South Wales 2007 event in advanced planning.

Last year Write & Mane organised a super first ever South Wales event at Parc Cwm Darren near Bargoed and everyone that attended said they had a terrific time. After W & M said they would like someone else have a go at arranging next years event, Lynne and Derry decided to step in the breach. After a chat with managers at Dare Valley Country Park, near Aberdare we now have the full go ahead to hold the event there on Saturday, 5 May 2007.

We decided on Dare Valley because its location is as near as perfect for an event. The park has a heritage centre, a café that serves full lunches and breakfast, there is a hotel on site, a camping area for tents with soft lighting, a hard standing caravan area for tourists with electric hook up, and full shower and washroom facilities with the use of a laundry. The park has 500 hectares of land, Aberdare is within a very short distance away, and with 2 large supermarkets, plenty of watering holes, restaurants etc so we are sure many visitors will make use of the town. If you get the time there is also horse riding if you fancy some time in the saddle. Nearby to the North are the Brecon Beacons where many caches are for those cachers that like a challenge, while just over the mountain lies the beautiful Rhondda Valley. Within 15 miles there are over 120 caches as of today. Within an hours drive from the park are the cities of Cardiff and Swansea, and the Gower heritage coast.

We will be hiring a conference room at the park to greet cachers and visitors in the morning. We have also negotiated terms that mean those pre booking before the end of March will be able to pay 2006 prices. In the evening it will be get together time with a barbecue if the weather allows. Not forgetting goodies that will be run in the raffle. For those that would like a sneak look at the choice of venue visit http://www.cynonvalley.co.uk/dvcp2/

Very very tempting I must say.I would recommend booking early as.....The touring caravan and camping site offers twenty five hard standings and ten level grass pitches for tents,plus 15 hotel bedrooms.We'd probably need them all!! <_<

Going on this years attendance 10 tent pitches would not be enough. I do notice that they offer another field for large organised camps but this probably would not have hook ups which I know a lot of campers (including us) find this highly desirable.

Very very tempting I must say.I would recommend booking early as.....The touring caravan and camping site offers twenty five hard standings and ten level grass pitches for tents,plus 15 hotel bedrooms.We'd probably need them all!! <_<

No worry with camping facilities. A larger area is available on site for large groups if required. When the event goes live and cachers are booking we shall be in close contact with the managers. If required we will then be able to utilise the larger camping area also…

We have noticed some concern that next years venue is not large enough. The first thing we would like to point out is that the amenities and numbers that can be catered for are larger than this years choice - Parc Cwm Darren. Dare Country Park was the first choice by W&M for this year - and Parc Cwm Darren the backup venue. Because of difficulties encountered in dialogue with the park last winter W&M decided to go for Park Cwm Darren this year. In many ways Dare Valley Country Park is a much better choice. I.e. Near to a major town. Better catering facilities. At the foothills of the Brecon Beacons. Can cater for more visitors etc. However we do welcome any concerns being bought up on the forum so we may raise any concerns with the managers. To give us an idea of numbers that may attend those that have not done can voice there intention to attend on this forum so we may inform managers of numbers that may attend and ensure we have made room to accommodate all that wish to do so.

Although the event is not yet on the geocaching site - it cannot be put on more than four months ahead at most - pitches can be reserved now if you wish. Telephone the park direct on 01685 874672. If possible try to book through Joanne Williams and let her know you are coming down for the geocaching event. It would help if anyone booking can drop me an email so I know of pre bookings when I speak with the park. You will also have the benefit of having 2006 prices.

We are a bit new to all this but we would love to attend. If we come there will be two of us in a family sized tent- elec hook up not required,also can we bring the dog?

We have seen dog owners excercising their dogs in the Park but think it best to telephone the park and ask them if taking a dog camping will be ok. Telephone 01685 874672. We think it probably is but best to check...

Edited by derrylynne

Dropped into the Park today to say hello to the staff and to book our room at the hotel for the Saturday night. Lynne and I will both be there all evening - don‘t want to miss the barbecue. Took some pictures around the park, including the camping and caravan area, while there and am going to take a few more of the area too. Will then add them to a web page on my server so you can all view them probably this weekend…

It seems the hotel rooms at the Park have been going like hotcakes - there are now only 9 left so anyone wanting bed and breakfast should be aware of this. Yes a long while to the event but a very popular location. Us South Wales cachers will be planning a super weekend - the only thing we can’t plan for is the weather…

Of course the weather will be fantastic - it never rains in Wales does it - well except for today and yes it rained yesterday as well but POSITIVE thoughts please!!!!!

We went up yesterday and booked our room for the night. Quite reasonable rate we thought.

Everyone was very friendly (except for the Police dog and his handler who were giving a display in the courtyard area to about 30 people). The dog caught the intruder no problem. Can we arrange lessons for Molly and Jak???Although they would bark at any intruder and then go up to be stroked!!!!

Lots of places for caches to be hidden.

Another few visits closer to the event will be needed.

Looking forward to it already - only 6 months to go and counting!!!!! :yikes::huh::o

W & M have offered their support and will be at the event and we are sure Liz and Gordon will do their bit and order the sun to come out right on cue. You know they even pulled that stunt off last weekend at the Barry Island event where we had a summers day for caching. Thanks to the many cachers that offered their support and help for the May event while at last weekends event too. We could not do this all on our own so many thanks to everyone that will be doing their bit to make this a great weekend next Spring. We are looking to having our first pre May meeting in January to discuss the forthcoming May event - hopefully at a nice inn where we can eat and have a few jars. Probably on a Sunday. More to come soon on that one..

I rang the Park today to get a definative answer about their allowing dogs - the good news is they do.

However, they now only have 10 spaces left for that w/e and it's still 6/7 months away and a bank holiday to boot! I enquired about the DoE field to be told that they do not usually let it out to the public, only DoE particaipants. As I'm not one of the organisers I left it there but thought that I'd best use this forum to alert derrylynne so negotiations could start.

I for one plan to be there but due to family circumstances cannot confirm until much nearer the time. I'd hate to be excluded because the limited hard pitches are full. Not being one of the woosie cachers :laughing: a field and a tap would suit me.

FMC

It's looking like we won't be able to fit on that field then...

From experience we'd need about 15 - 20 pitches and if there's only a couple left now, would it not be better to look at nearby campsites where we WOULD all fit on?

agreed. However, going off at a tangent, does this not help highlight the problem with only being able to list events a few months in advance? :laughing:

I know this has been talked about recently, but before I go and potentially embarrass myself on the main forums by posting, does anyone (especially a reviewer) know of a good reason for this? I remember talk of the numbers of logs and so on, but surely thats not too much of a problem compared with having to rearrange plans because a site is booked up before its even listed, or people making other plans... :laughing:

And yes, I'm aware of the calender, but surely it would be better to have all our geocaching data in one place - the whole point of GC.com I thought? :laughing:

I will pop into the site and have a word next week. It was mentioned that tents would be allowed into the caravan part too. I will inquire where else in the area tents can pitch although this site is larger than the last venue. Maybe one of the campers can let me know how many tents and caravans were at Parc Cwm darren. What I need to know is positive numbers that are going to attend the event. Can all those that have already booked a space on the site - caravan or tent - and all those that are definately going to attend send me an email to let me know if you will be booking a tent or van. I will then be able to have a word with the managers and come to some arrangement.

To clarify what is available at the park and what it can accommodate . There is a 15 room hotel although Mollyjak, Write and Mane and ourselves have already pre-booked there so rooms are going down. If you require bed and breakfast we would recommend you book now. The tent site has 10 pitches so probably that is where the ten comes into play. Our advice again is to book early if you want to be sure of your pitch and to enjoy this years prices. There are 25 touring caravan pitches. It was mentioned that should the tent site be full then tents would be allowed on the caravan park but you would have to pay the price relevant for that part of the site.

The cost of a caravan/motor caravan/trailer tent on the caravan park is £10.50 including all occupants.

Tents with use of electricity including two occupants is £5 per night - £2 per extra occupant children under 5 free. The hotel on a Bed and breakfast basis is £35 single. £45 double rising by amount of occupants. The event will be held at Dare Valley and unfortunately the venue cannot be changed - some have pre booked and the park is larger than this years venue. We are sure at the end of the day everything accommodation wise will turn out ok. Our advice though is to book as early as possible to avoid disappointment You will need to pay a small deposit on booking.

Edited by derrylynne

Good one The west Viewers. There are plenty of spaces at the moment. Booking early ensures you have a pitch and are not disappointed. We are pretty sure most will not be disappointed as there are with the caravan.trailer tent/mobile home site something like 35 pitches in all...With the hotel also...

Edited by derrylynne

The West Viewers commitment gave me the push I needed to book early. :)

Just booked a caravan and awning pitch, electric hook-up, three nights for all five of us for only £10.50 per night. Must be the best-valued pitch I’ve booked all year !

They’re clearly expecting us as the receptionist asked if I was part of the Geocaching group before I had a chance to make the booking.

Looking forward to seeing you all next year (if not before).

To clarify what is available at the park and what it can accommodate . There is a 15 room hotel although Mollyjak, Write and Mane and ourselves have already pre-booked there so rooms are going down. If you require bed and breakfast we would recommend you book now. The tent site has 10 pitches so probably that is where the ten comes into play. Our advice again is to book early if you want to be sure of your pitch and to enjoy this years prices. There are 25 touring caravan pitches. It was mentioned that should the tent site be full then tents would be allowed on the caravan park but you would have to pay the price relevant for that part of the site.

The cost of a caravan/motor caravan/trailer tent on the caravan park is £10.50 including all occupants.

Tents with use of electricity including two occupants is £5 per night - £2 per extra occupant children under 5 free. The hotel on a Bed and breakfast basis is £35 single. £45 double rising by amount of occupants. The event will be held at Dare Valley and unfortunately the venue cannot be changed - some have pre booked and the park is larger than this years venue. We are sure at the end of the day everything accommodation wise will turn out ok. Our advice though is to book as early as possible to avoid disappointment You will need to pay a small deposit on booking.

Maybe those of us who have large tents could take in a lodger? Just a thought!

The great Redmondo mentioned ‘house/tent guests’ in an email a few days ago. We will be mentioning more of this after the event has been listed and will then publish who has already booked and how many places are left. As said previously we are sure everyone will be accommodated at the days end. Looking forward to the event already…