Funny Story Involving Caching, Meth Labs and the Sheriff

Let me start by saying we live is a very small rural area where the legal system isn't always there to protect and serve. It's so bad that out of town attorneys call it "Hazzard County" and refuse to take on cases in our county. You must be a member of the right church to get "justice" around here. (which btw, we are not so we try to keep a low profile)

Two nights ago some caching friends of ours found one of our hides and it had a business card from the sheriff's dept with a note asking that a gamer contact them. Being from Hazzard Co we were a little frightened to call. I was imagining a whole list of bogus charges that were going to be filed against us the minute we admitted to ownership. But since Mr. G placed the cache so I was gonna let him have the tickets, fines, jail time etc. :D

So I call and here's what happened: Two hunters were out scoping possible hunting locations. They happened to see the cache which is in a big metal container. It was very well hidden but I don't want to give too much detail or I'll give it away. They called the game warden who called the Sheriff. Now I've heard several stories about bomb squads being called, I've NEVER heard this.... they thought we were cooking crystal meth in a big metal container in the middle of the woods! LMAO! They didn't call the fire dept or the bomb squad, they just opened it right up...gotta love the rednecks. :D

In the end we weren't in trouble, he just wanted to know who in the area was playing the game. I explained to him that caches are sometimes mistaken for bombs and he says he'll call me to see if the next bomb/meth lab is a cache before they blow it up.

Just a funny story I wanted to share.....

(p.s. yes the container is very clearly marked as a geo cache, but that doesn't mean anything to someone who has never heard of it)

Now I've heard several stories about bomb squads being called, I've NEVER heard this.... they thought we were cooking crystal meth in a big metal container in the middle of the woods! LMAO!

I've heard of clandestine meth labs hidden in the woods. It is a common occurance in some areas. About 8 years ago my father's house burnt down, and the fire dept thought his house was meth lab because of all the glass carboys he had, in the yard. In reality, he was a recreational zymurgist.

They didn't call the fire dept or the bomb squad, they just opened it right up...gotta love the rednecks.

Nothing like making fun of, and stereotyping "white folk," who live in the countryside. :D

Edited by Kit Fox

I've heard of clandestine meth labs hidden in the woods. It is a common occurance in some areas. About 8 years ago my father's house burnt down, and the fire dept thought the had a meth lab because of all the glass carboys he had on the yard. In reality, he was a recreational zymurgist.

Gee, I'm not the only one!

Actually, I find it interesting that the sheriff would want to know who plays the game - does he want to keep a special eye on these potentially dangerous geocachers?

Sounds like a chance to restore faith and relationships with the Sheriff!

He obviously didn't really believe it to be dangerous, or he would't have opened it. Even us rednecks have some common sense! Well, most if us anyway! Sometimes you can tell: Did he holler "Hey Y'all! Watch this!" before he flipped the latch? :cry: That's always an indication.

I think any lawman would be curious about who was wandering his area doing something as silly-sounding (to some) as geocaching.

Then, he said he'd check with you before treating caches as bombs, so he is trusting you.

For what it's worth, being from Deep South Alabama and growing up with small-town rednecks, I can tell you that a "Hazzard County" can be the safest place to live... if, of course, you are one of them!

Maybe host a local Meet & Greet event, arrange for the Sheriff and his Deputies to attend - you might make geocaching and geocacher relationships better for everyone involved.

Ed

Meth labs in rural and wooded areas is, unfortunately, nothing new for rural law enforcement, game wardens, park rangers and other type of law enformcement far removed from the 'urban' drug scene. Some states have gone as far to include meth lab education in thier hunter safety courses.

As Keruso mentions, there was a thread that talked about this in the hunt/unusual that linked to a really informative article. Sadly, I'm too lazy to find it and link ya to it.