Kansas' Best Geocaching

offthemeter

I'm still a bit of a n00b to geocaching- approaching my 100th find in about 3 months at it. :P I'm from the Wichita area and have basically been caching the south central region, so my experience is limited. I'm curious to know where other posters feel they have found good caching around the state. Winfield has a lot of quality and quantity for it's size. It's a beautiful area as well. Also, Pawnee Prairie park in southwestern Wichita has a lot to offer. I'm headed to Kanopolis State Park this weekend, as I hear it is among the best. What say you? :cry:

Edited by offthemeter

I work in Wichita and live in Pratt. Most of my caches come from Wichita I think.

Wichita does have a lot of good caches.

I am going to the Ellsworth area this weekend. I hope to hit Farris Caves sometime this weekend. My wife and I went north of Russell to grab the German Cave cache this weekend on our way back home from Nebraska. That one is a blast.

I am going to the Ellsworth area this weekend. I hope to hit Farris Caves sometime this weekend. My wife and I went north of Russell to grab the German Cave cache this weekend on our way back home from Nebraska. That one is a blast.

Be sure to look at the several others around the Farris Caves, they are some of the best caches as far as scenic views as you will find in the state. Don't forget your camera either; you'll be glad you brought it. Another thing you won’t want to be without is water, pack a few bottles in some ice, they will quench your thirst at just the right time! Good luck and happy Caching!

People say western Kansas is boring, but that's largely because they only see I-70, which happens to run through the most boring parts of the state.

Some along the Saline river valley north of Russell and Hays, such as the Codell Cache, Afghan Hideout, and German Cave have outstanding views and a little history as well. Many of the wildlife areas in that part of the state usually have some outstanding rugged territory. The extreme northwest corner (last 15-20 miles) has some of the most rugged territory in the state.

Wilson Lake has some absolutely oustanding caches that range from park and grabs with nice views to long hikes through rock bluffs and prairies.

I just completed the Delorme Challenge this week and on that trip my favorite was at the Big Basin/St Jacobs well between Ashland and Meade was really cool (had a tarantula cross the road in front of me). Great views, very isolated.