What is the point?

These are indeed a ‘Power Trail’ but not on a par with SP’s Ridgeway Run.
As I've been 'mildly' drawn into this so-called argument, if only by name

And I thought it meant Sock Puppet's Ridgeway Run. :cry:

How I plan my caching day out.Usually 5-8 hours on a Saturday.

I check Google Earth for the possible area I may visit.

Then its...1 cache every mile versus 2 caches every mile....the 2 wins everytime. :P

Excellent question! That would remove the need for a local (it's 200+ miles from habitation) to maintain it, or me to track down who hid the radio-ham box that's hidden there. The geology of this remote pinnacle is of interest... Approvers? :cry:

Prove to us that you've visited to confirm the answer to the required Educational Element for Earth Caches, something you need to visit the site to set and that is not googleable, and I'm sure we'd support your submission :P

Oh and no it would not remove the need for a local to maintain it :cry: Groundspeak intend monitoring all earth caches to insure they are to a high standard and remain that way. Which means a need for maintenance to be carried out :P so no Vacation Earth caches :o

Oh and no it would not remove the need for a local to maintain it :P Groundspeak intend monitoring all earth caches to insure they are to a high standard and remain that way. Which means a need for maintenance to be carried out :cry: so no Vacation Earth caches :cry:

But if there's no box there to maintain is there a need for maintenance? :P

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxfordshire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles). I can see that they meet the guidlines but surely our moderators must have an opinion about the efficacy of this series.

I know of two other canal series, the K&A and the Grand Union which are well spaced even when they are in built up enviroments, but this (by Oxfordshire standards) is in the middle of nowhere!.

If this was a sport, these caches would face the accusation of bringing it into disrepute.

Can anybody truly defend them?

Have not read this whole thread, don't have time so this reply might have been said by someone else.

Given that it is along a short part of a canal path, could disabled cachers have been a consideration?

Where can I find specific info about earth cache hiding requirements, and is there an ETA for them being allowed in the UK again? I see they're still not an option on the pull-down menu when setting a cache.

Once new Earthcaches are being accepted for listing on GC again (which will be announced by GC) you will have to visit Earthcache.org were the submittal form and other information on Earthcaches can be found.

Oh and no it would not remove the need for a local to maintain it :cry: Groundspeak intend monitoring all earth caches to insure they are to a high standard and remain that way. Which means a need for maintenance to be carried out :P so no Vacation Earth caches :P

But if there's no box there to maintain is there a need for maintenance? :cry:

Maintenance visits will be part of Earth caches to insure that there is access to the site, that the question set by the owner can still be answered, as the site could be damaged by natural events or by human intervention. You have to remember that even protected sites such as SSSI's can be illegally damaged by the landowner, which could make it impossible to log a find as the searcher was unable to provide the required answer

Maintenance visits will be part of Earth caches to insure that there is access to the site, that the question set by the owner can still be answered, as the site could be damaged by natural events or by human intervention. You have to remember that even protected sites such as SSSI's can be illegally damaged by the landowner, which could make it impossible to log a find as the searcher was unable to provide the required answer

Fair enough but I guess that for most Earthcaches maintenance will be minimal.

Saying that there's only one in Ireland (Which I've yet to log!) and I've only looked at a couple in the UK so I'm not best placed to say any of that :cry:

What poor old Jolly Jaxs thinks about the swamping of the series that he originated I don’t know, but to my mind at least they have spoilt what would have been a decent and well-conceived set of caches.

Poor OLD :cry: JollyJax seemed more than happy to find these caches when we were out finding them with him last weekend.

Putting aside the issues that surround pock suppetry and each to their own, there would not be a complaint from this quarter if these caches were spread over twice the distance so linking Banbury with Oxford along the canal. I would be in fact applauding them and actively planning to do them in one go.

But what it all comes down to is sheer numbers in a very constrained linear line. It appears to me to have been set up by those and for those only interested in just number collecting and it could be argued that it therefore reflects a lazy mind and maybe a lazy body.

As has been said above "each to their own". I happen to not particularly enjoy doing puzzle caches that require membership of Mensa to solve, to me caching is about getting out and having a good walk in new places. But if other people enjoy such caches I'm not going to get in their way and start complaining about Oxford being flooded by such caches, I just ignore them.

Edit

Why not do every other cache on your way to Banbury, and then the ones you've missed you can get on your way back :cry:

Edited by Phillimore Clan
It appears to me to have been set up by those and for those only interested in just number collecting and it could be argued that it therefore reflects a lazy mind and maybe a lazy body.

What a shame you think this way considering how many disabled people go caching - caches placed thus on non-hilly terrain is a godsend to most of them. Three days ago I found two caches that were so close you could see one from the other, but they still fitted in with the distance rules.

Thanks for pointing out this series though, another lot to go on my 'to do' list! B)