Mag. 600 or XL? I would like your opinion!

Staufman

I found both the Mag. 600 and the XL for the same price. But I can't really see the benefit of one over the other except that the XL has a larger internal memory. The XL comes with 30mb and the 600 with 8mb. I'll be using a 2GB SD card with whichever one I decide on so is the internal memory size critical? From what I 've read about the Magellan units, the mapping software is somewhat more detailed than Garmin. I hope I'm correct on that. I've looked at the Garmin 60csx but it's a little more than what I wanted to pay, although if I had concrete reasons to put down the extra $90 or so I might go for the Garmin. I would be interested in hearing what you guys think. As you can probably tell, me and my wife are brand new to geo-caching, but we also are interested in using the gpsr on road trips and do caching along the way. Thanks for your opinions...

I found both the Mag. 600 and the XL for the same price. But I can't really see the benefit of one over the other except that the XL has a larger internal memory. The XL comes with 30mb and the 600 with 8mb. I'll be using a 2GB SD card with whichever one I decide on so is the internal memory size critical? From what I 've read about the Magellan units, the mapping software is somewhat more detailed than Garmin. I hope I'm correct on that. I've looked at the Garmin 60csx but it's a little more than what I wanted to pay, although if I had concrete reasons to put down the extra $90 or so I might go for the Garmin. I would be interested in hearing what you guys think. As you can probably tell, me and my wife are brand new to geo-caching, but we also are interested in using the gpsr on road trips and do caching along the way. Thanks for your opinions...

Internal Memory - not that critical. With a 2 GB card, you have enough room to carry around most of the US maps and topo in your hand.

Map Detail - I haven't heard that maggies maps are more detailed than garmin, the data for the maps comes from the same place (NAVTEQ). Most users here will tell you that the garmins route better (smarter) than the maggy. Also, Garmin tends to update their maps, I've had my Maggies for almost 3 years now and have yet to get a map update.

Other items of interest:

The XL and the 600 are similar, except for the size. Compared to most GPSr's, the XL has a huge screen, which is nice when you are driving to the caches, but then you have to lug the thing into the woods with you. The 600 has had one software update in 18 months, making it more geocaching friendly, the XL has had NONE.

As much as I hate to say it - If I were you right now, I would go with the Garmin 60cx/csx for my purchase. You may spend a little more, but you get a great unit, the latest tech (SIRF III) and a company that is known for it's fantastic customer support and speedy updates to their products. Looking to Magellan for help or updates is like yelling into a cave. Hello!!! Is anyone there???

good luck, and welcome to the fun. :o

I've looked at the Garmin 60csx but it's a little more than what I wanted to pay, although if I had concrete reasons to put down the extra $90 or so I might go for the Garmin.

I strongly encourage you to spend the extra $90 and save yourself a whole lot of hassle. Just do a simple search for Magellan tech support on these boards and you'll know why. I sent back 3 eXplorist 600s due to joystick/freezing issues before requesting a refund and going for the CSx instead. Haven't made a call to tech support since (and Garmin actually updates their firmware!). Some users have had different experiences, but IMHO, buying a Magellan is like rowing out to the middle of the ocean and then burning your oars.

If you must choose between the 600 and the XL, however, I'd go for the 600. The size of the 600 is one of the things I actually miss about those buggy little units :o

Thanks JHWK,

Yeah now that you mention it, I have heard nothing but horror stories about Maggies customer service. I will take into consideration what you've said and I do appreciate it. Could you tell me what software I need to do both road trips and caching? That way I can start searching for the best prices ahead of time.

Thanks again,

OK, I'm getting swayed towards the Garmin. Question for you though. As far as I can see the only real difference between the Garmin CX and the CSX is that the CSX has a digital compass and an altimeter. Are these things important to have or are they just pretty much eye candy? Are there other features that would justify the cost of the CSX? I hate to ask so many questions, but I would just like to start off on the right foot...

Thanks

Many users on these boards find the electric compass and altimeter useless and opt for the Cx over the CSx. The argument has been made that the extra sensors can create additional problems. However, I have not seen this to be the case with my CSx. I like having the electronic compass and altimeter, but find I use the altimeter more than the electric compass. The best thing about the CSx is its reception-- just fantastic. Garmin tech support is hard to beat from what I've heard.... of course, I've never had to call them so I wouldn't know :o

Definitely go with the 600! It has more features, is compact, has expandable memory, and looks good (for a magellan). I have an explorist 600, and it the best unit I have ever had. Garmin looks better, but I really don't care. This is more accurate than my friend's 60CSx. I like garmin, but I think that magellan units are better.

Edited by ossumguywill

After having the Map60Cx for awhile, I had bought the eXplorist XL, for it's huge screen, and I don't mind lugging it through the woods, but the problem with the Magellans, is the tracklogging, in which the Garmins are much better at. If you have too many tracklogs on the eXplorist it will keep rebooting everytime you try to go to the tracklog folder on the memory card. Magellans TOPO 3D, is so much better than Garmins, and the eXplorist XL's screen is far more detailed than on Garmins tiny screen. The memory card on the Garmin will store many megabytes of tracks, but you cannot view them on the screen. The 20 Track memories on the Garmin are only for viewing on the map screen, and also backtracking with. The Garmin will display all 20 tracklog memories simultaniously on the Map screen, for which the Magellan fails at doing.

I did a 5 minute or so video on the eXplorist XL HERE

To answer the original question.:

Explorist XL:

+ larger screen

+ users normal AA batteries

- does not have a built-in e-compass (the 600 does)

The lack of e-compass is why the price is about the same between the smaller 600 and larger XL.

John

Edited by robotman