Annual Cache types?

ThePropers

With all the recent discussion around APEs and how special they are, it got me thinking.

I believe the only reason APEs are popular is because of the special icon...I mean, if it wasn't it's own cache type, separate from traditional, the caches wouldn't be nearly as popular.

So, with that in mind, and that we also have "yearly" travel bugs (like the Jeep TBs), has there ever been any discussion about "special" caches with their own icon that might only be active for a certain timeframe?

I am thinking something along the same lines of APEs, but sponsored by Geocaching.com/Groundspeak. Maybe hide 20 of them across the country (using volunteers), give them their own special icon, and then name them (for example), "2007 Groundspeak Cache #1 - #20". I'm sure a better name could be decided on though.

Maybe load them up with cool Groundspeak swag, or a way to get a t-shirt or something for finding it.

Make them active for a year, then have the volunteers go clean them up, and then hide another 20 for 2008 using different volunteers in different areas of the country.

Basically it would be the same concept as the APEs, except not sponsored by a lousy remake of a classic movie.

Just an idea that popped into my head. Feel free to rip it apart and kick sand in my face.

Edited by ThePropers

I gotta be honest and say that when I read your idea as you wrote it... I don't like it. Not at all. I think it's really silly to make an icon for an icon's sake. Just as I think it's silly to place a cache just for the sake of placing a cache. Your idea seems to promote both. Also, you seemed to forget that geocaching is a worldwide game.

However, I'm not a total pessimist. You've sparked a spin-off idea in my head that may achieve kind of what you're looking for.

A small number of existing caches could be selected each year as the best-of-the-best. Although I think collecting icons is really silly, perhaps these best-of-the-best caches could be given a special icon during their reign, and folks who find those special caches would get the icon.

This would encourage people to hide good caches, recognize them for it, and give a finders a good goal of finding great caches. I think there is a disappointing lack of good-cache promotion on this site, and it shows.

Who would selet which caches are the best of the best? Not sure... Groundspeak itself? Maybe a committee selected or elected?

But I could go for an icon for those special 0.1% of the very best hides out there. I could see myself (and others) planning long-distance trips for the sole purpose of nabbing a very special cache recognized as one of the best.

Jamie

I gotta be honest and say that when I read your idea as you wrote it... I don't like it. Not at all. I think it's really silly to make an icon for an icon's sake. Just as I think it's silly to place a cache just for the sake of placing a cache. Your idea seems to promote both. Also, you seemed to forget that geocaching is a worldwide game.

However, I'm not a total pessimist. You've sparked a spin-off idea in my head that may achieve kind of what you're looking for.

A small number of existing caches could be selected each year as the best-of-the-best. Although I think collecting icons is really silly, perhaps these best-of-the-best caches could be given a special icon during their reign, and folks who find those special caches would get the icon.

This would encourage people to hide good caches, recognize them for it, and give a finders a good goal of finding great caches. I think there is a disappointing lack of good-cache promotion on this site, and it shows.

Who would selet which caches are the best of the best? Not sure... Groundspeak itself? Maybe a committee selected or elected?

But I could go for an icon for those special 0.1% of the very best hides out there. I could see myself (and others) planning long-distance trips for the sole purpose of nabbing a very special cache recognized as one of the best.

Jamie

I like the best of the best idea. I like it alot.

With all the recent discussion around APEs and how special they are, it got me thinking.

I believe the only reason APEs are popular is because of the special icon...I mean, if it wasn't it's own cache type, separate from traditional, the caches wouldn't be nearly as popular.

I agree somewhat, there is certainly some interest in collect all the icons. However, I also think part of the attraction is that the APE caches are popular and seen as a common ground/benchmark of sorts, but not stictly because of the icon. "All the best micro hunters around have found needle in a haystack number 4 you know"

If you go to 'pizza night event' and ask What's a (great puzzle, difficult micro, super view) cache around town? (...Or around this part of the state? ...or around the whole state? ...or maybe around the 'region'?) You'll get some answers... and the named caches are probably really good in your choosen catagory, they also have the reputation as being really good! Even the cachers that haven't done the cache, (or haven't completed them) can probably tell you what the 'hardest' cache in town is <_< . In a similar the APE caches are 'must do' even if there are other just as good trads around them.

I agree somewhat, there is certainly some interest in collect all the icons. However, I also think part of the attraction is that the APE caches are popular and seen as a common ground/benchmark of sorts, but not stictly because of the icon. "All the best micro hunters around have found needle in a haystack number 4 you know"

If you go to 'pizza night event' and ask What's a (great puzzle, difficult micro, super view) cache around town? (...Or around this part of the state? ...or around the whole state? ...or maybe around the 'region'?) You'll get some answers... and the named caches are probably really good in your choosen catagory, they also have the reputation as being really good! Even the cachers that haven't done the cache, (or haven't completed them) can probably tell you what the 'hardest' cache in town is <_< . In a similar the APE caches are 'must do' even if there are other just as good trads around them.

Yes, I should've elaborated on that, but you seem to understand the concept I was trying to convey. The APEs are not popular because of the container, or the logbook, or the location, or the trade items. They are popular because they are in their own category, and thus a "benchmark" of sorts that cachers try to get at least one of. As someone else said, people plan vacations around getting one, or drive hundreds of miles out of their way to get one....just to be able to say "I did an APE cache"

I was just sitting around thinking about that and realized that popularity should be easy enough to recreate by just creating a new category, but controlling the number of caches in that category. And a Groundspeak sponsored cache with Groundspeak goodies or being entered for a prize for finding one does have a certain appeal to me.

I know I would be all up for going after a cache that was a new category (same as I ran out to get a Benchmark and an Earthcache before they went away, and the same as I planned a trip to get an APE, and the same as I make sure to find at least one Jeep TB each year).

It was just a thought that popped into my head that I figured I'd throw out for consideration. I'm kindof indifferent on it, but I'd still be going to get one if anything like this was ever implemented.

Edited by ThePropers