Waterproof match holders

firemom31

I haven't read anything about these, and wondered if there was any reason not to use them for micros. We are getting our first chache together and want to do a multi. We have three of these little containers and I can't see any drawbacks to them. Any input?

They're used all the time. They're much better than film cans, which aren't watertight.

Target had them in their $1 isle a while back, and I scooped up about 10 (they were already dark green, so that's a hassle-saver). Each one came with 4 boxes of matches, but they're safety matches, which means you can't strike them on the striker bar on the bottom of the match holder. You have to use the strip on the side of the box. I wonder if anyone bought these, filled them up with the matches, and went camping, thinking they were all set to start a fire? :cry:

Edited by Prime Suspect

They are a great choice. Inexpensive, water tight and they can fit a pencil stub. The only drawbacks that I know of are the color (they are usually bright orange) and that the gasket that they come with falls off and gets lost easily, after which its no longer waterproof.

To solve these issues, I've taken to replacing the gasket with a #15 O ring, which stays securely in place and using camo tape to hide the color (see below).

aa2b3c2c-539a-4262-bf44-38af28c0dde0.jpg

They are a great choice. Inexpensive, water tight and they can fit a pencil stub. The only drawbacks that I know of are the color (they are usually bright orange) and that the gasket that they come with falls off and gets lost easily, after which its no longer waterproof.

To solve these issues, I've taken to replacing the gasket with a #15 O ring, which stays securely in place and using camo tape to hide the color (see below).

When I've mixed up some epoxy for some other purpose, I try to remember to use what's left to put a few dabs under the rings of any match containers I've got laying around. Keeps 'em in place.

I haven't read anything about these, and wondered if there was any reason not to use them for micros. We are getting our first chache together and want to do a multi. We have three of these little containers and I can't see any drawbacks to them. Any input?

They're used all the time. They're much better than film cans, which aren't watertight.

Target had them in their $1 isle a while back, and I scooped up about 10 (they were already dark green, so that's a hassle-saver). Each one came with 4 boxes of matches, but they're safety matches, which means you can't strike them on the striker bar on the bottom of the match holder. You have to use the strip on the side of the box. I wonder if anyone bought these, filled them up with the matches, and went camping, thinking they were all set to start a fire? :cry:

I've used these on a couple caches and with great result. The ones I bought were .88 but they were bright orange so I simply painted them. Good Luck.

Besides the losing the "O" ring problem, the "O" ring will fail, getting brittle and breaking up. This happens much faster if you paint it when you paint the matchsafe. The matchsafes do take the Krylon plastic paint quite well, I spray them flat black. And sometimes camo tape them, and sometimes leave them alone. As a stage container well out in the forest, they can be orange.

replacing the gasket with a #15 O ring

This is good to know. I've got a bunch of these out, and buying a bunch of O rings and replacing the original gaskets sounds like the way to go. Anybody know what size O ring the little nitro pill bottles take? Those fail too.

his is good to know. I've got a bunch of these out, and buying a bunch of O rings and replacing the original gaskets sounds like the way to go. Anybody know what size O ring the little nitro pill bottles take? Those fail too.

I don't know about nitro pill bottles, but the small bison cylinders us #6 and the large use #7.

I really like the plastic match containers and really hate the metal ones (they rust and become hard to open and close correctly).

BTW, all film cans are not created equal. The ones with the cap that snaps into the container are better than the ones that snap over the container. I've had one of these in my beta fake rock that I put in our garden two years ago. I check it fairly often and the unprotected log is still bone dry. However, I'd still advise anyone to put the logs in a tiny baggie, just in case.

I really like the plastic match containers and really hate the metal ones (they rust and become hard to open and close correctly).

BTW, all film cans are not created equal. The ones with the cap that snaps into the container are better than the ones that snap over the container. I've had one of these in my beta fake rock that I put in our garden two years ago. I check it fairly often and the unprotected log is still bone dry. However, I'd still advise anyone to put the logs in a tiny baggie, just in case.

I've found a bunch of older film canisters dating back who knows how many years (probably 10-15). Even thought they appear to be the identical to the black ones with the gray lid used today, they have a much tighter seal and are in fact watertight. I don't know when the changeover occurred, but if anybody has a cache of old film canisters sitting in their attic they might make good contianers.

They're great and if you look around you can find them in tan or green plastic instead of orange. That way you can avoid painting them or taping them. For some reason tape seems to bring little chewing critters around for some reason (around our area anyway). Check maybe Gander Mountain or Dicks Sporting Goods and WalMart. I got ours at Gander.

They're great and if you look around you can find them in tan or green plastic instead of orange. That way you can avoid painting them or taping them. For some reason tape seems to bring little chewing critters around for some reason (around our area anyway). Check maybe Gander Mountain or Dicks Sporting Goods and WalMart. I got ours at Gander.

If you use really strong tape, the critters will add to the camo.

I too got a big batch of the green ones at Target - they were a nice dark green. (Also got a good laugh at the type of included matches)

I have used several - they are great. Most all the local micros use those instead of film cans. The only film can one around here gets constant complaints about the damp logs.

If you use really strong tape, the critters will add to the camo.

:lol::P

Funny! Mean, but hysterical :P

I must be purchasing the wrong brands of match containers. I've had three that have failed to stay watertight; all were of different brands. One of my caches is disabled right now due to a moldy log.

The ones I have *found* while geocaching have been watertight.

Are the gaskets still there? I've had a few where the gaskets went missing and the log got wet. Also if the finders don't tighten them firmly water can get in.

Here's what I do. Dab the container with Liquid Nails and wrap it in parachute cord, leave a loop and paint the whole thing the camo of your choice.

If you hang it from a tree limb and shove a handful of Spanish moss inside the loop, it's darned hard to see.

Go ahead and replace the original o-ring, it doesn't last long at all, at least in this climate.

e3331051-e764-4546-b4ad-e613091fbd40.jpg

Coincidentally, I also used a match container for a just released travel bug. Its goal is to take beach sand from Tybee Island Georgia to Waikiki Beach in Hawaii.

2f288df6-50a6-4b84-9f44-2674914c639f.jpg

Edited by Team Teuton

I've used plenty of them. Hot glue or epoxy magnets to them for magnetic hides. Bore a tiny hole in the lid, screw in a small eye hook, and super glue around the shaft of the eye hook to ensure it stays in place and remains water proof for another variation. No matter how you use them, I like to super glue the rubber gasket to the the rim on the bottom half of the container to ensure it dosen't come up missing and therefore stays waterproof. I usually paint mine and have also textured them to better blend in with the natural surroundings.

What eagletrek said, a dab or three of superglue on the o-ring and they don't fall off. The military surplus store here has the od green ones for about $1 and the walmart has the orange ones that everyone else shows for about the same $.

One of the things that several of us carry along is a small box with odds and ends to repair or replace a damaged cache. That includes some spare seals for the bison tubes and match containers.

Target had them in their $1 isle a while back, and I scooped up about 10 (they were already dark green, so that's a hassle-saver). Each one came with 4 boxes of matches, but they're safety matches, which means you can't strike them on the striker bar on the bottom of the match holder. You have to use the strip on the side of the box. I wonder if anyone bought these, filled them up with the matches, and went camping, thinking they were all set to start a fire? :P

I cut the strip off the box and put it inside with the matches. :)