Unexpected costs?

TeamTettamanti

A few questions from a "newbie"

1. After I purchase a GPS (I'm looking to buy a Garmin Vista CX), what are the additional costs that are necessary to geocache? (not accessories....but necessary(?) purchases, such as map software)

2. Do most mapping GPS's come with preloaded maps? Why do they sell map software packages that cost nearly as much as the GPS itself? Are these just updated maps?

3. How accurate is google earth or google maps compared to a "real" GPS?

4. I have a GPS (it has a compass and a place where it tells coordinates but in the wrong format from Navtel.com) on my nextel phone....how accurate is this compared to a "real" GPS?

Thanks in advance!

Chris from

TeamTettamanti

Map software is not necessary by any means. I find Google Earth and Google Maps to be wholly adequate for geocaching.

The GPS on your Nextel phone should be as accurate as any other. It might not be as sensitive as some. You might look into the Trimble Outdoors software that you can get for Nextel phones that turns them into a "real" gps. I got my first (and only) FTF with the Trimble software on a Boost Mobile phone.

Your GPS has basic maps already installed for the US and Canada. Basic means that it has every major road such as interstates and major county roads, not secondary roads. I think you will find the cost of the map upgrade well worth it. However you can live without having the upgrade. I did for years.

El Diablo

A few answers

1 - gas - you will become addicted to this and find yourself driving to a lot of strnge places - trade items for when you find a cache, go to a dollar store - All you really hneed is the GPS and a means to get you close.

2 - Mapping GPS come with a "basemap" I have always found those to be quite adequate for geocaching but if you want to use your GPS for autorouting in your car then you will need the addtional maps - they cost so much because they are propritary and a source of revenue

3 - Google Earth in many cases estimates the coords and has been known to show locations (around me) as much as a few hundred feet off. Many times it is dead on but you just never know for sure. It makes a great planning tool though.

4 - The phone solution works with addtional software but real GPS's are far more rugged and can take abuses the many trails offer much better (drops, falls, water, dust, dirt, etc...)

Have fun with this!!!

Absolutely nothing else is required but the GPS to find caches (and no, you don't even need that technically).

However, gas can be considered an additional cost, I suppose.

What you will find though is a lot of "nice to have" costs, such as a premium membership at geocaching.com, or a PDA for going paperless, costs with registering some software (GSAK or Cachemate), or as you even said, more detailed maps.

But again, nothing but the GPS is absolutely essential. And batteries. And a pen to sign the log with. :cry:

Edited by ThePropers
2. Do most mapping GPS's come with preloaded maps? Why do they sell map software packages that cost nearly as much as the GPS itself? Are these just updated maps?

Most units come with very basic maps. They show major roads and that's about it. They are pretty useless for most applications.

The detailed mapping software comes with a lot more. For instance Garmin's City Navigator V8 (which the Vista CX uses) has most major and local roads and does autorouting, meaning that it gives you turn by turn directions to your destination. A very useful feature (I don't know how I lived without it).

It also comes with a database of over 5 million businesses and services. If you're out of town and want to know where the nearest post office, gas station, hotel, restaurant (sorted by type of cuisine), auto repair shop, police station, hair salon, pub, shopping mall, boat rental, museum, park, etc... is, City Navigator will tell you and give you turn by turn directions there. Its saved my arse several times when I was driving on "E" in a strange town and needed to find the nearest gas station. After you use City Navigator for a while you'll wonder why its so cheap.

There is also topo mapping software available that shows you terrain features, like cliffs, hills, ravines, mountians, streams, swamps and lakes. This is useful when hiking or seeking caches in the woods. It's very helpful knowing what lies between you and the cache.

Edited by briansnat

2 - Mapping GPS come with a "basemap" I have always found those to be quite adequate for geocaching but if you want to use your GPS for autorouting in your car then you will need the addtional maps - they cost so much because they are propritary and a source of revenue

Also, they don't come pre-loaded on most GPS units because they take a substantial amount of memory space. Typically, you will either buy a map software package and load only the local maps you need onto the GPS unit, or buy memory cards which contain maps.

Having enough memory pre-installed in a GPS unit to hold all maps for North America would most likely raise the cost astronomically.

My inexpensive Garmin eTrex legend cost $60 used on eBay - it retails for something like $130. The Garmin detailed map software for all of North America costs about $180; I got a copy of the last version (more than adequate for my purposes) off of eBay for $50.

Now, the Legend only has 8mg of memory, and tthat can only hold the detailed maps for about 1/4 of MD, and the bottom corners of PA and DE. That's all I need for caching, though; if I happen to travel elsewhere, I'll load those local maps instead.

I use the maps mostly when searching for urban caches; they SAVE gas money by helping me when I get stuck just following the GPS arrow. Plus, they've proven handy as a back-up to my paper road atlas.

Edited by cimawr

It also comes with a database of over 5 million businesses and services. If you're out of town and want to know where the nearest post office, gas station, hotel, restaurant (sorted by type of cuisine), auto repair shop, police station, hair salon, pub, shopping mall, boat rental, museum, park, etc... is, City Navigator will tell you and give you turn by turn directions there.

Oh yes - I forgot to mention how useful THAT function is! It's also in V7 (which, as mentioned, I got for $50), and it's been invaluable several times to locate gas stations, and to point me to a Post Office when I was out of town and needed to get something Express Mailed ASAP.

1. After I purchase a GPS (I'm looking to buy a Garmin Vista CX), what are the additional costs that are necessary to geocache? (not accessories....but necessary(?) purchases, such as map software)

That's it. Basic membership here is free, and all you need to go geocaching is a GPS and the coordinates of the cache. And some die-hards even manage to do it without the GPS!

Everything else (maps, software, etc) is just nice-to-have stuff.

Many/most GPSr units come with basic maps, which are low detail, lacking many streets, etc. The additional maps have (ideally) all streets, as well as useful points of interest. Not required, but remarkably handy both for geocaching and regular use.

I've found them to be very accurate, pretty much on a par with my GPSr. That's what the "without GPSr" folks use to do their geocaching.

you may want to give up this hobby now before you find out all the things you need.

I needed a new 4X4 to keep up with my fellow cachers $25,000 (on sale)

I needed a Garmin 60CX and a memory card cause my 60Cs just didn't hold signal well enough in heavy cover. $319 + $20.

I find I need more things every time i go caching.

My wife needs her own GPS.

My wife likes my new 4X4, I may not get to drive it very much.

:cry:

I had to buy a new tire for my jeep, cause one of the sites I parked at had nails on the ground. :cry:

that's about it. other than buying swag and cache containers, camo tape, gas for trips, new hiking boots, extra bug spray, more swag, a laminator, some log books, new ziplock bags... hmm guess I have bought some things I hadn't planned on.

worth it though. :P

I would highly recommend having the following items with you when you geocache:

• Good hiking boots / shoes ~$100
  • A Camelback with storage to hold: ~$70
  • Sunscreen ~$5
  • Insect Repellent ~$5
  • Cell phone
  • Spare set of batteries for your GPS ~$5
  • Pens and geocaching sheets

One big thing I haven't seen, which is not strictly necessary per se, but I find a compass invaluable. As for the rest, it depends on what you like to carry with you to make your caching life easier-

I have a Treo 650 phone that I use to store the web pages of caches (paperless. Printing the page w/ map is just as good)

Clipboard - Good for paper, and good cover in muggle infested areas

Swag - again optional. I've traded Twice I think

H20 - If you're spoiled like me you'll have bottled.

Time - GC'ing is a big time killer. You can kill 15 minutes or an entire day depending on where you are and how many you're searching for. I don't know aobut the rest of you, but I only have 2 days off per week and a pregant wife. Time's a bit of a commodity recently...Welcome to caching!

Hiking poles/walking staff are invaluable. it lets you poke and prod around the cache before you stick your hand in there. Necessary in any state/area that has dangerous snakes or other assorted nasties.

Always carry a good amount of water.

Batteries as people said, I'm lucky, both my gps's take double a's and I get 48 for 6 bucks at work, they may not last quite as long, but 48 goes a long way.

I don't have the maps on my gps, I don't really cache too far from my known area, and still have found many really cool places. Having the major highways only makes for a nice clean screen when you are approaching the cache site. I would buy the maps when I move to a new area, but as of yet, there are no buyable maps for the area I plan to go. (tokyo, definately gonna be using my gps there a lot, easy to get lost)

I find the premium membership to be very worth it as well, pq's, notifications, member only caches, all are great.

Good hiking shoes, a must if you are going for more than urban caches. comfort is the key.

/rambling, I really should go to bed.

Aside from the stuff mentioned. If your going to be in the woods at all and most caches are in the "wild" be prepared as if you were camping. Flashlight, whistle, first aid kit, water and food and so on. Never go into the woods unprepared

Yep! And take your cell phone, if you've got one. Even in relatively mild terrain, it's always possible to trip or slip and hurt yourself.

Costs.

Interesting. I was mentioning geocaching to some fellow scouters, and one kept claiming it was 'very expensive'. I kept saying it only cost about $150 or so for a decent GPSr, but she kept claiming the costs were more. Never understood her point, and I quickly dropped it.

I do enough 'outside stuff', that I had most of the stuff already to go geocaching.

What have I spent (or not)?

* GPS and carrying case. I've never invested in any maps for it. $180.

* shoes, hat, knapsack, first aid kit, compass, bug repellant, sun screen, walking stick. $0 because I already had all this.

* trade items. $20 or so

* notebook to record finds. $10 (not needed, but I wanted to do this)

* park admission. I got year passes for visiting parks in my state and county. $40-50.

* GC.com premium membership. Not needed, but useful, so I got it.

Now, if you get into geocoins, that is a cost. If you get into placing caches, that will cost, but finding caches? A GPSr and you're set. Really, everything else is extra.

I'll tell you it's not cheap. I have a top shelf unit and here are my approximate costs so far:

Garmin 76GSx = $ 340

Garmin carrying case = $12

Garmin North America City Navigator Maps = $109

Garmin dash mount = $28

Garmin auto power supply = $25

Extra memory $11

GSAK registration = $25

Cachemate registration = $8

Second hand PDA = $61

Note book = $4

Box of swag for trading = $20

Geocaching.com membership = $30

TOTAL = $673

Now I could have got a cheaper unit so shave $120 off the GPSr and $ 30 off the second hand PDA for a "cheap" total of 523. I don't see how you can get away for less than $500.

Edited because I forgot my geocaching membership

Edited by Ann_Brush

I'll tell you it's not cheap. I have a top shelf unit and here are my approximate costs so far:

Garmin 76GSx = $ 340

Garmin dash mount = $28

Extra memory $11

GSAK registration = $25

Second hand PDA = $61

Note book = $4

TOTAL = $673

Now I could have got a cheaper unit so shave $120 off the GPSr and $ 30 off the second hand PDA for a "cheap" total of 523. I don't see how you can get away for less than $500.

All that, plus a 4x4, at 4,200. Gas for the 4x4 5,000. The GPS ended up being cheap by comparison.

To go geocaching... my costs...

Gas.... $whatever.

Trade items (bought at Family Dollar) $10

GPSr .. already had one I was using for something else, but it did cost $90, so....$90

Paper and ink to print cache pages.... almost nothing.

That's it.

Total cost ... if I had to buy the GPSr..... $100. + gas

<snip>

TOTAL = $673

Now, before we scare off the other newbies...

Many of these things aren't really vital. Yeah, the dash mount isn't such a bad idea, if you're driving by yourself. The maps can't hurt when you're in unfamiliar territory, but a little research on GoogleMaps or the like can do nearly the same job. I don't have a need for the case, just use a strap (included with mine) to hang around your neck.

About the only money I've spent is for a few trackables (coins and bugs), CacheMate, and my Premium Membership, all things I wanted to do. Fortunately, the GPSr was a gift, but that's only $100 for a basic unit. You could spend more on that, if you had other uses in mind (automapping, etc.).

Your costs may vary, but you can get away pretty inexpensively (if you like), or at least not as expensively as above.

As mentioned in other places, the biggest cost you may find - after the GPSr - is gasoline. You'll discover you want to travel the area a bit more than is normal.

Actually, I'm surprised I haven't upgraded my GPSr and loaded up on stuff. That's my usual trick - get into something, and try to get the 'best' gear I can find.

What do you figure your spare time is worth if you have any. Multiply that by every bit of spare time you have. Be sure to count the searches to and from work, evenings, weekends, stops at Mickey D's or more expensive places to eat. Compare this addiction to the price of some others you might have, including the Illegal ones (just kidding <_< ) and you will see that geocaching saves you money. Anyway there is a lot of truth to the statements that "all work and no play makes Jack and Jill dull," and "He who dies with the most toys wins."

Your just gonna love doin this and that is a priceless feeling. :blink:

Chris from

TeamTettamanti

If you want more accuracy for a particular cache, copy the coords from the cache page, paste them into the "fly to" slot in Google earth maps, push go...you'll see a mark at the actual coords, sometimes it overlaps the green icon, sometimes not...

Garmin 76GSx = $ 340

Garmin dash mount = $28

Extra memory $11

GSAK registration = $25

Second hand PDA = $61

Note book = $4

TOTAL = $673

I geocached for years, without ANY of that, except for the GPS (a Garmin GPSII+ which I got with my REI annual rebate, so it was essentially free) and my Premium Charter Membership (once memberships became available).

Pretty much everything you've listed comes under the Nice To Have But You Really Don't Need It category. And a couple of those I wouldn't even categorize as Nice To Have.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Besides the software, hardware, and various supplies, here's a few unexpected costs I've encountered or thought of:

Brand new blue jeans - first day I wore them got ripped by a piece of barbed wire attached to a tree = $30.

Poison ivy cream - $30.

Parking violations - one for parking by the side of a country road, one that I put 30 minutes on the meter but took 40 minutes to find the cache, and one I got in the same parking lot the cache was in - I swear I was gone all of two minutes and got a ticket (didn't even see them do it - they're fast). All told - $55. (Not too bad for 3 tickets, but still...)

So far no emergency room visits - that would be a $100 deductible right off the bat.

Almost dunked a $400 camera wading across a slippery creek.

There's probably a dozen others things I'm still not expecting..

Besides the software, hardware, and various supplies, here's a few unexpected costs I've encountered or thought of:

Brand new blue jeans - first day I wore them got ripped by a piece of barbed wire attached to a tree = $30.

Poison ivy cream - $30.

Parking violations - one for parking by the side of a country road, one that I put 30 minutes on the meter but took 40 minutes to find the cache, and one I got in the same parking lot the cache was in - I swear I was gone all of two minutes and got a ticket (didn't even see them do it - they're fast). All told - $55. (Not too bad for 3 tickets, but still...)

So far no emergency room visits - that would be a $100 deductible right off the bat.

Almost dunked a $400 camera wading across a slippery creek.

There's probably a dozen others things I'm still not expecting..

Finding the cache...... "PRICELESS"!! Sorry I just HAD to add that Ray

Geocaching in and of itself is fairly inexpensive. A GPSr, some gas for driving around, internet connection and you're good to go.

You'll find it's the resulting obsession with it that gets expensive. See above boots, software, 4x4, kayak, long trips that you swear you're taking just for the trip itself but it's really just an excuse to geocaching somewhere new and exciting... etc, etc, so on and so forth.

Welcome tot he cult. I hope you enjoy yourself. :P

Gas is our biggest expense.

Magellan 400 GPSr -- Free - Company service award gift

Mapsend Software - $100

Magellan+Mapsend came with all the caching software I need so no need for GSAK or cachemate and I use the free MobiPocket reader for the Palm.

Since starting we've spent

2 hiking sticks - $20

Hubby hiking boots - Free company work boot program

My hiking boots - $130

Blank poker chips and wooden nickels to make signature items. - $50

Speeding ticket because I was looking at GPSr while driving - $75

New Jeep doesn't count because I would've bought it even if I wasn't caching.

You can really spend as much or as little as you want.