Geocaches on TV or Movies

I was watching TV the other day (I forget what show it was) and there was an urban scene in some big city. I started thinking about geocaching and I wondered if there were any hidden in that location. I decided to post my thoughts and issue a challenge as well. I wonder how many caches have been on film without the producers knowledge.

I realize that most movies and TV shows are filmed in studios, away from public access, but there are some parts of movies, news casts and tv shows filmed in the public. With that in mind, has anyone ever been watching tv, news or a movie and noticed a cache location on the screen? The challenge is to keep an eye out, and post a picture of a cache location you have seen on tv. You get bonus points if the actual container is visible.

Edited by rasj

Was watching the evening news once about a year ago and they ran a very short story on Geocaching. I told my wife - "Hey that looks like my "Olive Pit" cache". Moments later they showed a wider shot - it was my cache. Sort of a remote way of seeing that it was ok. That was a year or more ago.

I just this moment stumbled into a segment on NH Chronicle called A Historic Look At Dublin, NH. On the program, they showed a view of the headquarters of Yankee Magazine, which I recognized immediately. It's the site of the only Webcam cache I've done: Yankee Ingenuity Webcam. They actually showed the area where the webcam is located. :lol:

They also showed a passing shot of nearby Mount Monadnock, which is the home of several caches.

I have seen a couple of movies that include a scene from the NYC Public library, which is the location of my Bryant Park Micro cache.

Central Park also has caches in close proximity to areas usually shot in films and TV shows.

Stuart Little has a few in them a really old 1 i cant remember name though.

I set one near an intersection a couple weeks ago. 3 days after I planted it a horrific accident that nearly killed a man occured right there. I could see the bush the cache was hidden in on the news that night. It survived but the poor people in the mini van almost didn't.

Geocaching is mentioned in my kids Nancy Drew computer game. They actually use a GPSr to help solve the mystery.

Could you let me know the title of that game? My daughter has two titles and enjoys them, and Christmas is coming... Thanks!

Beth

My daughter loves the Nancy Drew games! I would also love to know the name of that game, please?

Geocaching is mentioned in my kids Nancy Drew computer game. They actually use a GPSr to help solve the mystery.

Could you let me know the title of that game? My daughter has two titles and enjoys them, and Christmas is coming... Thanks!

Beth

My daughter loves the Nancy Drew games! I would also love to know the name of that game, please?

Those games are great! We got started in them from a friend of mine whose 60 yr old mom got her started playing the game. Adults have just as much fun at them! (She was a great friend. She got me started in geocaching too!) The game that mentions geocaching is Danger on Deception Island. It uses a GPSr for sure, and some of the later ones after that does too we think, but haven't played them yet to see.

actually. if you watch ghost hunter on scifi, then you may have seen many geocaches. i am watching it right now and they are at west virginia penitentiary. there is a geocache where you have to go to the penitentiary to get info to complete the cache. just as well as i have seen them go to many places and seen that there is a cache there. just last week they were here in arizona, and you can see a cache when they go to tombstone. any way, watch ghost hunters and you will probably see many.

Edited by JDubPooch

actually. if you watch ghost hunter on scifi, then you may have seen many geocaches. i am watching it right now and they are at west virginia penatery. there is a geocache where you have to go to the penatery to get info to complete the cache. just as well as i have seen them go to many places and seen that there is a cache there. just last week they were here in arizona, and you can see a cache when they go to tombstone. any way, watch ghost hunters and you will probably see many.

I have never heard of a penatery, so I googled it. It asked if I meant "penitentiary"??

there is a commercial on tv right now.... it may be for jeans or something..

they are playing a song, "I walk the line"

it shows a man, and a woman walking in straight lines, over tables, through windows, over cars, heading in the same direction -- ignoring any easier route in favor of walking in a straight line.

I'm certain they are both geocachers.

it shows a man, and a woman walking in straight lines, over tables, through windows, over cars, heading in the same direction -- ignoring any easier route in favor of walking in a straight line.

...now that's funny.... :unsure:

Man, I thouht the exact same thing when I saw that commercial! I said to myself, "So THAT'S what I look like before I start walking around in circles."

actually. if you watch ghost hunter on scifi, then you may have seen many geocaches. i am watching it right now and they are at west virginia penatery. there is a geocache where you have to go to the penatery to get info to complete the cache. just as well as i have seen them go to many places and seen that there is a cache there. just last week they were here in arizona, and you can see a cache when they go to tombstone. any way, watch ghost hunters and you will probably see many.

I have never heard of a penatery, so I googled it. It asked if I meant "penitentiary"??

thanks for correcting my spelling.

I was watching TV the other day (I forget what show it was) and there was an urban scene in some big city. I started thinking about geocaching and I wondered if there were any hidden in that location. I decided to post my thoughts and issue a challenge as well. I wonder how many caches have been on film without the producers knowledge.

I realize that most movies and TV shows are filmed in studios, away from public access, but there are some parts of movies, news casts and tv shows filmed in the public. With that in mind, has anyone ever been watching tv, news or a movie and noticed a cache location on the screen? The challenge is to keep an eye out, and post a picture of a cache location you have seen on tv. You get bonus points if the actual container is visible.

I went to drop off a bug yesterday at a popular cache and was called to by a security guard,Hey what ya doing?" Like a dummy i said geocaching, he looked confused, said cant go there were filming,(of course i saw all the extra cars around and figured it out) but he let me continue, Iguess i didnt look like a poperazzi!!!