.

Edited by TEAM NICKELBACKERS

Seriously... wear the orange, be quiet, live longer.

I still say blaze orange is a fashion mistake.

Just cache and don't worry about it. You aren't going to get shot and if you do chances are you won't live to come here and tell me I was wrong :anicute:

Edited by DaveA

First things first, wearing orange is a very, very good idea. Best advice though, is to stick to caching on Sundays when hunting isn't allowed. Making noise is a very, very bad idea as it might cause a normally rational hunter to go over the edge so to speak (I'm a hunter and wouldn't think of acting like this, but I'm also pretty tolerant of cachers :anicute: ). Lastly, while we have equal rights to public lands like state parks, state game land is an entirely different matter with entirely different rules.

Read the free information about the hunting rules available for free online and at your local courhouses/administration buildings and sheriff departments. If you wear orange and ringing bells in state gamelands near a hunter who is actively hunting in the area you may end up being fined and or arrested for impeding a hunt.

You might think I'm joking, but just call your local game commission and they will confirm it (in Pennsylvania anyway). It has happened more than once in our area when local animal rights activists tramped about in the woods wearing bright colors and making noise. They tried to defend themselves claiming their right to hike in the woods and were promptly told the laws strictly prohibit exactly that kind of activity during open seasons for big game.

So protect yourself with orange in the parks, avoid the gamelands except on Sunday (at least for the next few weeks) and use a little common sense. You should be just fine and the last thing we need are hunters stirring up commotion with cachers.

Just to add one thing... Not all states ban Hunting on sunday. In Washington, hunting is allowed on sundays.

Any ideas to help me keep from beeing SHOT while hunting for tupperware filled with wet stinky geojunk?

Shoot first! :anicute:

Kidding aside, my daughter and I wore orange caps on the last day of turkey season in PA while hiding caches in State Game Lands. I admit I was a little nervous.

Thing I can't figure out is why hunters wear camoflage clothes and camo face paint. Does it really help? I mean years ago hunters wore normal clothes. Seems like they're just trying to make a statement with camo.

and years ago people letter boxed but then came gps. No we where camo cause adavances in tecnology let showed us it helps. Bottom line is hunters and cachers are both out huntting. I've talked with cachers that were upset cause a hunter shot there cache up. How bout the hunter thats upset with the cacher that upset his hunting day. Good hunter scout the area and spend alot of time in the woods before hunting seasion to sit in that one spot for 8hrs or more. Just like a cache place on a good hide. Do eather groups have a right to that area but as a hunter and cacher I would hope to give respect to the other.

By the way do you know most of the feas from hunting licences go back to the state to manage/protect the lands that you like to cache in and hunters like to hunt?? Here in NY the budgets are being cut and there the hunters are declineing that means less money going into managment of lands that you like to cache in. Also hunters help regulate the animal populations. In NY the deer population is out of control right now and if it wasnt for hunters it would be worse. Ive been to many places where the deer have destroyed all chances of the forest replentishing it self.

As for the blaze ornge question yes if your in the woods during hunting seasion esp deer whear orange. Here its not a requirement but I'll do it anyways. Why?? cause it makes me less likely to to no be seen.

if your in the woods during big game seasion be smart about what your doing and rember your not the only person trying to enjoy a activity they love. Hunters are actualy paying for the privlage to do what they want to do and helping all people that enjoy the outdoors at the same time.

PyroDave

if you are qiet and do not disturbe thegame ,just wear clothing that,sticks out well and be quiet making noise will get them mad at you while just strolling through the woods will most likely not even get you a second glance.But if you bang pots and pans together someone will be very upset you are ruining their outdoor oppurtunity..their is plenty of room for both as long as both sides show respect for the other.

I agree.

If I am in the woods and it is hunting season I am going to be wearing orange. If you want to make a fashion statement go ahead. As a wise, old man once told me "No sense be right if you are DEAD right!" Bear bells I don't think I would do. Scaring off all the game may get you shot at.

Ok~since they say there is no such thing as a DUMB question~~I don't hunt and am traveling across country caching. Just WHEN exactly IS hunting season????? Do states differ on dates? We live out west and are traveling in the east. I did pick up an orange vest, but am not sure when to start wearing it. OK OK, I can hear laughter out there :anicute:

I just spent the past 2 years in NH and lived just off several hundred acres of woods and hiking trails that were open to hunting during the season. I made sure that not only my wife and I wore the blaze orange vests, but that we also got some for the dogs. I have two dogs that are about the size of a small deer, and from a distance through the trees could be easily mistaken as something other than a domestic dog. My third dog was probably pretty safe as she's very low to the ground, but she wore a vest as well. That way we would all be relatively safe ( I don't think anyone can be 100% safe while in the woods during hunting season ).

Fortunately all of the hunters we encountered (very few by the way) were of the 99.9% of hunters who do not shoot wildly at anything that moves and pay attention to their surroundings. Every one of them also congratulated us for being aware, wearing the orange and putting it on our dogs as well. Apparently all too many non-hunters don't wear orange.

Best advice though, is to stick to caching on Sundays when hunting isn't allowed.

So protect yourself with orange in the parks, avoid the gamelands except on Sunday (at least for the next few weeks)

No good in Ohio as most (maybe all) hunting is allowed on Sunday.

Ohio also has the hunter harassment laws.

Ohio has also refused to allow placing caches on state wildlife areas, these are similar to PA. Gamelands (but less restrictions). There are state parks with extensive huntable areas that DO have caches on them.

Not trying to start any type of flame war. I no longer hunt - but have and fully support hunter's rights.

Around here bow hunting is not necessarily safer. A few years ago a local shot and killed his son, but I forget if it was bow or crossbow.

In this state there are WAY too many that shoot 1st and look later, especially doing dear gun season. They only hunt during deer season.

If it was me - at least here in Ohio, I'd stay out of the woods during deer season.

Ok~since they say there is no such thing as a DUMB question~~I don't hunt and am traveling across country caching. Just WHEN exactly IS hunting season????? Do states differ on dates? We live out west and are traveling in the east. I did pick up an orange vest, but am not sure when to start wearing it. OK OK, I can hear laughter out there :anicute:

Yep - every state has it's own rules, dates, where allowed, etc.

Obviously in the west, where it's less populated and way more open than the east one SHOULD be safer and most seasons are longer.

In the East (I'm in Ohio) our deer season starts right after Thanksgiving (for gun) bow is in now.

Most places in the east are +- few weeks around T'day.

With the net it should be easy to get dates, someone like Field and Stream or Sports Afield may have chart for the country online.

Yep - every state has it's own rules, dates, where allowed, etc.

Obviously in the west, where it's less populated and way more open than the east one SHOULD be safer and most seasons are longer.

In the East (I'm in Ohio) our deer season starts right after Thanksgiving (for gun) bow is in now.

Most places in the east are +- few weeks around T'day.

With the net it should be easy to get dates, someone like Field and Stream or Sports Afield may have chart for the country online.

When people refer to "hunting season" they are usually referring to deer season. Yet there are many other seasons and in some states something is always in season. In NJ, for deer alone we have doe season, 6 day firearm season, permit shotgun season, fall bow season, winter bow season and muzzleloader season. Then there is a turkey season, small game season, waterfowl season, bear season, migratory bird season, woodchuck season and coyote season. Something is in season basically from Sept through April. In some states there is no off season, so its wise to always be careful when in the woods.

Bow season is in full swing here and in fact my wife and I both startled and were startled by a bow hunter in a full ghillie suit while we were hiking this weekend. The guy shot a deer at 8:30 that morning and when we ran into him at 5:30 he was still tracking it. Asked us if we saw any blood on the ground in our travels.

Wear orange period. Why take chances? Last year I entered some County property looking for a cache. At the trailhead on an orange poster were marked the dates when hunting was allowed on County property. It was 4 days past the last day. Cool, right? I was looking for a good 45 minutes for this hide, which turned out to be buried....when a shotgun hunter appeared behind me. Startled me pretty good. He asked what I was doing and I explained.....I asked what HE was doing since I had read the sign....and he explained he was hunting the adjoining property. He was just SHOOTING from this side. Whatever dude.....you got the gun. This fellow assures me he will not shoot in my direction and sets off up the hill. I'm still looking for the cache and he fires about 40 yards north of me......that's it.....I'm outta here. Anywho........ I'm at the local sandwich shop for lunch a few days later and see a guy who looks familiar. Yep, it was him alright. In his COUNTY RANGER UNIFORM. Moral: You never know who's out there, don't take chances. You'll live to cache another day.

I've also thought to make human-like noises while deep in the woods - whistling, banging pots & pans, whatever.

A couple of people have mentioned that this may be illegal in your state, but keep in mind that it is also disrespectful in any state. If you are respectful to the hunters they will be respectful to you.

And ALWAYS WEAR BLAZE ORANGE! It is the single most effective means of avoiding accidental shootings. States which have passed mandatory blaze orange laws during hunting season have seen dramatic drops in shooting accidents.

If you refuse to wear blaze orange because of a fashion statement while caching...pal, you have some SERIOUS priority issues. Buy a hat. Put it on when you walk into the woods. Take it off when you get back to the car. No big deal.

Another thing to remember. You can geocache year-round. Hunters get only a couple months to work their sport. If I'm going caching this time of year (unlikely...odds are I'm in my treestand with my bow) and I pull into a parking area and see a likely hunting vehicle... I leave. I can come back in February. The coming weeks are a critical time in deer hunting, as the rut (breeding season) is about to start, and deer activity will be at it's highest. If there's already someone out there hunting, do you HAVE to go after that cache today?

Any ideas to help me keep from beeing SHOT while hunting for tupperware filled with wet stinky geojunk?

(Thot I'd quote the OP just to keep on topic.)

True Story: A bowhunter (I know his name) once took an uphill shot at a game animal. Known target, skilled hunter, misjudged the distance to the target, missed. The arrow went over the animal, continued on over the crest of the hill and down the other side until it hit another hunter, killing him. No amount of blaze orange in the world could have made that other hunter visible to the shooter.

Moral? Stuff occurs. So, if you're really worried about bowhunters, despite the fact that they are using short-range weapons AND have a pretty good record of safety overall, ya better confine your caching to non-huntable areas during the seasons.

Out here in God's Country, there are precious few geocaches hidden very far into what I consider prime hunting areas, so there's not much of a problem. With fuel prices where they are, few geocachers seem willing to go very far off the beaten track. That also reduces the potential for conflict with bowhunters, who are known to actually go into the woods while hunting. (This is unlike most gun hunters in my experience. Once, while I was in camp during bowhunting season, some gunhunters drove in. They were scouting the area preparatory to the rifle season which would begin after the bow season ended. Somehow, the subject came up and one of them asked one of the other bowhunters about the sanitary facilities at the campground, which they couldn't see from their truck. They were told that, yes there was an outhouse, but they'd never find it because it was 50 feet off the road and painted brown....) :anicute:

If you refuse to wear blaze orange because of a fashion statement while caching...pal, you have some SERIOUS priority issues. Buy a hat. Put it on when you walk into the woods. Take it off when you get back to the car. No big deal.

OK, for the sake of clarification my 'fashion blunder' statement was an attempt at *obvious*(to me) humor that nobody else got. I don't care much what I look like at any time let alone while trouncing through the woods.

Another thing to remember. You can geocache year-round. Hunters get only a couple months to work their sport.

While I do not hunt, nearly all the males in my family do and all of my friends do. I live in Wisconsin which is a huge hunting state so I certainly get hunting and hunter's attitudes.

Still, I don't bother with wearing orange. Then again I don't really tempt fate either. I don't go out onto prime hunting lands during hunting season (gun deer season). When I am out caching and start hearing gunshots from areas there shouldn't be gunshots (not uncommon this time of year) I leave the area as I figure the people shooting the guns are the same idiots who shoot at moving bushes and kill people and think they have a legal leg to stand on by saying "I couldn't see that it wasn't a deer I was blindly shooting at". I guess my perceptions are colored by the fact that I live in the SE part of the state any pretty much every hunter goes 'up north' to hunt as in the SE there are so many restrictions in place on discharging firearms it isn't worth trying. That and the public hunting land is so highly used that hunting isn't worth trying. If one is hunting in SE Wisconsin they are on private land, not public.

Best advice though, is to stick to caching on Sundays when hunting isn't allowed.

[rant]Dude, when I read this, I thought it was just your version of humor. Then I realized you were serious! I still wasn't sure if I believed it or not, so I checked. There really are places that don't allow hunting on Sundays. I wonder if they issue calendars to the deer so they know what day it is? Can you even imagine the legislative session that this nonsense stemmed from?

"Ladies & Gentlemen of the Senate, I propose that we ban hunting on Sundays, cuz God says hunting is bad. Do I hear a Second?"

How could any reasonable person argue that it's OK to kill a critter on Monday but somehow not OK to kill the same critter on Sunday?[/rant]

How could any reasonable person argue that it's OK to kill a critter on Monday but somehow not OK to kill the same critter on Sunday?[/rant]

There are all sort of blue laws on the books. In Wisconsin where I live car dealerships are all closed by law on Sundays. Every other business type can be open on Sunday if they wish (including strip clubs and head shops), but not car dealerships.

No idea what kind of anti thinking went into that law. Probably dates back to horse and buggy trading days.

After 9pm any day of the week you can't buy hard alcohol or wine, but you can buy 20 cases of beer if you wish. You can also drive to the bar and drink all the wine and booze you want after 9pm and then drive home drunk, but you can't buy it at a store, drive home sober and consume it at your residence.

Never try to impose logic on a legislative body. It just makes your head hurt.

There really are places that don't allow hunting on Sundays.

Check this out:

States that restrict hunting on Sunday are debating whether to loosen the bans to placate eager hunters and manage deer overpopulation.

"We're trying to do everything we can to keep the spirit of the hunting tradition alive," says Ed Staback, a Pennsylvania state representative who has proposed legislation that would allow the state's Game Commission to lift Sunday hunting restrictions. He hopes to bring it up for a vote this year.

Eleven states ban hunting on Sunday or restrict it in various ways, such as allowing it only for certain game or in certain locations.

Some bans go as far back as the 1700s and are among the "blue laws" enacted to restrict working, shopping, drinking, dancing and other activities on the Sabbath. Courts have upheld Sunday bans on hunting, according to David Hudson of the First Amendment Center in Nashville.

Several states are considering whether to lift or loosen the bans. Such proposals have come up before, but officials say there is increased momentum.

"There's been some movement on this issue in surrounding states. We are seeing these changes, and of course, states talk to each other," says Bob Duncan, Virginia's Wildlife Division director. "That warrants a fresh look at this."

In November, Virginia will survey 5,000 hunters to see whether its ban should change. Other recent moves:

• Maryland legislators have opened a few Sundays to deer hunting in some counties as a way to control the state's deer population, says Paul Peditto, director of the state's Wildlife and Heritage Service. "When you can increase participation by hunters, they can be successful in reducing deer populations," he says.

• Connecticut's Department of Environmental Protection advocates Sunday hunting in parts of the state that are overpopulated by deer, says Dale May, director of the department's Wildlife Division. A bill passed the Senate this year before stalling. "I'm sure it will be back next year," May says.

• North Carolina is conducting a study on the pros and cons of lifting the Sunday ban. More than 10,000 people have submitted comments, says Richard Hamilton, executive director of the state's Wildlife Resources Commission.

Chris Cox, the National Rifle Association's chief lobbyist, says the bans limit hunting as the sport is losing ground. For every 100 hunters who quit, he says, 69 replace them.

"People have longer workdays. Their personal and family lives are understandably hectic," Cox says. "The weekends provide the only opportunity for the average hunter to enjoy the sport."

Opponents include farm organizations speaking for farmers who want a day of quiet, and bird-watchers who want time outdoors free from gunshots.

"We feel the public is entitled to at least one bullet-free day to stroll through the woods," says Jack Clarke of the Massachusetts Audubon Society.

Clarke says his group isn't anti-hunting, it just wants to preserve one day of "peace and quiet."

Even hunters are split. Andrew Christakos, a North Carolina electrician, says Sunday hunting might lure out-of-state sportsmen, causing crowding and safety problems. Besides, he says, Sunday is a family day.

"I know me," he says. "I might start slipping away from Sunday if I can get into the woods. I might not show up to church on Sunday."

I'm of the opinion that it's a good idea to wear blaze orange and be smart in the woods when you know you're around hunters or in an area where hunting is occuring.

I'm an avid elk & deer hunter and have actually run into a few situations myself where I thought a hunter was going to fire on me when I was hunting (while wearing orange). Sometimes, there's not much you can do.

p.s.:

Currently seven states entirely prohibit hunting on Sunday for wild game; they are Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. All of these states have considered legislation to lift the bans in recent years. Repealing the Sunday hunting bans has been actively supported by the wildlife agencies in Maine and New Jersey.

Four states allow limited Sunday hunting: Maryland allows hunting on two Sundays during deer season; South Carolina allows Sunday hunting on private land only; North Carolina allows Sunday hunting on some federal installations; in 2001 West Virginia enacted legislation that allows Sunday hunting on private land, but each county can hold a referendum to ban Sunday hunting; currently 14 counties allow it.

Does anyone else recognize the geographical pattern here?

Edited by conradv

At the risk of being bashed for posting the same picture in multiple threads. You won't have to worry about hunters wearing this fashionable gear.

media.jpg

Possible scenario:

Hunter sees you and falls out of tree (laughing).

Deer sees you and has heart attack (laughing).

You get the cache.

Grab deer tag from hunter and tag deer.

Get the deer.

Great day caching.

On a serious note: Bow hunters will know you are there way before you spot them regardless of attire, most likely they won't appreciate your presence. During gun season, well you never know, wear blaze orange if you must go out, but it's only a few weeks so why not stay safe and give them their space. Plenty if urban caches around to hunt while staying off state lands that allow hunting. Hunters wait all year for these few weeks while caching is year round, why not just stay out of their way and let them have their game?

I'm of the opinion that it's a good idea to wear blaze orange and be smart in the woods when you know you're around hunters or in an area where hunting is occuring.

I'm an avid elk & deer hunter and have actually run into a few situations myself where I thought a hunter was going to fire on me when I was hunting (while wearing orange). Sometimes, there's not much you can do.

p.s.:

Currently seven states entirely prohibit hunting on Sunday for wild game; they are Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. All of these states have considered legislation to lift the bans in recent years. Repealing the Sunday hunting bans has been actively supported by the wildlife agencies in Maine and New Jersey.

Four states allow limited Sunday hunting: Maryland allows hunting on two Sundays during deer season; South Carolina allows Sunday hunting on private land only; North Carolina allows Sunday hunting on some federal installations; in 2001 West Virginia enacted legislation that allows Sunday hunting on private land, but each county can hold a referendum to ban Sunday hunting; currently 14 counties allow it.

And your point is?

Other than they are part of the first 13 to sign the constitution?

And yes, I grew up in CT & live in DE currently. And yes, I used to hunt deer both with a bow & a shotgun. I used to be part of the NRA & was on my HS NRA 22 caliber rifle team, in addt to be ex military during a war.

And manyu of us here in lower DE will still fight to not allow hunting on sundays, we get enough stupid drunk out of staters 'tourists', let alone ones with guns looking for any property so they can hunt, without permission.

I am used to hunters, have nothing against hunters when they dont threaten me & could care less, until they trepass onto my well posted property, sit in my treestand & threat to kill me because I tell them to get the hell off my property & the hell out of my stand. Which has happened, I've had more guns shoved in my face when I was out of the miltary then I ever did while I was in.

I've had to go to court 3 times to get 3 different people banned from being around me or my property cause they were jerks from a very settled area, saw a field that is lightly posted, said 'what the hell, I'll ignore the signs & go hunt there because there are a lot of deer there & no hunters' so they drove their frickin trucks across the field soybean that was still in, & parked less than 50 ft from my stand on my property & they got all upset when someone told them to get out. B)

I've had idiots sit across the field & use reg (not blackpowder) rifles to hunt, which are illegal here in DE then shoot at my house & near miss my gas tank, one of the reasons we had to spend a few thou to get our tank put underground. And yes, I still have their shells they left behind & a print of their tracks & plate number. They better hope I never get ahold of them, I dont like almost being blown up.

Do I like hunters? Sure, if they are respectful & show a knowledge of knowing how to use their 'arms' & their brains for more than a place to sit on (if you get my meaning). But I dont like hunters who drink while in the stands, shoot their shotguns/bows without knowing their target or destroy crops just so they dont have to walk 50 ft.

I currently hunt my deer with a camera as my family cant eat venison anymore, nor do I wish to kill a doe & the decent bucks hid in the back of my land to be safe. But I'll shoot any fricking hunter that comes onto my property now.

If you think you may be in a hunting area while looking for caches, do the safe thing if you cant or wont leave wear blaze orange as its required in the majority of the states now. I know I'd rather go looking for caches as my during the week time is extremely limited & only sunday can I safely go looking for caches.

Accidents happen & no matter what they can still happen, but then again you could be in the city & get run over by a car/truck/bus just as easily. Such is life nowadays.

By the way do you know most of the feas from hunting licences go back to the state to manage/protect the lands that you like to cache in and hunters like to hunt?

... snip ..

PyroDave

Since the cost of a big game hunting license for residents in New York is only $19.00, I would bet most of the fees from hunting licences go into managing the license bureaucracy and the hunters themselves. I would love to see any numbers that prove otherwise.

By the way do you know most of the feas from hunting licences go back to the state to manage/protect the lands that you like to cache in and hunters like to hunt?

... snip ..

PyroDave

Since the cost of a big game hunting license for residents in New York is only $19.00, I would bet most of the fees from hunting licences go into managing the license bureaucracy and the hunters themselves. I would love to see any numbers that prove otherwise.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/w...fe/worhunt.html

Hunting is among the most popular forms of wildlife recreation in New York State. Nearly 700,000 New Yorkers and over 50,000 nonresidents hunt in the Empire State.

700,000X19=$ 13,300,000 in redident revenue + non resident licence $110x50,000=5,500,000=

18,800,000 in basic licence fees/year. There is also a additional tax on ammo that goes directly to the DEC or some other state agency that manages wildlife. throw in duck stamps that go directly back to the managment of water fowel and a addition donation of $4 you can make for conservation efforts thats a good chunk of change. I can get more precise numbers tomarow when I talk to my proffesor when I go to hunting class ( a 3 credit class that goes over and above the 10hr licencesing class) from what I rember him saying the first day 18mill is rather low.

Those people that regulate hunters are DEC conservation offcers. When there not regulateing us for a small part of the year they are regulateing all the other issues ie illeagel dumping, poaching, destruction of wildlands ect..

I won't even start to go into the benifits to the wildlife that hunters provide.

PyroDave

we get enough stupid drunk out of staters 'tourists', let alone ones with guns looking for any property so they can hunt, without permission.

And somehow allowing folks to hunt on Sunday will make the situation worse? I guess the "stupid drunk tourists" don't hunt on weekdays, huh? Priceless logic.

"Yer Honor, we'd like to outlaw huntin' on Sunday cuz everybody knows folks only trespass on Sundays."

I'm sure there's a Ted Kennedy joke hidden in there somewhere, but I'll abstain from any pointless political smearing. B)

But I'll shoot any fricking hunter that comes onto my property now.

Hey, there's a reasonable solution. B)

Does the law in your locale require blaze orange for non hunters? I am no lawyer and really don't know the laws in my area, but my understanding is blaze orange is only required by law for hunters during certain seasons. Everyone else can do as they please but are encouraged to make themselves as visible as possible.

Rhode Island Law:

"All users of state management areas, and all hunters statewide, must wear at least 200 square inches of solid daylight-fluorescent orange material from the first Saturday of October through the end of the season, February 28."

And yes, I wear it when in one of the management areas. I don't worry too much about the fashion statement. Most people think the hat I normally wear looks goofy anyway. I got mine a Wally-World (real cheap).

And for good measure, here are the dates and limits for Rhode Island.

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Maybe the 'no hunting on Sunday rule,' is so that hikers and others can have a day in the woods, without filling up the emergency rooms. Of course the jerry springer partipant gene pool may not care about what day it is.

Bring lots of batteries for your boom box:

boombox.jpg

Edited by CraigInCT

[rant]Dude, when I read this, I thought it was just your version of humor. Then I realized you were serious! I still wasn't sure if I believed it or not, so I checked. There really are places that don't allow hunting on Sundays. I wonder if they issue calendars to the deer so they know what day it is? Can you even imagine the legislative session that this nonsense stemmed from?

"Ladies & Gentlemen of the Senate, I propose that we ban hunting on Sundays, cuz God says hunting is bad. Do I hear a Second?"

Yeah, when I moved here from the northwest I thought they were joking, too. Has something to do with the Amish owning like half the game lands that we use or something. I'll have to check back into it. Best bet is still to just go online and look at the posted schedules for big game. It's quick, easy and could save your hide.

Fox-and-Hound,

The Amish own a lot of land in PA, but almost all of it is their own farmland in Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks Counties. While they obey their own Sabbath customs they do not believe in interfering with the laws and customs of the English, as they call all non-Amish. Rarely do they go to court or to the legislature to request any changes in the laws. The only ones I can recall hearing of were their requests to allow Amish schools to be separate and to allow education only through 8th grade, and to prevent the need for flashing lights on their buggies (which they lost, and I don't doubt that countless lives have been saved due to that).

PA State Game Lands are owned by the Commonwealth (yes, we are one of two in the country, and yes they are still called "State" Game Lands) and managed by them.

I think that PA's Sunday hunting ban is simply old blue laws continued till the present time. There are areas of PA that I call the "mini-bible belt", and their religious convictions are very strong. It is very hard to get laws prohibiting things such as this repealed when strong groups campaign against them.

Other examples of archaic Pennsylvania blue laws: Sunday car sales are not allowed--there is a major car show and sale in the Farm Show complex in Harrisburg every year and it is open on a Sunday, but you cannot, I repeat CANNOT, entice a salesperson to discuss price on that day. They simply will not do it. Any other day of the show you can walk out owning a vehicle. Beer on Sundays? That came true in PA just this year. The irony is that most of the beer distributers (beer is sold by the case only, by stores licensed to do so) decided that Sunday business would not be worth it and stayed closed. Wine and Liquor is sold in "state stores", owned and run by the state (yes, they should be called "commonwealth stores"). In conjunction with allowing beer distributers to be open on Sundays, wine and liquor stores can also be. The law was actually handled the other way--the liquor stores were going to be open, so they gave beer stores a bone and allowed them to be. Sunday hours at the mall? Unless it is Christmas season, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm is typical, and 5:00 pm closings are not rare.

Hunting season in PA? There are separate seasons for every creature that walks or flies it seems, and for everything you might want to kill them with. I just plan on staying out of the woods until end of year since they run from early October through end of December. Check out PA Hunting Season(s) for the list.

(In case anyone wonders, I am not a hunter, but also am not anti-hunting. You shoot is and gut it and I will be happy to eat it with you. I just don't like to look my own food in the eye. I AM however, anti-idiot, and there are just enough of them out hunting to make me stay home during the various hunting seasons.)

p.s.:

And your point is?

Other than they are part of the first 13 to sign the constitution?

And yes, I grew up in CT & live in DE currently. And yes, I used to hunt deer both with a bow & a shotgun. I used to be part of the NRA & was on my HS NRA 22 caliber rifle team, in addt to be ex military during a war.

And manyu of us here in lower DE will still fight to not allow hunting on sundays, we get enough stupid drunk out of staters 'tourists', let alone ones with guns looking for any property so they can hunt, without permission.

I am used to hunters, have nothing against hunters when they dont threaten me & could care less, until they trepass onto my well posted property, sit in my treestand & threat to kill me because I tell them to get the hell off my property & the hell out of my stand. Which has happened, I've had more guns shoved in my face when I was out of the miltary then I ever did while I was in.

I've had to go to court 3 times to get 3 different people banned from being around me or my property cause they were jerks from a very settled area, saw a field that is lightly posted, said 'what the hell, I'll ignore the signs & go hunt there because there are a lot of deer there & no hunters' so they drove their frickin trucks across the field soybean that was still in, & parked less than 50 ft from my stand on my property & they got all upset when someone told them to get out. :)

I've had idiots sit across the field & use reg (not blackpowder) rifles to hunt, which are illegal here in DE then shoot at my house & near miss my gas tank, one of the reasons we had to spend a few thou to get our tank put underground. And yes, I still have their shells they left behind & a print of their tracks & plate number. They better hope I never get ahold of them, I dont like almost being blown up.

Do I like hunters? Sure, if they are respectful & show a knowledge of knowing how to use their 'arms' & their brains for more than a place to sit on (if you get my meaning). But I dont like hunters who drink while in the stands, shoot their shotguns/bows without knowing their target or destroy crops just so they dont have to walk 50 ft.

I currently hunt my deer with a camera as my family cant eat venison anymore, nor do I wish to kill a doe & the decent bucks hid in the back of my land to be safe. But I'll shoot any fricking hunter that comes onto my property now.

If you think you may be in a hunting area while looking for caches, do the safe thing if you cant or wont leave wear blaze orange as its required in the majority of the states now. I know I'd rather go looking for caches as my during the week time is extremely limited & only sunday can I safely go looking for caches.

Accidents happen & no matter what they can still happen, but then again you could be in the city & get run over by a car/truck/bus just as easily. Such is life nowadays.

First i kinda take offence at the way you lump all hunters into a group of drunks,you said quote<>DE will still fight to not allow hunting on sundays, we get enough stupid drunk out of staters 'tourists', let alone ones with guns looking for any property so they can hunt, without permission.end quote<>

maybe you should say that you have been unfortunate to have your share of bad hunters on your property where (i agree with you ) they do not belong ..BUT! i do not think all hunters are that way and if hunters in DE had more opurtunity to hunt on their weekends maybe they would spend less time drinking and more time hunting. sounds like DE needs better DWI laws not restriction of hunting on Sunday...the law was originaly set inplace to keep people home on the sabbath..which does not apply to me and so therefore i will hunt on Sunday but my state allows it ..BTW i never drink while hunting and i do not tresspass..

Since I do a lot of caching in the wilderness I frequently encounter hunters. I've never bumped into a "scary" hunter yet. They have all been friendly.

The times I didn't enjoy was when I didn't know the location of the hunters but could hear the gun reports which sometimes seemed very, very near. Only once did I ever hear bullets fly by my head and that was when I was at an old creek swimming hole (swimming) and some kids figured that'd be a good place to try out their new 22. I could hear the bullets "tumbling" as they went by my right ear. They were shooting at a milk carton in a tree between me and them. There is a geocache hidden about 500 feet from that location although I wasn't caching at that time.

True hunting stories from many years ago near areas where I was living:

NE Arkansas. A hunter saw what he thought was a deer and shot it. When he approached his kill he found a game warden standing next to his dead horse!

SW Minnesota. During deer season a truck with an animal over the hood was pulled over. It turned out to be a cow. But the hunter did properly dress out and tag his kill!

The only shooting I do these days is with my camera. But invite me over and I'll help eat almost anything that had been shot. <G>

I think twice about some geocaching hides during hunting seasons but I usually go for them anyway if the weather is good.

... snip ..

PyroDave

Hunting is among the most popular forms of wildlife recreation in New York State. Nearly 700,000 New Yorkers and over 50,000 nonresidents hunt in the Empire State.

700,000X19=$ 13,300,000 in redident revenue + non resident licence $110x50,000=5,500,000=

18,800,000 in basic licence fees/year. There is also a additional tax on ammo that goes directly to the DEC or some other state agency that manages wildlife. throw in duck stamps that go directly back to the managment of water fowel and a addition donation of $4 you can make for conservation efforts thats a good chunk of change. I can get more precise numbers tomarow when I talk to my proffesor when I go to hunting class ( a 3 credit class that goes over and above the 10hr licencesing class) from what I rember him saying the first day 18mill is rather low.

Those people that regulate hunters are DEC conservation offcers. When there not regulateing us for a small part of the year they are regulateing all the other issues ie illeagel dumping, poaching, destruction of wildlands ect..

I won't even start to go into the benifits to the wildlife that hunters provide.

PyroDave

While I respect hunters and wouldn't want to interfere with their hunts ( and I stay out of the woods during hunting season to protect my own neck, just in case, you understand), I don't think it's right when people make it seem like hunters have a greater right because they pay a hunter's license, like somehow the woods are theirs.

$18,000,000 may seem like a lot but NYS taxes are among the highest in the country and the $18M is paltry compared tto the over $100 billion NY spends every year. Certainly a lot more is spent than the hunter licenses to puirchase, maintain, and handle all the other services related to the woods. Also, doesn't a swimmer in NYS's Lake George have as much right to use the lake as a fisherman who pays a fishing license. Public land belongs to everyone. Also, the swimmer pays local, state and sales taxes for his motel room or cabin while he's vacationing at the lake, the food he eats in the area, the state gasoline taxes he pays for his drive to the area, etc. The same is true about people who visit woods. Tax money is fungible and those go to the state which then spends the money on the woods upkeep.

I visited PA to hide caches on their State Game Lands. Did PA benefit? They sure did. I visited the state over a weekend, bought food there and motel rooms and paid taxes and contribuited to the economy of PA. I'm sure PA loves the fact that visitors are going to SGL's, whether they cache, bird watch, hike, run naked in the woods or hunt. :unsure:

... snip ..

PyroDave

PyroDave

While I respect hunters and wouldn't want to interfere with their hunts ( and I stay out of the woods during hunting season to protect my own neck, just in case, you understand), I don't think it's right when people make it seem like hunters have a greater right because they pay a hunter's license, like somehow the woods are theirs.

$18,000,000 may seem like a lot but NYS taxes are among the highest in the country and the $18M is paltry compared tto the over $100 billion NY spends every year. Certainly a lot more is spent than the hunter licenses to puirchase, maintain, and handle all the other services related to the woods. Also, doesn't a swimmer in NYS's Lake George have as much right to use the lake as a fisherman who pays a fishing license. Public land belongs to everyone. Also, the swimmer pays local, state and sales taxes for his motel room or cabin while he's vacationing at the lake, the food he eats in the area, the state gasoline taxes he pays for his drive to the area, etc. The same is true about people who visit woods. Tax money is fungible and those go to the state which then spends the money on the woods upkeep.

I visited PA to hide caches on their State Game Lands. Did PA benefit? They sure did. I visited the state over a weekend, bought food there and motel rooms and paid taxes and contribuited to the economy of PA. I'm sure PA loves the fact that visitors are going to SGL's, whether they cache, bird watch, hike, run naked in the woods or hunt. :unsure:

After talking to my teacher today I realized my figures were way off the state estimates that hunters contribute 1mill a day in taxes and fees that go DIRECTLY back to the conservation department not distributed throught the state tax base. All this money can be spent on is concervation. So thats 365 million a year 366 on leap years. They are not including the other money we contribute such as gas lodgeing and food we spend while hunting.

I have never stated that others don't have rights to use the woods. However concidering the amount that hunters contribute directly towrds the protection and upkeep of wild lands in NY people should have some respect for us concidering that we have a very limited amount of time in a year to enjoy our sport. Most hunters I know (I know alot concidering I go to school for envirnomental conservation) don't mind shareing the woods with other people, as long as those people are respectfull of the hunters. Judgeing by some of the posts in this topic and many other posts like this I can't say the same about some cachers.

As for pointing out what a few dumb hunters have done I have seen just as many dumb things done by cachers.

As for labeling hunters as drunks in the woods with guns. Me and any other hunter I go to school with would never think of going hunting drunk. Will I have a beer back in hunting camp after I'm done hunting shure I will but will I ever handle a gun after drink NEVER. Here in NY there are laws about hunting while intoxicated just like DWI laws. Some of the penalties include loss of licence, fines, or jail time.

So next time you see a hunter enjoying his sport try thanking him for contributeing a good amount of money into protecting the lands where you enjoy your hobbie.

PyroDave

After talking to my teacher today I realized my figures were way off the state estimates that hunters contribute 1mill a day in taxes and fees that go DIRECTLY back to the conservation department not distributed throught the state tax base. All this money can be spent on is concervation. So thats 365 million a year 366 on leap years. They are not including the other money we contribute such as gas lodgeing and food we spend while hunting.

PyroDave

Yeah, right. Someone can't even do basic math.

Your teacher says hunters in New York generate 365 million dollars a year in fees and taxes that go directly back to the conservation department. Assume there are 1 million licensed hunters in NY. That means each hunter spends 365 dollars a year on fees and taxes. If they pay on average, $65 dollars for fees and licenses, that means every hunter pays $300 a year in special taxes that go directly to the DEC. Now assume the tax rate, beyond state sales tax is 10% on whatever hunters buy. That means that each hunter must spend $3,450 to be taxed that $300. So each hunter must spend $3,515.00, in fees, and special taxable items such as ammunition to generate that $365 million. That works out to a total expenditure by hunters of 3.65 billion dollars a year in the state of New York alone.

Perhaps my math is off, so feel free to show these numbers to your teacher. I would love to read the response.

BTW, you must have purchased ammunition in New York. What percent is the DEC tax on a box of shells?

First let me say I disagree with a cache being placed in an area that will be hunted, it's not safe for a "cache hunter" and not considerate to the "deer hunter". I do occasionally still deer hunt and know that while I consider myself and most of the people I have hunted with to be safe hunters, I never took a shot at a "noise" without first identifying my target, and while i'm sure some might...most don't. And I do agree with some of the other posts on here that if I were the one sitting in that tree stand for hours waiting for a deer to pass by, I personally wouldn't shoot someone for walking by, but I certainly wouldn't be happy about it either. Hunters go to great lengths to either attract a deer or to conceal to the deer that they are there, and as soon as you walk into the woods, you may have just spooked a deer that he has stalked for hours, at the least you have left your scent and made enough noise so that no deer around would come near.

But, if there is a cache on hunted land, and you feel you must find it during hunting season, please do go and purchase a hunter orange vest, and possibly a hat, they aren't very expensive compared to coming across that "one" really ticked off and unusually dangerous hunter that shoots you for just being there or just by accident because he missed his target and took the shot only because there was noone seen in the path behind his target.

Oh, and yes, that hunter will likely know you are there way before you see him/her. If you're lucky you may just pass by him and never know he/she was there.

This weekend I ran into 3 bowhunters on different trails here in NH. These guys were seriously camo'd and looking a lot like Rambo. I was dressed like a typical hiker in jeans, boots, backpack and treking poles

It's pretty rare to bump into anyone in the woods around here (except during an FTF hunt), so seeing these guys gave me a a bit of startle. I have noted a few caches around here have suggested wearing ORANGE during hunting season. This is my first season caching during the fall; I'm guessing it's OPEN SEASON.

I found a couple of light safety orange vests at Walmart for like $4 each. They get the job done, you can just throw it over your jacket or whatever.

i've also got a hat, and recently picked up a safety orange fleece for cheap money at Reny's up in Maine. I figured the lfeece would be good for me as I tend to always be hot wearing full winter gear while hiking. Besides, it has pockets. :)

Fox-and-Hound,

The Amish own a lot of land in PA, but almost all of it is their own farmland in Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks Counties. While they obey their own Sabbath customs they do not believe in interfering with the laws and customs of the English, as they call all non-Amish. Rarely do they go to court or to the legislature to request any changes in the laws. The only ones I can recall hearing of were their requests to allow Amish schools to be separate and to allow education only through 8th grade, and to prevent the need for flashing lights on their buggies (which they lost, and I don't doubt that countless lives have been saved due to that).

PA State Game Lands are owned by the Commonwealth (yes, we are one of two in the country, and yes they are still called "State" Game Lands) and managed by them.

Cool, thanks! I had heard something about the original laws banning hunting having to do with the lending of massive amounts of land for game use. I don't recall where, I'm asking around now though. Oh, I think there are still 4 Commonwealths (Massachusetts, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Virginia) out of 7 original Commonwealths though. I live here and I don't have the slightest idea what the difference is. :)

We'll definitely be laying off the gameland caching except Sundays until December I'm sure. :)

Also, in some states it is required that one wears hunter orange when in a hunting area during hunting season even if one is not a hunter. Besides.. it's the safe thing to do.

i'm astounded by the number of pepole I see on trails during hunting season NOT wearing any orange. I saw some people once that had the sense to put an orange bandana on their dog's neck and they were wearing brown. :)

None of the guys I saw in the woods were wearing a speck of orange. They were in full camo, even their faces were painted. These wern't full gilly suits, but they were pretty close.

Mooseplate_thanks.gif

In the state I live in, you must wear orange going to and from a tree stand and any other time you are on the ground, but once in a stand, I think 12 ft. high, you no longer have to wear the orange.

Edited by J&W602639