Failure to Log

thehelmz

I haven't had a DNF yet, so I haven't had to log one.

Dude this guys talkin like hes hot stuff, never had a DNF. I bet thats hard when youve found a total of 22 caches

umm... you were just PWNED

pwned??? When you first started geocaching, I bet in the first 5 caches you looked for you had at least one DNF. If he just started and has 22 finds, 0 DNF..........That guy is amazing.

Edit:0731_2S.jpg

Edited by unicyclist

If we make it to the cache site (or stage in a multi) and can't find it we always log a DNF, even if we intend to come back later in the day. If we don't make it to the site for whatever reason, we don't log a DNF.

I do know some cachers who just can't bring themselves to log a DNF (too much pride maybe?)

In addition, we used to change our DNF logs to notes if it was determined that the cache had been muggled prior to us searching (i.e you can't find something that's not there). We realized that was us being a little too anal, and have stopped doing that.

I try to log all my DNFs, but I'm sure that I've missed some.

The five from last Sunday were especially disheartening. Of course, now I notice that I also DNFed 5 last January. I of those was the same easy cache that I DNFed this last Sunday. Go figure...

33966cda-9623-4787-ab67-63401734f4e9.jpg

Edited by sbell111

I haven't had a DNF yet, so I haven't had to log one.

Dude this guys talkin like hes hot stuff, never had a DNF. I bet thats hard when youve found a total of 22 caches

umm... you were just PWNED

"Hot Stuff"? lol

Listen *student "thehelmz"*, I was just commenting to the question.

My profession is Land Surveying and we use high grade GPS so I am familiar with and can use it, and I'm also pretty familiar with plodding around in the woods searching for elusive section corners.

Go play *___________*.

*edited by request*

Edited by conradv

I'd like to take this moment to remind you all about the Forum Guidelines, particularly these parts:

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Let's keep it civil, shall we?

Thanks.

"My profession is Land Surveying and we use high grade GPS so I am familiar with and can use it, and I'm also pretty familiar with plodding around in the woods searching for elusive section corners."

I was thinking along the same lines this morning. We're trained to keep an eye out for property evidence in the woods. Anything from set stones, iron pipes/pins flush with the ground, etc. Looking for caches is just using the same observation techniques for something else. Now, in an urban environment all bets are off. :D

Being in a rural area I was rather lucky to not get my first DNF until my 37th hunt.

"My profession is Land Surveying and we use high grade GPS so I am familiar with and can use it, and I'm also pretty familiar with plodding around in the woods searching for elusive section corners."

I was thinking along the same lines this morning. We're trained to keep an eye out for property evidence in the woods. Anything from set stones, iron pipes/pins flush with the ground, etc. Looking for caches is just using the same observation techniques for something else. Now, in an urban environment all bets are off. :D

Being in a rural area I was rather lucky to not get my first DNF until my 37th hunt.

You guys over in WV probably have some neat old Stones. Periodically, we find a few over here in Idaho. One of my proudest finds was an original GLO stone buried under about a foot of duff near two small depressions (old bearing tree locations) after another surveyor reset the corner 15 feet away and filed his Record of Survey... :D

But staying on topic, I agree with ya - sometimes it's anoying - everywhere I go, I subconsiously look for evidence...

You guys are giving me a complex :cry:

There was one cache that I didn't find this year but I filed a Needs Maintaince log as I found that one early last year before I knew what Geocaching was and on my return trip to actually sign the log I noticed that the area had had a major land slide. The cache was buried at the bottom of a gorge.

The owner replaced it and I went back and did my thing.

Maybe I just can't give up or maybe wilderness training in the Tom Brown way of thinking has something to do with it.

It's not entirely about skill, either. You could have X-ray vision, but if the cache was muggled the day before, you're going to DNF it.

... unless you're one of those throw-down types. If you are, you can go \

a/+++

&*[

!@a

NO CARRIER

That's how I got the DNF. Missing then archived. :cry:

Leather-man, I've got this quitting the hunt problem too. I'll literally look for well over an hour, sometimes a lot more. If I'm caching with someone they usually have to beat me with a stick to make me give up. :P

392 dnf's so far logged. I've gone back and found the ones that I've dnf'ed I imagine within about 100 miles of home. One dnf that I really want to go back and find is Martha Stewart's Stash in Nashville, TN. I broke my ankle while really close to it.

Edited by horsegeeks

I always post DNF, I've got nothing to hide.

it motivates me more to go back and get them sooner.

fixed all of them except 2 so far, and neither of those has been found in a year, so I don't think they are still around.

OK, then, when you find a previous DNF, do you go back and remove the DNF Log?

I don't think you should do that as it is part of the history of the cache and the cacher. I sure wouldn't.

I always post DNF, I've got nothing to hide.

it motivates me more to go back and get them sooner.

fixed all of them except 2 so far, and neither of those has been found in a year, so I don't think they are still around.

OK, then, when you find a previous DNF, do you go back and remove the DNF Log?

I didn't know we were supposed to do that.

are we?

kind of seems like cheating. Nobody would know that it took me 2 or 3 tries to get it then.

I had a half-DNF just this weekend!

Looking for an ammo box in the woods, get to ground zero, nothing but scrub trees, wide open ground, no obvious place to hide anything like an ammo can.

Wander around, GPS keps returning me to the same spot. Start a spiral pattern going farther away from the coords with each circle - no joy.

Start thinking silly stuff, turning over rocks way too small to cover an ammo can, cursing the owner and her coords... Still, nada.

After 30 minutes of this I call the owner, it's time for a clue.

Just as the phone starts ringing I hear folks approaching. It's my friends The Hoboes, haven't seen them since GW4, who follow their GPS right up to where I am standing.

I tell them "Hang on, I have looked this whole area over and am calling for a clue" when Bob says "Found it!"

They'd been there maybe 30 seconds.

Four feet from me! Right out in the open... you can see it from 30' away!

Sometimes I feel like SUCH a newbie!

I hardly ever log caches anymore, but if I do should I log a DNF, Find or both (a half-DNF?)? :cry:

I need a 'Shoulda found it' log type!

Ed

I believe what the OP has a belief that the majority of cachers do not log their DNF's in attempt to save face. And by calling us "Geothugs" I believe he was trying to warm up to us in an attempt to find out said information.

I have only recently started to consistently log all of my DNF's after realizing the only way to break the perceived shame of a DNF was to embrace them.

Because I do not believe in elitism in any form I will translate for the OP:

I believe what da OP has uh belief dat da majority o' cachers do not log they DNF'sin attempt ta save face. And by calling us "Geothugs" I believe he wuz trying ta warm up ta us in an attempt ta find out said 411.

I gots only recently started ta consistently log all o' muh ma DNF'safta realizing da only way ta break da pain o' uh DNF wuz ta cookie dem.

Edited by Harriet the Spy

Yeah, but you have over 3,000 finds, I only have 500 so my percentage of DNFs is much higher. So who is the worse geocacher now smarty pants?

Alright, wiseguy. I bet if you left an ammo can sitting on top of a picnic table I'd still find a way to DNF it. Heck, I've DNFd a cache while I was literally standing on top of it! :laughing:

I have not, do not and probably will continue not to log all my DNF's.

But thank you for bringing up the topic and sparking the learned discussions that followed.

You can use this url to see your DNF logs:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3

OK, there some unintentional encoding/misinterpretation there that "true" code jockeys could explain but

the link doesn't directly work for me as 9key posted it.

(Though you can then click

on the subsequent Didn't find it link and there's a nice list of logged DNF's.)

Here's my attempt/experiment to fix it:

(Note: ...&lt...)

I have not, do not and probably will continue not to log all my DNF's.

But thank you for bringing up the topic and sparking the learned discussions that followed.

You can use this url to see your DNF logs:

OK, there some unintentional encoding/misinterpretation there that "true" code jockeys could explain but

the link doesn't directly work for me as 9key posted it.

(Though you can then click

on the subsequent Didn't find it link and there's a nice list of logged DNF's.)

Here's my attempt/experiment to fix it:

(Note: ...&lt...)

Well that is pretty cool! It shows that I've logged 170 DNF's (compared to nearly 1100 finds, once I get finished logging caches from last weekend's trip). I don't think it includes DNF's that were deleted by cache owners though, but that's such a small number I'm not worried about it.

I've got 97 smilies and 13 frownies. 2 of the DNF's were because the cache was not there, it had been removed before I arrived. Still logged the DNF though. Either way that makes my DNF rate over 10% and places me in the category of respectable DNF reporter.

I'll repeat what many other have said - DNFs are a service to the cache owner and other hunters, it is not a reflection of your caching ability.

'Geo-thugs' did kinda make me look bad recently. My cousin and I found a cache in a park with no problem, we practically went straight to the cache. The next day another cacher reports ' looked like wild boars had been looking for stage 4. Remember, folx - "leave the area as you found" it.' Of course, noboby had logged a DNF so the logs looked like we were the jerks tearing stuff up. In the mean time another easier cache in that same park had several finds that day, these same people didn't attempt another cache in the same park? ...... yeah right! :o

was at This Cache today that hadn't had a visit since the beginning of July, even though it's only like .1 miles down a bike trail from another cache that has been visited many times since then. and both are in the middle of nowhere.

was harder to find the unreported cache than the first one, but funny that nobody had even tried in that long when so many went to the other cache. I'm guessing just unreported DNFs.

What's funny is when you see a log where a couple of cachers went out together, and one writes a DNF and mentions that they and the other person found all the other caches except this one, but the other person never logs the DNF. That kind of makes the non-DNFr look a little silly, especially when they log finds for the rest of the caches in the park.

I've also heard people say that they "secretely" DNF a cache. What's what about? Do they mean that they didn't find it and just didn't log a DNF?

Heck I have even posted DNF logs on caches that were archived. :anicute: I didn't know they were archived when I was searching for the cache, so since I didn't find it I'll still proudly post my log. :anicute: Does that make me an even worser cacher than BS or the 3eyedpussy? :ph34r:

Edited by wimseyguy

I log a DNF if something funny happened or if the cache owner needs to know something about the condition of the cache site. If I suspect the cache is still there and it's my fault I can't find it I don't log a DNF because a cache that gathers too many of them will receive less visitors and I don't want to give a cache a bad reputation just because I'm not good enough to find it.