Our East Coast A.P.E. Cache has gone missing!

avroair

That does not surprise me. What does surprise me is it took this long. The big pile of sticks was blatantly obvious to anyone within 300 feet.

Hopefully someone will replace it.

Replacing it is a problem. All the other APE caches were archived after the orginal logbook and container were lost. So I am not sure what will happen to this one.

That does not surprise me. What does surprise me is it took this long. The big pile of sticks was blatantly obvious to anyone within 300 feet.

Agreed. The big pile of sticks about 75 feet from a trail just begged "come look at me". That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that it was an inside job, meaning a disaffected geocacher or former geocacher.

Replacing it is a problem. All the other APE caches were archived after the orginal logbook and container were lost. So I am not sure what will happen to this one.

A big problem considering the implications of this thread.

2 apes in two months missing... very sad... :D:D:D

There is a difference between resurrecting an archived cache and this. If it had been archived I doubt they would bring it back to life, but at the moment its only disabled.

I don't think this had the original logbook anyways (at least I didn't see it) and as I understand things, it wasn't even hidden in the original location. The only thing that was Proj A.P.E. about it was the container and that can be duplicated.

There is a difference between resurrecting an archived cache and this. If it had been archived I doubt they would bring it back to life, but at the moment its only disabled.

While I agree they were talking about unarchiving other ones but I'm saying that it implied that no original container and no original log book makes it no longer an ape cache, just a large container. (I also give you that all of the original log books are full and/or not there but I don't think that was something that could be helped). I don't know what the answer is, I'm just saying to me, it seems like archiving is the proper course of action.

Agreed. The big pile of sticks about 75 feet from a trail just begged "come look at me". That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that it was an inside job, meaning a disaffected geocacher or former geocacher.

If I recall correctly, there was also some kindof pipeline within 50 feet (I assume someone must have to check that pipeline occassionally).

I still lean towards the muggle factor, rather than the inside job. But I suppose we'll never know. I don't recall seeing the original logbook, but I wasn't paying that close of attention to it.

Edited by ThePropers

Hey all

We replaced the original log book once it was full. We still have it and will keep it as a reminder of this great cache. We pulled it from the cache for exactly this reason. We didn't want it to disappear forever if the cache did get stolen.

We have received some clues that it may indeed have been "disgruntled" cachers that caused our beloved A.P.E. to disappear, but without proof, there is nothing gained by going down that route.

Uno and I appreciate all of the input and discussion regarding what should or shouldn't happen with this cache. It has lead us to do some deeper research and a resolution should be soon.

Thanks

Dep&Uno&Co

Hey all

"We have received some clues that it may indeed have been "disgruntled" cachers that caused our beloved A.P.E. to disappear, but without proof, there is nothing gained by going down that route."

Uno and I appreciate all of the input and discussion regarding what should or shouldn't happen with this cache. It has lead us to do some deeper research and a resolution should be soon.

Thanks

Dep&Uno&Co

Maybe there is a chance of getting the original container back, I don't know. I'm sure sorry it is gone. Should have made time to get up there and log it. :cry:

I spent over an hour in the park today looking to see if someone moved it and abandoned it. I stopped into the park office to inquire if it was removed by some park authority as well. Sadly I did not find it. I am going to print up flyers offering a no questions asked reward and post them in hopes of turning up the original container but I think since it has been archived it is impossible to save.

I feel strongly that it should be preserved. While the cache location was a bit exposed I don't think it was discovered but it is possible with all the visits it has gotten that someone noticed the activity off the trail.

More sinister would be the possibility that it was taken by a cacher.

There are those who feel keeping it active after the original container is gone is not authentic but I believe it is the sprit of this cache that made it special. The icon was a big factor but go back and read the logs and you get the understanding that this cache was an adventure in and of itself. People traveled from across the country to find a cache that many had found before. Many people planned vacations and roadtrips around this historic location. The container is easily reproduced and I sincerely doubt anyone would have known the difference had it been replaced. The container was showing signs of wear after years in the woods and probably should have been replaced anyway.

I live close and would be honored to maintain the cache if it can be saved but I think it has been put to rest.

I did talk to the park manager about placing a new cache but it would be just a tribute and not the real thing.In fact I had already placed a small replacement figuring the container would be replaced and the cache would live on.

This cache should be replaced. It was a fun goal to try and get to this one. So what if it’s not the original container, it’s not like this is the Holy Grail. Don’t forget this is just a GAME. Let’s be honest, the biggest reason people came for this one is because of the icon and the history. I think some people take it too seriously about not finding the original. Granted it is much nicer to find the original, but tons of cachers would still come to find the replacement. The replacement wouldn’t cheapen the experience. The experience is what you make of it. It’s not like the cache container or where it was hidden were that unusual anyways. There are other similar large caches out there and this one was filled with the same stuff you’d find in any cache. Like I said, this is just a game and this cache with its unique icon added to the enjoyment. It makes no sense to for this site to deny others the chance to get the APE icon or to be a part of the caches history.

It makes no sense to for this site to deny others the chance to get the APE icon or to be a part of the caches history.

Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the cache owners made the decision. "This site" did not decide to archive the cache listing.

Stupid details. :)

:)

It makes no sense to for this site to deny others the chance to get the APE icon or to be a part of the caches history.

Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the cache owners made the decision. "This site" did not decide to archive the cache listing.

Stupid details. :)

:)

Maybe the cache maintainer acted on better information than we have or was told to archive it? :)

Maybe the cache maintainer acted on better information than we have or was told to archive it? <_<

Just found out there was a business card found at the scene. Nothing on the card other than a name: "Marco Clemente".

Attempts to reach Mr Clemente have failed, we fear it's a pseudonym, and not his real name.

<_<