Wierdest thing you have ever found in a cache

thehelmz

I'm new to geo cashe. Yesterday I left my first cashe. Thinking I was going to be unusual, innovative,,, :lol: until I started reading this thread.

I won't be leaving razor blades or human waste,, but maybe fun stuff to some.

im new to geocaching also, well my family and i are new. well i came accrossed this thread as well and i was wondering about what type to stick in caches. well im glad that there is a sense of humar about most things that people come accrossed. i wont do discusting things , im thinking about maybe doing some things somtimes that are cool yet things u dont see all the time or not very often. :lol:

I'm very new also. I have hidden 3 caches so far. I have been trying to leave trinkets that would appeal to men, women and children/adults.

I'll tell you though -- what's good swag to some may not be for others.

I'm 46 years old and I left my small Yoshi car/action figure in one of the caches. I loved that little thing.. it was a prize at one of my friend's recent partys.

So toys aren't necessarily just for kids. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I load my caches with stuff I would like to find and stuff my 3 yo niece and 9 yo nephew would like.

I have left chewing gum in one cache so maybe that wasn't such a good idea. :lol:

I love the idea of leaving toys that anybody can play with. I'm in my...er...not going to say how old I am, but one of the faves for swag was a pack of those paratrooper army guys from the party store. Everybody loves toys that can fly. Cost under $2.00 for 10 of them.

Also like to pick up tiny swag at toy stores and the dollar store when we go - anything, Got some whistles, a toy compass, (a apropos, don't you think?) a couple of small magnifiers...nice and cheap and fun for all ages. I also own a button press, so I make badges, key chains, and purse mirrors which can be left in a cache if it's a bit bigger than a film canister.

--One of the rules is no food. Too easy for bugs to get at it, and also too easy for food left out in the middle of nowhere to spoil.

--When you place swag, try to remember that parents take their kids caching, and that church groups and scout groups are out there hunting too. Keep the naughty stuff at home.

Apart from that, it's your choice what to leave in a cache. Creative, funny, silly, practical...anything will be appreciated by somebody.

We went to a multi-cache, and in trying to look for the first stage, found what we think is a hunting knife. None of us touched it, for fear that it might have been used in a crime.

We left the area immediately, and went back a few weeks later and found all four stages of the cache.

I have read that some geocachers take their geo-dogs with them, so I left a rope chew toy in a cache.

Wonder if anyone has claimed it yet??

A hotel room key...

I traded for it just for fun.

After leaving the cache I realized I could not keep it because if my wife found it I am not sure she would believe I got it out of a cache, since there was no logical reason for taking it.

So I threw it out pretty quickly.

We found a hotel key for a mini bar last night! Decided not to trade, because there was nothing i could do with it! Thought it was pretty funny though as it had directions on it for the mini bar etc.

I think we have a winner...

http://www.kcby.com/news/local/104280414.html

Those are the things I hate to read about.

Weirdest thing I found was a log that said "Found this box, left a doobie" Then the next note that said "Took doobie back. Figured I shouldn't leave that behind." followed by a third note "Sorry about that". Funny part was is was dated that day and we swear we passed by the guy going the other direction.

Most uncomfortable thing was when we found a dead rabbit and my (incredibly smart) 3 year old said "Rabbit's sleeping. Wake it up." and I said "No, the rabbit has died." "What's died?" "When the part of you that makes you YOU leaves the body and only the shell remains. The rabbit was probably very, very old and lived a long life before he died." "Oh. OK." No problem, thought I had something there. Tried that same interchange on my son (also incredibly smart) three years later when we found another dead rabbit while geocaching, he said "OK" then burst into tears four hours later screaming that he didn't want to die. :anibad: The life of a parent.....

This is a great thread, as I had no idea such...interesting...items could be found in a cache. I'll have to be more vigilant.

P.S. BTW, we only found wrapped prophylactics in a mattress topper purchased from Costco (no joke, wrapped in the middle like a toy surprise from Cracker Jack!) Boy, was Costco upset! (There were the imprints on the mattress topper to prove our point) Never in a geocache, tho'.

While rummaging through an old shoebox of items that belonged to my late grandfather, I found a staff I.D. badge from an insane asylum from the 1950's. I thought it was weird that it was with my grandfather's stuff. A couple of years ago I dropped it in a cache so others could see it. Wonder whatever happened to it?

I never get to find the REALLY good stuff....

I found a dozen or so little green army men in a cache. And a couple of bouncey balls that were....Dirty! ;)

Do not worry, I am OK and I remembered to do a little CITO. I took the trash out of the cache and replaced it with some "good" swag! :)

Whats wrong with little green army men and bouncy balls. what you define as "Good swag." may not be to others and what if the next person to go to that cache collects dirty bouncy balls and little green army men you would have spoiled their trading. :) well at least your spelling was correct and you didnt put a dead lady next to the cache for some one to find. :ph34r:

I know you are joking, but....They were really dirty, like scratched up and stepped on dirty. I know that these items are not wierd but, any swag is good swag, but dirty swag......thats another story. I just wanted to make sure the cache contents were nice and clean for the next cacher! Honestly though, I can not think of anything wierd I've found that would justify posting here. Maybe some rocks.....and they were not even agates........GEEZ! :)

"They were really dirty, like scratched up and stepped on dirty." Tee Heee! All this time I thought you meant "dirty" as in "naughty", as in rated XXX! Ha! Little green men with bouncy balls!

Edited by Chapdragons

Very interesting reading.

So, the things that I take away from this thread:

1) Make no assumptions about the condition or contents of a cache. Use appropriate caution before/when opening one.

2) People who find a cache (especially non-geocachers who accidentally stumble across it) are not always prepared to leave something, so they are apt to leave whatever they happen to have in their pockets/purse/pack. The interesting thing is that such people apparently DO feel compelled to trade rather than just ransack the cache or even just put it back untouched. Ammo, keys, various personal products all fall into the category of "something I just happened to be carrying that amuse me to leave behind".

3) One man's trash is another man's or child's treasure. A significant portion of this thread (when it's not about dead bodies of various sorts) is about finding "junk" and wondering why it was left. The answer could well be that a parent was humoring a child (the parent whose youngster liked to leave golf balls or the child with a toy dinosaur, for instance) and that the "junk" was not considered to be trash by the one who left it. The lesson would seem to be that while there IS a line between honest to goodness garbage and real swag, that setting an artificial bar in your mind for what constitutes "acceptable" or "appropriate" swag may just be a way of reducing your own enjoyment of the outing instead of appreciating whatever story may exist behind an odd piece of "junk". In the instance of parents allowing children to leave tokens, it might be useful to note in the log that "my five-year-old hopes someone has fun with the army man" or some such.

Never found anything really weird in a cache, but i have found a very weird cache before. It was one in prospect park, i believe called dangler, we looked EVERYWHERE and couldnt find it and the gps was acting up. So on the way to the next cache i walked by a tree and under the branches was a a string tied to a baseball bat and some other stuff, looked like some crazy kind of trap it was so cool.

Since a fair number of the caches I get are in forest covered city parks I often run across areas where kids have been drinking or having other fun, lots of beer cans, a few panties, etc. Never found any of these in a cache, but often nearby. The oddest is when I was checking out a 5/5 cache I will probably never do (It's 90 feet up a tree) and found an adult DVD at the base of the tree. It was a really cheap poorly made one too.

This one probably doesn't qualify as weird because I see it all the time. It does make me really curious though.... How did they get in there?? Almost every ammo can we have ever opened has had at least one spider egg sack in it. How in the world does a spider get into a closed ammo can and what do they live on in there? For that matter, how do they find a mate?

I heard of a tale of a woman that runs around here placing condoms in caches all the time...except she puts holes in them first. Now I have to ask...who in their right mind would even consider using a condom found in a cache? How painfully stupid do you have to be?

Don't put your valuable condoms in the cache. They're just being wasted and my grandkids don't need to be exposed to them yet, they are only little kids.

Q: Why do you put condoms in a geocache?

A: Because I am a social retard, and painfully stupid.

So I was out caching today for three new caches that popped up and at the third one my son was looking under some rocks and suddenly he's "Found it" so I walk over and he's bringing up a lock n' lock container, only thing is the cache is supposed to be a micro. So I look inside and well it wasn't the cache, it was someone's stash. I was like oh crap, that's not the cache buddy! So I put it back went and found the actual cache and started to leave, then realized that theres probably going to be a bunch of more cachers coming up here so I had to do something and decided to call the police. They wanted me to wait for the officer to show him where it was so I waited down the hill until he showed up about 20 mins later. I know it wasn't actually IN the cache but it was close enough to it to be mistaken for the cache so I thought it fit this thread good enough. Anyways now I have a cool geocaching story to share!

Edited by grendel541

I recently opened up a smaller sized ammo can to find that someone has stuffed an empty Bud Light can in it. There were other empties lying around but I guess someone(s) had been drinking in the area and knew about or stumbled upon the cache, must have read the sheet containing the "congratulations! You found it!" note, and instead of muggling the cache, just put the empty can in there, closed it up and re-geopiled it.

my name is very well known with the law enforcement so that helped too.

Am I the only one who sees irony in that statement?

Yeah, that is very ironic; but he needed to add what he was known for in the law enforcemet comunity.

No kidding, they kinda went off on that!! There was enormous irony in the fact that (without explanation) their name was well known to law enforcement. I commend their community involvement, but just say "oops,I should've explained... here's why Johnny Law knows us so, yes it was funny!" Half my life is spent saying "this will be a really funny story tomorrow".

Some weeks ago, i found a

(if you see what i mean, prolly NSFC) . What a surprise, since the geocaching activity is a lot a family activity i took it out the box and replaced it with a small plastic princess. I had a laugh though, i wasn't expecting finding this kind of thing in a box some day. :D

I found ammo can that was shot. The contents streaming from it were needles, can & broken class. My guess is someone deposited their garbage in here after a bonfire or something. I emailed the cache owner told her; she ended up letting me replace it & sending here coords to where it was until she could get out there.

I carry a couple extra cache containers in case I find a cool area I'd like to share by placing a cache. Worked out well for this too though.

Just this weekend, we found a "roach", again, not the insect type, in a small cache directly behind a business. In the description, it said that the owner's knew about the cache and it was ok to poke around a bit behind their building to find the cache. It was one of the very few times Ive felt like I was being watched really closely. I "dropped" the roach to the ground and trampled it into nothingness, using misdirection with the cache container and my hands, signed the log, and skeedaddled outta there!

A twinkie, it tasted great!!! :D

I think I would be a little hesitant to eat food that was in a cache. You just never know.....

Food and candy also attract critters and you can lose a cache that way. Would not want a bear to start Geocaching for food. I don't believe it violates the rules but it aint smart.