Taking items from caches you placed?

nojive

it's your cache, you put the trade items in to start the trades, you should be free to take or trade for items in there or move travelbugs or coins to new caches if you want.

I see no problem with this.

though I like to leave TB and nice items in my caches so people have good experiences there.

You can do it if you want, but I wouldn't ever leave anything nice in one of your caches if you took something I left.

I recently left an unactivated TB tag in a cache and the owner went and got it within hours. Fine, owner's prerogative, but I intended it for a future finder.

Won't be leaving anything nice in the owner's caches anymore.

What's the opinion of me taking something out of a cache I placed? Reason I ask, there is a coin in one. I'm going pretty far up north this weekend, and I could place it there when I'm geocaching. Opinions?

Travelers are meant to travel, the owners want to see them move not sitting in a cache because somebody who is NOT the owner said you couldn't move it.

You can take anything trade item you want from any cache provided you leave something of equal or greater value. "Trade even, Trade up, or don't Trade at all" is a good rule of thumb. (Travelers are not trade items, take'em move'em)

[if you want to leave something in a cache but you don't want taken by just anybody, then yes, don't leave it in a cache.]

Edited by BlueDeuce

You can do it if you want, but I wouldn't ever leave anything nice in one of your caches if you took something I left.

I recently left an unactivated TB tag in a cache and the owner went and got it within hours. Fine, owner's prerogative, but I intended it for a future finder.

on the "trade up or even" idea (don't know how to quote multiple posts) how would you (or anyone) feel if I (as owner) took your unactivated TB and left an unactivated GeoCoin? Or... a complete microcache or minicache?

I'm not intentionally stirring the pot, nor throwing up a straw man. People say "Trade even or trade up" but I'm not always sure what is considered "up," especially when it comes to geocaching items.

Blue

What's the opinion of me taking something out of a cache I placed? Reason I ask, there is a coin in one. I'm going pretty far up north this weekend, and I could place it there when I'm geocaching. Opinions?

In your specific case, and as was stated in an earlier post, a coin is a traveler, not a trade item. Take it and move it on. As for trade items, if you stocked the cache then it's your inventory to manage. But, like another previous poster stated, if it's something really nice, I'd "trade" for it unless you plan on moving it to another cache you own for whatever reason. If that's the case, a note on the cache page and an e-mail to the cacher that placed it would be nice and reasonably cover any rules issues and serve to prevent any ruffling of feathers.

Just my opinion.

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't you have the best of both worlds by visiting the cache to "discover" the coin, then leave it there for the next cacher? You'd still get an icon, which is not important to most of you, but we icon hoes are keeping track. :o

Edited by Kacky

on the "trade up or even" idea (don't know how to quote multiple posts) how would you (or anyone) feel if I (as owner) took your unactivated TB and left an unactivated GeoCoin? Or... a complete microcache or minicache?

I'm not intentionally stirring the pot, nor throwing up a straw man. People say "Trade even or trade up" but I'm not always sure what is considered "up," especially when it comes to geocaching items.

Blue

Well, as has been noted this post deals specifically with an item meant to travel. As far as I am concerned anyone including the cache owner can take and move a traveling item.

At the same time I am a strong believer in trade even or up or don't trade (but please do trade). It seems to be a universal law that the quality of a cache's contents will degrade over time and this is a direct result of failure to abide by the trade even or up rule|guideline|ethic|principle|ideal.

It is my *humble* opinion that if you have nothing to leave in the cache, you shouldn't take a traveller. Many will strongly disagree and that's fine, everyone arrives at their opinions their own way.

My view is that every cache should ideally offer something of interest to every visitor. If you take a traveling item that is great, but what about the next person who is only an hour behind you and went for the cache because a TB or geocoin was listed as being in the cache? If you took it and left nothing comparable in it's place they will end up disappointed. Is this really a big deal? No. But if you look at it from the 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' perspective I think you will immediately see the need to trade a traveler for a traveler, a collectible for a collectible etc.

Now I will directly address your question. Keep in mind this is my opinion and my opinion is just that, an opinion.

You asked "how would you (or anyone) feel if I (as owner) took your unactivated TB and left an unactivated GeoCoin? Or... a complete microcache or minicache?"

Well, in general I personally (just my opinion) frown upon the cache owner taking anything out of an active cache. My preference is that those who undertake the effort to seek a cache for the first time are the ones to be rewarded with the neat trade item. The owner or a previous finder watching the logs can 'cheat' and simply go grab desirable swag as soon as it is logged and in my opinion this takes away from the quality experience that could have been for a first time seeker.

Having said that I consider an unactivated geocoin to be fair trade for an unactivated TB tag. I would have no issue at all with a cache owner making the substitution. I would not consider a micro cache a fair trade. First I despise micros, but secondly it isn't really comparable to a traveling item. Sure, a complete micro cache is a very cool swag item, but it appeals to a different audience than an unactivated trackable does.

Let's not split hairs here though. My opinions are just opinions and leaving anything desirable behind in exchange for an unactivated traveller is much better than what usually happens when nothing is left in it's place regardless of who took it.

Practice trade even or trade up whatever it means to you and you are automatically and instantly doing more than most, therefore there is no shame to be experienced when someone like me splits hairs and offers a differing opinion on the minutiae.

Cache for fun. Take something? Good, leave something comparable or better in it's place. See trash laying around? Clean it up. It's a very simple concept of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you and leaving things better than you found them. Forget the hair splitting and the varying opinions, just practice the ideals as you personally understand them and let that be that. It will be more than most do.

Edited by DaveA
It is my *humble* opinion that if you have nothing to leave in the cache, you shouldn't take a traveller. Many will strongly disagree and that's fine, everyone arrives at their opinions their own way.

My view is that every cache should ideally offer something of interest to every visitor. If you take a traveling item that is great, but what about the next person who is only an hour behind you and went for the cache because a TB or geocoin was listed as being in the cache? If you took it and left nothing comparable in it's place they will end up disappointed. Is this really a big deal? No. But if you look at it from the 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' perspective I think you will immediately see the need to trade a traveler for a traveler, a collectible for a collectible etc.

I had the owner of a TB prison make this explanation. The problem with this perspective is that you're forgetting the disappointment of the TB/coin OWNER. The traveler's owner wants the traveler to travel, not occupy caches

waiting to please cachers. If you can move the bug/coin, move it. Especially if it has specific goals you can advance. The next cacher will take their chances. Maybe they were coming for a specific bug or coin - so what, they aren't there, and you are. It's not a trade item.

I have my own cache designed as a Depot (aka Hotel, Motel, whatever). When I see a TB/Coin dropped, I watch to make sure it gets picked up and moved on since that's what the Owner intended. If one sits for a week or so, I retrieve it and move it along on my next caching expedition. Otherwise, it sits and doesn't move. As far as trading a TB for another TB, well, they aren't trade items.

The Depot is also a trading place as well. Trading is to be equal or better. TBs and Coins are free to be moved without trading.

Comment on the "discover"ing in your own cache. Well, it doesn't matter if you own the cache or not, you can always visit any cache with TBs and Coins and "discover" them. You aren't restricted to just caches you "find" for the first time to do that. Cool way to see what's out there.

I think that if you go and trade even or up for it, it's your cache, go for it. I don't think that just because it's your cache you should have the right to just take things out of it without leaving anything.

Obviously (or maybe not so), if it's a TB (be it coin or bug) then take it and move it if you can!

Comment on the "discover"ing in your own cache. Well, it doesn't matter if you own the cache or not, you can always visit any cache with TBs and Coins and "discover" them. You aren't restricted to just caches you "find" for the first time to do that. Cool way to see what's out there.

I know some people don't believe in discovering coins, but it's allowed, so IMO it's the best of both worlds.

I think that if you go and trade even or up for it, it's your cache, go for it. I don't think that just because it's your cache you should have the right to just take things out of it without leaving anything.

Obviously (or maybe not so), if it's a TB (be it coin or bug) then take it and move it if you can!

On the other hand, it's your cache. You could remove the entire cache and take it home. Everything in it, with the exception of traveling items, belongs to the cache owner.

Now that I have my own cache, I like to take TB that I find in other caches and move them to mine. I know a lot of people "hunt" for TBs so I figure it will get more people out to my cache.... If it stays there for more than a week or so I move it on to another cache. I'll also watch my logs, and on my weekly checkup run, I'll see what's actually in there. I might take something out, but I'm always sure to leave enough "fun stuff" to keep people happy. A perfect example of this is someone left something that's "perfect for a TB" in one of my caches. IMHO it's fine to go grab that out of my cache for my use as a TB if I want...

Ben

Very True, it is yours, but you go carrying it off with everything in it and you won't be very popular. For that fact you go taking good swag out without leaving anything and I doubt that would be well received either. Often there is a difference between what a person can do and what they should do.......

Edited by Hula Bum
Very True, it is yours, but you go carrying it off with everything in it and you won't be very popular. For that fact you go taking good swag out without leaving anything and I doubt that would be well received either. Often there is a difference between what a person can do and what they should do.......

Two thoughts...

First, all caches have a life span. If a cache owner decides to remove a cache, the swag should not matter. Second, a cache owner sometimes has to remove swag because the cache has become overstuffed. Either way, it is up to the cache owner to make these decisions.

My biggest question is this: Does moving the TB help it on its way? If it has a specific goal and you are going that way then fine. If it has just the general goal of moving around, let others find the TB.

The rules I play by are as follows:

1) I only go after caches that I have not found. There are a few people I have seen log revisits as finds. If one of my caches goes missing I don't archive it just to rehide it in the same spot. That seems to me like inflating my number count. If it is in the same place it is the same cache.

2) I don't return to caches to log a TB or coin I have not found. See rule #1.

3) I don't "Discover" coins. I was at an event and there was a cacher that had activated coins in his collection that he allowed people to "Discover". Why would I want to discover your personal collection? I like the hunt, not be given things on a platter. I'll get icons the old fashion way, work for them.

4) If the owner of a TB or coin contacts me to move the item for them because I have already been to the cache, logged the item, or own the cache; then I will for go rule 1 & 2 and move the items along.

These are my rules that I follow, you can do what you want, but don't expect me to like it.

I have been thinking of making a TB/Geocoin maintenance cache as these items go through much in the course of their travels. To do this I was going to make an account separate from my own so I could remove the items from the cache while I clean them up give them new print-outs and bags as need, and people would know better what is in the cache. I don't want to artifically inflate my numbers just because I can. Again, just how I play the game and like I said earlier, you can do what you want just don't expect me to approve.

Wow! This thread got long quick! I appreciate all the responses. I agree with the "trade up, or don't trade at all" line. I have seen my fair share of caches that have nothing but crap in them, and although the hunt is the best part, its neat to have a momento of the cache.

Also, I have been monitoring my caches, and it is neat to see all the things that pass through, but the only thing I would be removing is a TB or travelling coin, assuming I could help it along it's intended journey.