Following up on the EarthCache issue.

The more I think about this, the more confused I am about it.

I know several people that own EarthCaches on Geocaching.com and yet not one of them has said a thing to me about the email that several of us Waymarkers received. I'm not saying that I am the hub of communication in Ontario, but as a part of a rather large group that discusses many facets of Geocaching (I have several hats :lol: ), it should have come up by now.

So that leads me to wonder.... was that email only sent to people that own EarthCaches on Waymarking?

The other aspect that has me confused is that there has not been a single post in the other thread about EarthCaches returning to Geocaching, from any member of the Groundspeak staff. No confirmation, denial, comment, discussion, smart-alec jabs... nothing.

That is VERY weird. Even when a topic is rather off-focus or blatantly wrong... someone from Groundspeak says something.

So I am going to ask two questions, bluntly, and hopefully get an answer to each.

1: To OpinioNate or Bootron or Jeremy - Does Groundspeak plan on moving EarthCaches from Waymarking back to Geocaching as was indicated in the email posted in the other thread?

2: To EarthCache Listing Owners - Are any of you aware of GEOCACHERS that received that email?

Gotta be honest... part of me wonders if someone was testing the waters to see what the reaction would be from our Waymarking community.

:P The Blue Quasar

The more I think about this, the more confused I am about it.

2: To EarthCache Listing Owners - Are any of you aware of GEOCACHERS that received that email?

Gotta be honest... part of me wonders if someone was testing the waters to see what the reaction would be from our Waymarking community.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

My earthcache (Mazama Ash - Edmonton) is listed on Waymarking.com, and I haven't heard anything excepted for the discussion on the forum.

Yes I am a waymarker & cacher. I have no earthcache waymarks though; but I do have 3 Earthcaches on gc.com and I received the email. Furthermore I was told recently in an email by geoware who approves Earthcaches that over the next several weeks he will be posting Maintence logs on all Earthcaches both at Waymarking and gc.com, saying if they comply with the new guidleines or not. And yes one of my Earthcaches has a maintence log that says it meets the new guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cc-75eb06ce4d2a

Edited by chstress53

I thought I remembered a thread on Geocaching topics at gc.com This was started on Sept 16.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...thcache+returns

and this is what a moderator said

"From what I understand, the old ones on GC will be reviewed and relisted if they qualify. The ones on the WM site will then be reviewed and moved over if they qualify. The category will then be closed on the WM site."

The prliminary work has began, Geoware has begun posting Maintence logs on All Earthcaches at gc.com( He has been un vacation but when he returns he will begin in earnest. The plan as I understand it is to gradually over the next three weeks, Give everyone a chance to update them to meet the guidlines by following the maintenance log on the earthcache. If the guidlines are not met the Earthcache will be will be archived (as I understand things_. Those on Waymarking when they meet the guidlines will be transferred back to gc.com.

Edited by chstress53

My earthcache (Mazama Ash - Edmonton) is listed on Waymarking.com, and I haven't heard anything excepted for the discussion on the forum.

An email from geoaware arrived in my inbox today informing me to update the requirements of my earthcache to ensure that the waymark is transferred to gc.com. Happy days!!!

Edited by shearzone
EarthCaches are in the process of being returned to geocaching.com. Within the next month all EarthCache submissions will be submitted via geocaching.com. In the meantime we ask developers to wait till this is announced on this page and not submit via Waymarking.com.

Many thanks.

EarthCache Team

I have an earthcache in the works, and will likely wait until they come back to gc.com once things are sorted out...

Jamie - NFA

i sent questions on what is the current prospects/timeline for submitting an earthcache over two weeks ago, and still havent received a reply from the earthcache.org site, does anyone have any knowledge??

Yes.... he was away for a week and informed me that he was going to move the "Earthcaches" within a couple of weeks.

See the note below posted on the "Earthcache page ! Earthcache.org

GSA EarthCaching

EarthCaches are in the process of being returned to geocaching.com. Within the next month all EarthCache submissions will be submitted via geocaching.com. In the meantime we ask developers to wait till this is announced on this page and not submit via Waymarking.com.

Many thanks.

EarthCache Team