Signing the log when revisiting a cache

Since the "community standard" (expressed in other threads) is that signing the physical log = finding a cache, I wonder if I should be signing the physical log when I revisit a cache. After all I already found the cache, so how can I sign the log again? I also sometimes sign the log when visiting my own caches to do maintenance. Is this wrong too? :D

Since the "community standard" (expressed in other threads) is that signing the physical log = finding a cache, I wonder if I should be signing the physical log when I revisit a cache. After all I already found the cache, so how can I sign the log again? I also sometimes sign the log when visiting my own caches to do maintenance. Is this wrong too? :D

I don't see a problem with it - you could also post a "note" online that you visited the cache as well - maybe the cache owner would be interested in the condition of the cache at the time of your visit.

seems like you *should* sign the log each time you are there... that would make sense in my opinion. after all, it's a log, that's what logs do.

I don't, but that's because I don't give a carp about log books, and only sign because I've been told it's required. I'm sure I'll be more interested once I get bored with finding them like the old timers seem to.

Can't you people see the folly in your ways? Can anybody give me a good reason to do this other than some variation of the lame 'It's respectful to the cache owner' or 'To record my visit'?

:cry:

Part of the fun of the game for my wife and I is reading the log books to see who has visited, when they visited, what they saw or any other stories they added. The log book logs are a snap shot of what was going on when the cachers hunted the cache so they are more specific to the cache and surrounding area. The online logs tend to me more of how the cache fit into the day of caching.

We do our best to make our logs informative and/or entertaining, we see log book notes and online logs as part of the interaction with other cachers. Therefore, when we revisit a cache we wright a note to share what we were doing and anything we saw that day to share our experience and story with others that will find the cache in th future.

Joe

Can't you people see the folly in your ways? Can anybody give me a good reason to do this other than some variation of the lame 'It's respectful to the cache owner' or 'To record my visit'?

The cache logbook is just a historical account (and proof) of visits to the cache. There's no shame in re-visiting a cache to drop or pick up bugs etc. I log to inform other cachers that I have picked up a particular bug or done a maintenance visit to one of my own caches etc. To me it would be interesting to read the logbook and discover that I missed another cacher by say 15 minutes. I could care less if it was his second visit to the cache... the log entry would be enjoyed and appreciated.

If visiting to swap or drop TB or coin the paper log is part of the "paper trail" for those things. Also, it forces you to stay at the cache a little bit longer to feed the local mosquitoes and black flies. God know we don't provide them enough opportunity to suck our blood. :P

Loch Cache

Since the point of the logbook is to be a record of visitors, I record my visit every time.

What he said with this addition:

Since the point of the logbook is to be a record of visitors, I record my visit nearly every time.

There are a few TB hotels that I frequently keep stocked and trade from, often late at night. I revisit so often that possibly 20%-30% of the logs would be mine if I signed every time.

The reason I see is so that there is some indication as to who is responsible for stealing the geocoins out of the local caches. My wife found a Rose Compass coin back in July and moved it to a new cache a few weeks later. The next person who signed the log and/or posted on-line said that the coin was missing from the new location when they got there. Because the other visitor didn't sign the log, the coin owner doesn't know who's kneecaps to have broken for stealing his geocoin. When we first found the Rose Compass coin in a cache, we were amazed to find something this nice in a cache, and it even prompted us to buy one for each of us when the "Gold Rose Compass" coin was released a short time back. There seems to have been an increase in the number of coins that have been vanishing from the local caches lately. We need everyone to sign the log for every visit so we know who to send Guido to visit... :P:cry:

I always write a note in the log if I take or swap a coin or TB and I think other people should too so cachers know that a coin/TB has been moved and not stolen.

I don't bother writing in the log for cache maintenance stops or if I am just walking by a cache I've already found and decide to have a look.

The reason I see is so that there is some indication as to who is responsible for stealing the geocoins out of the local caches. My wife found a Rose Compass coin back in July and moved it to a new cache a few weeks later. The next person who signed the log and/or posted on-line said that the coin was missing from the new location when they got there. Because the other visitor didn't sign the log, the coin owner doesn't know who's kneecaps to have broken for stealing his geocoin. When we first found the Rose Compass coin in a cache, we were amazed to find something this nice in a cache, and it even prompted us to buy one for each of us when the "Gold Rose Compass" coin was released a short time back. There seems to have been an increase in the number of coins that have been vanishing from the local caches lately. We need everyone to sign the log for every visit so we know who to send Guido to visit... :laughing::rolleyes:

I'l admit that every one of my previous responses to this thread have been in jest. However, your post would tend to make me not resign the log as, apparently, that could be used as 'evidence' that I absconded with your coin.

The reason I see is so that there is some indication as to who is responsible for stealing the geocoins out of the local caches. My wife found a Rose Compass coin back in July and moved it to a new cache a few weeks later. The next person who signed the log and/or posted on-line said that the coin was missing from the new location when they got there. Because the other visitor didn't sign the log, the coin owner doesn't know who's kneecaps to have broken for stealing his geocoin. When we first found the Rose Compass coin in a cache, we were amazed to find something this nice in a cache, and it even prompted us to buy one for each of us when the "Gold Rose Compass" coin was released a short time back. There seems to have been an increase in the number of coins that have been vanishing from the local caches lately. We need everyone to sign the log for every visit so we know who to send Guido to visit... :lol::P

I'l admit that every one of my previous responses to this thread have been in jest. However, your post would tend to make me not resign the log as, apparently, that could be used as 'evidence' that I absconded with your coin.

No kidding. I drop a coin, sign the log, post online, then someone else steals it and it's my fault? Hardly. Or maybe you believe the person who dropped it. And apparenty you believe the person who reported the coin is missing. Ah, so it's that guy who either didn't look for a coin or report it missing but signed the log book. That dirty rat!

Edited by BlueDeuce
The reason I see is so that there is some indication as to who is responsible for stealing the geocoins out of the local caches. My wife found a Rose Compass coin back in July and moved it to a new cache a few weeks later. The next person who signed the log and/or posted on-line said that the coin was missing from the new location when they got there. Because the other visitor didn't sign the log, the coin owner doesn't know who's kneecaps to have broken for stealing his geocoin. When we first found the Rose Compass coin in a cache, we were amazed to find something this nice in a cache, and it even prompted us to buy one for each of us when the "Gold Rose Compass" coin was released a short time back. There seems to have been an increase in the number of coins that have been vanishing from the local caches lately. We need everyone to sign the log for every visit so we know who to send Guido to visit... :lol::P

No kidding. I drop a coin, sign the log, post online, then someone else steals it and it's my fault? Hardly. Reminds me of that ol' 17 phonebook thing.

I have been LTP (Last To Place) on several geocoins. Then their owners email ME looking for them. What's the point in that? I even had one DEMAND that I go back to a cache and check for it. :P

NOW, I only move traveling coins hand to hand and that's usually at events. That way I can point any owners toward the person who last had it. I've had to do that a few times now and it works for me.

No kidding. I drop a coin, sign the log, post online, then someone else steals it and it's my fault? Hardly. Or maybe you believe the person who dropped it. And apparenty you believe the person who reported the coin is missing. Ah, so it's that guy who either didn't look for a coin or report it missing but signed the log book. That dirty rat!

I ran into a situation like that. Dropped a couple of coins into a geocoin cache/hotel. The next cacher (Cacher A) logged them out and back into the cache. The next cache (Cacher :D reports them missing. The cache owner and I are feeling really bad about this! Cache Owner checks the cache, and, indeed, they are missing. Page forward a few months... Cacher C picks up both geocoins. As far as anyone can tell, Cacher C (who happens to be related to Cacher A) was in an entirely different state on that day, and never visited the cache in question. Being nosy, and checking, it turns out that Cachers A and C have also deposited a number of geocoins in an unapproved cache in a third state. The evidence is circumstantial, but, darn it looks incriminating.

I ran into a situation like that. Dropped a couple of coins into a geocoin cache/hotel. The next cacher (Cacher A) logged them out and back into the cache. The next cache (Cacher B ) reports them missing. The cache owner and I are feeling really bad about this! Cache Owner checks the cache, and, indeed, they are missing. Page forward a few months... Cacher C picks up both geocoins. As far as anyone can tell, Cacher C (who happens to be related to Cacher A) was in an entirely different state on that day, and never visited the cache in question. Being nosy, and checking, it turns out that Cachers A and C have also deposited a number of geocoins in an unapproved cache in a third state. The evidence is circumstantial, but, darn it looks incriminating.

(Dang, it's been a few weeks. I had to read my own posting three times to figure out what I was talking about. Normally it only takes me twice :D )