Motorola Razr car charger for Garmin GPSr power?

DocDiTTo

I've seen a few posts where people mentioned using a Motorola Razr auto charger to power their Garmin GPSr. Just wondering if anyone had any problems doing so? I don't know what the voltage specs of the Razr charger are, or what the Garmin expects to see voltage wise from a power source. Looking to get a car adapter for my garmin, and found Razr chargers for $10, so I might have to buy one. I just don't want to risk toasting my 60CSx.

If Moto is using a standard mini-USB port it should be 5 volts if IIRC. However, they apparently use a slightly intelligent charger that sends "I'm a Moto charger." on the data pins and the phone won't accept a charge from those that don't say that. (Stupid IMHO! :laughing: ) Don't know how another device would behave if it saw that.

A friend who has a RAZR told me this but I have not verified it or asked for more details.

You could get a mini-USB pin out diagram and probe with a voltmeter after putting very fine points on the test leads.

-- Mark

My RAZR's car charger works fine with my LegendC and my 60Cx.

As mentioned above, it's a smart charger. Meaning it has some mystery signal in it that the phone must sense to go into charge mode. End result, you can use the RAZR charger with your phone and your GPSr, but the GPSr's charger will not work with your RAZR.

Doesn't really bother me, as I have several MOTO chargers, and multiple power ports in my truck. I like the MOTO chargers because they have a coiled cable vs the straight, stiff Garmin charger, and keep things orderly on my dash.

I've seen a few posts where people mentioned using a Motorola Razr auto charger to power their Garmin GPSr. Just wondering if anyone had any problems doing so? I don't know what the voltage specs of the Razr charger are, or what the Garmin expects to see voltage wise from a power source. Looking to get a car adapter for my garmin, and found Razr chargers for $10, so I might have to buy one. I just don't want to risk toasting my 60CSx.

I have a GPSmap 60Cx. And a RAZR V3. I use the charger for the RAZR for the GPSr in the car. Works well. And I have been using it for a few months....longest single time with the GPSr plugged in to that charger is about an hour.

I also have an FM transmitter that is normally used with an MP3 player. That transmitter uses the same usb connection as the RAZR or the GPSr for power. It came with a lighter adapter. That adapter will power the GPSr, but not the RAZR. Apparently there's some bit of intelligent electronics in the adapter that works with the RAZR. The GPSr doesn't need any intelligence in the adapter.

Anyway, the RAZR adapter should work.