Satellitte #31

Whilst using my GPSmap 76CSx yesterday I received satellite #31. It was at full strength but was always flashing and never a solid bar. Reception ceased at 17:54 BST. At the same time I was also receiving EGNOS #37 for much of the time. I understand that the 76 CSx will only receive 1 WAAS/EGNOS at a time. I have never seen a GPS satellite with number > 30 before so my question is, what is satellite #31?

Whilst using my GPSmap 76CSx yesterday I received satellite #31. It was at full strength but was always flashing and never a solid bar. Reception ceased at 17:54 BST. At the same time I was also receiving EGNOS #37 for much of the time. I understand that the 76 CSx will only receive 1 WAAS/EGNOS at a time. I have never seen a GPS satellite with number > 30 before so my question is, what is satellite #31?

:D Big Brother is Watching! :D

31 Launched 25 SEP 2006

The newest of the GPS (not WAAS) sats. It is second of the new generation gps sats with a stronger signal and civilian duel band signal. Probably flashing because it may still be in test phase.

Yes, as I have always understood, you will see sats in test mode (They were just launched or relocated to another orbit) but not get a lock. I have heard this is because they are sending a signal but there is no GPS useful data in it.

I have to say it is pretty neat to see a sat in test mode for some time and then watch it come online and be useful.

Edited by MrMullen

31 Launched 25 SEP 2006

The newest of the GPS (not WAAS) sats. It is second of the new generation gps sats with a stronger signal and civilian duel band signal. Probably flashing because it may still be in test phase.

EraSeek, I'm just curious how did you find out that GPS 2R-15 Launched 25 SEP 2006 has been given SVN 31 ?

Edited by Jim W

Yes I got #31 today too.

Maybe someone smater than me can interpret this on #31:

B. ADVISORIES:

NANU MSG DATE/TIME PRN TYPE SUMMARY (JDAY/ZULU TIME START - STOP)

2006079 211403Z AUG 2006 15 UNUSUFN 233/1358-/

2006095 222023Z SEP 2006 24 UNUSUFN 265/2015-/

2006096 240059Z SEP 2006 24 UNUSABLE 265/2015-267/0056

2006112 122301Z OCT 2006 31 USABINIT 285/2253-/

Wow, Sat 31 went operational really fast (only a couple weeks after launch). The new WAAS birds have been in testing for months, although they do need to be highly accurate for aviation. I guess we don't need such accurate sats to drop bombs or anything, so it would be silly to waste our time fine tuning the system :(

I started picking up 31 last night, and for my area it's overhead about 6am-noon, then it disappears. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Robert (Team CypherX)

I understood that satellite numbers above 30 were for WAAS / EGNOS and since this bird has been available (first spotted it on 12th -flashing, and fully locked since) I have never once got a WAAS lock here in the south west of the UK. My old Etrex seemed to work great getting the Ds, but my new 60csx has always been a bit more reluctant. Now even though I have WAAS enabled, Sat 31 invariably takes up the last slot on the screen - although I have sometimes seen 37 in that position.

Just curious really, even without the Ds I still get an average epe of about 12ft.