Hunters in the woods

markp99

This weekend I ran into 3 bowhunters on different trails here in NH. These guys were seriously camo'd and looking a lot like Rambo. I was dressed like a typical hiker in jeans, boots, backpack and treking poles

It's pretty rare to bump into anyone in the woods around here (except during an FTF hunt), so seeing these guys gave me a a bit of startle. I have noted a few caches around here have suggested wearing ORANGE during hunting season. This is my first season caching during the fall; I'm guessing it's OPEN SEASON.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dayglow orange atire? I really don;t want anything too bulky or heavy, but I also don;t want to be mistaken for a black bear or a deer. I hear those razor-tipped arrows are SHARP. <_<

I've also thought to make human-like noises while deep in the woods - whistling, banging pots & pans, whatever.

Any ideas to help me keep from beeing SHOT while hunting for tupperware filled with wet stinky geojunk?

Thanks!

bow hunters aren't too bad, you aren't likely to be shot by one of those. shotgun hunters tend to shoot at anything that moves though.

for ease and cheapness, I'd reccommend a blaze orange baseball hat and vest. should do the trick.

I'd still avoid heavy hunting areas after dinner though.

Go to the sporting goods section of your nearest big box discount store. Buy a light orange hunters vest that you can wear over your regular clothing. I carry mine in my backpack on any day when my caching travels may take me to an area where hunting is permitted. An orange hat is also a wise purchase. In Pennsylvania, for example, the regulation for State Game Lands require that 150 square inches of orange be worn on the body AND head during prime hunting season, even if you're not hunting.

Stick to dirt roads whenever possible and, failing that, stick to established trails as much as possible. Shooting near or across the road is illegal, at least where I live.

I wouldn't advise making a TON of noise, as this annoys some hunters. They will likely notice you based just on background noise and movement, and you should keep your eyes open for them. Don't forget to look up for tree stands, especially near ground zero!

Take a few minutes to read through your state's hunting regulations, especially those governing non-hunters while present on hunting lands. For example, I can't ride my mountain bike in those areas until spring.

Just a few tips from a former deer hunter who now prefers to bag ammo cans 'cause there's no limit.

You can buy blaze orange 'safety vests' at big-box stores. These are basically very thin nylon vests that go over whatever you are wearing. This lets you adjust your regular clothing to the temperature and still be very visible in the woods.

For a hat (which I also recommend), you'll prolly hafta buy a blaze hat, either a baseball style or a warmer one if you wish.

I would be more worried about deer season (when longer range firearms are in use). Bow hunters have to be 'fairly close' to make their hit.

EDIT: Ack, too slow for teh hamster loving Irish midget.

EDITEDIT: To add to what Lep said, you can get Official NH State hunting booklets anywhere that sells hunting licenses - free of charge (last I knew they were free).

Edited by New England n00b

Well the good news is that off the cuff shots are not the norm for bowhunters. To ensure a quick effective harvest, carefull shot placement requires the hunter to wait for the best shot and to pass on low percentage shots. This makes target identification very important. An orange hat and vest should make it impossible to be mistaken for deer. As far as making noise, i'd go with bear bells, as long as your moving your making sounds that only a human would want to make. Now if go around making lots of noise and scare off the wildlife then you may have to deal with a whole different beast, a pissed off hunter.

Wearing orange is a great idea.

Another trick is to attach a small bell to each shoe. When you are walking it makes a light jingle that not only alerts hunters to your presence, but also spooks off bears, cougars etc.

*side note*

Q. How can you tell cougar poo from bear poo?

A. Bear poo has two small bells in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dayglow orange atire? I really don;t want anything too bulky or heavy, but I also don;t want to be mistaken for a black bear or a deer. I hear those razor-tipped arrows are SHARP. <_<

Any ideas to help me keep from beeing SHOT while hunting for tupperware filled with wet stinky geojunk?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

There are 2 types of hunters in the world. Those who don't shoot at a target unless they can clearly see it and take proper aim and the idiots who shoot at any noise they hear in the brush.

The first group, fortunately, represent 99.9% of all hunters. The latter group are so stupid they would shoot you even if you were in the middle of a clearing wearing strobe lights and then tell the police they thought you were a rabbit.

If you are concerned about accidently getting shot then I would stay well away from hunting lands during hunting seasons. Otherwise I would just go about my business as usual.

At this time of year in the area I live it it is pretty much expected to hear gunfire while caching. Just the way it is and I don't recall ever hearing about a cacher getting shot. I am sure it has or will eventually happen, but the odds are probably less than getting hit by lightening (guessing) so I wouldn't bother buying orange stuff that you wouldn't wear otherwise. Of course if you want to guarantee you don't get shot you could simply carry a boom box with you and blast 'turdy point buck' as you cache. That will have hunters on the ground rolling around laughing too hard to take aim at you.

Edited by DaveA

shotgun hunters tend to shoot at anything that moves

I find that highly offensive and obviously based in ignorance.

Well the good news is that off the cuff shots are not the norm for bowhunters.

Nor are they the norm for any hunter

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

-snip-

I wouldn't bother buying orange stuff that you wouldn't wear otherwise.

The most important reason for wearing blaze orange is not to prevent a hunter from mistaking you for game. The most important reason is to make sure a hunter can see you, even when he is not aiming at you. Although people like to tell stories about a friend of a friend who shoots at everything that moves, these people are few and far between. What you need to be cautious of is the fact that bullets travel great distances, and can kill at long range. When a hunter is lining up a shot, he will check behind the target for anything that doesn't want to be shot, like other hunters or hikers, etc. You being in blaze orange increases the chances that he will see you.

Example: On my very first hunt, I spied a group of doe moving along a creekside in front of me maybe 50 yards away. They were lower than me being nearer to the creek and I being slightly uphill from them. Behind the doe the terrain sloped up again and made a perfect backstop. Everything was perfect except I could see a tiny spot of blaze orange through the leaves and brush about 150 yards beyond the deer and a good chunk to the right. Another hunter had taken up a spot on the other side of the creek. He was so far through the brush, that only the smallest spot of his orange was visible to me, and I had to move my head around to keep seeing it as the leaves moved in the breeze.

Like I said, I was on higher ground than the deer, and so was the other hunter. Looking right at him, I was looking 10 feet over the deer's back, and maybe 20 feet to the right (20 feet at the deer's distance, so maybe 80 at the man's distance).

First time hunting, first deer to approach me on my first day hunting, good distance, standing broadside to me, doesn't see me or smell me. . . did I take the shot? Heck no!

Would I have taken the shot if that hunter hadn't been wearing orange? Yes, I would never have known he was there.

If I had taken the shot, would he have been in danger? Not grave, immediate, absolute danger, but too much danger to be justified by the taking of a stupid deer.

There are 2 types of hunters in the world. Those who don't shoot at a target unless they can clearly see it and take proper aim and the idiots who shoot at any noise they hear in the brush.

The first group, fortunately, represent 99.9% of all hunters.

Thank you

The most important reason for wearing blaze orange is not to prevent a hunter from mistaking you for game. The most important reason is to make sure a hunter can see you, even when he is not aiming at you.

Very valid point, I stand corrected.

Also, in some states it is required that one wears hunter orange when in a hunting area during hunting season even if one is not a hunter. Besides.. it's the safe thing to do.

The most important reason for wearing blaze orange is not to prevent a hunter from mistaking you for game. The most important reason is to make sure a hunter can see you, even when he is not aiming at you.

Very valid point, I stand corrected.

Also, in some states it is required that one wears hunter orange when in a hunting area during hunting season even if one is not a hunter. Besides.. it's the safe thing to do.

It may be the safest thing to do, but I don't think anyone will argue that it isn't very fashionable. Blaze orange isn't really anyone's most flattering color.

There are now many high end flashlights at bargain prices available. One such type has a flash/strobe mode. I would rather carry a flashlight with strobe function than wear blaze orange while caching.

In all likelyhood the strobe is more readily seen, even during the day. These units such as the Princeton Tec Eco Flare run around 10 dollars or less.

They are darn near impossible to not see, even though heavy brush.

Blood red isn't very fashionable either. I think I'll follow the law and wear the orange vest instead

Does the law in your locale require blaze orange for non hunters? I am no lawyer and really don't know the laws in my area, but my understanding is blaze orange is only required by law for hunters during certain seasons. Everyone else can do as they please but are encouraged to make themselves as visible as possible.

Personally I don't worry about it. I just go caching when the mood strikes and wear whatever I am wearing. I don't own anything blaze orange and have no desire to. It is sort of a fashion blunder and everyone knows you have to look good when hunting treasure buckets in the woods.

Edited by DaveA

When I was a hunter of wild game, I had an experience like BigWhiteTruck. The deer were less than 40 yards away, looking away from me. Then I saw what they were looking at, a hunter walking down a dirt road. I wouldn't have taken a shot even if it was a turdy point buck. (It was probably a 10 point and would have been my first deer)

The deer around here are most active between sunset and sunrise, so it would probably be safer to go out in the middle of the day, except for the small game hunters.

People who don't see Stoplights, Stop signs or Yield signs while driving, shouldn't be walking around in the woods during hunting season either.

Blood red isn't very fashionable either. I think I'll follow the law and wear the orange vest instead

Does the law in your locale require blaze orange for non hunters? I am no lawyer and really don't know the laws in my area, but my understanding is blaze orange is only required by law for hunters during certain seasons. Everyone else can do as they please but are encouraged to make themselves as visible as possible.

Personally I don't worry about it. I just go caching when the mood strikes and wear whatever I am wearing. I don't own anything blaze orange and have no desire to. It is sort of a fashion blunder and everyone knows you have to look good when hunting treasure buckets in the woods.

I like to wear a fur coat and strap an old set of antlers to my head. Gotta add some adventure to my day.

None of the guys I saw in the woods were wearing a speck of orange. They were in full camo, even their faces were painted. These wern't full gilly suits, but they were pretty close.

I checked NH's seasons, and I offer the following as a PSA:

April 29 - April 30 Youth turkey-hunting weekend

May 3 - May 31 Spring gobbler season (wild turkey)

Sept. 1 - November Black bear/end dates vary for method and WMU

Sept. 2006 - Jan. 2007 Waterfowl/dates vary by species and zone

Sept. 23 - Sept. 24 Youth waterfowl weekend (preliminary date)

Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Deer/archery (end dates may vary by WMU)

Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Fall turkey/archery

Oct. 16 - Oct. 20 Fall turkey/shotgun (in certain WMUs only)

Sept. 2006 - March 2007 Small game/dates vary by species and region

Oct. 1 - Dec. 31 Pheasant

Oct. 21- Oct. 29 Moose (by permit only)

Oct. 21 - Oct. 22 Youth deer-hunting weekend

Oct. 28 - Nov. 7 Deer/muzzleloader

Nov. 8 - Dec. 3 Deer/firearms (note -- closes Nov. 26 in WMU A)

Mooseplate_thanks.gif

None of the guys I saw in the woods were wearing a speck of orange. They were in full camo, even their faces were painted. These wern't full gilly suits, but they were pretty close.

bow hunters usually aren't required to wear blaze orange.

be careful if you see this guy

<_<

(yes, I'm a hunter and anyone who says all hunters, especially shotgun hunters are careful is lying to you.)

Edited by Bad_CRC

The law in my State (Pennsylvania) requires non-hunters to wear blaze orange during peak hunting season when present on State hunting lands, except on Sunday when hunting is not allowed. I've seen people get citations for not wearing orange, even though they weren't hunting. I've seen people get citations for not wearing an orange hat, just an orange jacket, while hunting.

So, your fashion sense can get you fined in Pennsylvania.

The laws vary from one state to another, so take care to check the local laws if you are roadtripping. Regardless of the laws, I pull out my orange vest whenever I see hunters, hear gunfire or am present on government-owned property during hunting season. It's just good sense.

Whenever a serious topic comes up, the left always comes out of the wood work, and turns these threads into a political jokes, aimed at Republicans <_<

Why don't you stick to the subject, rather then interject polictics?

I wouldn't be alarmed seeing law abiding citizens, engaging in a legal activity, such as hunting. I see no shame in wearing Blaze Orange, during hunting season. I might skip the area during rifle season though.

Whenever a serious topic comes up, the left always comes out of the wood work, and turns these threads into a political jokes, aimed at Republicans <_<

a discussion of whether someone should be worried that a careless hunter would accidentally shoot a person.

A very fitting and appropriate example would be dick cheney. Totally appropriate example by any measure.

yet the tighty righties get their panties in a bunch that someone would dare bring it up, then try to twist it into a political thing and intimidate people into silence just because the guy who shot someone in the face is also a politician they worship, though they would have no problem if any other celebrity had done it.

typical. lighten up.

edit: pick a better, more recent celebrity example and we'll use that so you don't have to make this all political just because a celebrity was mentioned when you didn't want him to be.

Edited by Bad_CRC
a discussion of whether someone should be worried that a careless hunter would accidentally shoot a person.

A very fitting and appropriate example would be dick cheney. Totally appropriate example by any measure.

This is what you wrote:

bow hunters usually aren't required to wear blaze orange.

be careful if you see this guy.

In one sentence you connected bowhunters with Dick Cheney by using a pic found on a "Surrender Monkey" website. By the way, not all republicans love Bush or Cheney, once again you made an ASSumption.

You paint all hunters with a broad brush by calling them Careless Hunters. Ted Kennedy's Car has killed 2 people whereas my firearms, as well as those of the majority of hunters, have killed none.

Edited by Kit Fox

I am trying in this thread to give accurate, relevant information and informed opinions about geocaching in hunting areas. It is an important subject. Please don't derail it -- could you take your political differences and move them to PM's or the Off Topic Forum? Better yet, don't bring it up in the first place. It's a geocaching forum.

if you are qiet and do not disturbe thegame ,just wear clothing that,sticks out well and be quiet making noise will get them mad at you while just strolling through the woods will most likely not even get you a second glance.But if you bang pots and pans together someone will be very upset you are ruining their outdoor oppurtunity..their is plenty of room for both as long as both sides show respect for the other.

Lets see now, the question was:

"Does anyone have any suggestions for dayglow orange atire? I really don;t want anything too bulky or heavy, but I also don;t want to be mistaken for a black bear or a deer. I hear those razor-tipped arrows are SHARP."

How could anyone think that an accidental shooting of a hunting companion on a bird hunt, the companion standing nearby and in full sight, has anything to do with proper dayglow attire to wear in the woods? Only someone who knows absolutely nothing about hunting, or someone with a political axe to grind would bring that into this discussion.

Now for the question asked. Orange or red attire is a good idea, but not a guarantee that you won't catch a bullet. There are a very few novice hunters out there who may shoot without identifying their target. Also be advised that a bullet from a rifle can carry for a mile or more. So my advice would be:

1. Avoid walking in the woods, especially off-trail, on opening day of deer season or at other times that hunting activity is heavy. Hunters are usually most active in the early morning. It is illegal for non-hunters to be in some hunting areas on days when hunts are scheduled ... check with management agencies.

2. Wear Orange or red. This may be a legal requirement in some areas. But remember, bullets don't see and they can travel long distances. Some hunting areas only allow shotguns ... these are safer because the gun has limited range.

3. If you think hunters may be nearby, make some noise (talk loudly, yell at a non-existant buddy). Don't worry about ruining things for the hunters ... your presence has already done that ... the deer already know you are there and are far away by now.

be careful if you see this guy

Kit Fox, don't worry about his pathetic attempt at political commentary. Truth is, I can't find anyone who wouldn't rather go hunting with that guy than go for a drive with Ted Kennedy! The proven odds of survival are much better with Cheney, just ask Mary Jo.

The same people who say that you would never be shot by a careless hunter have a fit when a perfect example of that is brought up.

yes, I'm ever so sorry your god was offended, how dare someone speak his name in vain even when completely appropriate to the example. You people continue to love wrapping yourself in the flag while pissing all over what it used to stand for. "Crush anyone who dare speak an opinion we don't like!! We'll make everything a political flamewar even when it has nothing to do with it."

Facts are you are less likely to be shot by a bow hunter, by nature they must be more sure of their target, and anyone who has been around hunting knows this. I've been hunting both sides since I was a teenager, pretty clear that those who disagree just don't know any better because they have not. Bow hunters aren't required to wear blaze because of this, if you dispute it, take it up with your own lawmakers.

Truth is, I can't find anyone who wouldn't rather go hunting with that guy than go for a drive with Ted Kennedy! The proven odds of survival are much better with Cheney, just ask Mary Jo.

See, that's the difference between people like you, and the rest of the planet.

If someone killed a guy (or woman) from drunk driving I'd see it as nothing more than an appropriate example in a topic about drunk driving, and probably completely agree with it, ...not get all foxnews and try to start an unrelated political flamewar because that person happened to be a politician that I was programmed to follow mindlessly.

But then, I don't expect your type to understand that logic.

I'll try and avoid Bad CRC's political slander fest. <_<

A couple true hunting stories, brought to you from the Riffster Clan;

1) Opening day of general gun season here in Florida. I'm 30' up a pine tree with my Mini-30. It's about 6:30am. My attention is directed toward a game trail where I've been watching a lot of deer activity, with a lot of movement between 5:00am and 8:00am. I hear something walking down the trail, which gets my ears pricked up. Swivel my rifle in the general direction so I won't have to move it far to take aim, full concentration on the area where the noise is coming from. I can see flashes of tan & white through the leaves. Heartbeat increases. Double check rifle; safety on, magazine firmly in place, rear site flipped up....waiting....

The noise is a hiker wearing a tan jacket with a wool collar. I didn't see his orange vest till he stepped out from behind the bushes into my line of sight. At that moment, I thanked God that I learned never shoot unless you're sure of what you're shooting at.

Moral? Orange vests won't save you from careless hunters.

2) Dove season, again, in Florida. I'm in an orange grove hunting dove. To my North is another group of dove hunters. I'm wearing an orange vest, even though it's not required. Someone in the group to our North opens up on a dove, and the pellets from his shotgun strafe my thighs. Ouch!

Moral? Orange vests won't save you from careless hunters.

That being said, you should understand that careless people represent a very minor percentage of the total. The percentage is so low, you could probably wander the woods wearing fur and antlers without risking harm. I personally feel it's a good idea to wear orange if you're in the woods during hunting season. It'll certainly make you more visible. Something I do is to check for vehicles as I'm driving into the woods, so I can avoid those areas where hunters might be. While it's true that I have every bit as much right to hunt Tupperware as they do to hunt Bambi, I know that I can always come back later, while the deer hunter only has a limited season.

Kit, my sister is a bleeding heart. We were testing tactical plates against buckshot, and I took the resulting T-shirt full of holes and wrote, "I went hunting with Dick Cheney and all I got was this lousy shirt" across the front. I mailed it to her. She laughed her butt off. <_<

If someone killed a guy (or woman) from drunk driving I'd see it as nothing more than an appropriate example in a topic about drunk driving, and probably completely agree with it, ...not get all foxnews and try to start an unrelated political flamewar because that person happened to be a politician that I was programmed to follow mindlessly.

But then, I don't expect your type to understand that logic.

The odds of running into Dick Cheney in the woods are far less than your chance of being hit by lightning, or being eaten by a predator. One, you wouldn't get anywhere near him, thanks to the Secret Service, and two, there aren't any geocaches in the areas he hunts (private ranches.) This negates any comparison to the topic at hand. BTW, the VP made a stupid and careless mistake. Again, you falsely assume that all Republicans blindly follow the current admin, and you are wrong!

Back to the topic at hand.

Where Blaze Orange, avoid opening day, abide by the rules of the area, and have fun geocaching.

you falsely assume that all Republicans blindly follow the current admin, and you are wrong!

Oh yea, the massive personal attacks and namecalling on us in this thread when 2 people mentioned the name of a celebrity bad hunter who shot someone in the face because he happened to be a republican sure proved your point. yep. No mindless following going on at all.

<_<

you falsely assume that all Republicans blindly follow the current admin, and you are wrong!

Oh yea, the massive personal attacks and namecalling on us in this thread when 2 people mentioned the name of a celebrity bad hunter who shot someone in the face because he happened to be a republican sure proved your point. yep. No mindless following going on at all.

<_<

How about taking this portion of the 'discussion' to off topic?

And exactly one post later..............

You paint all hunters with a broad brush by calling them Careless Hunters. Ted Kennedy's Car has killed 2 people whereas my firearms, as well as those of the majority of hunters, have killed none.

How funny! Doing exactly what you falsely accuse others of.

Hey Kit Fox, check your credibility meter, it is getting close to zero.

How about taking this portion of the 'discussion' to off topic?

I already tried that, and it didn't work:

Whenever a serious topic comes up' date=' the left always comes out of the wood work, and turns these threads into a political jokes, aimed at Republicans

[b']Why don't you stick to the subject, rather then interject polictics?[/b]

I got accused of defending the current administration, rather than sticking to the topic at hand. Bad CRC wouldn't let up, and I fell for his trap. I should have taken the high road, and omitted the reference to Ted Kennedy. <_<

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, "Hunters in the woods."

I would check with state laws about hunter orange. In the very least wear an orange hat. You can get one for about 2bucks and keep it in your swag sack. Also be aware of the noise you make as many states have laws governing harrassing hunters in the woods. If you walk around yelling and banging pots, it could be you are considered harrasing. Bear bells I think would be fine. My biggest suggestion is as was stated here before, don't cache on opening day or weekends. Less chance of getting shot that way <_<

You could just take Lil' KiwiHopeful with you ... there's no way anyone would NOT hear you coming. <_<

Seriously, you can buy a hat and vest combo at Wal-Mart (and yes, I absolutely had shopping there too) for about $10 or an el cheepo orange vest for $.97. (Sadly, I don't think Costco sells them.)

Edited by KiwiHopeful

Shoot first! :anibad:

Kidding aside, my daughter and I wore orange caps on the last day of turkey season in PA while hiding caches in State Game Lands. I admit I was a little nervous.

Thing I can't figure out is why hunters wear camoflage clothes and camo face paint. Does it really help? I mean years ago hunters wore normal clothes. Seems like they're just trying to make a statement with camo.

Shoot first! :anibad:

Kidding aside, my daughter and I wore orange caps on the last day of turkey season in PA while hiding caches in State Game Lands. I admit I was a little nervous.

Thing I can't figure out is why hunters wear camoflage clothes and camo face paint. Does it really help? I mean years ago hunters wore normal clothes. Seems like they're just trying to make a statement with camo.

I won't even walk around my own woods and fields during hunting season without wearing orange. I'm not worried about the hunters I allow in, it's the ones who could potentially sneak in that I worry about because I won't know where they are. Regardless of legal requirments wearing Blaze orange is just a smart precaution to take.

And I also think all that camo is a waste, I always wore the same clothes hunting that I wore to work, deer would walk right up as if I were invisible. I even reloaded my muzzleloader in full veiw of a watching doe stading 30 yards away, after I had shot and downed her partner, and it wasn't until I started walking that she spooked and ran.

Boy oh boy. . .

To the OP: Just head to your local sporting store and peruse the orange attire. Reversible stuff is all the rage now it seems. Orange on one side, solid or camo on the other. Vests, hats, even gloves. I have a nice vest that is orange and camo with lots of big pockets. That would be great for caching except I don't really wear camo outside of hunting.

Someone mentioned wearing red instead of orange. . . not a really good idea, especially during turkey season!

The first group, fortunately, represent 99.9% of all hunters. The latter group are so stupid they would shoot you even if you were in the middle of a clearing wearing strobe lights and then tell the police they thought you were a rabbit.

:D;):D

Just the thing I needed to read before hunting season next weekend :anibad:

This weekend I ran into 3 bowhunters on different trails here in NH. These guys were seriously camo'd and looking a lot like Rambo. I was dressed like a typical hiker in jeans, boots, backpack and treking poles

Hunters and non-hunters have equal rights to use public land but McToys aren't really worth getting shot over, either. Unless your local laws tell you to stay out of certain areas during hunting season, dress in orange and use common sense. Hunters are more active at dawn and dusk. Be aware that wearing orange will give away a cache location much quicker than normal hiking attire.

A side note: We were hiking Saturday with our German Shorthaired Pointer and he suddenly went on-point. The subject of his attention? Two bow hunters in camo coming down the trail. He had never encountered people that looked like vegetation before and it freaked him out. :rolleyes: