50 states geocaching coins?

ClayC

nscaler's thread about the "geocachine zone" breaking the US up into time zones with 4 individual coins got me thinking.

Has anyone ever thought of doing 50 individual coins in the actual shape of all the states, that when put together would form a large map of the US??

THAT would be VERY cool! Probably very costly, and very time consuming, but wow would that be a neat set to collect!

Edited by ClayC

I have thought about it, but it is a pretty daunting task. Probably an investment $50,000 and once started pretty much requires a commitment to see it through. This is why I have not taken it on.

Let me add a question: How many people would be willing to commit, say $300 up front to a project like this? If there were say 200 people who were willing to make that kind of commitment it could probaby be done.

Edited by southbayday

Yup, it's been discussed here a few times, and the biggest issue always seemed to be how you would handle the size difference between a large state like Texas and a state like Rhode Island. It makes individual state sales difficult to price out and justify. With all the smaller states in the North East, it was suggested to do that coin in a region. But if you think of it, it's not too far removed from the Geocaching Zone coin anyway.

I think an even bigger hurdle is a bit more obvious: Getting the mint to fit the entire batch of coins together perfectly would be a very difficult and unlikely endeavor.

Yup, it's been discussed here a few times, and the biggest issue always seemed to be how you would handle the size difference between a large state like Texas and a state like Rhode Island. It makes individual state sales difficult to price out and justify. With all the smaller states in the North East, it was suggested to do that coin in a region. But if you think of it, it's not too far removed from the Geocaching Zone coin anyway.

I think an even bigger hurdle is a bit more obvious: Getting the mint to fit the entire batch of coins together perfectly would be a very difficult and unlikely endeavor.

A large state like Texas??? :lol::P What about :

alaska-big.png

Edited by scobey

Exactly. Cool project, yes! practical? Only with a lot of money to make it happen and a heck of a good coin maker.

A large state like Texas??? :lol::P What about :

alaska-big.png

That is an awesome picture!

:P:P:lol:

Actually, you might want to check again, because after the August meetings of the IAU, they released this updated chart of the Solar System. Pluto got demoted as a planet, and look who took it's place...

solarsystemupdate.jpg

LOL

Now THAT is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!

Once again, one of YemonYime's parodies reaches uncomfortably close to my perception of reality... :lol:

As I'm preparing to fly to Newark NJ at the end of the month from Anchorage AK -

sort of like flying from beyond the orbit of Neptune to Mercury - this picture helps

me understand in advance why my body is going to resent being folded up for so long...

Ah, the price we Alaskans pay for visiting the inner worlds from our lonely vigil out on the frontier... :P