Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX Thoughts

mbarr69

I'm looking at purchasing the 60CSX unit and want to know what you DON'T like about it. I think it works for me but I would just like to know what flaws it has or that you have run into using this device.

Thank you.

OK, I own a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, and here are the things I dislike the most (when I compare it to the Magellan eXplorist 600):

1. The Topo Maps are extremely outdated. They include roads that haven't existed in over 20 years, they don't include roads/subdivisions/etc. that have existed for over 15 years.

2. The unit mixes Geocaches with "regular" waypoints and uses a special icon to identify geocaches. This means that all caches, be they multistage, puzzle, standard, etc., all show the same icon on the screen. The unit is also limited to 1000 waypoints in this internal table. You can use "Custom POI's" to store more caches as points of interest, but in doing this, you lose the geocaching functionality of those points.

3. In my "normal usage pattern", I go through batteries about one set a week, but if I go caching for more than a couple hours on the weekend, I will need a second set to get through the weekend.

4. The electronic compass becomes "unstable" is the unit is carried for long periods in the orientation that gets the best satellite reception. You can have an accurate compass or an accurate GPSr but apparently not at the same time.

5. The unit uses micro-SD cards, yet it is larger than the Magellan units which use standard SD cards. This means that your additional storage is more expensive. Additionally, the micro-SD cards are really too small to change in the field without the risk of losing one of them (for someone with fingers the size of mine). You shouldn't have to change the card in the field, but since it uses more expensive cards, you might end-up buying two smaller cards rather than one larger one just to save a little money.

6. The cable connectors on the back make it difficult to use the belt clip mount in your car and also use the belt-clip vent mounts at the same time without putting extra stress on the cables/connectors.

Of course, I could come up with a very similar list for the Magellan eXplorist 600. I find myself using the Garmin for my cache hunting, and if I use my Magellan, it is for finding the best route to the cache, and nearby parking. At the same time, my wife prefers to use her eXplorist 600 for caching, but she is tempted by the Garmin. After seeing it in action, she actually admitted that perhaps she was a bit hasty to insist on the Magellan when she bought her GPSr 3 months ago...

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois

I have a 60cs but many of the features are the same.

I don't like it has a capacity of 1K waypoints. The waypoints are stored on internal memory instead of on the memory card which could hold, virtually, an unlimited # of waypoints.

I don't like the adapter holder used to attach the GPS on windshield/beanbag/bike mounts. The setup don't work well on the bike; mine recently popped out when I hit a speedbump and broke the button in the back. However, even though it's a year out of warranty, Garmin sent me an RA# and did not mention any fees to fix it :lol: .

That's about it.

6. The cable connectors on the back make it difficult to use the belt clip mount in your car and also use the belt-clip vent mounts at the same time without putting extra stress on the cables/connectors.

What mounts are you speaking of? I am trying to find a good way to mount mine so I am open to any ideas.

OK, I own a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, and here are the things I dislike the most (when I compare it to the Magellan eXplorist 600):

1. The Topo Maps are extremely outdated. They include roads that haven't existed in over 20 years, they don't include roads/subdivisions/etc. that have existed for over 15 years.

2. The unit mixes Geocaches with "regular" waypoints and uses a special icon to identify geocaches. This means that all caches, be they multistage, puzzle, standard, etc., all show the same icon on the screen. The unit is also limited to 1000 waypoints in this internal table. You can use "Custom POI's" to store more caches as points of interest, but in doing this, you lose the geocaching functionality of those points.

3. In my "normal usage pattern", I go through batteries about one set a week, but if I go caching for more than a couple hours on the weekend, I will need a second set to get through the weekend.

4. The electronic compass becomes "unstable" is the unit is carried for long periods in the orientation that gets the best satellite reception. You can have an accurate compass or an accurate GPSr but apparently not at the same time.

5. The unit uses micro-SD cards, yet it is larger than the Magellan units which use standard SD cards. This means that your additional storage is more expensive. Additionally, the micro-SD cards are really too small to change in the field without the risk of losing one of them (for someone with fingers the size of mine). You shouldn't have to change the card in the field, but since it uses more expensive cards, you might end-up buying two smaller cards rather than one larger one just to save a little money.

Of course, I could come up with a very similar list for the Magellan eXplorist 600. I find myself using the Garmin for my cache hunting, and if I use my Magellan, it is for finding the best route to the cache, and nearby parking. At the same time, my wife prefers to use her eXplorist 600 for caching, but she is tempted by the Garmin. After seeing it in action, she actually admitted that perhaps she was a bit hasty to insist on the Magellan when she bought her GPSr 3 months ago...

I'd like to address some of these.

1. Although useful info, this has nothing to do with the GPS itself.

2. Its very easy to change the icons yourself with EasyGPS or GSAK when downloading the waypoints.

3. Get rechargeables! And/or turn off the electronic compass untill you need it; the compass eats up lots of battery juice.

4. I don't have this problem. Do you periodically calibrate the compass?

I don't like it has a capacity of 1K waypoints. The waypoints are stored on internal memory instead of on the memory card which could hold, virtually, an unlimited # of waypoints.

The X models can use garmins POI loader for waypoints & you can have as many custom POIs as you want, with the added bonus of more info per cache. These custom POI's are loaded to the data card, unlike the standard waypoints being on internal memory.... the standard waypoints are still limited to 1000.

Edited by hogrod

What about the maps? Is it really that outdated?

I currently own a Magellan Maridian with a 128sd card. I like it but I want something with a color screen, updated maps, and that has auto re-routing for on the road use.

I see that the 60csx will do auto routing but if I go off course will it re-route and if not how hard is it to get new directions.

Also, what about the 60cx? I don't think I'll use the compass or barometric altimeter.

Edited by mbarr69

What about the maps? Is it really that outdated?

I currently own a Magellan Maridian with a 128sd card. I like it but I want something with a color screen, updated maps, and that has auto re-routing for on the road use.

I see that the 60csx will do auto routing but if I go off course will it re-route and if not how hard is it to get new directions.

Also, what about the 60cx? I don't think I'll use the compass or barometric altimeter.

Ok, my experience with owning a 60cx for about a week. I just switched from an Explorist 400.

I use City Navigator for driving around, and the Topo software for hiking. Topo software may be "outdated" -2002 edition, I believe-, but I only use the Topo to assist in navigating around natural features; i.e. elevation/contours, watercourses, etc. Natural features just do not change all that quickly. Plus, Garmin still supports the software with updates on their website.

The 60csx and 60cx both have the ability to auto-reroute if you go offcourse.

I don't like electronic compasses and I'm not using my GPS for flying, so the 60csx features just didn't appeal to me.

I don't like the adapter holder used to attach the GPS on windshield/beanbag/bike mounts. The setup don't work well on the bike; mine recently popped out when I hit a speedbump and broke the button in the back. However, even though it's a year out of warranty, Garmin sent me an RA# and did not mention any fees to fix it :lol: .

That's about it.

Hey Chuy!! :P

You're right about the 1000 waypoints in internal memory, however you can load thousands of waypoints on the data card as POIs. And, you can sort them into multiple databases to make them easy to manage and use too. So yes, there is technically a 1000 waypoint limit, but the capability is there for much, much more.

Just to put things in perspective, if you're using City Navigator North America Version 8 NT, you can fit the entire country (yes, the WHOLE USA) on a 1GB micro SD card. And you'll still have about 100 megs left over for custom POI databases or topo maps. When I looked the other day, a 1 GB microSD card cost $29.99 with free shipping from outpost.com. Yes, they are more expensive than the larger SD cards, but $30 shouldn't break the bank if you have $400 to spend on a GPSr to begin with. And you shouldn't need to change a 1GB card under normal circumstances.

I have used the Mapsend Topo and the Mapsource Topo software. They both seemed to be equally out of date. When caching with RK our maps were identical except that is Garmin showed more POI's, and my Topo showed the names of the streets that I was approaching.

I am using City Select V6. This is not as up to date as City Navigator V8, but until recently was using a 60CS so needed the smaller segments for fit within the memory constraints. auto routing is awesome. I rent cars with never lost and find the Garmin software smarter and less irritating then the voice.

Garmin Topo US maps are good replications of the USGS 1:100K topo maps. Those maps are dated, without a doubt. But that is what you get with any Garmin receiver. Maggy topo maps are better in many respects.

Garmin City Nav maps have the latest NavTech data. That being what it is, the data is probably a year or 18 months old when it hits Garmin's software each June. The points of interest are a bit fresher than that. Most Magellan users that switch seem to think that the urban maps are better, the topo a bit worse.

City Nav (or any Garmin autorouting product) will automatically re-route you instantly if you go off course. The routing data is VERY reliable (unlike old software that sometimes sent you the wrong way down a one-way road, or told you to cross a river where there was no bridge), and the re-route is almost instantaneous.

Many users swear by the electronic compass. Other users swear AT the compass. Few seem to use the barometer. On balance, most CS users are satisfied. Some say, "Save $50 and buy a Silva magnetic compass." YMMV

When I looked the other day, a 1 GB microSD card cost $29.99 with free shipping from outpost.com.

Where is that?????????????

I did not see it the other day and I do not see it today. Please show us the $29.99 plus free shipping deal from Outpost...

dealram shows a bunch of dealers with 1GB miniSD cards for less than $25 including shipping, and a bunch of 2GB cards for $38 to $45 including shipping. With a 2GB card you can probably put the entire NA city select on the card.

http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/mini-SD/56/2GB.html

-Dave

When I looked the other day, a 1 GB microSD card cost $29.99 with free shipping from outpost.com.

I did not see it the other day and I do not see it today. Please show us the $29.99 plus free shipping deal from Outpost...

dealram shows a bunch of dealers with 1GB miniSD cards for less than $25 including shipping, and a bunch of 2GB cards for $38 to $45 including shipping. With a 2GB card you can probably put the entire NA city select on the card.

-Dave

You don't seem to understand that "Mini" is different than "Micro" when it comes to SD cards. Look into it before purchasing one for yourself.

I own and love my 60CSx but I would agree that the Cx vs. the CSx is probably would be the correct choice for most people, as they will get limited use of the sensors....

The one drawback that I have noticed in my CSx is the compass, it constantly needs recalibrating and will occasionally just disappear and I will have to restart the unit periodically. BUT, the sat lock and ease of use more than make up for those inconveniences.....

But thats just my opinion...

http://tinyurl.com/remze

The first one on the list is the $29.99 deal ... not sure about the shipping, though.

And, FWIW, I had MAJOR problems with my CSx compass today. It was anywhere from 90-180 degrees off and would randomly wiggle back and forth from time to time. Not too good when you're trying to navigate just using the base map. :o

http://tinyurl.com/remze

The first one on the list is the $29.99 deal ... not sure about the shipping, though.

And, FWIW, I had MAJOR problems with my CSx compass today. It was anywhere from 90-180 degrees off and would randomly wiggle back and forth from time to time. Not too good when you're trying to navigate just using the base map. <_<

The free shipping seems to come and go. It was free when I bought mine, then I noticed it didn't appear to be free, then it came back, now it doesn't appear to be. Watch it for a week or so, maybe it'll be back again.

As far as your compass jumping, assuming you calibrated it, were you holding it flat? That makes a difference. I noticed the compass arrow is off if I hold it by my side, and it's more accurate when I hold it in front of me.

I don't like the adapter holder used to attach the GPS on windshield/beanbag/bike mounts. The setup don't work well on the bike; mine recently popped out when I hit a speedbump and broke the button in the back. However, even though it's a year out of warranty, Garmin sent me an RA# and did not mention any fees to fix it <_< .

That's about it.

Hey Chuy!! <_<

You're right about the 1000 waypoints in internal memory, however you can load thousands of waypoints on the data card as POIs. And, you can sort them into multiple databases to make them easy to manage and use too. So yes, there is technically a 1000 waypoint limit, but the capability is there for much, much more.

Hi Doc! Unfortunately, I don't have an X model. Still have a 60cs.

I'd like to address some of these.

1. Although useful info, this has nothing to do with the GPS itself.

2. Its very easy to change the icons yourself with EasyGPS or GSAK when downloading the waypoints.

3. Get rechargeables! And/or turn off the electronic compass untill you need it; the compass eats up lots of battery juice.

4. I don't have this problem. Do you periodically calibrate the compass?

Since you are replying to my message I will follow-up to your reply.

1. Yes it is useful information, and yes it does apply to the unit itself. You can't load any newer topo maps onto this unit, so this point applies. Yes, the Topo maps are a separate product, but this the newest you can get for this unit.

2. If you read my whole post, you would see that I noted you could change the icons. I also noted that as soon as you change the icons, you lose the "geocaching features" of the GPSr itself. Those features only work when you have a waypoint with the one icon the manufacturer has chosen.

3. I have rechargeables, two set of 4 2650 mAh NIMH. I still have to take those out of the unit and charge them frequently. If they could be charged in the unit, that would help, but since you have to remove them to charge them, I am opening the back of my unit very often. I can't tell you how long it has been since the back was off my wife's Magellan eXplorist 600. Her compass is on all of the time, mine is off most of the time. My backlight is also off most of the time, even at night...

4. I calibrate the compass at least once a week, or once a battery change, whichever comes first. I calibrated mine 2 or 3 times yesterday and still had a good bit of swing while approaching the final location on one of the caches I found yesterday. The GPSr compass function only works when you are moving, so I will enable the electronic compass and use that to try to align while in the last couple hundred feet of the cache. I had swings as much as 10-15 degrees while standing still.

These are issues that I have seen. I also stated in my original post that I find myself using the Garmin more than the Magellan eXplorist 600 for caching. Neither of these models is perfect, they're just imperfect in their own way. <_<

As far as your compass jumping, assuming you calibrated it, were you holding it flat? That makes a difference. I noticed the compass arrow is off if I hold it by my side, and it's more accurate when I hold it in front of me.

Oh yes ... flat, in the open, actually climbed up a pile of sand about 12 feet high ... calibrated, recalibrated, put it down and walked away from it ... did everything I could think of. At that point it was about 45 degrees off.

When I went out today, I turned the compass off completely ... after putting in new batteries this morning and recalibrating twice. I had much, much less frustration without it on. I'm seriously thinking about sending the unit back to Garmin, but I don't think I want to be without it for as long as it would take to get it back. :anibad:

I just ordered my new Garmin GPSMAP 60cx, cigarette lighter adapter, City Navigator North America v.8, automotive mounting bracket/suction cup and the extended 3year parts and labor warranty from Amazon. All for 496.80 - 50$ mail in rebate= 446.80. Not too shabby. Should be here by Thursday.

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. :anibad:

-Dave

You don't seem to understand that "Mini" is different than "Micro" when it comes to SD cards. Look into it before purchasing one for yourself.

Yeah, I mistyped and mislooked-up, but the microSD cards aren't that bad. The 1GB cards are around $38-$42. The 2GB microSD cards are still too expensive, you are right. They are around $98...

-Dave

Just got the Garmin 60CSx and am very happy with it. Have had no problems with the compass, barometer, etc. which were “must haves” for me. The key could be proper calibration. I’ve got the StreetPilot III for the car, Turn by turn voice directions are great, and the 60CSx for exercise, walking around – portability and battery life that the StreetPilot III doesn’t have.

I’ve been using this thing for hours, backlight always on, and still on the first 2 AA alkalines and have yet to see the battery bar graph move. It’s all black and at first I thought the battery was dead but swapping in 2 new ones showed that they were fully charged.

I’ve been using this thing for hours, backlight always on, and still on the first 2 AA alkalines and have yet to see the battery bar graph move. It’s all black and at first I thought the battery was dead but swapping in 2 new ones showed that they were fully charged.

How do you keep the backlight always on?

Mine goes off after 3 minutes?

Just got the Garmin 60CSx and am very happy with it. Have had no problems with the compass, barometer, etc. which were “must haves” for me. The key could be proper calibration. I’ve got the StreetPilot III for the car, Turn by turn voice directions are great, and the 60CSx for exercise, walking around – portability and battery life that the StreetPilot III doesn’t have.

The 60CSx is better than the SP III in just about every way, I would use the 60CSx in the car too.

Press [menu]-[menu]-"setup"-"display"-backlight timeout and set it to "stays on"

[menu] indicates button, "setup" indicates icon on display

ProsperoDK/René

Thank you.

I was sure that when I looked before, it was a maximum of two or three minutes!

Has it changed recently or has it always been the same?

Well, I just got my 60cx yesterday and this is what I think thus far.

First, ordering from Amazon was great! I picked up the 60cx GPSr, cig adapter, car window mount and the City Nav v8 software. I placed my order on Sunday and it got here by Wednesday.

Second, some things I didn't like.

1. No batteries. At least give someone some cheapo's to put in the unit so you can get to playing around with it a soon as you get it. I know thats not a deal breaker but even less expensive electronics come with batteries.

2. I don't like the arrangment of the connections on the back when connecting the USB cord and/or using the window mount plus the car adapter. Everything comes straight out of the back making it difficult to look at the screen when connecting it to a computer. When trying to connect or disconnect it from the window mount is a little odd.

3. I was a little confused about what the cupon code was for when it said I could unlock maps in the track and waypoint manager. I entered in the code and it said it unlocked city nav v8 but when going back to the waypoint manager I did not see any difference. Should I have purchased teh City Nav software or did the cupon code allow me to download the software? Any Help?

4. I don't like how small the micro card is. I don't plan on changing it out if I get a 2gb card but I can see how it would be bad if you had to change it out in the field.

5. I have noticed when sitting still that the arrow will constantly be moving. Is there a fix for this?

Other than these small thing I love ithis unit so far and will be using it to do some caching at Yosemite on the 23rd. I can't wait!!!!

Edited by mbarr69

Things I don't like:

While you can mess around with POI's it's a hassle, there's no reason Garmin could not make unlimited waypoints and store them on the card. In addition it's a further hassle if you have mixed waypoints and POI's esp. if you want to bring that data into arcgis etc. Also you can't create a POI in the field on the gps. With data cards now there's no reason to have any type of limits on the number of data points or waypoints in a route or track, or in general the number of waypoints, routes, and tracks etc. it all should be based on available or better yet user specified allocated memory to each feature.

The compass, as someone else said some people love it, other's hate it, myself I think it's pretty well useless. Mine does not seem to be as bad with wanting constant re-calibration or just shutting off as some are reported to be. The real issue is the garmin electronic compass is way way too sensative to tilt, you can easily get massive error with just a slight amount of tilt in the unit, way before the "hold level" warning comes on. They should have used a 3rd axis stabilized compass.

Also the night setting map background is not a true black, it's a dark blue, it would be a lot easier to read at night on a true black background, contrast would be improved.

In addition I would like to be able to change the color of my routes on the map, you can do it with tracks, but not routes. This would be nice esp. for street nav because the default magenta route color is not that different from some of the major road colors, being able to set it to a contrasting color would be nice.

I would also agree the garmin topo maps leave a LOT to be desired for certain places, it just depends on where you are, some places I go they are great, and others they are horrible. However their data for the most part is on par with 100K topo maps and usually gets the job done. It would be nice to see a state series with 24K data quality though.

Also this is probalby nit picking but they could add a little more room in the battery compartment, alkaline batteries fit fine, but I notice my rechargeables fit VERY tight, in fact my 76csx is on it's way to garmin right now because one of the battery tabs broke. This is probably because the rechargeable battery companies are pushing the size limits as far as they can to try and tweak a little more volume for extra capacity.

That said the runtime is good, signal performance is amazing, probably the best unit on the market right now for a reasonable price anyway. If they fixed or gave us everything we wouldn't buy the next model <_<

Mapsend lets one categorize waypoints - but what for - the 60cx cxz doesn't use it - it will sort by icon.

Need to be able to sort, display, categorize waypoints separate from Cache waypoints. I use mine for fishing, driving, and caching - sometimes all 3.

Needs to be able to load waypoints to card with NO limit.

Do not like tracks - seems cumbersome to stop one and start a new one - but I may be missing something. For me I'd like to start a new one when I start the hike and stop it when I get back.

Topo Maps - 20 years - but if you buy a paper one most are that old anyway. I'd like to know when they actually were created but I don't have any newer paper ones to compare with.

Anyone know of any online, with date, etc. to compare?

I'd like a BIGGER screen - but I can't see anyway...

I like the way you can personalize most any screen - I'd like a blank page of fields to add your own.

Don't like the location of plugs either.

I don't like the night setting at all and turned mine off.

Would like MORE volume and a volume control, in car it's hard to hear.

The custom field pages would be sweet, that is another thing I'd love to see. The user should be able to create a page similar to the Trip data page only with whatever fields they want to use, and they should bring back the option to put 3 data fields across so you can get more data on a screen as they do with the 76s.

That way you can made a data/info page for hiking, or biking, or driving, etc. because going through and changing all the fields manually on the single page for different uses is just annoying.

I think one of the biggest problems with the topos is not that they are old, because many topo's you buy at the USGS etc. are that old. It's just that if you are going to put all 24 states of topo data on 2 CD's they have to cut out a lot of detail, and even the good 100K topo maps are not that useful on a small scale.

Couple of questions.

1 What is the grey dot with a red center on the satellite screen?

2 Is there a fix for the moving cursor when the unit is stationary? (I'm on version 3.0)

3 In the Map view when you press Menu\Setup Map

General section- What does Auto Zoom do?

Points section- What does Land Cover do?

Text section- What does Land Cover do?

4 I noticed that there is a water temp section. How is it able to determine water temp?

Also I think I need to change the title of this topic. Can that be done?

Edited by mbarr69

1) The direction you are moving or facing.

2) The compass is on and it is moving as you move the unit around.

3) Auto zoom adjusts the zoom when you are routing to keep the current position and next waypoint on the map screen. As you get closer, it zooms in.

Land cover: Water, marsh, stuff like that.

1) The direction you are moving or facing.

2) The compass is on and it is moving as you move the unit around.

3) Auto zoom adjusts the zoom when you are routing to keep the current position and next waypoint on the map screen. As you get closer, it zooms in.

Land cover: Water, marsh, stuff like that.

Cool. Thanks! <_<

Press [menu]-[menu]-"setup"-"display"-backlight timeout and set it to "stays on"

[menu] indicates button, "setup" indicates icon on display

ProsperoDK/René

Thank you.

I was sure that when I looked before, it was a maximum of two or three minutes!

Has it changed recently or has it always been the same?

I usually leave it to time out the backlight to save the batteries. The backlight sucks them down much faster.

Note that it will stay on with out changing the timeout if it is connected via the power adpter / usb cord to either a PC or a ciggerette lighter in the car, just turn it on via a quick push of the power button.

CHECK OUT THIS DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingston 2GB miniSD Card, SDM/2GB $34.99

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4922971

mini SD is NOT microSD, which you need for a Garmin... ;)

The 2GB microSD cards are now getting more reasonable. With tax and shipping, I found one on Amazon for a total of $55.77. Includes a regular SD card adaptor.

Edited by FlagMan

I've found two things I would improve on the 60csx.

1) Find Nearest for freeway use.

Find Nearest sorts radially outwards centered on the unit. For static use this is perfect. But on a freeway going 80mph, it'd be nice to have a "Find Nearest In Direction of Travel", where I could find a gas station ahead on me on the freeway.

2) With both city navigator and topo maps installed, if you have all maps hidden but topo displayed (for a hike say) and then get back in the car, mysteriously you cannot route. The error message is "no road near starting point" (I was on Hw49 in CA, a major road). I eventually discovered this is because topo is displayed and city nav is not. Show city nav and routing works fine. Language like Show & Hide suggests you're changing only the display; it isn't obvious that it would disable routing.